GUILTY AR - Beverly Carter, 49, Little Rock, 25 Sep 2014 - # 8

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
One thing I have been wondering about is that the judge denied AL's complaint to dismiss his attorney. Is that wise? Won't that set up an issue for him to appeal a conviction if he is convicted of the crimes? It seems like this soon in the game the judge would have allowed him to dismiss his attorney and get another one?

One thing I have been wondering about is that the judge denied AL's complaint to dismiss his attorney. Is that wise? Won't that set up an issue for him to appeal a conviction if he is convicted of the crimes? It seems like this soon in the game the judge would have allowed him to dismiss his attorney and get another one?

That could be. It seems there are so many loopholes that can cause issues like that. I wonder if it is not like a game to AL, and he already has that in the back of his head. I would think it would be incredibly hard for an attorney to defend a person, when the person doesn't want them to represent them.

That could be. It seems there are so many loopholes that can cause issues like that. I wonder if it is not like a game to AL, and he already has that in the back of his head. I would think it would be incredibly hard for an attorney to defend a person, when the person doesn't want them to represent them.

Good point.

I have a feeling this trial is going to be a three-ring circus, with AL pulling stunt after stunt. Ugh.

Well gosh, I hope if they want to poke holes they try to poke holes in the evidence presented by the prosecution. I hope they get a jury that will be examining evidence and not theories so the defendants at least get a fair trial.

Not sure if you have watched any jury selections of high profile trials or been on a jury. I have watched online and served on a local jury. In the age of social media, they ask potential jurors if they have followed the case online and or posted/commented. In the George Zimmerman trial, during jury selection, potential jurors were asked if they had commented/participated on any message boards or commented on fb. IIRC at least 1 did and was excused. I recall during Casey Anthony case for instance, they had attorney's sitting Def and Pros tables going thru social media sites as another attorney was questioning each potential juror. So that's good, the jury will be screened for the best unbiased jury possible.

As will any witnesses or potential witness, whether actually involved in some role or character witness for each defendant. In Casey Anthony's case one of the lead investigators> "On cross-examination, defense attorney Jose Baez asked Melich if he ever used the nickname “Dick Tracy Orlando,” attempting to expose the fact that the detective had posted messages on Websleuths, thereby impeaching his credibility." ( http://www.examiner.com/article/det...jury-hears-casey-anthony-s-interview-with-him )

I don't remember now how long Arron Lewis fb acct was up after he was arrested, but Crystal Lowery acct was active til shortly after her arrest. Anything LEO needed I would think they got copies of and if plan to use as authentic for any evidence purpose, will get it verified by the FB or the other social media sites. ( Wondering if they connect to fb using smart phone, would they have to also get verified from the site, I would hope so, but it would give a data footprint or whatever its called)

Did AL social media have the gps or location activated on his posts? That's another thing.. with AL posting on his POF that Saturday night.. What is going to be important in this case at both trials....is as they say.... LOCATION- LOCATION- LOCATION.....jmo

Drinking my morning coffee reading over the new docs that Beaglebrd gave us.. Thanks!
https://contexte.aoc.arkansas.gov/i...resent2?DMS_ID=R00A1M7IJBP3ITGG1Y0N3UCLU1JD1R

Just got thru reading the case that the Judge referenced:
Hamilton v. State, 74 S.W.3d 615 (Ark. 2002)
Supreme Court of Arkansas
Filed: May 9th, 2002
Citations: 74 S.W.3d 615, 348 Ark. 532
Docket Number: CR 01-391
Judges: Robert L. Brown

VI. Motion
After this case was submitted to this court for decision, Hamilton filed a pro se motion to add a point to his direct appeal. We deny the motion. First, the motion comes too late for our consideration. Moreover, an appellant is entitled as a matter of right to representation by counsel on the direct appeal of a felony conviction. Hamilton is represented by counsel in this appeal. An appellant is not entitled, however, to accept appointment of counsel and also to submit a pro se brief. See Franklin v. State, 327 Ark. 537, 939 S.W.2d 836 (1997) (per curiam).

https://www.courtlistener.com/opinion/1384010/hamilton-v-state/

Drinking my morning coffee reading over the new docs that Beaglebrd gave us.. Thanks!
https://contexte.aoc.arkansas.gov/i...resent2?DMS_ID=R00A1M7IJBP3ITGG1Y0N3UCLU1JD1R

Just got thru reading the case that the Judge referenced:
Hamilton v. State, 74 S.W.3d 615 (Ark. 2002)
Supreme Court of Arkansas
Filed: May 9th, 2002
Citations: 74 S.W.3d 615, 348 Ark. 532
Docket Number: CR 01-391
Judges: Robert L. Brown

VI. Motion
After this case was submitted to this court for decision, Hamilton filed a pro se motion to add a point to his direct appeal. We deny the motion. First, the motion comes too late for our consideration. Moreover, an appellant is entitled as a matter of right to representation by counsel on the direct appeal of a felony conviction. Hamilton is represented by counsel in this appeal. An appellant is not entitled, however, to accept appointment of counsel and also to submit a pro se brief. See Franklin v. State, 327 Ark. 537, 939 S.W.2d 836 (1997) (per curiam).

https://www.courtlistener.com/opinion/1384010/hamilton-v-state/

I saw that. Interesting point. Seems like AL must fire his attorney BEFORE he files pro se motions is the way I read that. Did you get the same meaning?

That is great about your daughter. I was never able to have kids and my step-daughter is 24 and on her own. My husband retired in April and we have been together almost 24/7 since then. So our house stays pretty quiet these days.

OT: Congratulations on your husbands retirement! I work (as a civilian since 1986) for the SC NG and know first hand the dedication of our men and women; AGR, Technicians, M-Day and civilians. Also, kudos to the spouses (you) for their unrelenting support of our troops in many different ways. In the SC Guard, it's mainly the spouses who support and work hard for programs such as Family Support, Wounded Warrior Project and so many other groups.
ETA: The TN Guard Family as well.

She is our only one. We were unable to have children so she is our joy. I wish I had a house full. I love it when she has sleep overs. All that laughter does a heart good.

NJ: I hope you and your family have a very Merry Christmas! Our children surely are joys. I think the slowing down of comments on this thread may very well have to do Christmas nearing. People are busy, hopefully with their families and dear friends.

Snipped

As will any witnesses or potential witness, whether actually involved in some role or character witness for each defendant. In Casey Anthony's case one of the lead investigators> "On cross-examination, defense attorney Jose Baez asked Melich if he ever used the nickname “Dick Tracy Orlando,” attempting to expose the fact that the detective had posted messages on Websleuths, thereby impeaching his credibility." ( http://www.examiner.com/article/det...jury-hears-casey-anthony-s-interview-with-him )

Snipped your comment. I remember when Melich was posting here.

That cracks me up! People involved in case should know better especially one of the lead investigators lol. I laughed when I saw it on tv

I was on a crime forum once where the perp was posting right up until the day his wife's body was found and he was carted off to jail.

OT: Congratulations on your husbands retirement! I work (as a civilian since 1986) for the SC NG and know first hand the dedication of our men and women; AGR, Technicians, M-Day and civilians. Also, kudos to the spouses (you) for their unrelenting support of our troops in many different ways. In the SC Guard, it's mainly the spouses who support and work hard for programs such as Family Support, Wounded Warrior Project and so many other groups.
ETA: The TN Guard Family as well.

Thank you so much. He truly loved what he did. I am extremely proud of him. :)

Visitation at Pulaski County Regional Detention Center for last names A-M are Saturday and Mondays. Wonder how many people will be getting out and going down for that 30 min visit. But if you travel over a 100 miles one way I believe you can get a special visit time. (that's good for family out of town) http://pcso.org/JailVisitationInfo.shtml

This is O/T and not directly related to this case but thought I'd share it here due to the discussion of possible witnesses who be called in to testify etc and does show just how far the justice system does go to pull in and involve any and all individuals related to a case.
An ex-colleague of mine (who I worked with in our medical profession), her husband was involved in a fatal accident while driving under the influence of alcohol which resulted in the death of his brother who was his passenger. (They were the only two in the vehicle and it was a single vehicle accident). This case went on for almost 2 years before finally being heard before her husband was actually sentenced.
To make matters worse, she was on a forum on the world-wide web discussing the case, things that she thought didn't obtain enough personal information or anything that could cause any harm to the case, seeking reassurance, reaching out to see what rumors, stories, others had heard etc etc etc and trying to justify Mr's actions, making excuses for him, re-iterating what a good person he was and yada yada yada. Now remember, Mr's legal counsel team had specifically told them both NOT to discuss the case with anyone whatsoever, other than their legal counsel of course.
Anyhow, he was sentenced, he received 25 years in prison. She also was charged with several charges and faces 5-10 years in prison.
And when the Judge read the sentencing for Mr, the Judge specifically reiterated two times that THE one thing Mrs should NOT have been doing was discussing on the world-wide web ANYTHING to do with her husband's case but actually thanked her that she did as it HELPED the courts win their case against her husband which as the Judge mentioned should be common sense; however, it happens all the time.
Moral to the story, from my point of view: Anyone can read on the world-wide web; most forums and/or support groups you do not have to even be registered to READ what information people post; there is no way to retract/take back what has already been put out there for EVERYone and ANYone to see.

I have been reading off an on, about the Heather Elvis case. In that case LE used both private residence and business security cameras that captured video of the accused killers that helped with evidence.

I wonder if LE has been able to use anything like this in the search for evidence on this case? I know they might not know the exact route but that would be very interesting if something like this were to exist.

Security Cameras at the concrete plant in Cabot (grave site) would make this a slam dunk case, in part if it show faces... IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Owlsorflowers