ARREST!!! Australia - Allison Baden-Clay, Brisbane QLD, 19 April 2012 - #21

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
All sorts of people still leave flowers at the bridge. To me they are a symbol of 'there for the grace of God go I' as well as one of respect. They are about Allison, but about something bigger - a symbol of love and connection. Not far away from the bridge is a sign for Lyndall Andrews age 19, who must have been hit by a car. I have no idea of her circumstances but I count my blessings in my own way every time I pass by it.
I personally will place flowers on that bridge every time I pass until justice is done. And after that I may still continue.

I understand what you are saying. I just don't agree with it. I, for one, am not grieving for anybody (thankfully) close to me. I just think it is a nice gesture. The placing of flowers will not be forever, but this case if very much alive and unresolved at this point in time. Yes, we will all move on at some point ... the point when the perp is sentenced!

I understand, but my point is that we, the posters on this forum, have nothing to move on from. This is not our story; our involvement is due to an interest in the case, nothing more. One cannot move on from something one is not actually experiencing, unless one is co-opting that experience. My opinion only, of course, but also backed by psychological research.

Cheers

I think the point is that roadside crosses are usually erected (and maintained, sometimes for years afterwards) by people with a personal connection to the victim, such as family, rather than strangers wishing to express grief.

I would feel that people who lay tributes and flowers to remember a deceased person in the first weeks of an investigation are showing an act of sympathy, however, I would feel that to be doing anything further and at a later stage could be interpreted negatively.

This will be a passing case for the majority of Australians; for those closest to the victim this is something they will live with forever. I wonder where the social media mourners will be in years to come - they will have moved on with their lives, while those closest to this case will carry their grief forever. I think this is at the crux of why some people might find the phenomenon of public grief, or vicarious grief, as akin to co-opting someone else's grief, their tragedy and their personal story.

Again, not trolling. Am merely offering a (probably unpopular) opinion.

Cheers

I wouldn't take the cross myself, and probably wouldn't lay the flowers, but i have no problems with all of us laying a "virtual tribute" here in the form of our avitars. A sense of "being united" for Allison. That said, I also have no problems with other people laying flowers at the site. I doubt that the family will be going out that way, for very obvious reasons.

and Watsonian, are you casting aspersions on Aunty's cat? I love your Latin expressions.

That is the best looking sock ever.......

Sometime today there will be a yellow cross laden with sunflowers at Kholo Bridge.

Thank you Sooo much for this beautiful gesture. After what you have been through you are definitely qualified to know if loved ones left behind would appreciate this gesture from people who, even though they didn't know their daughter, would take such time and effort to offer some consolation to those grieving.

I personally would be very moved by this if anything should happen to my beautiful daughter.

Thank you, you are a beautiful soul. Xx

I understand, but my point is that we, the posters on this forum, have nothing to move on from. This is not our story; our involvement is due to an interest in the case, nothing more. One cannot move on from something one is not actually experiencing, unless one is co-opting that experience. My opinion only, of course, but also backed by psychological research.

Cheers

Then i have to say that I must have been "co-opting" the Casey Anthony experience. I found it very difficult to move on from that. Not so much because of grief over Caylee, but because of what I perceived as a miscarriage of justice. Justice is the reason many of us get involved, but our emotions do get carried away sometimes. I get your point.

and Watsonian, are you casting aspersions on Aunty's cat? I love your Latin expressions.

*chuckle*
Unfortunately, the Latin has been resigned to history, at least on this forum. It was a point of some consternation for some users, although it was only silly phrases. I have fallen on my sword and put it in the vault. It was rather fun, though, IMO (obviously!).

I am nothing if not a compromiser!

Cheers

Cheers

... move on from the interest we have in this case ... we are experiencing this (virtually), we are wanting the person(s) responsible to be charged and convicted. That is the extend of our experience. With all my respect to anybody involved in psychology, I don't believe much in it. It's all a bit subjective to me. Again, I mean it with respect. It's just my opinion.

Then i have to say that I must have been "co-opting" the Casey Anthony experience. I found it very difficult to move on from that. Not so much because of grief over Caylee, but because of what I perceived as a miscarriage of justice. Justice is the reason many of us get involved, but our emotions do get carried away sometimes. I get your point.

I completely understand the starting point for it, especially when the victim is a child or defenceless. I believe we should always be horrified at these types of outrages, regardless of age, and angered by miscarriages of justice. I believe, however, there is a line when emotional reaction and involvement becomes too much and we step into territory which we - the people not personally involved - have no business treading. In my opinion, the public grief expressed in these types of cases could be positive, such as spurring people into other forms of action, such as lobbying for support of victims of violence. For me (and again, it's only my opinion), if people are so moved by a particular case to the point that they feel personally affected by it, they should walk the walk not just talk the talk.

Again, not trolling, and not intimating anything about specific individuals. I'm talking collectively - society as a whole. It's really just a different viewpoint.

Cheers

I completely understand the starting point for it, especially when the victim is a child or defenceless. I believe we should always be horrified at these types of outrages, regardless of age, and angered by miscarriages of justice. I believe, however, there is a line when emotional reaction and involvement becomes too much and we step into territory which we - the people not personally involved - have no business treading. In my opinion, the public grief expressed in these types of cases could be positive, such as spurring people into other forms of action, such as lobbying for support of victims of violence. For me (and again, it's only my opinion), if people are so moved by a particular case to the point that they feel personally affected by it, they should walk the walk not just talk the talk.

Again, not trolling, and not intimating anything about specific individuals. I'm talking collectively - society as a whole. It's really just a different viewpoint.

Cheers

... just think of Kensington Palace's fence line/gate when Princess Diana died ... people placed millions of flowers ... and nobody really knew her.

Cheers

Thanks W institute
Can I ask, with all respect, why are you on this site??

That is the best looking sock ever.......

Sometime today there will be a yellow cross laden with sunflowers at Kholo Bridge.

I agree about the sock lol and thanks for the cross, lovely thing to do.

... just think of Kensington Palace's fence line/gate when Princess Diana died ... people placed millions of flowers ... and nobody really knew her.

It's interesting that this particular tragic event has been raised, because this has been identified as one of the earliest expressions of this modern trend of vicarious grief. The links I posted on page 1 (maybe 2?) of this thread talk about this exact thing. I appreciate it being mentioned!

Cheers

Again, not trolling, and not intimating anything about specific individuals. I'm Talking collectively - society as a whole. It's really just a different viewpoint.

Cheers

May I suggest Hannah Arendt 'Men in Dark Times' as a read.

I was thinking the same thing but thought someone would say something negative about comparing Allison to Diana.

It's interesting that this particular tragic event has been raised, because this has been identified as one of the earliest expressions of this modern trend of vicarious grief. The links I posted on page 1 (maybe 2?) of this thread talk about this exact thing. I appreciate it being mentioned!

Cheers

Are you telling me that all those thousands of people who placed flowers for Diana were in fact grieving for someone else? Sorry, I don't think that is the case. It was an expression of love and admiration for her, in my humble peasant opinion.

oooh news update Gerards at police station, cant link sorry...

... we may be the subjects of some research paper? Just kidding :floorlaugh:

Now that would be one interesting research paper lol.. maybe this is just entertainment for some people with nothing better to do

Thanks W institute
Can I ask, with all respect, why are you on this site??

The same reason many people are on this site. I'm perplexed as to why this question has been put to me. I (perhaps wrongly) assume it's because I have a contrary opinion to many - not all - posters. As I posted earlier today, it's a big world and this forum is not an exercise in group-think.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member