GUILTY AR - Beverly Carter, 49, Little Rock, 25 Sep 2014 - # 5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone even know who he is? Even if all is true that he is an alibi for CL. He has probably been advised not to discuss it. Also, even in this socially savvy world not everyone is online. My husband thinks FB is silly. It would have to be an emergency to get him to text and he would never be on a forum. Pretty much the opposite of me. Ha.

I agree. My husband is not on FB either, and even if he was, the last thing he'd be doing it posting about anything having to do with something like this, even if he was the alibi. Not all FBers are blabber mouths lol!

FWIW, I take a couple of pain meds, and every once in a while they send me for a surprise urine test before I pick up my prescription to make sure they show up (so I am not selling them) and that nothing else shows up (doctor-shopping) and the test results show exactly my two drugs, from a huge list. So they can test very specifically.

Wow! Who is "they" that sends you? Your insurance company? I've never heard of this!

Except wouldn't the attorney at least need to know what the evidence is against her? Does the defense attorney have that information at this point or is he waiting like everyone else?

I really do not understand the laws regarding evidence. To me, an average person, it seems unconstitutional to keep a person incarcerated/arrested without telling them what the evidence you have against them is. I've asked this question before (when the law says LE/prosecutors are required to divulge that).

Wow! Who is "they" that sends you? Your insurance company? I've never heard of this!

I'm not her but I've heard of this. Doctors who treat conditions of chronic pain . Pain management programs.
Selling prescription meds is a money making racket. A bottle of hydrocodone cost less than 5 bucks, but on the street, each pill is worth that much at least.
Also, they want to make sure the person is not abusing their meds or other illegal substances.

I really do not understand the laws regarding evidence. To me, an average person, it seems unconstitutional to keep a person incarcerated/arrested without telling them what the evidence you have against them is. I've asked this question before (when the law says LE/prosecutors are required to divulge that).

I've never followed or been involved in (thru my past of working for an attorney) a sealed case. I don't know how this works but the judge issuing the warrant and deciding the bond would know the evidence for sure.
I'll ask around.

I'm not a lawyer but I think that the prosecutor has to present sufficient evidence of probable cause to get an arrest warrant signed by a judge.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/probable_cause

CL's attorney waived the opportunity to request her release on bond, at least for now, so I don't think her alibis are working out very well.

I've never followed or been involved in (thru my past of working for an attorney) a sealed case. I don't know how this works but the judge issuing the warrant and deciding the bond would know the evidence for sure.
I'll ask around.

Yeah, I understand the judge would know the evidence, but shouldn't the defendant know the evidence against them? I'd certainly want to know what they had on me if I was ever arrested.

Found this list of current real estate scams, something like this could be the reason AL and his accomplice/s set up the "meeting" with Beverly.... They could have used the appointment to gain access to the house, check out the lockbox, taken photos, etc. Maybe they intended to see the other 2 houses that night as well and BC might have caught on to their plan, overheard something or saw them doing something suss - and confronted them...

“Renting” Empty Houses

This is a disturbing, but not uncommon, real estate scam that makes victims of homeowners and renters alike. In this one, enterprising con artists will look for homes that will be abandoned for an extended period of time – often while the actual homeowner is on an extended vacation or is working in another state or even country – and posts listings for the home online. They’ll sometimes claim to be the owner of the home but will also sometimes claim to be someone authorized to rent on behalf of the homeowner. Sometimes the con artist will break into the home and change the locks. Other times, they’ll just access the home using a spare key they’ve discovered somewhere on the property. It also isn’t unheard of for an especially enterprising criminal to pay a locksmith to let them in. Many people who run this type of scam will forge official looking documents for the renter to sign and will then collect rent until the scam is discovered. The end result is always the same. A well meaning renter will contact the con artist about the home listing, will “rent” the home, usually paying in case, and then the real homeowners will return finding someone they don’t know living in their home.

“Renting” Foreclosed on Houses

There are a few ways this one works. Sometimes the perpetrator is a con artist who works the scam much the same way as the scam we talked about above with vacation or seasonal homes. Other times, the homeowner themselves are the perpetrator. Facing foreclosure and feeling there are no other options, they’ll rent their home to an unsuspecting family and take the money to get their own home somewhere else. When the eviction date arrives, the new family will have no choice but to leave although in some cases, the bank will allow the new family to stay in the home for up to three months so they can try to find another place to live.

Another common foreclosure scam involved a fake agent selling a foreclosed on home. A fake agent will gain access to the home (often breaking in) and will take a family on a tour of the home. Often they offer a far lower than market value price on the home to entice buyers. When a buyer decides they are interested in the home, the fake agent will take a deposit and give the buyer a fake phone number. Some fake agents will actually take “deposits” from several buyers at once, all of whom will lose their money. After taking the deposit, the fake agent will have the buyer sign a fake property title deed (most of the time, but not all of the time) and promise to meet said buyer at the home on a specific date to give the buyer the keys to the home. When the buyer arrives on the agreed upon date, usually with moving trucks, the fake agent is nowhere to be found and the phone number doesn’t work. They can’t get into the home they think they purchased and before long, realize they’ve been the victim of a particularly cruel scam.

“Renting” Houses that are Legitimately For Sale

In this scam, a fake real estate agent will post a fake rental listing for a home that is actually for sale. They’ll offer the house at far less than it is worth to draw in potential buyers more quickly. Should the buyer ask about the low price, the fake agent will tell the buyer the person who owns the home has to rent out the property quickly because they are leaving the state for a job, school or something along those lines. The fake agent will take a deposit from any and all interested buyers, have the buyers sign fake rental agreements and will then disappear. This one is especially dangerous because it is often a multi-layer scam. Buyers may not just lose the deposit but the con artist may also use any information provided on the phony rental agreement to steal the potential buyer’s identity.

“Renting” Unavailable Apartments to Out of Town Renters

This is another big one and it is nearly impossible to catch the perpetrator. For this one, the con artist will target out of town renters who are looking for a temporary home while visiting a city for work on while on vacation. The con artist will list a real home for apartment as a temporary rental and then ask potential renters to wire money to cover the security deposit and rent. The renter then arrives at their destination and finds out the property they rented isn’t actually for rent and they have no place to stay. Making it even more difficult, it’s just about impossible to recover the money that was wired as it is incredibly difficult to trace.

http://homeestates.net/how-to-spot-10-common-real-estate-scams/

Yeah, I understand the judge would know the evidence, but shouldn't the defendant know the evidence against them? I'd certainly want to know what they had on me if I was ever arrested.

I'm sure that she has a pretty good idea based on search warrants and interrogation questions but she will get to see the state's evidence against her when her lawyer files a motion to share discovery. (I think. I'm not a lawyer and don't know anything about Arkansas criminal procedure.)

Her attorney has most likely already received the probable cause affidavit but the judge ordered the case sealed and there is a gag order. Just because we haven't seen it doesn't mean she hasn't. This is for her own benefit, IMO. Anyone who has followed a case in Florida knows how damning prosecution's evidence can look on its own. She would be crucified in the media.

JMO.

I'm not her but I've heard of this. Doctors who treat conditions of chronic pain . Pain management programs.
Selling prescription meds is a money making racket. A bottle of hydrocodone cost less than 5 bucks, but on the street, each pill is worth that much at least.
Also, they want to make sure the person is not abusing their meds or other illegal substances.

My doctor has to do this a min of 2 times a yr randomly, the report is sent to FDA

I'm sure that she has a pretty good idea based on search warrants and interrogation questions but she will get to see the state's evidence against her when her lawyer files a motion to share discovery. (I think. I'm not a lawyer and don't know anything about Arkansas criminal procedure.)

Her attorney has most likely already received the probable cause affidavit but the judge ordered the case sealed and there is a gag order. Just because we haven't seen it doesn't mean she hasn't. This is for her own benefit, IMO. Anyone who has followed a case in Florida knows how damning prosecution's evidence can look on its own. She would be crucified in the media.

JMO.

When did they get the gag order? I thought Jegley said he "might" get a gag order? With the case sealed there's not much to know, but after the interview of AL is when he said they might get a gag order.

When did they get the gag order? I thought Jegley said he "might" get a gag order? With the case sealed there's not much to know, but after the interview of AL is when he said they might get a gag order.

The interview started being advertised at the same time the **requests??** for a gag order was announced. The interview may have been the impetus, IDK. I think you're right. Just proposed not imposed.

They said they might get a gag order when the video aired and by the time she was arrested, the case had been sealed.

I was thinking that the "might ask for gag order" was a while back. I was thinking I read that they hadn't asked for one because both lawyers and LEO were on same page about talking about case. (paraphrasing) But I have missed some things, busy time of year ...

She was smart enough to keep her mouth shut, unlike AL during his perp walk.

True!!
She already had an attorney though. Keep that in mind. I'm sure ole Richard advised her to look straight ahead and not say a word.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ademith83