GUILTY AR - Beverly Carter, 49, Little Rock, 25 Sep 2014 - # 8

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Regarding the judge not allowing AL to fire his attorney. I believe the judge is aware of the laws and what can be appealed. I don't know the law, but there has to be something in place that keeps a defendant from firing their attorneys. I know that Jodi Arias has tried and tried to fire hers and the judge won't allow it. AL is charged with Capital Murder and he needs an attorney. He'd drag this on to infinity with a judge allowing him to do that and make all the rules. I think the process could be done if some other attorney stepped up and made the request though.

I don't know the law either but it just seems that it is a violation of some legal right to be forced to have an attorney you don't want or trust representing you. I'm not saying that is the reality but just that it is AL's reality. We know he looks for violations of his rights to argue. If there is a loop hole he will find it. I just don't want to see the judge give him one.

I don't know the law either but it just seems that it is a violation of some legal right to be forced to have an attorney you don't want or trust representing you. I'm not saying that is the reality but just that it is AL's reality. We know he looks for violations of his rights to argue. If there is a loop hole he will find it. I just don't want to see the judge give him one.

Exactly, we have to remember he did manage to win almost $60k in a lawsuit. Which it appears the state didn't even try to fight. He is sneaky.

I am re-posting a post from earlier today that I deleted as a misunderstanding. It is in response to southsleuth's post thanking our military and their families.

My husband retired 3 years ago from USMC after serving 30 years. Semper Fi. Our military members and their families (IMO) deserve and do appreciate our thanks for what they have done and continue to do for our country.
My father was in the USMC, WWII, Pacific.

No telling what AL will offer up in his defense. He probably balked at the mandatory psych exam because he thinks he's saner than they are. Thinks he can pull over an insanity plea which is WAY harder and successful than he can imagine. It's mostly TV/Cop programs that feature the insanity plea but in real life it's all but impossible. Very rare. It's also tough to keep hiring and firing lawyers because they don't meet his high lofty standards. If he gets convicted and appeals due to him not being properly represented, well, to do that the appellate court would have to go over it and approve it. And, guess what? They are all attorneys and not too inclined to smear one of their own. As for defending himself...let his smart arse try! What will he do if he gets himself convicted? Call himself a fool on appeal? I don't have any links to this data, just heard in on an NPR series. So I guess IJMO.

This is the Correctional Mental Health Screen for Men, from the US Dept of Justice. They say it is given at intake and is used to determine if you are to be recommended for further mental evaluation. A "yes" to 6 or more automatically refers you for further mental health evaluation. See how you do... ;).

I think the repeated use of "ever" makes it hard to not fall into a category for further evaluation. Has anyone not had worries that are difficult to dispel? Has anyone never tried to stop thinking about something terrible they experienced or witnessed? Etc. These so called mental health diagnostic tools appear to me to be terribly vague, crude and ...non-medically based, IMO. But they say they need to make quick 1-2 minute inexpensive interviews for practical purposes. Full set of intake evaluations at link. There is a different one for women.

https://www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles1/nij/216152.pdf

QUESTIONS

1. Have you ever had worries that you just can’t get rid of?

2. Some people find their mood changes frequently – as if they spend everyday on an emotional roller coaster. Does this sound like you?

3. Do you get annoyed when friends or family complain about their problems? Or do people complain that you’re not sympathetic to their problems?

4. Have you ever felt like you didn’t have any feelings, or felt distant or cut off from other people or from your surroundings?

5. Has there ever been a time when you felt so irritable that you found yourself shouting at people or starting fights or arguments?

6. Do you often get in trouble at work or with friends because you act excited at first but then lose interest in projects and don’t follow through?

7. Do you tend to hold grudges or give people the silent treatment for days at a time?

8. Have you ever tried to avoid reminders, or to not think about, something terrible that you experienced or witnessed?

9. Has there ever been a time when you felt depressed most of the day for at least 2 weeks?

10. Have you ever been troubled by repeated thoughts, feelings, or nightmares about something you experienced or witnessed?

11. Have you ever been in a hospital for non-medical reasons such as in a psychiatric hospital? (Do NOT include going to an Emergency Room if you were not hospitalized.)

12. Have you ever felt constantly on guard or watchful even when you didn’t need to, or felt jumpy and easily startled?

Regarding the judge not allowing AL to fire his attorney. I believe the judge is aware of the laws and what can be appealed. I don't know the law, but there has to be something in place that keeps a defendant from firing their attorneys. I know that Jodi Arias has tried and tried to fire hers and the judge won't allow it. AL is charged with Capital Murder and he needs an attorney. He'd drag this on to infinity with a judge allowing him to do that and make all the rules. I think the process could be done if some other attorney stepped up and made the request though.

I wonder if he will bring his coloring book and crayons in to courtroom like John Couey did? jmo

Here is what hit me this morning. When LE had AL there questioning him TM had already been questioned and released. LE said the questioned him 4 hrs and he wasn't involved. Well, we know LE was on to AL right away . Im thinking the truck may have been TM but AL was driving it. CL in the silver car. Maybe he asked TM to borrow it. Once the media broke the story the truck story was being told and also a neighbor told it. What if TM heard it and said, "Oh no. That sounds like my truck." What if TM called LE then and told them he had loaned his truck to AL so that is why they became suspicious right away? We dont know exactly when they questioned TM.TM could have been the one that pointed them in AL direction. This would make alot of sense, explain the truck and why no one else has been arrested. Maybe AL thought if he used someone elses vehicle and it was spotted it would point away from him. Also why he pointed a finger in that direction. jmo

Here is what hit me this morning. When LE had AL there questioning him TM had already been questioned and released. LE said the questioned him 4 hrs and he wasn't involved. Well, we know LE was on to AL right away . Im thinking the truck may have been TM but AL was driving it. CL in the silver car. Maybe he asked TM to borrow it. Once the media broke the story the truck story was being told and also a neighbor told it. What if TM heard it and said, "Oh no. That sounds like my truck." What if TM called LE then and told them he had loaned his truck to AL so that is why they became suspicious right away? We dont know exactly when they questioned TM.TM could have been the one that pointed them in AL direction. This would make alot of sense, explain the truck and why no one else has been arrested. Maybe AL thought if he used someone elses vehicle and it was spotted it would point away from him. Also why he pointed a finger in that direction. jmo

Well this is an interesting theory, however if they thought a specific vehicle was involved, wouldn't they have seized it to search for evidence?

Well this is an interesting theory, however if they thought a specific vehicle was involved, wouldn't they have seized it to search for evidence?

We haven't officially heard of any vehicles period being seized that I'm aware of. The only thing I've seen if a media link about an envelope being taken out of trash can. Or at least, thats all I remember seeing. Could it be because the records were sealed? I guess I wonder because LE was on to him immediately and the truck was reported (by the neighbor )maybe he borrowed it in case someone saw him there and the owner may have went to LE once he heard and put 2 & 2 together. Its the only thing I could think of to explain the truck and LE being on to him so soon. The best of my understanding AL didnt have a truck? In my theory it really could have been anyone. Not necessarily TM. But wrapped it into AL throwing out that statement.

We haven't officially heard of any vehicles period being seized that I'm aware of. The only thing I've seen if a media link about an envelope being taken out of trash can. Or at least, thats all I remember seeing. Could it be because the records were sealed? I guess I wonder because LE was on to him immediately and the truck was reported (by the neighbor )maybe he borrowed it in case someone saw him there and the owner may have went to LE once he heard and put 2 & 2 together. Its the only thing I could think of to explain the truck and LE being on to him so soon. The best of my understanding AL didnt have a truck? In my theory it really could have been anyone. Not necessarily TM. But wrapped it into AL throwing out that statement.

No AL did not have a truck. Yes there was an envelope taken out of the trash on the Sunday they searched the house the 1st time.

I have read articles where people who have been found not competent to stand trial (in Arkansas) and have stayed in the State Hosp (mental) until deemed competent. Also some cases I have seen where the testing took months. I would think some of the reason for the great length is so many patients needing evaluations. Depending on if the person has already been diag with something in past, whatever that diag further testing.

It seems like and have to go back and read on links but wasn't AL ordered some sort of psychological treatment in Utah? I may be misremembering but seems like I read that and something on drug. I will have to see if I can find where I read that.

Also, AL knows too, if he gets labeled insane, none of his legal works would hold water and he would possibly be held in a different part of the prison than general or whatever population he is used to. JMO

Exactly, we have to remember he did manage to win almost $60k in a lawsuit. Which it appears the state didn't even try to fight. He is sneaky.

$60,000 now days (IMO) isn't really that much money especially to the State of Arkansas, or any state for that manner. It would cost the state probably close to that or more in time and/or wages, court costs, filing fees, etc. to fight it. And I am just Guessing they also have insurance that may play a role in there somewhere as well. So, IMO, him winning this $60,000 lawsuit does not say anything to how smart he is, or rather how smart he THINKS he is. After all, our new vehicle that we just purchased and paid for was $58,000.

I believe they were on to him so fast, because he had BC's phone, and it led them right to his house.

Going back to an earlier post by nojustice (snipped) because I think it provides some good insight into ALs MO when he's seeking cash. Most of us just work harder when we are low on funds, but AL scams and cons harder.

NJ said:
The ex was called by AL after CL kicked him out. AL tried to extort money out of the ex to the tune of $5000.00 for information that CL was a prostitute. This happened in Jan 2014
So in Jan, just 9 mos prior to the murder/ kidnapping, he was attempting to extort $5K from his girlfriend's ex (and they were married in April after this...) This was AL realizing he needed to get back to "work". And extortion was just one task amongst many in his line of work. He was kicked out and probably desperate for some get by cash. What to do? Extortion or theft or credit card scams? The call to CLs ex gave him an opportunity to seek revenge against her --and "earn a living" at the same time! A twofer.

It's very plausible in light of that recent stab at extortion, he could have intended to use Beverly for something similar. And to him, it was just another day at work.... until it wasn't and something went very wrong.

Might as well get used to it. We will probably be wildly theorizing here till the end of February! ;)

Going back to an earlier post by nojustice (snipped) because I think it provides some good insight into ALs MO when he's seeking cash. Most of us just work harder when we are low on funds, but AL scams and cons harder.

NJ said:

So in Jan, just 9 mos prior to the murder/ kidnapping, he was attempting to extort $5K from his girlfriend's ex (and they were married in April after this...) This was AL realizing he needed to get back to "work". And extortion was just one task amongst many in his line of work. He was kicked out and probably desperate for some get by cash. What to do? Extortion or theft or credit card scams? The call to CLs ex gave him an opportunity to seek revenge against her --and "earn a living" at the same time! A twofer.

It's very plausible in light of that recent stab at extortion, he could have intended to use Beverly for something similar. And to him, it was just another day at work.... until it wasn't and something went very wrong.

Might as well get used to it. We will probably be wildly theorizing here till the end of February! ;)

I don't want to speak for NJ but I *think* it was mentioned later that January was a typo, and wasn't when AL did that. I maybe wrong, but I don't think he even knew CL in January. In December he was still with the girl that he bought the car for, and they were together off and on through March. I remember this because AL had a video posted on his FB page, where he had a one night stand with some gal to make the girlfriend jealous. I want to say the girlfriend's name was Ashley but that maybe wrong.

You are absolutely right though, about his concept of getting money. I would bet, with all the in and out of prison in the last 13 years (he was first convicted at age 17) that he has never had a real job for more than a few months at a time. Just like when he talked in that TV interview about getting peoples credit cards and scamming them. It is almost like he doesn't even see them as people, just a way to make fast money.

I don't want to speak for NJ but I *think* it was mentioned later that January was a typo, and wasn't when AL did that. I maybe wrong, but I don't think he even knew CL in January. In December he was still with the girl that he bought the car for, and they were together off and on through March. I remember this because AL had a video posted on his FB page, where he had a one night stand with some gal to make the girlfriend jealous. I want to say the girlfriend's name was Ashley but that maybe wrong.

You are absolutely right though, about his concept of getting money. I would bet, with all the in and out of prison in the last 13 years (he was first convicted at age 17) that he has never had a real job for more than a few months at a time. Just like when he talked in that TV interview about getting peoples credit cards and scamming them. It is almost like he doesn't even see them as people, just a way to make fast money.

Oh Ok, do you recall when the actual date was? I'm putting together a timeline to keep all these things in order - along with my 743 theories and all the characters involved. :) And yes, the girlfriend in the video at the motel was from Utah....

I was watching an episode of Snapped yesterday while folding the laundry. In the story, a man and woman were going through a bitter divorce and the woman was super nasty/mean. She got a younger male friend/coworker of hers to go over to her estranged husband's house in the middle of the night under the pretense they were going to rob him (of some items he'd taken that she wanted back I think). When he answered the door, they used chloroform and a stun gun to subdue him, and then used zip ties to tie him up. The man insisted they were not going there to kill him, and they never really did say how he died. It kinda made it seem like he died from the stun gun, but it could have been the acid. They took him back to the lady's house and put him into a barrel and attempted to dissolve him in hydrochloric acid. (They were scientists/she owned a lab). The man, in a videotaped confession, described the crime in detail and said he didn't pour any of the acid on him, and said he didn't know they were going to kill him, or at least he didn't. He described his role as just helping, an observer, and when she called him the next day or so to rent a uhaul for her because she decided she wanted to move the body, he refused because he wanted no more involvement. His trial was first, and his confession was allowed in, and even though he said he did not actually murder the man and described his role, he was convicted of first degree murder. He may have said he was the one that used the stun gun, I can't remember. At her trial, his videotaped confession was not allowed in, but the news about his conviction was. She turned on him and said she had nothing to do with it, and he did it all on his own, and she only helped him after the fact. There was proof she called her estranged husband at 2AM the morning he went missing, and she said it was about their son who was ill. She was also convicted of first degree murder. I just read the story on Wikipedia and it said he was not charged with kidnapping, but she was. The both got life without parole.

(The woman's name is Larissa Schuster in case anyone is curious and wants to look it up.)

The case reminded me of this one in many ways. The rumored stun gun, subduing the victim as soon as he opened the door, the insistence by at least one of them that the death was accidental, the motive being robbery, transporting the body to another location to dispose of it, a man and woman being involved but not equally.

I go back and forth with to what extent I believe CL was involved in this. When I think about the fact that CL was at school/clinicals on the night of the kidnapping, I find myself expecting to hear the charges against her are reduced to something like an accessory after the fact. But then I saw this episode of Snapped and both people were convicted of the same crime even though one of them didn't actually commit the murder (however, they were both there). There actually was no solid proof that either one of them did the murder, and who was actually lying about their level of involvement, but both were convicted of it. I do not believe CL actually murdered BC and after watching this story, it leads me to believe that maybe it doesn't matter and she can be charged with the same exact crime because she had knowledge of it and/or helped after the fact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mjF7nx