GUILTY AR - Beverly Carter, 49, Little Rock, 25 Sep 2014 - # 8

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
CL (and AL) have to have attorneys qualified to defend them re: Capital Murder, Death Penalty. Don't know where the other named lawyers fit in. Pretty sure she will have several since they (attorneys) have to be qualified to argue before the State Supreme Court AND the US Supreme Court.

http://www.fox16.com/story/d/story/...ect-in-realtor-k/25635/V02LyEdNP0mpNB1feGdP3A

Arron Lewis pleaded not guilty by reason of mental disease or defect in Pulaski Co. Circuit Court on Wednesday and his wife Crystal Lowery also pleaded not guilty.

LITTLE ROCK, AR - A mental evaluation has been ordered for one of two suspects accused of kidnapping and killing a real estate agent.

Just thinking, since AL entered this not guilty by mental disease or defect plea, wouldn't that be why the judge "had" to deny Arron's request to refuse the mental evaluation? I would think it would be. Maybe I can get my thinking cap back on now that Christmas is over.

CL (and AL) have to have attorneys qualified to defend them re: Capital Murder, Death Penalty. Don't know where the other named lawyers fit in. Pretty sure she will have several since they (attorneys) have to be qualified to argue before the State Supreme Court AND the US Supreme Court.
I agree. And with CL having a Public Defender, no telling how many she may have before ever gets to trial.

Just from what I got from reading here, and I could still be misunderstanding. But the way I took it... Holiman was a lawyer of a friend of CL. Holiman agreed be Attny pro bono for CL on the Theft by Rec charges. He says in that clip about being completely caught off guard on CL getting arrested on the Capital Murder and Kidnapping. AFAIK Holiman never had intentions on being her Attorney for the CM/Kidnapping. The Theft by Rec shows it is bound to Circuit court too.

I am not sure when Qualls name was added to the Theft by Rec case, possible it was added after she was arrested on the Capital Murder and Kidnapping and he is just going to be her Attorney for all of it now. Just know that Holiman name is still showing on the Court Docket page.

O/T but does everyone else page look different? Mine is all Centered. Easier to read, not complaining.

AL lawyer isn't a public defender. CL has a public defender on her Capital Murder and Kidnapping - Qualls. On the Theft by Rec.. well who knows who lawyer is there. Court Docket has Holiman and Qualls.

AFAIK, Holiman never was CL Attny on the Capital Murder and Kidnapping.

He has a pro bono attorney. Right? Does someone just walk in and say they will take the case or how do they get them? I know a public defender is assigned to a case by the state. So. if AL had been successful at firing his pro bono attorney, then I guess the state would appoint him an attorney. CL seems to have a good support group of friends. I wonder if they have thought about all chipping in to hire her a really good attorney?

http://www.fox16.com/story/d/story/...ect-in-realtor-k/25635/V02LyEdNP0mpNB1feGdP3A

Arron Lewis pleaded not guilty by reason of mental disease or defect in Pulaski Co. Circuit Court on Wednesday and his wife Crystal Lowery also pleaded not guilty.

LITTLE ROCK, AR - A mental evaluation has been ordered for one of two suspects accused of kidnapping and killing a real estate agent.

Just thinking, since AL entered this not guilty by mental disease or defect plea, wouldn't that be why the judge "had" to deny Arron's request to refuse the mental evaluation? I would think it would be. Maybe I can get my thinking cap back on now that Christmas is over.

The paperwork where the Judge "signed" the order to withdraw Mental Eval.. AL Attorney sent that over and the Judge Electronically signed... not sure what that means. https://contexte.aoc.arkansas.gov/i...resent2?DMS_ID=7WNWJ6R3V1PHU1YEUPZX8HJONCLK5C

Law Clerk is who wrote this letter https://contexte.aoc.arkansas.gov/i...resent2?DMS_ID=69RICDID4L12WQUWKMNH96G2KZ2LJ9 I wonder if a Law Clerk is who did the electronic sign of the Withdraw of ACT III in error? Possible the Pros office is who caught it. Well they have it straight now, or it appears :thinking:

http://www.cnn.com/2004/LAW/01/07/arkansas.executions/index.html?_s=PM:LAW

Wednesday, January 7, 2004

Charles Singleton, a convicted murderer with a history of severe mental illness who had been on Arkansas' death row longer than any other inmate, died by lethal injection for killing a woman during a 1979 robbery.

I found this news article while searching for mental illness and the death penalty in AR.
So, unless the AR laws have changed since 2004 (haven't researched it yet), AL could still get the death penalty even if he fails the mental evaluation.

The paperwork where the Judge "signed" the order to withdraw Mental Eval.. AL Attorney sent that over and the Judge Electronically signed... not sure what that means. https://contexte.aoc.arkansas.gov/i...resent2?DMS_ID=7WNWJ6R3V1PHU1YEUPZX8HJONCLK5C

Law Clerk is who wrote this letter https://contexte.aoc.arkansas.gov/i...resent2?DMS_ID=69RICDID4L12WQUWKMNH96G2KZ2LJ9 I wonder if a Law Clerk is who did the electronic sign of the Withdraw of ACT III in error? Possible the Pros office is who caught it. Well they have it straight now, or it appears :thinking:
These are the images that will not download on my phone. I will have to check them out on the laptop. Thanks, arkansas mimi!

He has a pro bono attorney. Right? Does someone just walk in and say they will take the case or how do they get them? I know a public defender is assigned to a case by the state. So. if AL had been successful at firing his pro bono attorney, then I guess the state would appoint him an attorney. CL seems to have a good support group of friends. I wonder if they have thought about all chipping in to hire her a really good attorney?
All I know about AL attorney is one article I read in state paper Arkansas Dem Gaz, that said Hensley declined to say who hired him.
From what I read on AR Supreme Court Case that the Judge cited, he wasn't saying AL couldn't fire his attorney. AL cant have counsel and send in Pro Se stuff too. Cant have it both ways.

On CL, don't have a clue. Appears one friend got an attorney to do pro bono when thought was just the Mis Theft by Rec. He said he was caught off guard by her arrest for the CM and Kidnapping. ETA: makes me wonder if CL wasn't being truthful to him why he was so caught off guard
I wasn't surprised they arrested her were any of yall? I mean I don't know her, but following the case I just wasn't Shocked or Surprised.

If not, they should. I would want the best attorney around if I were facing her charges. The "no bond" for CL isn't looking to be in her favor at all. I thought she would've been granted a bond, but wasn't---which sure makes it seem they DO have as much evidence of her being an equal in this crime. IDK, JMO

http://www.cnn.com/2004/LAW/01/07/arkansas.executions/index.html?_s=PM:LAW

Wednesday, January 7, 2004

Charles Singleton, a convicted murderer with a history of severe mental illness who had been on Arkansas' death row longer than any other inmate, died by lethal injection for killing a woman during a 1979 robbery.

I found this news article while searching for mental illness and the death penalty in AR.
So, unless the AR laws have changed since 2004 (haven't researched it yet), AL could still get the death penalty even if he fails the mental evaluation.

Think you have to be more than a little crazy for that defense to work. John Couey tried that in Jessica Lungsford case. Even brought his crayons to court and colored. Verdict. Guilty!

All I know about AL attorney is one article I read in state paper Arkansas Dem Gaz, that said Hensley declined to say who hired him.
From what I read on AR Supreme Court Case that the Judge cited, he wasn't saying AL couldn't fire his attorney. AL cant have counsel and send in Pro Se stuff too. Cant have it both ways.

On CL, don't have a clue. Appears one friend got an attorney to do pro bono when thought was just the Mis Theft by Rec. He said he was caught off guard by her arrest for the CM and Kidnapping.
I wasn't surprised they arrested her were any of yall? I mean I don't know her, but following the case I just wasn't Shocked or Surprised.

I think alot of posters said from the get go he didn't do this by himself. The miles weren't adding up. Not surprised at all.

Think you have to be more than a little crazy for that defense to work. John Couey tried that in Jessica Lungsford case. Even brought his crayons to court and colored. Verdict. Guilty!
Oh, concernedmother! Please, please, please don't force me to research another case. I do good to keep up with this one! Haha
Crayons In Court? Definitely not a children's book! Sounds more like a country song title to me! lol [emoji11]

Oh, concernedmother! Please, please, please don't force me to research another case. I do good to keep up with this one! Haha
Crayons In Court? Definitely not a children's book! Sounds more like a country song title to me! lol [emoji11]
lol. Then you dont want to know about Michael Jackson coming to court in his jammys. :)

I think alot of posters said from the get go he didn't do this by himself. The miles weren't adding up. Not surprised at all.

From going back and reading, you are correct. I didn't start commenting here until Nov 10th, iirc and that was half way thru Thread 5. Lots of good comments and theories.

Snippy snipped by me.

Shocked as in, OMG, I can not believe she was in on this!?!
No!
Surprised as in, Wow, I didn't want to believe she was in on this?!?
Yes!

ETA: Hmm, well we all know I stink at snipity snipping now! [emoji107]

lol. Then you dont want to know about Michael Jackson coming to court in his jammys. :)

:scared: I remember that!!!! Loved his music. Part of me felt sorry for him, still do. Cant imagine lifestyle where everyone wants a piece of you and no privacy. Troubled soul. Sad Sad Sad. Thanking God for all things.. lol being that rich will never be a worry of mine! Just shows, no matter how much $$ you have, money cant buy happiness. Or real friends :( .. but love me some MJ

Snippy snipped by me.
Shocked as in, OMG, I can not believe she was in on this!?!
No!
Surprised as in, Wow, I didn't want to believe she was in on this?!?
Yes!

ETA: Hmm, well we all know I stink at snipity snipping now! [emoji107]
:scared: He said he had been in touch with LEO and so forth and they didn't give him a heads up what I thought he ment lol. JMHO but :happydance: I think the LEO did pretty good at keeping even the press at bay. They got her at her house.. looks like even the neighbors who had been keeping watch missed it too. Have to go back and look, when Media found out.
Its def not a laughing matter.. but LEO was able to pull it off a couple times with out the media knowing.

http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/aggravating-factors-capital-punishment-state
Arkansas-
(1)The murder was especially heinous, atrocious, cruel, or depraved (or involved torture)
(2) The defendant knowingly created a grave risk of death for one or more persons in addition to the victim of the offense
(3)The murder was committed by means of a bomb, destructive device, explosive, or similar device
(4) The murder was committed for pecuniary gain or pursuant to an agreement that the defendant would receive something of value
(5) The murder was committed to avoid or prevent arrest, to effect an escape, or to conceal the commission of a crime
(6) The defendant has been convicted of, or committed, a prior murder, a felony involving violence, or other serious felony
(7)The defendant purposely discharged a firearm from a vehicle while showing extreme indifference to human life
(8)The defendant committed treason
(9)The capital murder was committed against a person whom the defendant knew or reasonably should have known was especially vulnerable to the attack because the person was 12 years of age or younger

http://law.justia.com/codes/arkansas/2010/title-5/subtitle-1/chapter-4/subchapter-6/5-4-605
2010 Arkansas Code
Title 5 - Criminal Offenses
Subtitle 1 - General Provisions
Chapter 4 - Disposition of Offenders
Subchapter 6 - Trial and Sentence -- Capital Murder
§ 5-4-605 - Mitigating circumstances.

5-4-605. Mitigating circumstances.

A mitigating circumstance includes, but is not limited to, the following:

(1) The capital murder was committed while the defendant was under extreme mental or emotional disturbance;

(2) The capital murder was committed while the defendant was acting under an unusual pressure or influence or under the domination of another person;

(3) The capital murder was committed while the capacity of the defendant to appreciate the wrongfulness of his or her conduct or to conform his or her conduct to the requirements of law was impaired as a result of mental disease or defect, intoxication, or drug abuse;

(4) The youth of the defendant at the time of the commission of the capital murder;

(5) The capital murder was committed by another person and the defendant was an accomplice and his or her participation was relatively minor; or

(6) The defendant has no significant history of prior criminal activity.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Arkansas may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.

I suppose AL attorney would want this done anyway though. If DP case, if he has a list of mental illnesses it could help in the mitigating phase. (see #1&3) Remember the behavior, weight loss etc described by the neighbor the month the crime was committed.

Depends on how big her role was, CL could possibly use 5 and 6.
I was surprised when I looked this up because I thought CL having children might help in the mitigating phase. Thats not one of them though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sassy Sleuth