GUILTY AR - Beverly Carter, 49, Little Rock, 25 Sep 2014 - # 8

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Merry Christmas fellow sleuthers and seekers of justice. Rest on the wings of angels Beverly.

About 3 years ago she had written a beautiful post on fb about her son who had been killed so young in the accident, and she made a promise to him that they would watch over his daughter and take good care of her for him.... until the day that she would be reunited with her son again. I doubt when she wrote that she could have ever imagined that day might be just some handful of months away.

There will be a massive chunk of holiday joy carved out of the Carter family's Christmas this year.

I am reading a very good book called “Cruel Doubt” by Joe McGinniss (based on a true story from what I understand) about a son and two friends charged with killing the son's step-father and trying to kill his mother too. And one of the two friends accused, his lawyer has decided to not allow him to get on the stand because his lawyer says – “that no matter how often a jury was instructed that a defendant's decision not to testify should not count against him, it almost always did. Presumption of innocence was a splendid concept in the abstract, but what was found far more frequently in the real world of the the courtroom was a presumption of guilt.”

Also interesting in the story is the prosecutor tackled the question of reasonable doubt: “Lawyers when they talk about it, sometimes want to make it such a heavy burden that you feel like you want to put it in a wheelbarrow and push it around.” But really, he said, it was just a matter of common sense - “good old, plain old, everyday common sense.” Then he said, “let me give you an example. This is a hunting area up here (in the area they are in in NC) – deer hunters, duck hunters. Suppose I were to go out in the field during the deer season, and I were to spy this buck deer standing out in the field. And I were to take my rifle and I would take aim and I would fire and the deer would fall over. And I would look at the defense lawyers and say “oh look, what a fine buck there I have killed and they would shake their heads and say, “oh no, you didn't kill that deer. That deer died of a heart attack.” Well, (the prosecutor says) I suppose that's possible. But is it reasonable? Does it make good common sense?

I found these things interesting and not that they directly apply to Beverly's case but it does make a person stop and think.

I will alert a Mod to this post to make sure it does not violate any rules as it is not directly related to this case but since the board is slow, I wanted to share it.

I suppose Christmas is just like any other day in jail. Maybe they get an extra cookie? Al has had them before but this was CL first one. Probably a rude awakening to her.
Beverly Carter was set up and walked right into a death trap. Whether intentional or accident doesn't matter. The felony kidnapping brought about her death. If CL had ANY involvement in it, she is just as guilty as AL. Her best defense is probably to just play stupid like she did with not knowing AL was a 7 time felon. However, I have a feeling LE have evidence to contradict that. At the end of the day, I doubt it will make a huge difference in who did what. This will be their new life now if found guilty.Not such happy holidays. At least they can still visit their loved ones through a glass. Carter family will never get to see their loved one again. JMO.

I wonder when AL will be sent to the Arkansas State Hospital to start his Mental Eval? Soon, I would think.

Since the judge said he is getting one, wouldnt they want to get something started before his next court date if they are going to use that as a defense? Can they proceed with a trial until that is done?

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1410/01/ng.01.html
GRACE: OK, everybody, you`re seeing the shots of him now. I want to get back to what we were talking about. Dan Grossman joining me from KTHV.

We don`t know whether the autopsy is done yet. When we find out if the state is seeking the death penalty, it`s my understanding the family, Beverly`s family, wants the death penalty.

Perhaps the autopsy report came back close to the time CL was arrested?

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1410/01/ng.01.html
GRACE: OK, everybody, you`re seeing the shots of him now. I want to get back to what we were talking about. Dan Grossman joining me from KTHV.

We don`t know whether the autopsy is done yet. When we find out if the state is seeking the death penalty, it`s my understanding the family, Beverly`s family, wants the death penalty.
cant stand Nancy Grace and I take everything she says or implies with a grain of salt. If she was such a great Pros, why isn't she still doing that. JMHO.

These interviews were back when she was interviewing CC &CC Jr. Figured she heard it from one of them.

cant stand Nancy Grace and I take everything she says or implies with a grain of salt. If she was such a great Pros, why isn't she still doing that. JMHO.

I'm sure she makes a loooot more money right where she is!

The deadline for Lewis to undergo a mental evaluation is Feb. 26.
http://www.arkansasmatters.com/stor...ng-murder-case-o/11196/hPbbfWA5c0un0gYzCqwwVQ

From the above link:
"There's some other things going on that we'll be dealing with between now and then. I don't have all the discovery yet. I'm not sure what all the facts are at this point. We should have those in the next couple of days and we will proceed after that," said Jim Hensley, attorney for Lewis.

BBM... Wonder if some of that discovery is why AL Attorney got him to go ahead and get the Mental Eval done? That news story piece was dated Dec 3, they should have whatever it was that Hensley was talking about "facts" by now. CL Attorney didn't want to do or say anything til after AL Feb 26th court date. IIRC. So I guess her Attorney should have some "facts" by now too.

Do any of you locals have knowledge of CL's or AL's public defenders' track records in court?

I'm sure she makes a loooot more money right where she is!

Oh no doubt! I think many have a love/hate about NG. I just don't like her, along with a lot of those like Vinnie P and Jane V Mitchell. They are like fingernails on chalkboard to me. :gaah: I hold it against no one for liking her.

Do any of you locals have knowledge of CL's or AL's public defenders' track records in court?

AL lawyer isn't a public defender. CL has a public defender on her Capital Murder and Kidnapping - Qualls. On the Theft by Rec.. well who knows who lawyer is there. Court Docket has Holiman and Qualls.

AFAIK, Holiman never was CL Attny on the Capital Murder and Kidnapping.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JayneDrop