Found Deceased AR - John Glasgow, 45, Little Rock, 28 January 2008

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
A Little Rock local, who was casually acquainted with John, told me yesterday that he had understood that the car keys were in the car ignition when it was found. Do we know where the car keys were found? He had also been told that John was being told that he had to return a $200,000 bonus. I don't know if this is the same bonus that was referred to as a $300,000 bonus in the link above and the amount my friend said is wrong or whether Glasgow was just being asked to return part of it. According to the story, the bonus was in the bank so it wasn't a financial problem. I wonder if Glasgow did go to Dillards that Sunday afternoon to meet/to defend himself. It seems like by that Sunday, he would have been making copies of whatever documents that would provide proof that he had done nothing wrong. I wonder if the copier log was checked and if the family ever got any of the documents they were seeking from the construction company. He may have approached the wrong person seeking help. One other thing, the story said the sunglasses were in his car on the console which would indicate he wears sunglasses in winter as many do due to glare issues. Why wouldn't he have worn or at least taken the sunglasses on a hike? At times, in this terrain they wouldn't have been needed but other times they would have been useful, like staring out over a vista. I would think chances are slim for his family to be able to file a civil wrongful death suit to get to some discovery but it would be beneficial for them to get those phone records, etc. I wonder if Bill Clark or anyone will speak out now. Some agreement in his buyout may preclude that. Seems like definitely some financial shenanigans going on that cost a man his life one way or another. Sad that.

Ok, this is a super crazy theory, but bear with me.

I'm sure he had some type of life insurance, as most people in his financial bracket do.....right?

Would the life insurance pay out if it were suicide? I'm not sure how these things work, but it seems that I've heard of at least some policies that will not pay out if the death is ruled a suicide.

Could this would explain why he left no note (other than an account number and safe combination) and why he hiked so far deep into the woods before he "did the deed". If they didn't find his body until years later, then it would be hard to prove suicide, wouldn't it? His family would still get/keep the money?

Like I said...it's a pretty crazy thought, but it's one that's been rattling around in my head for the past day or two and I finally decided to verbalize it. I'm just sort of thinking out loud.

A Little Rock local, who was casually acquainted with John, told me yesterday that he had understood that the car keys were in the car ignition when it was found. Do we know where the car keys were found? He had also been told that John was being told that he had to return a $200,000 bonus. I don't know if this is the same bonus that was referred to as a $300,000 bonus in the link above and the amount my friend said is wrong or whether Glasgow was just being asked to return part of it. According to the story, the bonus was in the bank so it wasn't a financial problem. I wonder if Glasgow did go to Dillards that Sunday afternoon to meet/to defend himself. It seems like by that Sunday, he would have been making copies of whatever documents that would provide proof that he had done nothing wrong. I wonder if the copier log was checked and if the family ever got any of the documents they were seeking from the construction company. He may have approached the wrong person seeking help. One other thing, the story said the sunglasses were in his car on the console which would indicate he wears sunglasses in winter as many do due to glare issues. Why wouldn't he have worn or at least taken the sunglasses on a hike? At times, in this terrain they wouldn't have been needed but other times they would have been useful, like staring out over a vista. I would think chances are slim for his family to be able to file a civil wrongful death suit to get to some discovery but it would be beneficial for them to get those phone records, etc. I wonder if Bill Clark or anyone will speak out now. Some agreement in his buyout may preclude that. Seems like definitely some financial shenanigans going on that cost a man his life one way or another. Sad that.

From all reports I've read his vehicle key/s have not been located. His office/work keys were found in the laptop bag in the vehicle. His wallet was found in his pants pocket with his remains on the shelf of rock. You would think his vehicle keys would also have been in his pocket. I haven't heard anything about him returning the $300,000 bonus he rec'd shortly before his disappearance. I think the local might be confused. JG had rec'd a $500 bonus some time back for quitting smoking & then gave it back to the company when he started smoking again.

I'm sure he had some type of life insurance, as most people in his financial bracket do.....right?

Would the life insurance pay out if it were suicide? I'm not sure how these things work, but it seems that I've heard of at least some policies that will not pay out if the death is ruled a suicide.

Could this would explain why he left no note (other than an account number and safe combination) and why he hiked so far deep into the woods before he "did the deed". If they didn't find his body until years later, then it would be hard to prove suicide, wouldn't it? His family would still get/keep the money?

Like I said...it's a pretty crazy thought, but it's one that's been rattling around in my head for the past day or two and I finally decided to verbalize it. I'm just sort of thinking out loud.

Most life insurance policies will pay off on suicide after it has ben in force for 2-3 years, In PA, it is two years.

not any crazier of a theory than any other considering what we "know". < much of which is conflicting. But in reality person wouldn't know that he/she would or wouldn't be found for years. But then, I would venture to say people to the point of suicide are not dealing with reality in a good way. :(

With Roger Glasgow being a seasoned attorney, I am sure he sees things different than us. (evidence and so forth) I hope they do find answers.

What is yalls gut feeling on that Jon Brawner? I read one article where JG wife said she thinks he may know something but hard to tell.

Considering the tone of what was going on and the $$, who knows it possible a prof hit, but I keep going back and forth. And JMHO, the reports stating CDI and Dillards both saying their were nothing wrong with the books, it wouldn't be in their best interest to state they were would it? CDI couldn't say anything because Dillards held 50% of company, same with Dillards... The way I took it from articles I read, and its JMHO, I am thinking Bill CLark jr, just wanted out (one article so much as said so) so jmho, he isn't going to say much (if he could) JG dealings were with Bill Clark SR. Do we even know if Clark Jr even gave the letter/email to Dillards? (cant remb off top of head, only remb that JG sent to him)

(thinking out loud) From what we have read, the account set up was something that had been going on from back in mid 90's a verbal agreement. It was stated that minutes weren't recorded. Being now that the other person who was in on that was now deceased, and unable to back it up, I could see where would be very upsetting. Curious if Bill Clark Jr was even in those meetings or in the know. Was he active in the company before his father passed?

After the resignation of William Clark, Dillard's Inc. of Little Rock on Wednesday named Lloyd Garrison as the new CEO of CDI Contractors, the construction firm it owns.

Garrison has been with CDI since 1987, most recently serving as president, and has more than 30 years of experience in the construction industry.

ArkansasBusiness.com was first to report on Clark's resignation on Tuesday. William Clark succeeded his late father, Bill Clark, as chief executive officer of the company. On Tuesday, William Clark referred all questions about his departure to Dillard's.
"We have reluctantly accepted William&#8217;s resignation and wish him the best in his future endeavors," Dillard's President Alex Dillard said in the news release. "We look forward to working with Lloyd and his team at CDI to pursue compelling projects and to grow the business."

Dillard's also said it is "no longer considering strategic options with regard to its interest in CDI Contractors, LLC."

Dillard's announced in April that it would evaluate its options with regard to CDI, which included a possible sale. It retained Stephens Inc. of Little Rock to "assist it in evaluating its options with regard to" its then-50 percent ownership stake in the firm.

Stephens' CEO, Warren Stephens, is one of the eight member of the Dillard's board of directors elected by the Dillard family as Class B shareholders.

Following the April announcement, Dillard's announced in August that it would buy the remaining half of CDI that it didn't already own. Documents later showed that Dillard's paid $9.8 million for the other 50 percent of the company.

"Under the leadership of William Clark and his father, Bill, CDI has established a strong legacy of providing the highest level of construction services available supported by the strongest team in the industry," Garrison said in the news release on Wednesday. "CDI will continue to provide our clients with that exceptional level of service." http://www.arkansasbusiness.com/art...loyd-garrison-ceo-of-cdi-contractors?page=all

CEO William Clark of Clark Contractors Focuses on Constructing Solid Foundations
March 1, 2014

When it comes to working in construction, William Clark claims he’s a “lifer.” The Little Rock native, husband to Christy and father of three graduated from the U of A in 1991 with a degree in business management with an emphasis in small business/entrepreneurship. Three weeks after graduation he went to work for his dad, Bill Clark, at Braggs Electric, which did all the electrical work for Dillard’s.

“I started out working in the accounting department at Braggs,” he recalls. About three years later the elder Clark moved William over to CDI Construction (which he also owned), and he began working as a project manager.

“When my dad got diagnosed with cancer in December 2006, I was working onsite at UAMS on the new patient tower project. A month later I was back in the office working closely with my dad to learn more about the executive side of things.”

The elder Clark died about five months after that and William was promoted to CEO of CDI. A year-and-a-half later, he really put his degree to work as he started his own business, Clark Contractors.

In the five years since the launch of Clark Contractors, the company has put its mark on a number of notable projects, including too many healthcare projects to mention, the newly finished Arcade Building in downtown Little Rock and the Clinton Presidential Park Bridge. Clark Contractors is also currently working on the downtown Mann on Main renovation. “I was also the project manager on Heifer’s new headquarters building, which was the first LEED Platinum building in Arkansas,” Clark says.
more.. http://www.littlerocksoiree.com/pos...ors-focuses-on-constructing-solid-foundations

Hmmmm :thinking:
Clark Contractors Competing With CDI Is 'the New Normal,' CEO Says
by Gwen Moritz on Monday, Apr. 13, 2009 12:00 am

William Clark, head of Clark Contractors: "We're going to do business just like we did at CDI."

From the time he finished college, William Clark's dream was to succeed his father, Bill, as CEO of CDI Contractors.
Now, from a small office suite on Highway 10 in west Little Rock, Clark and a handful of former CDI colleagues are pursuing construction jobs in competition with the company his father founded with Dillard's Inc. in 1987.

"Ironically, yes," Clark said last week, "being CEO of a company that competes with CDI feels very strange. But I'm afraid this is the new normal."

Everything about the past two years has seemed strange to William Clark, whose 40th birthday is Monday. Although it was his goal to be CEO of CDI, "I didn't think it would happen for another 10 years." Instead, 63-year-old Bill Clark died of cancer in May 2007, setting off a chain reaction of business, legal and personal maneuvering that Clark doubts his father could ever have imagined.

"I think if he knew everything that happened in 2008, he would bless this decision," Clark said.

When 2008 started, William Clark expected that some of his family's half-interest in CDI would be sold to longtime managers. A deal to that effect was in the works – including a hot dispute over how Dillard's should have accounted for its share of the profits – when one of those managers, longtime chief financial officer John Glasgow, mysteriously vanished on the last Monday of January 2008.

The plan to sell shares to managers screeched to a halt. In March 2008, Dillard's restated a few million dollars worth of profit over several years and blamed it on an "error" by CDI.

The next month, Dillard's announced that it had retained Stephens Inc. of Little Rock to "assist it in evaluating its options" for its 50 percent of CDI. (Warren Stephens, owner of Stephens Inc., is a member of the Dillard's board of directors, part of a two-thirds majority elected directly by members of the Dillard family.)Dillard's had a contractual right to buy Clark's half of the business upon his death, and it exercised that option in August. The purchase price paid to Clark family trusts, according to Dillard's filings with the Securities & Exchange Commission, was $9.8 million.

Clark and 11 other CDI managers – including Danny Bennett, Shannon Earls and John Johnson – made an offer to buy CDI. But they did not advance to a second round of negotiations in September, Clark said.

Two other prospective buyers did. But their bids were "I guess lower than Dillard's wanted," he said. Dillard's Inc. – led by Bill Clark's best friend, William Dillard II – sent word through Stephens' representatives that it would entertain one more offer from the CDI managers.

On Friday, Dec. 19, Clark said, "We put in an offer we could finance and service. And they said no." The call came from Stephens' COO Curt Bradbury.

"At that time, I knew they were going to begin integrating CDI into Dillard's," Clark said, and it wasn't just an accounting change. The days when "Bill Dillard allowed Bill Clark to run CDI as he saw fit" were clearly over.

Decisions that were once left to CDI were being made by the parent company, including severing some longtime business relationships that Clark feared would cost the company future building contracts. Clark had become, in his words, "CEO in name only."

"They started implementing their management philosophy, and that was different from what I felt was the best course for CDI. I decided to strike out on my own and start my own firm," he said.

New Old Company
Clark resigned as CEO on Jan. 6. The next day, Dillard's promoted Lloyd Garrison, president of CDI and one of the first employees Bill Clark hired in 1987, as his successor.

On Feb. 10, Clark and minority partners Earls and Bennett announced the creation of Clark Contractors LLC. Clark wouldn't reveal the ownership split, but he said Earls' and Bennett's shares were "more than nominal."

Clark and Earls had started working for CDI on the same day in June 1991. Bennett, 52, had joined the company two months earlier after working at Pickens-Bond Construction Co. of Little Rock and its successor, Hensel Phelps.

They also brought John Johnson with them from CDI as chief financial officer, as well as Christy Clark – William's wife, whom he met when she joined the accounting staff of CDI. Rounding out the Clark Contractors staff is Carrie Dailey, a human resources and payroll staffer who was laid off from CDI as its accounting was integrated with that of Dillard's Inc.

more: http://www.arkansasbusiness.com/art...-with-cdi-is-the-new-normal-ceo-says?page=all

CDI Adds to Dillard's Bottom Line

by Gwen Moritz on Monday, Apr. 13, 2009 12:00 am

CDI Contractors reported record 2007 revenue of $575 million when surveyed for Arkansas Business' 2008 list of the state's largest private companies.

Publicly traded Dillard's Inc. bought the half of CDI it didn't already own on Aug. 29 and now operates it as a wholly owned subsidiary, so CDI will no longer be eligible for the list of private companies. But Dillard's reports to the Securities & Exchange Commission should make it possible to determine whether CDI remains as busy under its new ownership and management structure. And it will be the only construction company in Arkansas whose profitability is a matter of public record.

The annual report that Dillard's filed with the SEC on April 1 breaks down corporate revenue into two business segments: retail operations and construction. Here are pertinent details the "Form 10-K" reveals about the construction segment:

&#8226; After paying $9.8 million in cash for the 50 percent of CDI owned by the heirs of founder Bill Clark, the corporation acquired assets of $92 million, including cash of $14.1 million and accounts receivable of $72.9 million, and liabilities (accounts payable) of $82.2 million. Five months later, at Dillard's fiscal year-end on Jan. 31, the CDI assets were $84.91 million.

&#8226; CDI had net sales of almost $88 million to external customers in the five months it was owned by Dillard's in fiscal 2008. It also had "intersegment" revenue &#8211; that is, revenue for work done on Dillard's retail properties &#8211; of $19.1 million during that period. (It was a dispute over how to account for CDI profits from work for Dillard's that led to a restatement of earnings last year.)

&#8226; Dillard's slashed capital expenditures in 2008 by more than half &#8211; from $396.3 million in 2007 to $189.6 million in 2008 &#8211; "mainly as a result of the construction of fewer stores," the report says. Since CDI does virtually all of the store construction and remodeling for Dillard's, that decrease in capital expenditures presumably had a dramatic impact on CDI's 2008 revenue and on any comparison between 2007 and 2008. It would also help explain the layoffs at CDI last year, which Arkansas Business reported but which neither CDI nor Dillard's would confirm.

&#8226; The construction segment's net profit during the partial year was $4.15 million &#8211; that is, 4.7 percent. At the bottom line, however, CDI after-tax profit offset the company's $241 million net loss only by about 1 percent
http://www.arkansasbusiness.com/article/40044/cdi-adds-to-dillards-bottom-line

There was def a lot going on...:thinking:
Exactly why Freeman had been so angry at Glasgow remains a mystery, and Freeman would not comment. All that is certain is that by March 2008, the relationship between Dillard’s and CDI was under scrutiny. That month, Barington Capital and Clinton Group announced they were mounting a proxy fight against Dillard’s, supported by a third fund, Southeastern Capital Management Inc. By then, the three funds had amassed close to 20 percent of Dillard’s class-A shares. Within days, Barington and Clinton issued their first demand for the retailer’s records, including those dealing with CDI. Soon after that, Dillard’s suddenly agreed to put four candidates approved by the funds onto its board. But the funds were still unhappy. In December, after angrily calling on Dillard’s board to oust Bill Dillard and remove his family from the company’s management, the funds renewed their demand for CDI’s records, particularly those relating to construction work for Dillard’s insiders. Guinee confirms that CDI did such work for Dillard family members, “at cost, no fee,” although he maintains that the amount of money involved was “just pennies,” relative to CDI’s revenues. To the surprise of many in Little Rock, two of the hedge funds also demanded all the records relating to Dillard’s inscrutable restatement of earnings. http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...ttle-Rock-28-Jan-2008&p=11625909#post11625909

In New Letter, Barington Asks Dillard's for Records, Meeting Minutes
by Lance Turner on Tuesday, Mar. 25, 2008 10:20 am

In a new letter disclosed on Tuesday, Barington Capital Group requested copies of Dillard's Inc.'s books and records so its can talk to Dillard's shareholders about use of corporate assets, compensation and perquisites for executives and other matters.

The move is the latest by the investor firm, which, along with Clinton Group Inc. and certain of its affiliates, represents about 5.6 percent of the department store chain's outstanding Class A common stock of Dillard's.

Barington has been gearing up for a proxy fight. Earlier this month, it asked Dillard's for a detailed list of its shareholders. And it has since nominated four of its representatives to Dillard's board of directors.

Previously, Barington made several overtures to Dillard's seeking a meeting with executives to discuss ways to increase shareholder value. Dillard's has so far refused to meet with the group. Barington has criticized both Dillard's management and its board of directors, saying both have mismanaged the company.

The latest letter, which was dated March 20 but made public in Dillard's filing with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission here on Tuesday, outlined the purpose of its request:

"The purpose of this demand is to enable Barington and Clinton to investigate and communicate with the company's stockholders regarding matters relating to their mutual interests as stockholders, including, without limitation, the use of corporate assets, the levels and types of compensation, perquisites and benefits provided to directors and executive officers of the company or related parties, the nature of any family, business or personal relationships between the company's executive officers and directors, board oversight and certain decisions by the board or its committees regarding the foregoing matters or otherwise affecting the board, the management or corporate governance of the company or other interests of stockholders."

Among the specific documents Barington wants to receive are those about the board's decsions to "employ, or continue to employ, William Dillard II, Alex Dillard, Mike Dillard and Drue Corbusier as the top executive officers of the company;" documents about services "performed or proposed to be performed by CDI Contractors, Construction Developers Inc. or any other entity affiliated" with Dillard's engaged in the construction business "for or on behalf of any director, executive officer or member of the Dillard family."
William Dillard II, Alex Dillard, Mike Dillard and Drue Corbusier are among the children of Dillard's founder William Dillard, who died in 2002. They all hold executive management positions at the retailer.

CDI Contractors of Little Rock is a construction firm half-owned by Dillard's. The firm built the Clinton Presidential Library, but it also handles construction projects for Dillard's, including building Dillard's stores.

Dillard's connection to CDI has been under scrunity since CDI's chief financial officer, John Glasgow, went missing in January. Last week, Dillard's had to restate some earnings pretaining to CDI.

Barington has pointed out that Dillard's stock price has fallen by about 54 percent from June 30, 2007, through the close of trading on March 18, erasing more than $1.6 billion in shareholder value.

In addition, Dillard's same-store sales growth rate has lagged its peer group by an average of nearly 400 basis points a year over the past five years and the company has not posted an increase in annual same-store sales since 1999.

Barington has also said Dillard's has the third worst corporate governance profile of all the companies in the Standard & Poor's 500 Index, as measured by Institutional Shareholder Services.

Barington has said it thinks if Dillard's was more effectively managed it would be worth substantially more than its current stock price.
Barington group is led by CEO James Mitarotonda http://www.arkansasbusiness.com/art...dillards-for-records-meeting-minutes?page=all

JMO, but from reading, it appears that a huge storm was brewing....

Bill Clark passed away May 15, 2007 ...

HOLY CRAP BATMAN! THE BARINGTON GROUP WAS WANT ALL THE MINUTES TO VARIOUS MEETINGS... And JG new that it wasn't recorded, the accounting practice they were using, and had been since what?? 1996?? It was hitting the fan... Read this letter!! http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/28917/000092242308000325/kl03040_ex99-7.htm

But this ^^ letter was March 2008, after JG went missing Jan 28 2008. Dillards had to know of the storm brewing!! Could be what Freeman was getting at..

So someone who understands this kind of stuff, does this mean or appear that Barington / Clinton Group think the Dillards are doing something .. not right?

Yep, looks like they had been trying to get info since at least June 2007!
Activist Investor Takes Issue With Dillard's; Signs Indicate Upcoming Proxy Battle

by Mark Friedman on Monday, Mar. 3, 2008 12:00 am

At first, James Mitarotonda asked nicely for Dillard's Inc. to change its management.

In a June 28 letter, Mitarotonda asked Dillard's CEO William Dillard for a meeting to discuss several ways to improve the company, including better merchandising and unlocking the value of Dillard's real estate portfolio.

But Dillard didn't even return a call to Mitarotonda, the CEO of Barington Capital Group LP of New York, which represents a group of investors who own more than 5.3 percent of the outstanding Class A common stock of the Little Rock retailer.

After the June letter was ignored, Mitarotonda fired off a letter directly to Dillard's board in August. It was a scathing missive that called Dillard's corporate governance "nothing short of atrocious." The board, too, refused to respond.

On Jan. 29, Mitarotonda wrote the board yet another letter. This one said Dillard's needed to improve its management to increase its shareholder value.

Between June 30 and Jan. 25, Dillard's stock price dropped 52 percent, wiping out more than $1.5 billion in shareholder value, Mitarotonda wrote. During the same period, the S&P Retail Index fell by 23 percent, he also noted. http://www.arkansasbusiness.com/art...s-signs-indicate-upcoming-proxy-battle?page=1

**^^^ Note Jan 25th date!!! That was FRIDAY! JG missing Jan 28 Monday!!!<< Wasn't Friday (per the ID episode) that JG wife said she and JG had long talk about their "Options" ? Wonder what the Options were??

^^^^^(Mitarotonda is with Barinton) The first public sign that Mita-roton da was furious with the way Dillard's was being operated came in June,(*June 2007) when he wrote the letter asking to talk with Dillard's CEO and chairman, William Dillard II.
But he didn't hear back from Dillard.

Mitarotonda watched the stock price fall. Since reaching $40.56 on May 21, the stock price has slid to around $16.50 as of last week.

Mitarotonda accused Dillard of ruining the business after taking over from his father, William Dillard, who started the company in 1938.

Since William Dillard II received the keys to the company in 1998 from his father, Dillard's market capitalization has fallen from $3.8 billion to $1.9 billion in August 2007, Mitarotonda wrote in the Aug. 30 letter to the board.

Mitarotonda, however, still couldn't get any reaction.

"We believe that the vast value potential of the Company is not being realized," Mitarotonda wrote in his Jan. 29 letter to the board. "In our opinion, if the Company were more effectively managed it would be worth substantially more than its current stock price."

Mitarotonda noted a November 2007 Deutsche Bank report that estimates Dillard's net asset value before taxes to be $59 per share because of its real estate portfolio. Dillard's owns about 75 percent of its 331 stores.

1995 (Fall) JG as comptroller discovered CFO embezzled $1.3 Million, $ was taken from Dillard's accts
Divisions restructured, legal covenants altered, Dillard's control over CDI tightened.

1996 (Spring) Unrecorded meeting between Bill Clark, Bill Dillard, Bill Dillard bro Alex Dillard, John Glasgow and Dillard's CFO James Freeman
per comptroller who replaced JG, agreement concerned profits that each division of CDI could charge Dillard's *this not recorded in minutes

1998 Bill Dillard became CEO over Dillard's

2006 (Dec) Bill Clark finds out he has cancer

May - Bill Clark passes away, William Clark made CEO of CDI

June 28th - James Mitarotonda-Head of Barington Capital Group LP sent Bill Dillard letter, asking for a meeting - Dillard doesn't respond
Aug James Mitarotonda sends letter to Dillard's Board - Board refuses to respond

October (end of) Bill Dillard proposed to William Clark, redistribution of Bill Clark's 50%. <Per Melinda Glasgow>Dillard would allow William Clark to buy 30% and remaining 20% split between JG and 9 other executives

Nov (early) JG begins working on CDI end of the redistribution deal

Dec 27th Per JG date book, meeting at Bill Dillard's home. **note: JG got the $300K bonus 4 wks before he disappeared, which be Dec 31-could that have been what the Dec 27th meeting JG had at Bill Dillard home?

Jan 2 <per Melinda G> JG arrived home shaken. Dillard's CFO James Freeman showed up that afternoon at JG office, wanting financials for CDI, questioning Bonuses and fees CDI charging Dillards

*date unknown- shortly after Jan 2,) JG went to Colorado for a week.. When he got back, he was surprised to find that Freeman had sent three Dillard&#8217;s auditors to comb through CDI&#8217;s records. As his staff scurried to retrieve files and answer the auditors&#8217; questions, Glasgow grew increasingly disturbed. He told his wife that he didn&#8217;t know what they were looking for

Jan 18th <per Melinda, she came home fm wk to find JG near tears, he told her> Freeman had called him that morning. Whether he actually accused Glasgow of fraud isn&#8217;t clear, but, at some point, Freeman had brought up Enron. Glasgow said Freeman told him: &#8220;You know the CFO there? He lost his license; he went to prison. Well, that&#8217;s what&#8217;s going to happen to you.&#8221; Glasgow immediately went to see William Clark and told him that the stock-redistribution plan had to be called off. Summoned by an alarmed call from Clark, Bill Dillard soon showed up at CDI&#8217;s offices with James Freeman. Glasgow told his wife that after denying he had ever threatened Glasgow with prison&#8212;&#8220;Oh now, John, you know I didn&#8217;t say exactly that&#8221;&#8212;Freeman had gone on the attack. As one CDI executive would describe it, Freeman had &#8220;hauled off on John.&#8221; According to Melinda, Glasgow said Freeman again challenged the bonuses given to CDI executives as well as the fees that CDI was charging on Dillard&#8217;s jobs. Exactly what else was said is unclear&#8212;there may have been issues Glasgow did not reveal&#8212;but he said he repeatedly pointed out that nearly everything had been agreed upon by Clark and Dillard in 1996, but suddenly no one seemed to remember that. Glasgow was shocked.

Jan 19th- JG told best friend Mitch Chandler that he had never been so embarrassed and humiliated, **JG CALLS HIS ATTORNEY, WHO WAS ALSO THE LAWYER FOR CDI, AND WHOSE FIRM REPRESENTED DILLARD'S... Apparently concerned that he might somehow be set up for some kind of a fall, Glasgow called his attorney, who was also the lawyer for CDI and whose firm represented Dillard&#8217;s. Counseled to simply &#8220;keep your head down, give them what they want,&#8221; That night after auditors left, JG drove back to his office and put a tap on his office landline phone.

*some co workers stated that JG was more relaxed this week

Jan 24th JG had Mitch Chandler come over and they worked 4 hrs on letter that JG would give to William Clark, on what JG think Clark should say to Bill Dillard

Jan 25th Friday morning Glasgow emailed his Mitch the draft of what turned out to be a letter to William Clark, telling him what to say to Bill Dillard.
Glasgow gave his draft to Clark on Friday afternoon. Per Melinda in the ID episode, she and JG talked Friday night and went over all their options.

Jan 26th Saturday, JG went to work, as he&#8217;d been doing for weeks in order to prepare the stock-redistribution plan. There he ran into William Clark, who told him that he&#8217;d just personally delivered Glasgow&#8217;s letter to Bill Dillard at his home. Melinda said JG barely mentioned it when he got home

Jan 27 Sunday Per Melinda, JG seemed fine, went to office, no one else was at work. Glasgow&#8217;s electronic-key-card record shows that he went in and out several times, by CDI&#8217;s side door, for what appear to have been cigarette breaks.

Around noon, he went home for lunch.

Shortly after 2 p.m., Melinda found Glasgow lying on the couch in the den &#8220;just kind of staring.&#8221; He seemed &#8220;distant&#8221; and &#8220;in deep thought,&#8221; but it didn&#8217;t strike her as unusual because, she says, &#8220;John lived in deep thought a lot.&#8221; But that moment is the one that bothers her. &#8220;I sensed that he was disturbed, you know,&#8221; she says, her voice wavering. &#8220;Clearly I didn&#8217;t think&#8230;&#8221;

Around 230pm JG returned to CDI

4:05, according to his key card, he left and was gone for exactly 30 minutes. Where he went, no one knows; but he was back home by 5 p.m., as promised.

Shortly after 9 p.m., as he often did, John settled into his favorite armchair, in front of the TV, with his cat, Simon, on his lap

10:30 p.m., ready to go to bed, Melinda shook John gently, but he didn&#8217;t wake up, so she let him sleep

Jan 28th

515am neighbor sees JG veh going down road from his home *did not see driver same time phone pings power turned on

722am phone pings off tower that covers between Lake Conway and Wye Mountain

1140am coworker called JG phone, no answer but ping signal bounced off tower located on Bartlett Rd, on Petit Jean Mountain
**Bartlett Rd is 3 miles from Mathers Lodge 1069 Petit Jean Mtn Rd per Google, and Red Bluff Drive shows to be between Bartlett Rd / Mathers Lodge**

230pm JG office calls Melinda, she calls Roger Glasgow and Mitch they go to Glasgow home. Police are contacted, missing person report made. Late Monday night, after getting a frantic call from William Clark, Scott Ford, the CEO of Little Rock-based Alltel Communications, would order a search of Alltel&#8217;s records and track the phone to Petit Jean Mountain

Jan 29th
JG veh is located at Mathers Lodge

Jan. 29, Mitarotonda wrote the board yet another letter. This one said Dillard's needed to improve its management to increase its shareholder value.
Between June 30 and Jan. 25, Dillard's stock price dropped 52 percent, wiping out more than $1.5 billion in shareholder value, Mitarotonda wrote. During the same period, the S&P Retail Index fell by 23 percent, he also noted

Feb
Less than a week after Glasgow disappeared, there was a new CFO at CDI&#8212;one of the three Dillard&#8217;s auditors that Freeman had sent to examine CDI&#8217;s books.

March 2008
In a cryptic note in its 10-K for the 2007 fiscal year, filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission in March, Dillard&#8217;s informed its stockholders that it was restating its earnings by $10.1 million because of an &#8220;error&#8221; in CDI&#8217;s accounting. While reviewing CDI&#8217;s books, Dillard&#8217;s said, it had &#8220;discovered that CDI had recorded profit on the company&#8217;s construction projects in excess of what CDI had previously reported.&#8221;

March 20th
Barington Capital and Clinton Group first demands for Retailer Dillard's and CDI Inspection of Books and Records, copies of all board and committee meetings. Barington has pointed out that Dillard's stock price has fallen by about 54 percent from June 30, 2007, through the close of trading on March 18, erasing more than $1.6 billion in shareholder value. http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/28917/000092242308000325/kl03040_ex99-7.htm

April
Dillard's announced that it had retained Stephens Inc. of Little Rock to "assist it in evaluating its options" for its 50 percent of CDI. (Warren Stephens, owner of Stephens Inc., is a member of the Dillard's board of directors, part of a two-thirds majority elected directly by members of the Dillard family.)

July

07/18/2008
11:59 PM PETITION
Entry: PETITION FOR DETERMINATION OF LEGAL INCAPACITY

07/21/2008
11:59 PM ORDER OTHER
Entry: ORDER DECLARING JOHN WILLIAM GLASGOW LEGALLY INCAPACITATED AND GRANTING MELINDA K. GLASGOW TO ASSUME HER DUTIES AS ATTORNEY IN FACT THAT WAS FILED ON 7/15/1996 27/556

Aug 29
Dillard's buys William Clarks 50% for $9.8 million

Sept
Clark and 11 other CDI managers &#8211; including Danny Bennett, Shannon Earls and John Johnson &#8211; made an offer to buy CDI. But they did not advance to a second round of negotiations in September, Clark said. Two other prospective buyers did. But their bids were "I guess lower than Dillard's wanted," he said. Dillard's Inc. &#8211; led by Bill Clark's best friend, William Dillard II &#8211; sent word through Stephens' representatives that it would entertain one more offer from the CDI managers.

Dec
On Friday, Dec. 19, Clark said, "We put in an offer we could finance and service. And they said no." The call came from Stephens' COO Curt Bradbury.

Jan 6 Clark resigned as CEO, the next day, Dillard's promoted Lloyd Garrison, president of CDI and one of the first employees Bill Clark hired in 1987, as his successor

--Point of clarification, to respond to a response to my post above, didn't write that the local said JG had returned the $200,000/$300,000 bonus, I wrote that the local said he had been asked to. That was a piece of information, which may or may not be accurate, I had not seen such information before but it makes sense with all of this additional information being posted...great research, Arkansas mimi.
--What I'm getting out of the stories posted above, is that a proxy fight for control of Dillards was accelerating. Dillards needed to show more profit than it was. Big box store retailing has fallen on hard times in recent years, especially more recent years. The shareholders were not happy. Dillards wanted to show higher earnings as that would shore up its position. The quick and dirty way to do this was monkey around with the CDI unwritten "agreement." I don't believe the oversight of a "written agreement" in the minutes was an accident. FWIW in my experience, "unwritten" happens more than it should, and frequently comes back to bite the one who doesn't have the power to insist on written in the butt. JG didn't have the power but he thought he was working for honorable men. From the quotes from the former comptroller who worked with JG, he said the lack of the written agreement was JG's big problem or something like that. Therefore, with Dillards ultimate motive, taking the tactic that the "agreement" didn't exist,, JG could/would have been made a scapegoat. Subsequently, after he disappeared, to blame him would seem unseemly if there was a more delicate way around the "problem" which was employed according to the information above. They knew JG hadn't embezzled or anything else nefarious which they emphatically stated later, better for the image that way. Because of the pressure, I feel in my heart on that Saturday and Sunday, JG would have been making copies, transferring to a disc (I can't recall if flash drives were around then), anything he could to protect himself. Any reasonable person would have been. If, and this is a pure speculation: How would he know if Clark had really delivered the letter? His wife said he was resting on the couch in deep thought for awhile on Sunday afternoon. Maybe he had come to ponder if Clark was in on it, i.e. Clark was in the meeting when the existence of the 1996 meeting was denied according to one of the links above. If JG went to Dillard in that unexplained 30 minutes on Sunday with his proof. And then........? My gut tells me the business end of this played out just like Dillards wanted all along....i.e. the "partners" couldn't make a successful bid. Dillards took over the company. Involved were power players, Dillards and Stephens. I'm an Arkansas native and over the years, I have heard many stories about the Dillards and the Stephens so the business end of this doesn't surprise me. My opinion is the disappearance of JG was a complication. At this point I don't know if homicide, suicide or accidental death (for some reason I am somewhat leaning to the latter, based on the terrain and the stress.) But I do think JG planned to leave his job and he planned to protect himself with SEC or whatever. Wish we knew about those car keys.
Just my opinion, from a business major who has familiarity with business on a much smaller scale and follows happenings in her native state

1140am coworker called JG phone, no answer but ping signal bounced off tower located on Bartlett Rd, on Petit Jean Mountain
**Bartlett Rd is 3 miles from Mathers Lodge 1069 Petit Jean Mtn Rd per Google, and Red Bluff Drive shows to be between Bartlett Rd / Mathers Lodge**

Interesting. When I was at Petit Jean two/three years ago, my ATT phone would barely work at Mather's Lodge. Had to go outside and just move all around and try to hold a connection Have no idea what tower. Given the valley, and the mountain rising opposite Mather, one would think he would have been more on Bartlett/Red Bluff drive side when the phone pinged whether he was ascending the mountain in the car or out of it. And of course, we don't know what time the car got there.
The one thing I haven't reached a good conclusion about is if whatever happened, happened off Red Bluff Drive why wasn't the car parked in one of the areas on that side. No matter how it was done, it would be a long, and strenuous if on the trails hike to the Red Bluff Side. (by the road mostly just long but it seems like someone would have noticed him).
But if he was on the Red Bluff side, how did the car get to Mather? Not enough information to draw conclusions.

Adding: just looked at the map. Interesting the air strip and WinRock farms are on that side.
The retreat center would be up to the left.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unnamedTV
Back