Are there other victims?

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
http://www.mercurynews.com/topstories/ci_13264760

Hayward Police confirmed Tuesday that they were investigating the possible involvement of Garrido in the 1988 kidnapping of Michaela Garecht, who was dragged into a car and driven off after she had gone to a small store to buy a soda and candy.

Hayward investigators already had made note of the similarities in the two cases — kidnapping in broad daylight, the blonde, blue-eyed toothy grins of both girls and the resemblance of the artist's sketch of Michaela's kidnapper to Garrido's booking photo after he and his wife, Nancy, were arrested last week and charged with the kidnapping and sexual abuse of Dugard in 1991.

A photo taken the night Garrido kidnapped a woman in South Lake Tahoe and drove her to a large storage shed in Reno, where he raped her repeatedly, was even more intriguing. It shows Garrido with long hair, and prominent cheek bones, much like the man in the sketch.

For the timeline:

Garrido’s relatives, contacted Monday, said Phillip Garrido moved to Reno from California when he was about 19 years old. That places him in the Reno area when Lass disappeared in 1970.
http://www.rgj.com/article/20090831/NEWS/90831044/1321/news

What do you think about the eyes and ears as a match for the suspect in the Lisa Norrell case? The hair is wrong.
LisaNorrellSketch.jpg

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4115614&postcount=39"]Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - Photos & Other Images ***NO DISCUSSION***[/ame]

I think they look enough alike. Link to an older photo of Garrido

In the Mercury they have a pic of his booking in 1976. I showed that and the sketch from Michaela suspect. They all dropped their jaws. It is uncanny.

Oh, my God. Could this finally be it?

The only problem is, Michaela was abducted 12 years later, in 1988, and Garrido looked different in photos taken then, with shorter hair. But I have to say, there is a difference between the two composite photos of Michaela's abductor. The revised composite has the suspect with shorter hair.

The whole thing is so elusive, it seems.

I'd be careful before jumping to any conclusions with the Michaela case. Like Joe said, there's a 12 year gap in there, and in 1988 he looked a lot different. I know people would really like it to be true, but as of right now there's still zero evidence that says that it is. The timeline and age of the suspect doesn't match up at all.

I'd be careful before jumping to any conclusions with the Michaela case. Like Joe said, there's a 12 year gap in there, and in 1988 he looked a lot different. I know people would really like it to be true, but as of right now there's still zero evidence that says that it is. The timeline and age of the suspect doesn't match up at all.

The timeline does fit. He was released in Aug.1988. Was living in Oakland at a half way house then. 15 miles north of where Michaela was taken. The car had front end damage. So did the one the LE took. He also could have used a wig.

I'll admit that I truly hope there will be a link to Michaela in this investigation, but I'm trying not to get my hopes up.

I think we do need to remember that the description of the suspect was provided by a very upset little girl, who had just witnessed her friend being kidnapped. Besides that, I question how accurately a child could judge the age of an adult, especially one whom she saw briefly.

On that note, if the abductor was really 18-20 years old, I have always wondered if he wasn't working for someone else. I know that child molesters and murderers can and do start at a young age, but this was a very bold act and one that I wouldn't expect from a guy in his late teens. Which makes me wonder if he weren't being paid a good chunk of money to do this. I'm not suggesting that he was working for Garrido in particular, just putting the theory out there as a point of discussion.

The only problem is, Michaela was abducted 12 years later, in 1988, and Garrido looked different in photos taken then, with shorter hair. But I have to say, there is a difference between the two composite photos of Michaela's abductor. The revised composite has the suspect with shorter hair.

The whole thing is so elusive, it seems.

Maybe after the sketch came out he decided to get a hair cut. You never know. He's a sicko!!!:furious:

It is indeed!

Okay, this did it for me. That's the closest I've ever seen a composite drawing look like the actual suspect. He's a dead ringer. I believe Garrido did snatch Michaela. He also told Katie Callaway he'd kidnapped a girl from the Bay Area...

Okay, this did it for me. That's the closest I've ever seen a composite drawing look like the actual suspect. He's a dead ringer. I believe Garrido did snatch Michaela. He also told Katie Callaway he'd kidnapped a girl from the Bay Area...

Join the crowd. Whhat got me thinking was seeing the car being towed. It other then the color was dead on.Even front end damage.

I think Katie Callaway was before Michaela tho.

The timeline does fit. He was released in Aug.1988. Was living in Oakland at a half way house then. 15 miles north of where Michaela was taken. The car had front end damage. So did the one the LE took. He also could have used a wig.

JDB, is it reported somewhere that he was living in an Oakland half way house after his August 1988 release? If so, I should add this detail to the Timeline.

Join the crowd. Whhat got me thinking was seeing the car being towed. It other then the color was dead on.Even front end damage.

I think Katie Callaway was before Michaela tho.

Yes, Ms. Callaway was his 1976 victim, the one he went to prison for. Michaela was abducted in 1988.

JDB, is it reported somewhere that he was living in an Oakland half way house after his August 1988 release? If so, I should add this detail to the Timeline.

Yes, Ms. Callaway was his 1976 victim, the one he went to prison for. Michaela was abducted in 1988.

Yes it was in the San Jose Merc either yesterday or the day before.

... is it reported somewhere that he was living in an Oakland half way house after his August 1988 release?...
I found that information in an article from the Sacramento News10 folks. It was a few days ago.
Sorry, I didn't note the link, but this is what it said:
"News10 has learned Garrido was paroled from the Nevada State Prison in Carson City in August 1988 and was taken directly to a halfway house in Oakland, then later to live with his mother in Antioch."

I'll admit that I truly hope there will be a link to Michaela in this investigation, but I'm trying not to get my hopes up.

I think we do need to remember that the description of the suspect was provided by a very upset little girl, who had just witnessed her friend being kidnapped. Besides that, I question how accurately a child could judge the age of an adult, especially one whom she saw briefly.

On that note, if the abductor was really 18-20 years old, I have always wondered if he wasn't working for someone else. I know that child molesters and murderers can and do start at a young age, but this was a very bold act and one that I wouldn't expect from a guy in his late teens. Which makes me wonder if he weren't being paid a good chunk of money to do this. I'm not suggesting that he was working for Garrido in particular, just putting the theory out there as a point of discussion.

I agree 100%...even adults have a hard time remembering details of a suspect. Children also have no concept of age. I highly doubt the kidnapper was in his late teens.

PG may have worn a wig...or dyed his hair to keep from being noticed since he had just been released from prison. If that sketch had brown hair instead of brown, I bet SOMEONE would have thought of PG before now (LE, his previous victims, etc) if that sketch had brown hair it would be him, no doubt about it.

I wonder if he was referring to the 14 y/o who has gone to police, or if it was someone else who is on the timeline...do you have a link to anything saying that?

ETA: Reno Police Looking at Unsolved Murders of Charles and Jennifer Chia, Monica DaSilva

I apologize if this has already been posted somewhere in this forum; I haven't seen it posted anywhere.

Garrido arrest prompts look back at cold cases
'Anything is possible with this guy,' says Reno police officer
updated 1:20 p.m. PT, Fri., Sept . 4, 2009

RENO, Nev. - Police are scouring old records of major unsolved cases in northern Nevada to determine if any match the profile of the man charged in the abduction and assault of a Lake Tahoe girl 18 years ago.

The cold cases include the 1989 murders of two Reno children who vanished near their school bus stop.

(snip)

Jennifer and Charles Chia were kidnapped on the 100-yard walk from the bus stop to their home in 1989, Whan said. The remains of the 6- and 7-year-old siblings were found nine months later near Blairsden, Calif., about 60 miles northwest of Reno.

(snip)

Another unsolved Reno case under review involves 7-year-old Monica DaSilva, who was snatched from her bedroom as she slept in 1990. Her remains were found three weeks later east of Reno. Her killer has never been identified.

(snip)

The South Lake Tahoe police department is looking at a number of unsolved killings, including that of a 17-year-old girl who was slain the same year Garrido kidnapped and raped Hall, Lt. Martin Hale said.

Full story: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32693754/ns/us_news-crime_and_courts/.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
solomonkenny
Back