Australia - 3 dead after eating wild mushrooms, Leongatha, Victoria, Aug 2023 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
A tip means a rubbish dump in Australia. Where all the rubbish is taken to.

It could also mean a tip to a crime hotline.

A skip is a big rectangular bin

A wheelie bin is what houses or businesses use.

A wheelie bin or a skip are never referred to as a tip.

Oh and Australia is not a country where it's expected to give a tip for service.

A tip means a rubbish dump in Australia. Where all the rubbish is taken to.

It could also mean a tip to a crime hotline.

A skip is a big rectangular bin

A wheelie bin is what houses or businesses use.

A wheelie bin or a skip are never referred to as a tip.

Oh and Australia is not a country where it's expected to give a tip for service.
Thank you! This was so helpful. :)

A food dehydrator would be a pretty strange thing to discuss with the children. I don't think they are normally interested in food processing items.
She claims she was discussing it with her children? For what purpose? Why were they interested in it?

A food dehydrator would be a pretty strange thing to discuss with the children. I don't think they are normally interested in food processing items.
She claims she was discussing it with her children? For what purpose? Why were they interested in it?
Well nobody supplied the context of the conversation where it was mentioned so it may not be strange at all.

she was possibly going through the actions she had taken in the course of preparing the meal.

A food dehydrator would be a pretty strange thing to discuss in the hospital.
Agreed! So this was when she was in hospital, I assume, and the kids and ex came to visit? Or did they come to visit his relatives before they died? At what point in a discussion where a number of people are dead or dying would food dehydration come into play? Are children in the about 10-13 years old range interested in using a food dehydrator? I can't get my head around this entire case.

Well nobody supplied the context of the conversation where it was mentioned so it may not be strange at all.

she was possibly going through the actions she had taken in the course of preparing the meal.
I find it strange. She claims she kept the meal for police to analyze but dumped the dehydrator. I find those actions weird.

Agreed! So this was when she was in hospital, I assume, and the kids and ex came to visit? Or did they come to visit his relatives before they died? At what point in a discussion where a number of people are dead or dying would food dehydration come into play? Are children in the about 10-13 years old range interested in using a food dehydrator? I can't get my head around this entire case.
I am not sure where they were discussing this, but sounds like the husband was present since she claims he overheard the discussion so likely it wasn't in her house that they were discussing it.

Due to the extremely short time that amatoxin persists in the body, I doubt it is more than what I described.

That said, the combination of symptom onset a certain duration after a meal containing mushrooms, along with the characteristic pathologies detectable with the right blood tests presents a cluster of timing, symptoms, lab results and clinical findings that is quite unique and points to a differential diagnosis of death cap mushroom syndrome.

I have some background knowledge and I’ve been researching it in medical journals for a few hours.

Edit : fixed typos
Currently I’m satisfied with the medical assessment that the relatives suffered from mushroom poisoning, specifically death caps and agree with you that symptoms play an important part in a diagnosis.

IMO a key aspect of the differential is the rapid liver failure which all four experienced. Many substances, ranging from arsenic, botulism, prescription meds, dry cleaning chemicals, etc. can cause death but a stand out symptom of death cap poisoning is liver failure within 24 to 48 hours after ingestion.

Death caps are common in the region and the victims displayed symptoms consistent with death cap poisoning so unless the autopsies reveal some unusual cause other than the obvious it seems to be what the doctors suspect.

IMO we’re going to hear a new story from EP at some point. MOO

Reading about rhe death wall I assumed it was either a disturbed parent or when EP blamed the kids a teenager...

To find out the kids are in year 5 and 7 (yr 4&6 when the wall was drawn on) is quite disturbing. Makes me wonder what kind of environment was the house if the kids felt that kind of thing appropriate to draw and why the parents would let it happen in a dining room of all places.

Writing 'goodbye grandma' where people eat then your grandparents die from poisoning after eating a meal...how did EPs parents die again?...

It does seem quite an unusual wall.

I know I couldn't live with something like that in my house.

Maybe it was left over from Halloween.

It seems people then don't think death stuff is that bad (around Halloween time)
Nobody seems to think it weird or strange, or unusual.
Ie walking skeletons etc and floating heads, blood everywhere, death etc are laughed at.
Creepy stuff then is seen as funny.

So it seems it's seen as weird and creepy and strange at some times, but other times it's seen as funny.

It's been edited.
here's the tube link

I sub to this, it's not paywalled, they just want you to register

Thank you so much! At approx 1.05 he does report that Patterson says "...they all brought a dish, something to eat, and she cooked beef Wellington...". Assume he's summarising the statement mailed to Police on Friday. My question is, if this is correct reporting of what is in her statement why has it been left out by the ABC, who have received a copy of that statement? Surely it's significant? Or could be. There is no ambiguity in the reporter's summarising and the Age is not really a tabloid Imo. This needs to be verified by the survivor Ian Wilkinson and perhaps friends/other relatives of the victims who have any knowledge of what if any dishes the in-laws took to the lunch.. Moo Good spot!

ETA: when you say edited, you mean the 'everyone brought a dish line' is omitted in updated reports and written reports? Reporter was mistaken?

Btw, for some reason I didn't have to register - just clicked on your link and it played.

Last edited:
Thank you so much! At approx 1.05 he does report that Patterson says "...they all brought a dish, something to eat, and she cooked beef Wellington...". Assume he's summarising the statement mailed to Police on Friday. My question is, if this is correct reporting of what is in her statement why has it been left out by the ABC, who have received a copy of that statement? Surely it's significant? Or could be. There is no ambiguity in the reporter's summarising and the Age is not really a tabloid Imo. This needs to be verified by the survivor Ian Wilkinson and perhaps friends/other relatives of the victims who have any knowledge of what if any dishes the in-laws took to the lunch.. Moo Good spot!
I was quite surprised to read it this morning because we had been discussing this specific thing in the last few days.. glad you found it.

It does seem quite an unusual wall.

I know I couldn't live with something like that in my house.

Maybe it was left over from Halloween.

It seems people then don't think death stuff is that bad (around Halloween time)
Nobody seems to think it weird or strange, or unusual.
Ie walking skeletons etc and floating heads, blood everywhere, death etc are laughed at.
Creepy stuff then is seen as funny.

So it seems it's seen as weird and creepy and strange at some times, but other times it's seen as funny.

We see through our individual filters.
They are not the same.

I’m wondering if the dishes could have been things like salad without mushrooms, potatoes , jello; all not inclined to be toxic— because their symptoms seemed to indicate death cap toxins and neither medical professionals nor law enforcement suspected the other dishes: Just EP’s.

I’m wondering if the dishes could have been things like salad without mushrooms, potatoes , jello; all not inclined to be toxic— because their symptoms seemed to indicate death cap toxins and neither medical professionals nor law enforcement suspected the other dishes: Just EP’s.
I don't think guests brought any other dishes. I think the reporter who claims there were dishes brought over got confused. She claims she put the dish she cooked on plates and guests picked the plates to eat from, not that they brought dishes with them, as far as I can tell.

I am not sure where they were discussing this, but sounds like the husband was present since she claims he overheard the discussion so likely it wasn't in her house that they were discussing it.
On second thought, abc link supports the idea that she was discussing this food processor with her children at the hospital.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bloocheez