Aruba - Natalee Holloway, 18, Oranjestad, 30 May 2005 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
If the specific information is correct, if not Natalee, then who? MOO

I was wondering about that myself, panthera, but I would think that possibly others have drowned when they were out to sea and maybe the bone has finally made it back to shore.

Lots of variables can make this happen such as storms and hurricanes in the area.

I hope for Beth's sake it does belong to Natalee but it may not.

I am not ready to buy into what was said on Nancy's show last night. Imo, the experts will have to really inspect and test the jawbone to know if it really belongs to a white female.

IMO

I really hope for Beth's sake that this does turn out to be evidence in Natalee's disappearance. At least she can put to rest the version that Natalee was sold into prostitution. Not that I think that version was ever really a consideration.

I still think the version he told in the car when he had no idea that he was being filmed is as close to the truth as anyone might get out of him. And I believe that version had him taking her out in the ocean and dumping her overboard didn't it?

NG was SO adamant. She's really putting herself out there on this one that it's a young, white, female. Oh boy if she's wrong.... LOL

I'm personally not going to hold my breath on this one. Throughout the past five years there have been so many {breaks} in this case, only to have them disappear in the end. Of course the best outcome would be for this to turn out to be Natalee, because then her family would get SOME answers. But sadly, I have my doubts.

While studying the Holloway case at the beginning, though not widely publicized, there are LOTS of deaths on Aruba and many are younger people. We even commented at the time, there appeared to be almost too many late teens and twenty-somethings to die, compared to the population of the island. But alas! That's ONE of the mysteries of that sleepy little isle.

Thank you to all for keeping this thread updated. Maybe SOME DAY there will be just ONE thing in this case, that gives us, and the Holloway family, UNDENIABLE {proof} of Natalee's sad ending. It would be of comfort for Natalee's family to have even one little bit of closure.

JMHO
fran

PS.....at least, the ALLEGED perp in Natalee's case won't be free, for some time, to repeat his ALLEGED crime on another poor, unsuspecting, innocent victim. It's just sad that it took a second victim before this guy was FINALLY arrested and being called out for his horrible actions! fran :(

Hi everybody

well, I watched NG last nite..

jmo, but at times ng can be a little to excited about things eh? ya know, with her bombshells, etc, jmo(referring to young, white female jawbone)

anyhoo, Ive always had hopes that Natalee could be found and laid to rest in peace and that her parents and family could start some kind of healing process and that justice could be had..

anyhoo, I dunno about this? i truly hope that what they found is Natalees remains, but some how I just dont trust aruba and aruba le..

just my 2 cents

For Nat's family, I hope it is her. NG seems so sure, but some of the facts she used to prop up her point were questionable, as usual.

Hello everyone,

I'm opening this thread for discussion of the bones recently found in Aruba and the possible connection to Natalee.

I' will move the posts from Stephanie over here and other links.

Thanks,

Salem

I am waiting for more news, too.

My husband and I were honeymooning in the Dominican Republic when Natalee went missing.

I've been hoping for her discovery. I pray this is the closure her family deserves.

If the specific information is correct, if not Natalee, then who? MOO

I was wondering about that myself, panthera, but I would think that possibly others have drowned when they were out to sea and maybe the bone has finally made it back to shore.

Lots of variables can make this happen such as storms and hurricanes in the area.

I hope for Beth's sake it does belong to Natalee but it may not.

I am not ready to buy into what was said on Nancy's show last night. Imo, the experts will have to really inspect and test the jawbone to know if it really belongs to a white female.

IMO

There was a young boy (14), Max Devries, that went missing in Aruba while on a jet ski about a year before Natalee's 'disappearance'. His body has never been found.

http://www.maxtothemillions.com/page2.html

I think the reason this news hasn't received the response expected is because most are holding their breath waiting for more information. As for me, I'm skeptical of any information that comes out of Aruba or the Netherlands. It would be very convenient for Aruba and the Dutch authorities to put this case to rest (so to speak) at this point after all this time and controversy. IF this is determined to be Natalee by the Dutch authorities, I certainly hope there will be additional tests done.

I am holding my breath!

I hope this is part of Natalee so that her family can have closure and begin to heal. I haven't commented for fear of yet another let down and also I do not trust the authorities in Aruba or the Netherlands. There I said it!

If this jawbone is determined to be Natalee, what are the chances that charges will be brought against JVS since he claimed to dispose of her in the same area in one of his many confessions?

MOO
wm

I personally don't recall any past find as near this level. They actually found a human jaw bone with at least one tooth. I don't recall human bones being found before? Did I miss something?

They said it can be a tooth from a white female if the molar has an extra bump. Then they can tell age from wear on teeth.

NG, Jawbone Found in Aruba, Likely to be White Female
Aired November 16, 2010:
http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1011/16/ng.01.html

JEAN CASAREZ, "IN SESSION": Well, we know that Aruban forensic officials took this jawbone. They have confirmed that it is the jawbone, along with an attached tooth, of a Caucasian young female girl. It is in the hands of the Hague tonight, their Forensic Institute. They are trying to determine if it is that of Natalee Holloway. They have Holloway`s DNA at the Hague, and they will make that confirmation shortly.

GRACE: And Jean, isn`t it correct that this is found on the beach, the hotel strip, where Natalee last stayed, which is consistent with everything we have known all along?

JOSSY MANSUR, MANAGING DIRECTOR AND PUBLISHER, "DIARIO" (via telephone): Well, it`s big news here because everything seems to point to a link with the missing girl, Natalee Holloway. It belongs to a young Caucasian woman. It was found on the strip of beach where Joran admitted he asked a friend to dump Natalee`s body. I mean, the ocean was very rough. The waves came. They ate up some of the beach, but they returned a jawbone, lower jawbone with one tooth in it. The police acted immediately on it. It was found on Friday. On Sunday, two police officers traveled to the Hague with it, and the tests are being done right now. And we may, as soon as tomorrow, know the results.

GRACE: Joining us, Jossy Mansur, the managing director and publisher of "Diario."

I want to go now to Dr. Howard Oliver, former deputy medical examiner, forensic pathologist, joining us out of LA. Doctor Oliver, thank you for being with us. Doctor, my understanding is there`s at least -- which means more -- one tooth still attached to the jawbone. Where are they going to get DNA?

HOWARD OLIVER, FMR. DEPUTY MEDICAL EXAMINER: They can get DNA from the pulp, the inner parts of the tooth.

GRACE: Explain.

OLIVER: Well, the pulp contains the nerves and some of the nutrient materials. It`s inside the tooth. It`s usually retained. It`s not destroyed by the water and the elements. They would have to break the tooth open to get to the pulp, though.

GRACE: And what we are hearing, Dr. Oliver, is it`s going to be easier for them to get the DNA out of the interior of the tooth, as opposed to out of the jawbone. Why?

OLIVER: There is -- the pulp is retained much better because the enamel of the tooth protects the pulp.

HEATER WALSH-HANEY, FORENSIC ANTHROPOLOGIST: Yes, I am, Nancy.

GRACE: Heather, a lot of questions for you tonight. Number one, how can you look at a jaw bone? I can understand with possibly the chest bones, the pelvic bones, maybe the legs. But how can you look at a jaw bone and tell the difference between a male and female adult?
WALSH-HANEY: Ah, well, what you do is you actually look at the chin area. And in females, the midline of the chin is very pointy. In males, it`s actually blunt on the midline and then on either side, let`s say if you put your index finger right underneath your lip on the midline, on males, you`ll have two large bumps there. So right away, you can tell the difference between male and female.
GRACE: So it`s just that easy.

WALSH-HANEY: It is that easy. I promise.

GRACE: OK. Now, next question, Heather.

With me is Heather Walsh-Haney, forensic anthropologist from the Florida Gulf Coast University.

We`re taking your calls so if you`ve got a question for Heather, call it in now.

OK, Heather, you`ve explained that a male has two bumps right under the lip in the midsection of the face.

WALSH-HANEY: Yes.

GRACE: All right. How can you determine that it is a white female as opposed to an Hispanic, Asian, African-American? How do you tell?

WALSH-HANEY: Well, it tells me that they`ve got a molar and the molars of different races have different shapes and different contours. So what they`ve probably done is looked at the contours of the teeth, the crevices and the bumps, and by looking at these crevices and bumps, they`ve determined without a doubt that it`s someone who`s white or of European ancestry.

GRACE: OK. Hold on. So your back teeth. You`re referring to your back teeth, upper and lowers.

WALSH-HANEY: Yes.

GRACE: Tell me that one more time. How can you tell it`s a white female versus Asian, Hispanic, African-American? How do you know it`s a white female?

WALSH-HANEY: We know it`s a white female because the chewing teeth in the back of your mouth, your molars, in whites, they will have an extra bump on them, a bump that`s on the tongue side of that tooth.

And so it sounds to me like they have one of those molars that allowed them to be so doggone determined that it is a white female.
GRACE: So you`re telling me that no other ethnicity has that bump on the back molar?

WALSH-HANEY: Well, typically, no. It tends to be with whites.

GRACE: OK. Let me -- last question. Last question that I know of right now, Heather Walsh-Haney.

Heather, joining us from Ft. Myers, Florida tonight.

Now, Heather, how can you tell between a young adult white female and an older adult white female, say, 20 versus 40 or 20 versus 50? How do you do that?

WALSH-HANEY: Ah, well, you do that because, as your teeth grow, they grow from the crown first and then the roots that anchor into the bone. And so what we expect to see with a girl Natalee`s age -- 18 -- is we expect to see that roots for those molars are not quite complete

The wisdom teeth that many of us get pulled out, for her may not be completely developed yet. And so they`re looking at the size, the length and the completeness of those tooth roots.

They may also be looking at the enamel, the white part of the teeth. They`re looking at the enamel seeing if there is evidence of filling, maybe chipping, maybe wear, that would be indicative of someone who is much older than Natalee.

bbm

Thought this info was worth repeating...very interesting!

I know this will sound far fetched, but the timing is strange to me. Could the Aruban police have covered for Joran all this time and have had possession of the jawbone? It seems strange now that Paulas has passed away, JVS has been arrested for another murder and Beth went to visit JVS and begged him for information, that the jawbone is so quickly found? Could the Aruban police realize this case just isn't going away and decided now was the time to 'plant' the jawbone and end covering for JVS? I just think it's a little too convenient the timing of this find if it is actually Natalee. JMO

i will also hold my breath. Nancy has a tendency to go overboard and often the info given is a "big stretch" from the verifiable truth. I'd give my eye teeth for this to be Natalee but its been 5 years. What are the chances- 1 million to one???? If this is Natalee this has happened as an act of GOD- chances are so remote. I became a Websleuth member because of this case. I just really would like Beth and Dave to have closure and be given the opportunity to lay Natalee to rest!!!!
My hopes and prayers are with Natalee's parents and may JVS rot in H----!!!!!!!

That guy on NG from Aruba said there were big storms before the find. I'm going to believe that.

Just on HLN, Jean C said the jawbone/tooth is of a young woman and tests should be back in 2 days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crimecat8