AUS - Khandalyce Kiara Pearce, Wynarka, Bones of a Child Discovered, July'15 - #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just have to add..... until very recently I had never heard of Geocaching.....someone brought it up recently and this hobby would have seen many of people who would have been Geo-caching within the very area the suitcase was found.... and might have moved the suitcase a few metres from its original spot to where it was found...

i only first heard about geocaching on here in the badenclay case, sounds fun and its everywhere, apparantly lots of sites in the blue mountains too

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=80141&d=1439821680

I just noticed that the music note fabric shown in the police picture linked above, is the back of the fabric, and the notes are all backwards with the stems attached on the wrong side. Music notes never look like a 'b', or a 'q, but should be either a 'd' or 'p'.

I wonder what's up with that. Why wouldn't they show the front of the fabric on such a large piece? Surely the quilter didn't use the back of the fabric.

Here's a picture of the fabric.
https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/59372553/music-note-fabric-neon-rainbow-musical

Hi musicaljoke, I am a trained musician (former professional violinist) and all the notes on the fabric are depicted accurately, as far as I can see. Some of them are upside down or rotated somewhat, but they are nonetheless represented correctly. In real musical notation, the stems can be above or below the main part of the note, according to where the note appears on the stave. For example, high notes normally have stems pointing down - if they pointed up the way it would take up too much space above the stave, and large gaps would have to be created between musical lines; conversely, low notes normally have their stems pointing up.

The stems normally adjoin the left side of the main part of the note if pointing down; the right if pointing up.

It's all to do with what is easiest on the eye in terms of readability when you are playing a piece of music, and of how tidy and compact the notes look on the page. I found this clip:

[video=youtube;oPBxTcYfh5w]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPBxTcYfh5w[/video]

A bit off topic, apologies folks! But for what it's worth in the context this case I think the fabric maker knew his or her notes...

Wish I could contribute something a bit more constructive - amazing work here today by everyone!

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=80141&d=1439821680 I just noticed that the music note fabric shown in the police picture linked above, is the back of the fabric, and the notes are all backwards with the stems attached on the wrong side. Music notes never look like a 'b', or a 'q, but should be either a 'd' or 'p'. I wonder what's up with that. Why wouldn't they show the front of the fabric on such a large piece? Surely the quilter didn't use the back of the fabric. Here's a picture of the fabric. https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/59372553/music-note-fabric-neon-rainbow-musical
I think the fabric filler is rubbed down to the back of the fabric. You are looking at the wrong side of the back fabric. It has been deteriorated so badly. The fact they can show the blanket shows it wasn't directly against the girls body like some of the other clothes they can't show. It makes you wonder if really has significance accept it might find the owner of the former owner who likely sent that to the dump where the criminal picked up the old luggage.

They have stated that the wadding was polyester, it's a horrible white stuff that comes in different thicknesses but is inexpensive.

I think the fabric filler is rubbed down to the back of the fabric. You are looking at the wrong side of the back fabric. It has been deteriorated so badly. The fact they can show the blanket shows it wasn't directly against the girls body like some of the other clothes they can't show. It makes you wonder if really has significance accept it might find the owner of the former owner who likely sent that to the dump where the criminal picked up the old luggage.

The town is depressing IMO

I am now totally 100% discounting the two witnesses opinions that said the person wasn't a "local".

How would they know if the person was local or not (they admittedly) said they don't mix with the "Blow Ins".

They were born and Breed "Locals" of Wynarka .... the "Blow Ins".... started almost a decade ago.

This suitcase man has "now".... been reported as being seen by at least 12 people within the town over autumn...

'Cough" .... these "Local" ladies think they have their finger on the pulse of "Their Town" ...

Suitcase man's mistake was having the same mentality.... that he thought if he went out at 7.30 - 8.00am - there would be no one around and he could do what ever he had to do without being observed....as everyone in this town ignored each other!!

We went from the town consisting of 17 people, to the town actually having around 24 residents... to then having "locals" stating that only approximately 8 were permanent residents, the other's being the "blow Ins" - to be avoided and ignored.

Some people move to such places to be "Nobodies" to be ignored...to re-invent themselves or their histories ... truthfully I think a town such as Wynarka or any similar small town is the perfect place for anyone with secrets to set themselves up in...who's going to question your history?? ... when they aren't interested in you in the first place.

Puggle, for what it's worth I think your post is very insightful.

I would have said, generally speaking, that locals have knowledge of a place that no-one else does, and in that sense they are great witnesses. They are sensitive to what is usual and what is not usual, and will pick up on things that would never even register with a non-local.

However, your view is more sophisticated.

Just one thought, though. If suitcase man was indeed better acquainted with Wynarka than witnesses claimed, then he would surely know that 7.30 or 8 am were not early hours for residents.

Even without knowing the town well, we all know that in a lot of rural communities people are up at the crack of dawn, and that older people often get up very early as well. Assuming that Wynarka's population is an ageing one - what employment opportunities or activities are there for younger people? - then what would make suitcase man think that 7.30 to 8 am would be an especially quiet time?

Given that sunrise times locally would be around 6.30 am for that time of year - please correct me if I am wrong; I had to look that one up! - then 7.30 is hardly early.

Hi musicaljoke, I am a trained musician (former professional violinist) and all the notes on the fabric are depicted accurately, as far as I can see. Some of them are upside down or rotated somewhat, but they are nonetheless represented correctly. In real musical notation, the stems can be above or below the main part of the note, according to where the note appears on the stave. For example, high notes normally have stems pointing down - if they pointed up the way it would take up too much space above the stave, and large gaps would have to be created between musical lines; conversely, low notes normally have their stems pointing up.

The stems normally adjoin the left side of the main part of the note if pointing down; the right if pointing up.

It's all to do with what is easiest on the eye in terms of readability when you are playing a piece of music, and of how tidy and compact the notes look on the page. I found this clip:

[video=youtube;oPBxTcYfh5w]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPBxTcYfh5w[/video]

A bit off topic, apologies folks! But for what it's worth in the context this case I think the fabric maker knew his or her notes...

Wish I could contribute something a bit more constructive - amazing work here today by everyone!

Thanks for the explanation, but the notes in the police photo are backwards :)

Here's the police picture. http://www.websleuths.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=80141&d=1439821680

The overall state of the town, while unusually decrepit by the standard of small towns in the Mallee region, may be completely irrelevant to this case.
However, it's what that says about the social scene that interests me and, by extension, what can be inferred regarding the witness statements.
It makes me wonder how seriously they can be taken, despite the police saying they seem credible.

But isn't that in itself odd, now I come to think about it?
I recall the police stating that they thought the witness statements were credible. Is that odd?
Does that mean that initially they didn't think they were?
Is this a statement the police usually make? To say they believe them to be credible?

I mean, don't they usually just say that a witness saw whatever?
Strikes me as peculiar, anyway.

I'm not sure how police work in Australia, but in Britain, witnesses in a given case are formally classified according to their levels of personal reliability and the relevance and significance of the information they are providing. There are terms for different 'levels' of witnesses according to their usefulness to police.

If there is an analogous system in Australia, then perhaps this is what police were referencing, in colloquial terms, when they described witnesses as 'credible'?

I hear what you are saying though. It does sound odd on the face of it. After all, if a witness was not deemed credible, they probably wouldn't merit a mention. So by definition, if police decide to bring witness information to the public, they must take it reasonably seriously or it would simply be left out. Perhaps it's just a figure of speech?

i only first heard about geocaching on here in the badenclay case, sounds fun and its everywhere, apparantly lots of sites in the blue mountains too
Sure is bearbear, we downloaded the app yesterday so we can take my youngest and there's 30 just in my suburb, fun times ahead[emoji6]

Thanks for the explanation, but did you click on the police photo? If those notes are facing the right way then I'll eat my music degrees. :)

Here's the police picture. http://www.websleuths.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=80141&d=1439821680

NOW I see what you mean! So sorry! I clicked on the etsy link for the fabric. In that example, the notes definitely were represented correctly.

I must admit I hate looking at the pictures of the actual quilt and clothes as I hate looking at all the stains - I'm sure we all feel the same way here :( - but I looked at your link here and the notes are definitely round the wrong way, yes.

It looks like we're looking at them through the back of the fabric, except the colour is too vivid for that. Very strange.

Could this be a cheap knock-off fabric, or a 'second', which was printed incorrectly?

Just on the subject of the quilt, I'm sure the police would have checked but I wonder if the pumpkin patch was added at a later date to possibly cover a name or date of birth. If the quilt was a hand me down that's exactly what I'd do and could explain the odd fabric.

Does anyone have any idea for how long Supt. Bray is on leave for?

Is it odd in any way that we haven't had any updates since he left?

Just on the subject of the quilt, I'm sure the police would have checked but I wonder if the pumpkin patch was added at a later date to possibly cover a name or date of birth. If the quilt was a hand me down that's exactly what I'd do and could explain the odd fabric.

I wondered that myself on one of these threads. At one point it looked like the stitching was different, too.

They were definitely a quilted fabric. Yes I believe the pumpkin piece could very easily have been cut from these place mats.

Does anyone have any idea for how long Supt. Bray is on leave for?

Is it odd in any way that we haven't had any updates since he left?

Has he gone on leave to the UK? Perhaps to talk to Madeleine's parents/investigators overseas?

Pretty choice time to take a holiday- during a significant murder case. Maybe there is more to his trip to the UK then we know?

Could this be a cheap knock-off fabric, or a 'second', which was printed incorrectly?

If it is, then that may be a significant way to track it down. I imagine there would not be a great deal of places that sell seconds fabric? I have no idea.

Puggle, for what it's worth I think your post is very insightful.

I would have said, generally speaking, that locals have knowledge of a place that no-one else does, and in that sense they are great witnesses. They are sensitive to what is usual and what is not usual, and will pick up on things that would never even register with a non-local.

However, your view is more sophisticated.

Just one thought, though. If suitcase man was indeed better acquainted with Wynarka than witnesses claimed, then he would surely know that 7.30 or 8 am were not early hours for residents.

Even without knowing the town well, we all know that in a lot of rural communities people are up at the crack of dawn, and that older people often get up very early as well. Assuming that Wynarka's population is an ageing one - what employment opportunities or activities are there for younger people? - then what would make suitcase man think that 7.30 to 8 am would be an especially quiet time?

Given that sunrise times locally would be around 6.30 am for that time of year - please correct me if I am wrong; I had to look that one up! - then 7.30 is hardly early.

I agree that Puggle's is a much more sophisticated view, based on what we know about this town.
There is no community focal point at all - no shop, church, sporting facility - nothing where locals might get together.
So other than going up and knocking on doors to introduce themself, a new comer has no way to get to know the locals.
And by extension, a local has no way to get to know a newcomer.
Given that they have expressed a divisive attitude of "long term locals and blow-ins", I don't think they are keen to welcome new people at all.
Therefore, I am highly sceptical of their claim that they would know if the man was local.
Even if he lived on one of the farms a kilometre from the town, there would be no reason for them to have ever come to know him.

Oh yes, and ditto with what you said about the time, Atara.
It's not early.

Whatever suitcase-man was up to, he was making no attempt to hide what he was doing.
I seriously cannot think he is involved in any way, unless his purpose was to retrieve the case and he had been looking for it for weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timbo1966