Australia - 3 dead after eating wild mushrooms, Leongatha, Victoria, Aug 2023 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
How does everyone feel about how quiet LE has been recently. No arrests, no statements saying that Erin is no longer a suspect.

Is it possible that she has managed to muddy the evidence and stories enough that a conviction on what they have is unlikely?

If there are no mushroom spores on the dehydrator, where does that leave police?

Could there be another suspect?
I suspect that LE is getting all their ducks in a row, so to speak. It could be waiting for toxicology results, it could be finding more physical evidence to warrant an arrest, it could be all manner of things. No doubt we, the public, will be updated when an arrest happens. I wonder if more updates will be shared next week. The silence is deafening, but I don't necessarily see it as them not viewing EP as a suspect. I just see it as more evidence gathering before the metaphorical storm. All JMO

How does everyone feel about how quiet LE has been recently. No arrests, no statements saying that Erin is no longer a suspect.

Is it possible that she has managed to muddy the evidence and stories enough that a conviction on what they have is unlikely?

If there are no mushroom spores on the dehydrator, where does that leave police?

Building a case for court is my thinking, usually they go quiet when they no longer need the public's input. Getting the file together, probably waiting for her remaining victim to be well enough to make a statement, getting the forensics back on the dehydrator .. testing the pathology samples from all victims and SP's mystery illness.

Wondering if they need to exhume mum ..

Building a case for court is my thinking, usually they go quiet when they no longer need the public's input. Getting the file together, probably waiting for her remaining victim to be well enough to make a statement, getting the forensics back on the dehydrator .. testing the pathology samples from all victims and SP's mystery illness.

Wondering if they need to exhume mum ..
What an awful thought :confused:

Well. Three guests out of four dying after a family dinner still strongly points at poisoning.

I am wondering if the poisoner was much smarter than we think, though, and used a totally different product - and maybe, a different vehicle.

Imagine EP thinking far ahead. Simon, stating that she might have poisoned his parents, was looking at possible explanations.

But what if the mushrooms were not poisonous?

Then, Erin's response was the brushstroke of a genius. She grabs the innocent dehydrator, dumps it into the landfill, et voilà! - everyone's attention is drawn to beef Wellington.

IRL, any poison (what's used in Australia for local rodents?) can be easily added to alcohol. This is something even good pastor would help himself to, but this is also what kids won't drink, even if they stay at home. And, Erin might be a non-drinking person, too. What do people drink with Beef Wellington? Red wine or whiskey?

So if the vehicle for poison was another food/drink (we have to go through whole menu, including ice cream), a bottle might be thrown away, or even still in the house. So much attention was paid to the mushrooms, what was scratched off, who ate what, where did she buy them, that the real poison might be totally obscured.

Last edited:
Well. Three guests out of four dying after a family dinner still strongly points at poisoning.

I am wondering if the poisoner was much smarter than we think, though, and used a totally different product - and maybe, a different vehicle.

Imagine EP thinking far ahead. Simon, stating that she might have poisoned his parents, was looking at a possible explanation.

But what if the mushrooms were not poisonous?

Then, Erin's response was the brushstroke of a genius. She grabs the innocent dehydrator, dumps it into the landfill, et voilà! - everyone's attention is drawn to beef Wellington.

IRL, any poison (what's used in Australia for local rodents?) can be easily added to alcohol. This is something even good pastor would help himself to, but this is precisely kids won't drink, even if they stay at home. And - Erin might be a non-drinking person, too. What do people drink with Beef Wellington? Red wine or whiskey?

So if the vehicle for poison was another food/drink (we have to go through whole menu, including ice cream), a bottle might be thrown away, or even still in the house. So much attention was paid to mushrooms, what was scratched off, who ate what, where did she buy them, that the real poison might be totally obscured.
The symptoms and liver failure suffered by the victims is textbook death cap mushroom poisoning.

I think that there could be another suspect - actually I think that there IS another suspect. (MOO)

LE are playing their cards close to their chest - which is an entirely appropriate and prudent modus operandi.

LE exists in order to keep the community safe, not necessarily to provide further information when it is discovered, for the general public's consumption (although this is often appropriate, depending on the circumstances.)

LE's goal IMO in this case would be to establish whether or not a crime has actually been committed.
If investigations indicate that a crime has been committed, their aim would be to conduct further investigations in order to establish the identity of the perpetrator, along the way, gathering sufficient evidence in order to make an arrest and support successful prosecution.

If there is/are other suspect(s), LE may, or may not necessarily wish to reveal this, for various reasons.
Just one example: they may not want to alert a suspect that they are under scrutiny. (While the "heat" is on a particular person, another suspect (if they are the perpetrator) may let their guard down.

IMO the real story behind this case is much more complex than it seems, and not at all obvious.
FWIW JMO

The symptoms and liver failure suffered by the victims is textbook death cap mushroom poisoning.

We are not privy to the whole medical charts. Yes, liver and kidneys. But essentially, anything that is edible passes through the liver and may damage it. Also, what were complaints and symptoms, sweating, paresthesias, wide or narrow pupils? I think the victims must have collapsed and died before full gamut of symptoms developed. JMO. Anyhow, hope the pathologists have samples of different organs. I am always thinking, mineral poisons, first, but there is such a huge list. Poisonous mushrooms are convenient because they taste like edible ones. But lots of mineral poisons are barely moticeable.

We are not privy to the whole medical charts. Yes, liver and kidneys. But essentially, anything that is edible passes through the liver and may damage it. Also, what were complaints and symptoms, sweating, paresthesias, wide or narrow pupils? I think the victims must have collapsed and died before full gamut of symptoms developed. JMO. Anyhow, hope the pathologists have samples of different organs. I am always thinking, mineral poisons, first, but there is such a huge list. Poisonous mushrooms are convenient because they taste like edible ones. But lots of mineral poisons are barely moticeable.
We may have a slanted version of the medical situation.

But: the victims survived a week, or nearly. And part of what distinguishes death cap poisoning is the timing of the symptoms. It's not just a checklist.

I still believe it to be Mushrooms when why she made a dish like Beef wellington so it could be hidden and disguised in the puff pastry.

Also then why she made such a ridiculous claim like she fed it to her kids the next day and she scraped off the mushrooms first.

I think that there could be another suspect - actually I think that there IS another suspect. (MOO)

LE are playing their cards close to their chest - which is an entirely appropriate and prudent modus operandi.

LE exists in order to keep the community safe, not necessarily to provide further information when it is discovered, for the general public's consumption (although this is often appropriate, depending on the circumstances.)

LE's goal IMO in this case would be to establish whether or not a crime has actually been committed.
If investigations indicate that a crime has been committed, their aim would be to conduct further investigations in order to establish the identity of the perpetrator, along the way, gathering sufficient evidence in order to make an arrest and support successful prosecution.

If there is/are other suspect(s), LE may, or may not necessarily wish to reveal this, for various reasons.
Just one example: they may not want to alert a suspect that they are under scrutiny. (While the "heat" is on a particular person, another suspect (if they are the perpetrator) may let their guard down.

IMO the real story behind this case is much more complex than it seems, and not at all obvious.
FWIW JMO

I think this situation could be solvable if we were allowed to do what we are not usually allowed to do here.

Look at all people involved, and figure out what each one's ultimate goal is. Who profits from what outcome of EP and SP's marriage.

Do it for all the people on the "tree" constantly published by the media.

Then look at people around them - did S have brothers and sisters? Did the aunt have kids? Try the same. Goals/interests. What did they want as the outcome of the SP and EP's family situation?

Same for EP's sibling.

And then, since EP and SP are not too young, is it reasonable to assume that there were, maybe are, some people in their lives before they met? What would they wish as the ideal outcome for EP/SP's marriage?

I think if it is done, we could see who was interested in this very outcome, and why? And then we can see who had the means.
People are paying attention to church, to unicorns, to kiddo drawings. This is a mere icing on the cake. The "poisoning" was a planned murder. And I personally think that it had to do with the money more than the passion. Or, if the perpetrator is not EP, maybe both money and passion. But we are not allowed to follow the families, right?

So JMO: more likely, EP, and probably, mushrooms are red herring

But, if not EP, the person plans many steps ahead, knows the habits of each guest.

it seems like a massive reach to suggest EP isn’t involved as she was the chief.

Are we meant to believe somebody is framing her and broke into her house and messed with her Beef Wellington and if that’s the case explain these inconsistencies.

1) Why then can she not remember where she brought the mushrooms?

2) Why did she thrown away evidence ?

3) how did she manage to be absolutely fine when 4 other guests ended up either dead or critically ill in hospital?

Oh wow. That seems to me like kind of a long time after a death cap Mushroom poisoning?

IMO
No, it’s quite normal for death cap mushroom poisoning.

“The symptoms of death cap mushroom poisoning include low blood pressure, nausea and vomiting (which begins 8 to 12 hours after ingestion). After up to 24 hours have passed, the symptoms seem to disappear and you might feel fine for up to 72 hours. Symptoms of liver and kidney damage start 3 to 6 days after the mushrooms were eaten.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Patturelli