AUS - Khandalyce Kiara Pearce, Wynarka, Bones of a Child Discovered, July'15 - #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Something else I was mulling over this morning after looking at the quilt. I was thinking "bloodstains" and I've heard it mentioned before. Then I realized it's very bright red. Blood typically darkens in color rapidly even when in contact with fabric. I wonder what else -- paint, chemicals, something poured on it, fabric dye -- would cause that red color.

JMO but, just because there was a handmade quilt with the bones of this child does not mean that someone is out there who must be worried about where this child is.

I have made a lot of quilts throughout my years. Some of those quilts have been for children of my ex-husband's family, ex co-worker's children and I have even sold some quilts that I have made. I wouldn't wonder where any of those children were as they aren't in my life.

Also, I have heard that this quilt would have been made by an advanced quilter. I disagree with that theory. This quilt was paper pieced and was not a traditionally made quilt. Basically, it was more of an appliqued together quilt. It was made by using one very large piece of material as a backing piece and then hexagons were sewn on one at a time.

There is much less precision and skill required when making a quilt in this fashion as compared to when you sew triangles to each corner of the hexagon to form squares and then sew all of the squares into rows and sew the rows together to form the quilt top. There would be no matching up the corners, no points to match up, it is a quilt that a beginner could do with ease. Especially since they used a sewing machine to attach each hexagon and didn't do any hand sewing.

This is JMO based on a lifetime of quilting and sewing experience.

So, would the piece have been the musical notes or something different? Or either one I guess?

Can anyone who can obviously see better than me (HAHA) mark out the quilt blocks already identified? Obviously, I can turn a camel into goldfish so I'm not the best candidate here. ;)

Also, would that have been pieced onto a larger musical notes piece? There had to be something between the hex blocks. I hope it was musical notes, going by my elusive short term memory today.

I'm with you on the camel...still not seeing it. Oh well.

JMO but, just because there was a handmade quilt with the bones of this child does not mean that someone is out there who must be worried about where this child is.

I have made a lot of quilts throughout my years. Some of those quilts have been for children of my ex-husband's family, ex co-worker's children and I have even sold some quilts that I have made. I wouldn't wonder where any of those children were as they aren't in my life.

Also, I have heard that this quilt would have been made by an advanced quilter. I disagree with that theory. This quilt was paper pieced and was not a traditionally made quilt. Basically, it was more of an appliqued together quilt. It was made by using one very large piece of material as a backing piece and then hexagons were sewn on one at a time.

There is much less precision and skill required when making a quilt in this fashion as compared to when you sew triangles to each corner of the hexagon to form squares and then sew all of the squares into rows and sew the rows together to form the quilt top. There would be no matching up the corners, no points to match up, it is a quilt that a beginner could do with ease. Especially since they used a sewing machine to attach each hexagon and didn't do any hand sewing.

I totally agree with ALL of this! I can sew beautiful dresses, and costumes, but cannot quilt to save my life(too many precise measurements, too many cuts, I lose patience), but this looks like something I could manage! And I have made so many dresses/rompers/outfits that I may not even recognize something I had made, even if it was in good condition unless I had just made it recently.

So, would the piece have been the musical notes or something different? Or either one I guess?

It looks like the large piece of fabric is a beige piece. You can see it best behind the camel hexagon because it's folded over. The music notes was sewn on as a border around all of the edges. The reason there is sort of a row of music notes in the middle of the quilt is because as it is deteriorating, the fabric is sort of peeling off and sticking to the other parts of the quilt where it was folded onto itself. It makes it almost impossible to tell what the hexagons would be underneath that area.

What if it's a time issue.
You want to make a nice present for someone you just met. Or for a poor child that will be pleased with whatever you give to her. Would this method of quilt making be an option then?

You want to make a nice present for someone you just met. Or for a poor child that will be pleased with whatever you give to her. Would this method of quilt making be an option then?

This would be the perfect quilt to make if time was of the essence. You can put something like this together very quickly. (If this is an alphabet I-Spy quilt, you would have to have all of your fabric though which can be time consuming to find all of the fabric. It was more difficult years ago than it is now as the idea has gained popularity so fabric makers have begun making cute fabrics specifically for people looking for alphabet fabrics.)

It wouldn't take me long to make. Probably less than a day. I don't wish to sound snobby, but it's not a high end quilt. The fabrics are cheapish, if you used a mixed pack of charm squares, the border fabric and some cotton sheeting as base fabric it would cost no more than a tenner to make.

This would be the perfect quilt to make if time was of the essence. You can put something like this together very quickly. (If this is an alphabet I-Spy quilt, you would have to have all of your fabric though which can be time consuming to find all of the fabric. It was more difficult years ago than it is now as the idea has gained popularity so fabric makers have begun making cute fabrics specifically for people looking for alphabet fabrics.)

Is it really an alphabet quilt. Weren't there possibly 2 hexagons with dragonflies on it?
That would mean no alphabet quilt. But maybe just a nice colorful quilt made out of leftover pieces you already have. The pumpkin hexagon might very well be something of a fire resistant oven glove (or how do you call it :D).
It is strange that the pumpkin piece of cloth remained almost unaffected, but the other pieces are mostly gone.

It wouldn't take me long to make. Probably less than a day. I don't wish to sound snobby, but it's not a high end quilt. The fabrics are cheapish, if you used a mixed pack of charm squares, the border fabric and some cotton sheeting as base fabric it would cost no more than a tenner to make.

You don't sound snobby at all. It is what it is and you are totally right. It's not a high end quilt, it's not a difficult design and the fabrics are just basic.

Is it really an alphabet quilt. Weren't there possibly 2 hexagons with dragonflies on it?
That would mean no alphabet quilt. But maybe just a nice colorful quilt made out of leftover pieces you already have. The pumpkin hexagon might very well be something of a fire resistant oven glove (or how do you call it :D).
It is strange that the pumpkin piece of cloth remained almost unaffected, but the other pieces are mostly gone.

I don't know if anyone has verified 2 dragonfly hexagons or not. Another possibility that some pieces could be more preserved than others could be that whatever was inside the quilt at that particular spot protected the fabric from decomposition. I can't imagine putting a plasticized or oven mitt piece of fabric into a quilt but who knows what someone else might do.

That pumpkin piece is really an oddity to me. It's probably polyester fabric, whereas it seems that all the rest are cotton. Would an experienced quilter mix one oddball type of fabric (compared to the whole) into that quilt?

I remember years ago my brother dropped a football jersey while our family was hiking. We found it the next year, and the next, and the next. Polyester.

JaneSA I think you are spot on about that. I'm sure someone took it thinking it might contain something of value then dumped it when they saw it contained manky clothes.

Now I'm wondering how he knew roughly where to look for it, if indeed the suitcase man is him.

Just had a wild thought. What if the suitcase was stolen, and the thieves saw the bones and realized what they were. Dumped the suitcase - then got the bright idea of blackmailing the owners. Had the owner leave money somewhere, then told him where they dumped the case - only they'd dumped it at night/while intoxicated or were otherwise uncertain of an exact location - or suitcase man doesn't quite understand their directions.

The pumpkin sunflower square has bothered me for awhile, 2 thoughts, it could be kitchen fabric that was treated with fire retardent chemicles so it may not decompose as fast, could it be a patch that was added much later in the quilts life, maybe the original square got a tear, so they put a new patch over it the material would be much stronger as it had not been laundered for as many years

Sometimes quilts like this are made of prints that have sentimental value to the maker or recipient. So parts of favorite dresses, etc. Sometimes the fabrics don't match when you do that. Yeah, I know, not the best way to do it, but did you ever try to tell a four-year-old you can't include part of her doll's blankie because it's the wrong kind of material? :D

Sometimes quilts like this are made of prints that have sentimental value to the maker or recipient. So parts of favorite dresses, etc. Sometimes the fabrics don't match when you do that. Yeah, I know, not the best way to do it, but did you ever try to tell a four-year-old you can't include part of her doll's blankie because it's the wrong kind of material? :D

OMGoodness, can you imagine if this is an I-Spy Quilt made of someone's old dresses?? Oh the horror that woman's closet has seen!

Hello everyone,
I have been looking into the dora shirt. It is a fake since it says dora explorer not dora the explorer any ideas? Close to the label is the word haola means hello?

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

I know that some of us are speculating that this child's mother was a kidnap victim herself, and that an explanation that no extended family reported the child missing. That could be true -- anything could be true. But in my work life, I am well acquainted with dysfunctional and/or distant extended families. For example, when a child comes into foster care due to abuse or neglect there is supposed to be an exhaustive search conducted of all family members (not that this is always done, but it should be done). The view is that a child is better off with a family member provided that they can offer the child has a safe home. Quite often, you will find family members eager to be approved to care for the child, but not always. Some parents subject to Departmental intervention are estranged from their extended families or experience significant conflict in those relationships. A child protection worker might track down family members one by one and find that these family members did not even know that the child was no longer in the care of their parents. Or that they did know, but don't want to get involved, or did want to get involved but didn't realise that they had the right to approach the Department themselves to seek care of or contact with the child. In one of these families, a little girl might disappear and her grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, or even half-siblings who have always lived separately might never even know. It could be years since they laid eyes on the parents.

These images were posted back in one of the previous threads. It definitely looks like a hat in the policeman's hand, similar to the second pic below.

attachment.php_zpsn6l2hlpj.jpg

Workmans%20hat_zpshkitb3eb.gif

Who wears such a hat? Flower pickers, fruit pickers? The murderer maybe exerts this job? Maybe on a flower farm in Adelaide Hills? Maybe the suitcase was dumped on Easter Monday? Maybe the little girl was a child from the Netherlands (2012) or a child from another nation living near the flower farm (after 2012)? Maybe the murderer (or an accessory) was on the way to Leeton while dumping the suitcase? Something to do with the murder in Leeton on Easter Sunday?
My theory and gut feeling stands if not something special will happen.

The pumpkin sunflower square has bothered me for awhile, 2 thoughts, it could be kitchen fabric that was treated with fire retardent chemicles so it may not decompose as fast, could it be a patch that was added much later in the quilts life, maybe the original square got a tear, so they put a new patch over it the material would be much stronger as it had not been laundered for as many years

You know, that's an excellent point. I wonder if the police have looked to see if there's another patch under that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timbo1966