AUS - Khandalyce Kiara Pearce (Wynarka) and mum Karlie Pearce-Stevenson (Belanglo) #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Police update in 5 minutes ABC TV News

ABCNews24 will cross to news conference as soon as it starts.

Yeah - people keep saying that LE have done an amazing job, but if it wasn't for someone actually calling and telling them who Khandalyce was and actually sending them a photo of her with the quilt, they might never have discovered her identity. I know that waaaay back at the beginning of these threads people were speculating that little "Angel" was never reported missing because her mother had also been murdered, but we assumed that her DNA was being compared to all unidentified murdered women of childbearing age - obviously we were wrong.

We have to remember that they only very recently managed to extract some partial DNA from the femur of the child's remains.
I think they would have got to the comparison with the Belangalo body eventually, but they announced they had started on the crimianal DNA database first.
In retrospect it does seem odd they didn't cross-match with unknown bodies first though.

Forgive typos - watching on iPad while typing on phone.

Police have several suspects. Focussing investigations on current updates. Police news conference is being set up. They will cross when it starts.

Khandalyce is pronounced like a cross between Candy and Elise. Can-duh-LISE (lise like Lisa without the a). Emphasis is on the last syllable.

News conference

Just the same old .. Thanking public for support and to keep the info coming

Continuing to work with interstate colleagues

Many theories circulated

Strike force Malaya

Searched homes in the ACT, NSW and SA and those searches have proved productive

They're on the right track it sounds 'strong lines of enquiry' and say they've looked at and spoken to people directly connected

Sounds like they're waiting for all the pieces to come together and are preparing the case for trial before arrest

Won't be long now ...

Crossing now.

Investigations continuing across a number of jurisdictions. Police thank the public, ask for assistance to continue.

Investigations across 2 states, 2 territories, 10 years.

Fast paced investigation. Lots of theories swirling.

A number of homes in ACT and SA have been searched and have been very productive. Karlie and Khandalyce were at those places.

Currently persuing a very strong line of enquiry. Currently speaking to people they believe have actual knowledge of what happened.

Focus is on gathering evidence.

Did not take questions.

No arrests yet. They obviously have someone in their sights though - conducted productive searches in both SA and ACT, people known to Karlie. Concentrating on gathering evidence and building a strong case.

I noticed Willing said those responsible not the person responsible.

I think an arrest will be made as soon as they've gathered enough evidence to make it a watertight case. They won't leave any room for doubt.

No no... I surely don't mean that she killed her child. Not at all. But if a partner killed her child while she was still alive, she may have wrapped her daughter's body in a blanket and hid it somewhere close to her, but away from the murderer, and then Karlie was murdered by the same person who killed her child.

Someone completely unrelated to the crime, wishing to remain anonymous, may have found the bones, and left them out to be discovered somewhere other than his own back yard.

Yes. I still think there is an emotional reason for keeping the bones, quilt and clothes togethr.

Thank you for all the updates guys :)

Just a matter of time now, feels like it won't be long at all until they have the :jail:

Did anyone notice he referred to "10 year investigation" on the news update? Or was I hearing things?

Does anyone know what the procedure is for travelling across state borders these days? Do they search cars, etc, or do they take your word for what you say you are or are not carrying. It's been many years since I've done a state crossing and am now unfamiliar with the process.

In Australia there is no procedure.
On SA borders there is a fruit checkpoint, usually not staffed, for dumping your fruit so you don't transport fruitfly, but that's it.
I have crossed the borders of SA hundreds of times and only once seen a fruitfly point with a staff member, and even then he only asked me if I had any fruit.
They don't search and most people don't even stop at them.

Did anyone notice he referred to "10 year investigation" on the news update? Or was I hearing things?

Yes I think you're right, but I think he said it like 'investigation that spans 10 years' or similar .. I guess that means they're reaching back since before Karlie and Kandalyse left Alice Springs?

Khandalyce wouldn't have been born in 2005. They must be digging deep!

Describing the lines of inquiry as "very strong" and the searches "very productive", Det-Supt Willing says police still believe people who knew the young mum and daughter personally "hold the key to their death".

Despite the breakthrough in what Det-Supt described as a "fast-paced and complex investigation", he stressed that it was important to separate "fact from fiction" and "take the time to get the investigation right".

Read more at http://www.9news.com.au/national/20...-of-karlie-and-khandalyce#m2ob0TIxpBZ6QKs9.99

Police investigating the brutal murder of toddler Khandalyce Kiara Pearce and her mother Karlie Jade Pearce-Stevenson now believe multiple suspects may have been involved in their deaths and dumping in two separate spots.

South Australian Police Superintendent Des Bray today confirmed detectives from across South Australia and NSW had raided a series of properties in Canberra and South Australia in relation to the double homicide.

As part of a media briefing this afternoon he said investigators were still following up several lines of inquiries but believe they could be dealing with multiple suspects.

"We are looking at more than one person… we are looking at the possible involvement of more than one person in this case," he said.

"There’s certainly a cause for us to look at more than one person."

Supt Bray refused to speculate or reveal any further information, saying earlier speculation had led investigators on several false leads.

http://www.9news.com.au/national/20...-suspect-could-be-involved-in-double-homicide

Tasmania is more serious about bringing fruit in. Seen the sniffer dogs at the airport and the boat a few times. I saw them training a little one at the baggage conveyor thing - too cute! But they don't check carry-on as far as I've seen. Anyway, I guess we're really talking about the mainland.

“We are currently pursuing a very strong line of inquiry but we are keeping an open mind. We are also speaking to people who we suspect have knowledge of what has occurred to this young mum and her little girl. There is every indication that friends or associates – people Karlie may have met or been in contact with while travelling between 2006 and 2010 – hold the key to their deaths."

and

Police are yet to determine a motive for the murders but think the pair were killed in December 2008. The single mother was last seen on November 2008 on the Stuart Highway in Coober Pedy.

from the same article as above but I wanted to point out the date separately.

http://www.9news.com.au/national/20...-suspect-could-be-involved-in-double-homicide

Kassidi Lally dated Karlie for one to three months when she was about 17 or 18 years old and living in Alice Springs.

Mr Lally said the last time he saw Karlie she was pregnant at a bus stop in Alice Springs.

He said his attention was first drawn to the tragedy by his current girlfriend who had been following the case of the "baby in the suitcase".

"She has been going on about it for a while, and then yesterday, when I got home from work she said, 'the mother's from Alice Springs. Do you know her?'," Mr Lally said.

"She said the name and I didn't recognise the name. She showed me a photo and for about five to 10 minutes later, I was gutted. I was in complete shock. I didn't say anything. I couldn't really put a sentence together or anything."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-10-...ied-in-karlie-pearce-stevenson-murder/6878164

Her ex boyfriend did not recognise the name.
Had she used another name previously?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member