Australia - 3 dead after eating wild mushrooms, Leongatha, Victoria, Aug 2023 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Out of @RickshawFan 's geek brain:

Yes, "pot pie" is a US term for meat pie, more or less a stew of some kind with pastry on top.

"Pie" in US is generally fruit or custard or even ice cream. We could have strawberry pie, pecan pie, or banana cream pie. Or....Whoopie Pie, which is frosting between two cakey cookies!

"Pie" in UK would always be meat or fish with a top, but might not have pastry, as in shepherds' pie or fish pie?

"Tart" in UK would be what in the US we generally call "pie", but may include a few other presentations, like "treacle tart"?

Don't even get me started with "mincemeat tarts"..... Mincemeat used to be meat (plus suet?), and still is when used savory, but now is a dried-fruit concoction when used in tarts.

AUS generally has UK usage?

The international linguistic lines are blurring apace. I speak both UK English and American English and they are like different languages, not just accents, (And then there's colonial usage in ex-empire....!), but what vocabulary is now current or understood in various English speaking countries is more of a challenge. Didn't used to be (I knew exactly which vocabulary to use), but is now.

Imagine how us Canadians feel trying to follow this thread - we're a mix of U.S. and 'proper' English!
'tart' here is a mini-pie lol
we use pot-pie or meat pie

Last edited:
Yes and she has never mentioned they brought food has she?

It seems like she would be singing that from the roof tops if they had imo
Depending on whether the poisoned victims were able to give an account, there may be no other witness statements to counter hers at the moment. I don't know if she has said they did or not.

Yes and she has never mentioned they brought food has she?

It seems like she would be singing that from the roof tops if they had imo

True enough but we don't know what she's saying to detectives, or not.

If she's really done this, I wonder if she's got enough money / resources to disappear herself. After all, if she's quite literally plotted to kill several people, she must have had a 'plan' and I'm sure that plan wasn't to sit around at home whiling away the hours until she was detained.

Also really depends on what type of person she is in general, whether she's a genius type thinker who is well able to predict how events will unfold and make a cunning plan taking into account her knowledge of poisons, forensics, biology, and how medics and the police work. Or whether she's a bit simple in the head and had a daft as a brush idea to poison people assuming no-one will ever know it was her.

When I was little, my parents were finishing the basement and let me and my siblings draw on the plywood behind the studs. They thought it would be fun to let us do that and it didn’t matter much since it would get drywall put over it. It may be that they were getting the wall painted already, maybe the daughter is very artistic and they said she could draw whatever she wanted on the wall before it was painted over. I can imagine having a huge canvas like that would be so fun for anyone to draw on!

EDIT: and as far as the subject matter, I have an 11 yr old and 12 yr old and they sure find it funny to do harmless things for shock value haha

JMO
Well the house was sold with the wall written on. So seems unlikely that an adult would encourage children drawing on the walls prior to sale of the house.

For most people, it would be considered very rude to turn up for a lunch / dinner at someone's home and not bring a little something to contribute whether that be by way of dessert, drinks, sweets, or a little gift.
As far as I can tell this was supposed to have been some sort of an intervention, not a dinner just for the fun of it.

The handyman thought it was weird enough that he took and saved a photo of it.

I find it very odd that kids would write all of that on a dining room wall. In my cases, a small drawing of stuff like this, on a single piece of paper, is used as evidence (or analyzed by professionals) as a sign of anguish or disturbance, anxiety, depression, in kids going through issues.

Teens going through a macabre phase and creating art for their bedroom walls is different, IMO.

But this appears to be the work of a younger child. The location, size and subject matter make it strange to me.

I think whoever drew that was going through something at the time. Kids who can spell and reach that high know they’re not supposed to write on the walls. This isn’t the work of a three-five year old.
Have to say this is my opinion too.

It makes no sense to kill them either though the internet is wild speculating.
She was wealthy in her own right, had nothing materially to gain from their deaths.

Bear in mind that LE has released almost no information.
We don't even have official confirmation that deathcaps were the causative agent.
We have no idea what else they consumed only that the guests contributed to the meal and brought dishes too.

I disagree that she had nothing to gain if she had a plan for the future to get rid of ex-hubby and children. Money would then funnel down to her. I said previously that children could have been in grandparent's wills too so maybe their college-funds end up paid for even with ex-hubby still alive. She could profit IMO.

Depending on whether the poisoned victims were able to give an account, there may be no other witness statements to counter hers at the moment. I don't know if she has said they did or not.
If I were her lawyer, I'd tell her not to talk (that's always good advice but particularly because she keeps lying). Anything she says may be contradicted by anything Ian might say. MOO

True enough but we don't know what she's saying to detectives, or not.

If she's really done this, I wonder if she's got enough money / resources to disappear herself. After all, if she's quite literally plotted to kill several people, she must have had a 'plan' and I'm sure that plan wasn't to sit around at home whiling away the hours until she was detained.

Also really depends on what type of person she is in general, whether she's a genius type thinker who is well able to predict how events will unfold and make a cunning plan taking into account her knowledge of poisons, forensics, biology, and how medics and the police work. Or whether she's a bit simple in the head and had a daft as a brush idea to poison people assuming no-one will ever know it was her.
Hard to believe she is a genius type thinker when she already admitted lying to the police.

yep just noticed that some of it looks like it was written by an adult

Well one kid must be incredibly tall as for a 10 year old the top writing is quite high and neat unless she was the one writing some of it.

ETA - guessing the rough age as this was a year ago. The 7/8 year didn’t write that high imo

Moo

With Regard to the wall scribbling and pictures, I think this is possible to have occurred during the Victorian lockdowns in the response to the Covid pandemic, in which school children were learning from home for many months….often at the kitchen dining table.

News.com.au reported that one of the ambulance workers who responded to the tragedy alerted police after hearing the dying words of one victim. They reported the guest’s last whispers were so alarming that they felt obliged to pass them on to investigators. However their exact words have not been made public.
This is intriguing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member