GUILTY AR - Sydney Sutherland, 25, found deceased, Jackson Co., went for a jog, 19 Aug 2020 *ARREST* #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Sydney Sutherland murder suspect deemed fit for trial, described killing to psychiatrist

Feb 17
Lewellyn was interviewed on Jan. 7 by Dr. Lacey Willett, a psychiatrist at the Arkansas State Hospital. Willett filed two reports on their interview, during which Lewellyn described what he reportedly called "the murder."

He told Willett he was driving to check the wells and the rice fields and saw Sutherland walking down the gravel road, according to the report. Lewellyn said he drove past and then turned around. When he turned around, he said, he couldn’t see her, “I guess because the gravel road was still dusty.”

Lewellyn said Sutherland may have crossed the road and been hit by his truck, according to the report. He said he felt her hit the truck and he stopped. He walked over to her and asked if she was OK, but she did not respond.

He ultimately buried her in the rice field because that’s where he “was going to begin with,” the report says. Lewellyn said he was not under the influence of any substances and it had been a normal day until he killed her.

Lewellyn then went back to work and continued checking wells. He told Willett he didn’t tell anyone what happened and he “just tried to forget it.”

Willett reported that Lewellyn was able to discuss the crime in a “reality-based manner.” He was rational, calm, polite and cooperative, she said in the report. Lewellyn has been passing time in jail reading books or playing spades, he said. He reportedly described his mood as “not the best but the best for the situation." He added, “it’d be better if I was at home.”

When asked what the best possible outcome of the trial would be, Lewellyn said, “I’d like to not be found guilty.” He also said he wanted the case to go to trial so that he could “get my story out there to whoever needs to hear it.”
I C E - C O L D H E A R T.

Thinking about Leticia Stauch where she was evaluated both as in-patient and jail visit, I was surprised to read that it appears QL's attorney was present during his competency evaluation:

Lewellyn said during the interview that he took her clothes off and “tried messing with her a bit.” When asked to clarify what “messing with her” meant, his attorneys told him not to discuss it, Willett reported.

He ultimately buried her in the rice field because that’s where he “was going to begin with,” the report says. Lewellyn said he was not under the influence of any substances and it had been a normal day until he killed her.

Lewellyn then went back to work and continued checking wells. He told Willett he didn’t tell anyone what happened and he “just tried to forget it.” His father reportedly called that night and asked him if he’d seen Sutherland. Lewellyn replied that he had seen her, but nothing more.

The next day, he went to work as if nothing happened, the report says. He and his father eventually went to the police station because Lewellyn was the last person who saw her. At that point, he still hoped he wouldn’t get caught, he told Willett.

There, he agreed to take a polygraph but investigators decided not to test him. Nevertheless, Lewellyn admitted to killing her and gave multiple statements, according to authorities.

When asked why he didn’t call 911 when he hit her, Lewellyn said he didn’t know and he was "just scared.” He said “it was all just a blur” and “I knew I didn’t kill her on purpose.”

Sydney Sutherland murder suspect deemed fit for trial, described killing to psychiatrist

Let me get this straight.

He told police he plowed her down with his truck while she was out running.

He then allegedly admitted to loading her body onto his truck and driving her to a deserted field.

LE said Lewellyn said he 'tried messing with her a bit'. I guess that’s his definition of ‘rape’.

He then buried her body in a rice field and did not tell anyone about the incident that night.

Then he went home, ate dinner, and “just tried to forget about it.”

And then he pleads not guilty!!! What planet does this monster live on?
It sounds like this was just another day at the office for this brute.
I hope he gets life without parole.

Let me get this straight.

He told police he plowed her down with his truck while she was out running.

He then allegedly admitted to loading her body onto his truck and driving her to a deserted field.

LE said Lewellyn said he 'tried messing with her a bit'. I guess that’s his definition of ‘rape’.

He then buried her body in a rice field and did not tell anyone about the incident that night.

Then he went home, ate dinner, and “just tried to forget about it.”

And then he pleads not guilty!!! What planet does this monster live on?
It sounds like this was just another day at the office for this brute.
I hope he gets life without parole.

Lewellyn has pleaded not guilty to charges of kidnapping, capital murder, abuse of a corpse and rape.
With it taking place here in AR, the death penalty wouldn’t surprise me. JMO

Lewellyn has pleaded not guilty to charges of kidnapping, capital murder, abuse of a corpse and rape.
With it taking place here in AR, the death penalty wouldn’t surprise me. JMO

After the protracted execution of Joseph Wood in 2014, using a two-drug cocktail, a federal judge issued a stay on executions in Arizona. To date, Wood is the last person to have been executed in Arizona. There are no executions currently scheduled in Arizona although there are currently over 100 inmates on death row.

Life without parole is the next highest sentence, and it's cheaper for the State.
Many people assume that the state saves money by employing the death penalty since an executed person no longer requires confinement, health care, and related expenses. The death penalty is far more expensive than a system utilizing life-without-parole sentences as an alternative punishment.

Costs | Death Penalty Information Center

After the protracted execution of Joseph Wood in 2014, using a two-drug cocktail, a federal judge issued a stay on executions in Arizona. To date, Wood is the last person to have been executed in Arizona. There are no executions currently scheduled in Arizona although there are currently over 100 inmates on death row.

Life without parole is the next highest sentence, and it's cheaper for the State.
Many people assume that the state saves money by employing the death penalty since an executed person no longer requires confinement, health care, and related expenses. The death penalty is far more expensive than a system utilizing life-without-parole sentences as an alternative punishment.

Costs | Death Penalty Information Center

Sorry for confusion...AR (Arkansas)

EXCLUSIVE: Family of Sydney Sutherland, woman deputies say was kidnapped & murdered, to tell all | KARK

March 12
For the first time ever, the family of a woman who detectives say was kidnapped and murdered in rural Arkansas will speak out.

Sydney’s mother and brother open up about the case, share their grief, memories of Sydney and how they managed to find comfort through all the pain.

The family will recall the search, the moment the county’s sheriff told them they found Sydney’s body and the haunting moment Maggy Sutherland, Sydney’s mother, says she shared with Lewellyn.

“Something felt odd,” she recalled.

Six months after the family started what feels like a never-ending nightmare, they will break their silence for the first time in an exclusive tell-all interview with KARK 4’s Mitch McCoy.

Watch the exclusive interview Tuesday night on KARK 4 News at 10.

‘He gave me a hug’: Family of Sydney Sutherland tells all, shares thoughts on her accused killer | KLRT - FOX16.com

It’s a pretty long article; additional info found at link

March 16
County Road 41, where asphalt and gravel meet and a pink cross, marks the spot where one story ends and another begins.

The 25-year-old went for her run on Jackson County Road 41. A few hours later, the phone rang. It was Sydney’s boyfriend. Calls to Sydney went to voicemail. Texts went unanswered, Snapchats unread.

Hundreds of volunteers descended on County Road 41. Detectives searched for anyone who may have seen something.

Sam (her bro) said he received a phone call, one of the first few tips, from someone he knew in town.

“[He] called me and said Quake seen her heading south over the overpass, headed back home, and that’s all that was basically said. We knew the last sighting of her was at the interstate heading home,” Sam said, “by Quake.”

(Sam recalls that Quake’s father was the one who called in one of those first few tips about Sydney.)

From searcher to suspect
Quake Lewellyn, 28, a familiar face, graduated high school just a few years before Sydney, joined the search. Maggy remembers his approach.

“He just walked up and stood by a tree,” she said noting Quake appeared to be lurking, maybe trying to listen in, near the Command Post.

“He kind of gave me a little hug and I walked back over to the group and I was like something is wrong,” said Maggy. “Something felt odd.”

Quake went to the Arkansas State Police Headquarters the next morning, where he was interviewed. He allowed troopers to search his truck; they found blood inside the cracks of the tailgate.

Detectives found Sydney.

Troopers said Lewellyn passed Sydney, turned around at the overpass and then hit her with his truck.
Court documents show that during a consent search of Quake Lewellyn’s phone, agents found a Life 360 phone app which tracks the phone’s geo location.

“On August 21, 2020, Sutherland’s deceased body was located just a few yards from where the 360 app indicated Lewellyn’s location was,” a search warrant document stated.

Lewellyn is accused of kidnapping, raping and killing Sydney. The prosecutor said last year he is considering the death penalty. Maggy wants Lewellyn to face the death penalty.

“As of right now, I’m going to say yes,” she said.

The Sutherlands said they don’t think they’ll find a day to forgive Lewellyn.

Moving past the grief
Maggy said it was an outpouring of support, from around the world, helping her family through its darkest moment.

At Sydney’s final resting spot, there’s another bright pink cross.

“We don’t want her to be forgotten,” said Maggy.

Mom of murdered jogger Sydney Sutherland says she thinks killing was premeditated | Daily Mail Online

The mother of slain Arkansas jogger Sydney Sutherland says she thinks her daughter murder and rape were premeditated acts of 'evil,' after a judge found the suspected killer mentally fit to stand trial.

Sutherland's mother, Maggie Sutherland, weighed in on the case in a recent episode of Fox Nation's Crime Stories With Nancy Grace, saying that she was still struggling to come to terms with what had happened to her daughter.

Lewellyn told police and mental health experts that he was driving along the Jackson County Road 41 South on August 19 when he noticed Sutherland walking along a gravel road.

He initially drove past the woman, but then turned his truck around and struck her, according to court documents obtained by the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette in October.

He then allegedly admitted to loading Sutherland's body onto the bed of his truck and driving her to a deserted rice field. Police said Lewellyn said he dug a hole, stripped off Sydney's clothes and 'tried messing with her a bit,' which they say was rape. He then buried her body.

Maggie Sutherland accused Lewellyn, whom she knew from living in the same community, of faking mental illness to avoid being held accountable for her daughter's death, saying: 'He knew what he was doing.'

Maggie previously said she feels Lewellyn, whom she described as a 'monster,' is deserving of the death penalty and hopes he gets that sentence during his trial next year.

Mom of murdered jogger Sydney Sutherland says she thinks killing was premeditated | Daily Mail Online

The mother of slain Arkansas jogger Sydney Sutherland says she thinks her daughter murder and rape were premeditated acts of 'evil,' after a judge found the suspected killer mentally fit to stand trial.

Sutherland's mother, Maggie Sutherland, weighed in on the case in a recent episode of Fox Nation's Crime Stories With Nancy Grace, saying that she was still struggling to come to terms with what had happened to her daughter.

Lewellyn told police and mental health experts that he was driving along the Jackson County Road 41 South on August 19 when he noticed Sutherland walking along a gravel road.

He initially drove past the woman, but then turned his truck around and struck her, according to court documents obtained by the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette in October.

He then allegedly admitted to loading Sutherland's body onto the bed of his truck and driving her to a deserted rice field. Police said Lewellyn said he dug a hole, stripped off Sydney's clothes and 'tried messing with her a bit,' which they say was rape. He then buried her body.

Maggie Sutherland accused Lewellyn, whom she knew from living in the same community, of faking mental illness to avoid being held accountable for her daughter's death, saying: 'He knew what he was doing.'

Maggie previously said she feels Lewellyn, whom she described as a 'monster,' is deserving of the death penalty and hopes he gets that sentence during his trial next year.

Couldn't locate the NG Crime Stories episode featuring Sydney's family but the podcast is available. (I think Crime Story re. Atlanta shooter took the spot advertised).

Nurse Sydney Sutherland brutally abducted, raped, and killed while jogging near hom‪e‬
Crime Stories with Nancy Grace

‎Crime Stories with Nancy Grace: Nurse Sydney Sutherland brutally abducted, raped, and killed while jogging near home on Apple Podcasts

This guy seems dumber than I initially thought and I never thought he was smart. I could almost believe hitting her might have been an accident if he hadn't turned around. It doesn't seem premeditated to me, an impulsive attempt at living out a half baked fantasy maybe.

As a fellow runner, this story, along with Mollie Tibbets and so many others, makes me so sad and angry. WHY, WHY can women still not be safe from these depraved monsters??!

I pray for peace for the family during the upcoming judicial process. I can't imagine how painful it will be.

I could almost believe hitting her might have been an accident if he hadn't turned around. It doesn't seem premeditated to me, an impulsive attempt at living out a half baked fantasy maybe.

All premeditation requires is the time it takes to form the intent. Therein lies the problem … he did turn around. I’m pretty sure he wasn’t going to ask her if she wanted a lift home as she regularly jogged along that rural road and it wasn’t far from her home. It’s a small community and he was “familiar” with her and in all probability knew where she lived.

If he hit her by accident, why didn’t he ring 911 and call an ambulance or drive her to the nearest hospital. She was either dead or dying but he chose to throw her in the back of his truck, take her to a deserted field and rape her. It's beyond horrendous.

All premeditation requires is the time it takes to form the intent. Therein lies the problem … he did turn around. I’m pretty sure he wasn’t going to ask her if she wanted a lift home as she regularly jogged along that rural road and it wasn’t far from her home. It’s a small community and he was “familiar” with her and in all probability knew where she lived.

If he hit her by accident, why didn’t he ring 911 and call an ambulance or drive her to the nearest hospital. She was either dead or dying but he chose to throw her in the back of his truck, take her to a deserted field and rape her. It's beyond horrendous.
I don't believe for one second the part of his story that he hit her by accident but the entirety of his statement makes me suspect that he lacks the mental capacity to definitively form intent. He seems like 95% impulse and a lot of that impulse has always been barely in check. I don't think society suffers one bit from a person like him never seeing the light of day again but if I were the prosecutors I wouldn't bring capital murder charges to trial. They could be expecting him to take a guilty plea simply for them removing the death penalty or they might know they have a more conservative jury pool than we have here.

Quake Lewellyn’s lawyers prep death penalty defense, file motion to change venue in Sydney Sutherland kidnapping, murder case | KARK

May 21
The defense team representing the man charged in the kidnapping, rape and murder of an Arkansas jogger filed nearly 50 motions Thursday in a move that will set the stage for a death penalty defense.

Quake Lewellyn, 28, faces capital murder, kidnapping, rape and abuse of a corpse charges after 25-year-old Sydney Sutherland was found dead after going for a run in August of 2020.

The motions were filed after prosecutor Ryan Cooper did not waive the death penalty in the case.

In a phone conversation Friday, Cooper confirmed he was “absolutely” pursuing the death penalty against Lewellyn.

The court will have a hearing on July 6.

Jury selections are scheduled to begin September 28.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LinLu
Back