Australia - 3 dead after eating wild mushrooms, Leongatha, Victoria, Aug 2023 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
So, since the Asian mushrooms were already DRIED, the they did not need to go in the food dehydrator which she dumped.

It’s the supermarket button mushrooms?
OR
Perhaps she is genius and the poison was in the drinks and she’s diverting attention to mushrooms, neither of which are poisonous.
I think the poison being in another part of the meal is far more likely than either of the stores selling DCs. Or there were three types of mushroom and she has only mentioned purchasing two. MOO.

I think the poison being in another part of the meal is far more likely than either of the stores selling DCs. Or there were three types of mushroom and she has only mentioned purchasing two. MOO.
Source, Insight with Liz Hayes (9 Network)….

There have been 0 cases of any stores in Australia selling death cap mushrooms.

Zero.

So, since the Asian mushrooms were already DRIED, the they did not need to go in the food dehydrator which she dumped.
If true, then she could be lying about purchasing mushrooms from an Asian market. Lying it seems, is something she does. Maybe she found DC in the field and dried them in her dehydrator.
It’s the supermarket button mushrooms?
OR
Perhaps she is genius and the poison was in the drinks and she’s diverting attention to mushrooms, neither of which are poisonous.
Why change the type of mushroom that poisoned the guests from the DC we've been told? The Police listed Death Cap mushrooms as the most likely cause of the tragic deaths of three people and severe illness for Ian.

She may be genius. She smartly hired a lawyer right away and hasn't spoken to the Police except via her attorney. Erin publicly expressed remorse over the deaths when the press caught up with her in the driveway at home.

Do the Australians lose custody of their children easily? Why did authorities remove them from the home? It must be terrifying to not be able to live in their own home after their Grandparents died suddenly. If Erin becomes formally charged with a crime, it'll mess with their little heads and hearts for a lifetime.

BEEF WELLINGTON Ingredients​

• 150g chestnut mushrooms, roughly chopped
  • 5g dried wild mushrooms, soaked for 20 minutes in cold water, then drained
  • 1 tbsp chopped fresh thyme
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 2 x 150g fillet or rump steaks, 2-3cm thick
  • 300g puff pastry
  • 50g chicken liver pâté (we like Castle MacLellan)
  • 1 medium free-range egg, beaten

Method​

1. Preheat the oven to 220°C/fan200°C/gas 7. In a pan, cook the mushrooms and thyme in the olive oil over a medium heat for 5-10 minutes until golden and dry-ish. Season and leave to cool slightly.
  2. Roll the pastry to 0.5cm thick, then cut into 2 x 40cm x 25cm rectangles. For each parcel, arrange half the mushrooms in a steak-size rectangle across the centre of the pastry. Smooth half the pâté over one side of a steak and place, pâté-side down, on the mushrooms. Season. Brush the exposed pastry with some beaten egg, then take the short sides and fold tightly over the steak and over one another. Trim and discard any pastry that extends beyond the parcel and crimp the open sides to seal. Turn over, brush all over with the remaining egg, then chill for 10 minutes.
  3. Bake for 12 minutes for medium rare, or longer if you like. Rest for 5 minutes, then serve.

This is the first recipe I've seen where they tell you to use two types of mushrooms as EP said she used. What is the point of using two types?

Last edited:
It’s the perfect dish to poison somebody with as the mushrooms are completely hidden and we know she used plenty of mushrooms.

Do they not taste differently due to how Toxic they are?

Last edited:

BEEF WELLINGTON Ingredients​

• 1 tbsp chopped fresh thyme
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 2 x 150g fillet or rump steaks, 2-3cm thick
  • 300g puff pastry
  • 50g chicken liver pâté (we like Castle MacLellan)
  • 1 medium free-range egg, beaten

Method​

1. Preheat the oven to 220°C/fan200°C/gas 7. In a pan, cook the mushrooms and thyme in the olive oil over a medium heat for 5-10 minutes until golden and dry-ish. Season and leave to cool slightly.
  2. Roll the pastry to 0.5cm thick, then cut into 2 x 40cm x 25cm rectangles. For each parcel, arrange half the mushrooms in a steak-size rectangle across the centre of the pastry. Smooth half the pâté over one side of a steak and place, pâté-side down, on the mushrooms. Season. Brush the exposed pastry with some beaten egg, then take the short sides and fold tightly over the steak and over one another. Trim and discard any pastry that extends beyond the parcel and crimp the open sides to seal. Turn over, brush all over with the remaining egg, then chill for 10 minutes.
  3. Bake for 12 minutes for medium rare, or longer if you like. Rest for 5 minutes, then serve.

This is the first recipe I've seen where they tell you to use two types of mushrooms as EP said she used. What is the point of using two types?
Maybe she was just being really faithful to the recipe?

I have wondered if EP was into fantasy/apothecary type stuff. I hesitate to say witchcraft because that word means different things to different people and many would associate it with evil or doing harm which isn’t necessarily the intent.

I have no idea if collecting death cap mushrooms is ever something someone would do if that was their hobby or interest. Probably not? Maybe?
maybe dabbling with white magic or earth magic and plant healing, wicca etc?

RSBM

Do the Australians lose custody of their children easily? Why did authorities remove them from the home? It must be terrifying to not be able to live in their own home after their Grandparents died suddenly. If Erin becomes formally charged with a crime, it'll mess with their little heads and hearts for a lifetime.

I can see the authorities removing the children as a precaution, as their mother is being treated as a suspect in a family poisoning. Pretty sure they would be in kincare, staying with another family member, perhaps their dad. imo

What is more unusual is that the police have named EP as a 'suspect'. It would be far more usual for Aussie police to call her a POI (if anything) while investigating. POI and Suspect have different meanings here. (ETA: Suspect has a stronger meaning here.)

Police say those children have been removed from her care as a “precaution”.

“The 48-year-old is [a suspect] because she cooked those meals for those present. She hasn’t presented with any symptoms,” Homicide Squad Detective Inspector Dean Thomas said.

Claims Erin Patterson tried to poison ex-husband in 2022

a.jpg

Last edited:
I know a lot of edible mushrooms. And none of them have a nearly identical toxic counterpart. Death cap has a specific look to it.
Hear hear. Mushrooms are getting a really bad rep here. Statistically, in the UK at least (where I live), you're more likely to poison or kill yourself by choosing a plant at random and eating it than by choosing a mushroom at random and doing the same.

Don't understand why that remark means she was at the dump the day before the lunch?
@jepop I've seen nothing suggesting she got rid of the dehydrator before the group lunch, just that on whatever day she discarded it, it was in the morning (ie "before lunch").

I think she got rid of it a day or two after the lunch, obviously at some point when she herself wasn't in the hospital, either before she went or after she was released.

MOO

Also she went to the rubbish dump on the Saturday. I think they said in the morning before the lunch. The investigator said he only found that out because one of their employees slipped up and said he wasn't working on the Saturday!

From the show "under Investigation" Channel 9
Could you clarify this if possible?

@jepop I've seen nothing suggesting she got rid of the dehydrator before the group lunch, just that on whatever day she discarded it, it was in the morning (ie "before lunch").

I think she got rid of it a day or two after the lunch, obviously at some point when she herself wasn't in the hospital, either before she went or after she was released.

MOO
Thank you Auntie Cipation. I'm not thinking of the dehydrator, just trying to clear up some suggestion or other that EP was at the dump (sans dehydrator I assume) the Saturday before the lunch. It may be nothing - was mentioned that this assertion/possibility was aired on a recent television analysis of the case. Haven't been able to make heads or tails of it. Moo

ETA: apparently this comes from "Under Investigation" - may just be nothing.

Thank you Auntie Cipation. I'm not thinking of the dehydrator, just trying to clear up some suggestion or other that EP was at the dump (sans dehydrator I assume) the Saturday before the lunch. It may be nothing - was mentioned that this assertion/possibility was aired on a recent television analysis of the case. Haven't been able to make heads or tails of it. Moo

ETA: apparently this comes from "Under Investigation" - may just be nothing.

The episode of Under Investigation is here. They have put it up on their website.
It can be accessed by signing up for a free account. I am not sure if it works for overseas people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper