Australia - 3 dead after eating wild mushrooms, Leongatha, Victoria, Aug 2023 #4

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am leaning towards the cook being guilty.

I think she originally planned to kill her ex and his family. I know people say she had no motive--but I think that is something we might not understand, unless we had gone through a divorce.

There is an often a lot of anger, resentment and toxic energy brewing during a divorce. Especially with children involved. Maybe she wanted to be rid of her ex and his family and to start a new life with the kids, with no interference?

Then her ex cancelled and for some odd reason she went ahead with it?

That part puzzles me. But I don't see any other credible explanations for those poisonous mushrooms being in the meals that she cooked.

She fed the mushrooms to her ex-in-laws , but not to her kids or herself? I think that makes it less likely that she was 'set up' by someone. JMO

also I've mentioned this before but there is possible financial motive, if her kids inherit from their grandparents and then the kids inexplicably die - or they live but that's less money she has to spend on them if they have their own college fund etc.

I've suggested the possible scenario of an unknown person tampering with food to "murder" or "frame" Erin. Hence there is reasonable doubt about her guilt. For a prosecution to succeed, the police would need to find some really damning evidence like something noted in her own handwriting.
Or IF they find out her ex was poisoned in the past, and/or if they find out she had reasons to be angry or upset about her in-laws for some reason. JMO

Then that is not technically 'framing' her, if they tampered hoping she would eat them herself. That is more like murder.

But who would do so, besides someone who also loved the children? How could they knew the poison wouldn't end up on the kid's plates as well?

My kids didn't like mushrooms that much either, but if I made spaghetti sauce, or homemade pizza, I'd throw in chopped up mushrooms and they'd get eaten with the sauce.
Suppose there was a good chance of her reuniting with her husband, there might be another partner on her side who objected to that happening, had access to her kitchen and didn't care much about the kids.

he didn't bring it up - she was talking with her children and mentioned it and he overheard then made the poisoning comment
But why would he make the connection?

If SP made the comment at all, I am guessing that the dehydrator had already been dumped and the children asked why. And that's where SP came into the conversation.

Suppose there was a good chance of her reuniting with her husband, there might be another partner on her side who objected to that happening, had access to her kitchen and didn't care much about the kids.
I think LE would know about that, if so. We haven't heard about her having a new love. I tend to doubt it.

It seems to me that the kids not being present at the meal may well indicate that the perpetrator was someone who loves them. Which of course no doubt includes every single adult in this case.l
But the kids mom was the only one that made the decision and the plan, that day, for her kids to be somewhere else. IMO

Or, maybe she did feed the kids the meal knowing that it was poisoned. There are parents, usually men, who kill their children to punish their escaped spouse.
But her kids never got sick, apparently. If they had eaten the food they likely would have since they are smaller and more vulnerable.

They were not at the lunch that day. I doubt they were given leftover beef wellington when they returned that night. JMO

It seems to me that the kids not being present at the meal may well indicate that the perpetrator was someone who loves them. Which of course no doubt includes every single adult in this case.l
I'm seeing the construction "prior to" a lot.

Contrary to initial reports from police, who said Ms Patterson's children were present but did not eat the meal, Ms Patterson said the children had actually gone to the movies prior to lunch.
. . .
Ms Patterson said her estranged husband intended joining the fatal lunch but told her "prior to the day" that he would not be attending.

Why so vague? It might have been a 10:15am movie start and the kids were back before lunch.

I'm seeing the construction "prior to" a lot.

Contrary to initial reports from police, who said Ms Patterson's children were present but did not eat the meal, Ms Patterson said the children had actually gone to the movies prior to lunch.
. . .
Ms Patterson said her estranged husband intended joining the fatal lunch but told her "prior to the day" that he would not be attending.

Why so vague? It might have been a 10:15am movie start and the kids were back before lunch.
Why would you send your kids to the movies when their grandparents and great Aunt were coming to their home for lunch?

That makes no sense to me. I know my in-laws came to our house to see their grandkids, not really about visiting me. I can't imagine sending the kids to the movies right before their grandparents came over for lunch. It's very strange.

If SP had felt that EP was involved in his unfortunate health issues and suspected she tried to poison him.

Maybe he was retaliating by secretly planting dried tainted mushrooms for her consumption only - not thinking that EP would unsuspectingly use them in the dish to serve his parents and relatives. MOO

I am not sure SP is a gambler. Leaving poison in the house exposes everyone living there, EP, kids, quests, as we see. Isn’t it scary, if you accidentally poison someone else, you might get prosecuted, and these were not even your intended victims?

Plus, most people can weigh risks/benefits and think, isn’t it cheaper to go via legal routes?

I can see two situations when planting into EP’s house can happen:

1) ironically, if a container with something suspicious was left by EP in another house. The recipient doesn’t know what it is, but is suspicious. And probably, angry. They move it to another container/package and leave in EP’s house. No one knows what it is, it is just being returned! If the suspect gets a spoonful of own medicine, case proven. The person returning it is not guilty as they are not sure what it is.

2) the second one - the ability to plan develops at a certain age. Maybe the person can’t plan well.

Last edited:
I just keep going back to Occam's Razor. All the speculation about other possible suspects and motives is just too complicated IMO. If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's a duck IMO.
It does not look like a duck, a chicken or a crow right now. It doesn't even look like beef wellington, in fact.'
It looks like nothing.

This is due to the absence of facts.

If SP had felt that EP was involved in his unfortunate health issues and suspected she tried to poison him.

Maybe he was retaliating by secretly planting dried tainted mushrooms for her consumption only - not thinking that EP would unsuspectingly use them in the dish to serve his parents and relatives. MOO
True, but I assume he knew his parents and Auntie were headed there for lunch. If so, and if he had given her tainted mushrooms, then maybe he didn't care if they all died?

But what about his kids? People use chopped mushrooms in all kinds of kid friendly foods---cheese omelettes, spaghetti sauce, etc etc...How could he know she wouldn't sneak some mushrooms into the dinner soup or casserole and kill the children?

That would be a very big risk, if you loved your kids.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MairinAmaliah