AUS - Khandalyce Kiara Pearce (Wynarka) and mum Karlie Pearce-Stevenson (Belanglo) #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This may be a dumb question, but why is Australia referred to as Oz?

I can see why you are so interested, coming from Kansas :) It's from the first letters of Australia but as used in the term "Aussie", a nickname for a person from Australia, which is pronounced "Ozzie". So Oz is a short nickname for Australia but with the Aussie / Ozzie pronunciation.

CSI Michelle did you mean Cam as in Camera? Another thing that could have been purchased at Rabbit Photo, if it was not a suitcase.

The only reason I can think of is because it's a homonym of AUS, the three letter abbreviation. When some Australians say 'Australia' and 'Aussie', it sounds like 'Oz-tray-ya' and 'Oz-zee'.

Another piece of trivia, at one time Sydney was known as 'The Emerald City'; a reference to Oz.

I can see why you are so interested, coming from Kansas :) It's from the first letters of Australia but as used in the term "Aussie", a nickname for a person from Australia, which is pronounced "Ozzie". So Oz is a short nickname for Australia but with the Aussie / Ozzie pronunciation.

Exactly why I was confused!! Thank you all for your answers!

The only reason I can think of is because it's a homonym of AUS, the three letter abbreviation. When some Australians say 'Australia' and 'Aussie', it sounds like 'Oz-tray-ya' and 'Oz-zee'.

Another piece of trivia, at one time Sydney was known as 'The Emerald City'; a reference to Oz.

That would have really thrown me!

IMO the surviving child may of been dropped off to friends in mt gambier . Then karlie gave DH a lift to canberra . DH has ties there . Only a theory . That would explain why they went out of their way

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Mm
26 July 2015
What police know about the child:
* Believed to be a girl .... indeed it was Khandalyce.
* Aged 2.5 - 4 years at time of death ....... 2008 when Karlie was last seen alive to 2012 when Karlies mother passed and bankcard use ceased.
* Likely Caucasian
* Had fair hair, 18cm long
* Was 90-95cm tall
* Was killed at another location
* Was killed some time since the start of 2007 .......
This while waiting on DNA profiles...evidently.

4 Aug
* Was killed at another location
* Was killed some time since the start of 2007 and 12-18 months ago.

Des Bray also noted there were only 28 dresses sold by Cotton on Kids throughout South Australia about eight years ago and it was not sold over the internet or in markets "so again that dress may hold the key".

https://www.police.sa.gov.au/sa-pol...l-service-area/task-force-mallee#.Vjtgy_krKUk

It just feels to me as though Khandalyce name may have come and awaiting DNA. To confirmed against a living relative But her mother, grandmother and great grandmother had now passed away.

The link to Angel 1500 k's away may not have initially been made until LE followed the money. imo
The tutu, maybe.

5 Feb 2012.
The police have tried every avenue at their disposal to establish the victim's identity. All they have to go on is the frustrating age range based on dental x-rays - a female between 13 and 25years - and the even more frustrating length of time the body may have been in the area - anywhere between six months and 10years.
The bones were found with a size10 girl's T-shirt, short-sleeved with the word ''Angelic'' printed across the front in pink text, along with a rose and a heart with angel wings; the girl-woman has since been dubbed ''Angel''.
Police are treating the death as suspicious, although they're not saying how she died, and have combed the country's missing persons database to eliminate the possibility that she might tie in with other records.
There are no matches for her DNA, and while an examination of her teeth indicates that, like most people in Australia, she has had some ''Western-style'' dental work done, there have been no matches to any dental records, here or overseas.
http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-news/somebodys-daughter-20120205-1t8r9.html#ixzz3qd6TmSOu

The sad irony is the facial approximations were being run in the media (this article the 5 Feb 2012) and Colleen Povey passed on the 6 Feb 2012.

http://www.territorystories.nt.gov.au/bitstream/10070/238195/49/cadv10feb12049x.pdf

It's very sad isn't it?
You are right, curious. Her maternal relatives were passed away. She has been quoted as having a step father and step brother. i don't think I have ever heard a biological father mentioned for KPS. I am sure I recall the police saying that both KP and KPS had been identified because KP had her DNA " in the system".
I will try and find a link .
I wonder what that means. Isnt it unusual for children to have their DNA in the system?

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/the-call-...ng-murder-investigations-20151021-gkf1q7.html

Mm

It's very sad isn't it?
You are right, curious. Her maternal relatives were passed away. She has been quoted as having a step father and step brother. i don't think I have ever heard a biological father mentioned for KPS. I am sure I recall the police saying that both KP and KPS had been identified because KP had her DNA " in the system".
I will try and find a link .
I wonder what that means. Isnt it unusual for children to have their DNA in the system?

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/the-call-...ng-murder-investigations-20151021-gkf1q7.html

Karlie and Khandalyce: Police trace DNA through pinprick blood test

The test that involves taking a spot of blood from the baby’s heel 48 to 72 hours after birth and saving it for 18 years, has been used since the 1970s but critics still claim it is a DNA databank by stealth.

The Guthrie blood sample from Khandalyce’s medical records in Alice Springs was analysed by Forensic Science South Australia and conclusively matched the DNA profile extracted from the skeletal remains in the suitcase found alongside a South Australian highway in July.

Police knew from relatives that her mother, Karlie Jade Pearce-Stevenson, had also been missing from around 2008. Blood samples from Ms Pearce-Stevenson’s medical records were also used to develop a DNA profile.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...580537157?sv=e6553435f04faa8957c2ac025aa28b76

What does is really matter about Mt Gambier and why does it matter who was in the car? Why do you need to know the reason for going to Canberra? This is all so irrelevant really isn't it? Two people have been horribly snatched from life and I am sure that SAPOL know the hows and whys of just about everything and need to get the evidence organized before laying further charges in these cases. MOO

I feel it is important to attempt to establish her movements - where she went and why she went there - prior to her murder.

Probably lazy Australians my friend. It should be Aus, but Oz is part of the vernacular here. It is not where the Wizard of Oz came from.

Another reason maybe that a magazine first published in Australia in 1963, then later in England in 1967 ( I think ) was called " OZ ".
The publishers were charged with offences for publishing the words "breast" and "penis" these words were considered obscene in England in the 1960s. (But not in Australia).

Link ref: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oz_(magazine)

Why would Karlie go to Mt Gambier before making her way around to Belanglo?

The most direct routes from Adelaide to Canberra are:

1. Sturt Highway -- 1,159 klm -- 12 hours 8 minutes

2. M31 -- 1,250 klm -- 13 hours 9 minutes

However, the above routes seem to go through some comparatively desolate country.

It’s possible that Karlie was taking a more scenic, although slightly longer route to Canberra.

Adelaide to Mount Gambier

Highway A8 and Riddoch Highway / A66 -- 435 klm -- 4 hours 36 minutes

Mount Gambier to Canberra

Three main routes:

1. M31 -- 1,018 klm -- 11 hours

2. Glenelg Highway / B 160 and M31 -- 1,065 klm -- 11 hours 5 minutes

3. C345 and M31 -- 1,051 -- 11 hours 19 minutes

If you have google earth then you can ask it for directions and it will map routes for you. Things sometimes make more sense if you can actually ‘see’ them.

A list of 256 children's names compiled from Commonwealth databases and provided to police in August have all but been ruled out.
Investigators are reluctant to detail how the list was collated but it is understood records, including immunisation and Centrelink, were searched.
If a child got to a certain age and stopped appearing on records, her name might have made the list.

These names will be cross-referenced against state records and some will be eliminated from the investigation quickly. Door knocking will be the last resort, police don't want to cause unnecessary panic.

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/little-gi...s-homicide-20150923-gjt1ah.html#ixzz3qfsVV7ge

Centerlink payments ceased early 2011.
Last immunisation at 18 months... abt 2008
Not enrolled in school in any state....
No medicare records .. presumably for her or her mother.
Her mothers bank transactions ceased in March 2012.

How could Khandalyce not have made firstly the commonwealth list and then the cross reference state lists?

Early MSM reports after KPS and KP were identified mentioned that they had other family members in Alice Springs and the many death notices for KPS's mother Colleen Povey that were posted by someone earlier today also indicate that too. The Police statements said that these days blood samples are routinely taken of both mother and newborn children in Australia and those blood samples were used to compare to the DNA taken from their skeletal remains.

I hope it is OK to state this without trying to find the relevant links, as I don't know a good way to do a search of the thread that brings up particular posts.

AFAIK the Guthrie test (heel prick) has been done on all Australian newborns since the 60s or 70s.
The blood is on a card and according to Wikipedia is tested for :
Galactosemia
Immunoreactive Trypsinogen (IRT) to detect cystic fibrosis.
Maple syrup urine disease (MSUD or Branched Chain Ketonuria) a rare disorder where an error in metabolism inhibits the breakdown of amino acid leucine, isoleucine and valine. It can impair brain development.
Medium-chain acyl-coenzyme A dehydrogenase deficiency (MCADD)
Phenylketonuria, a disorder where an error in amino acid metabolism can impair brain development (PKU)
Sickle-cell disease[3]
Thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH) to detect congenital hypothyroidism and hence prevent cretinism.

But s a general rule the blood just stays there on the card.
I believe it was only after someone alerted Crimestoppers that the body may be Khandalyce that the Guthrie card was located and the DNA tested.

In case it helps anyone:

" the Guthrie test, has been part of the routine care for all newborn babies in Australia for over 40 years."

http://healthywa.wa.gov.au/Healthy-WA/Articles/U_Z/Your-newborn-babys-screening-test

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member