Australia - 3 dead after eating wild mushrooms, Leongatha, Victoria, Aug 2023 #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Would that unknown person , upon declining an invitation, know that other family members were going there to eat lunch? Did that person want the others to possibly eat the tainted food too?
How would you warn them it wasn't safe to eat there without giving away what you had done?
If you didn't admit it, would they believe your warning?

Another possibility could be you tampered with food at one house (perhaps if there was a greater chance of EP being the only target at that location) and thought the meal at another house would not be affected by it, but there was a different reason you declined to attend.

Patterson recently spoke out to deny leaking her earlier statement to police and hit out at media coverage of the case.

I lost my parents-in-law, my children lost their grandparents. And I’ve been painted as an evil witch,” Patterson told the Australian.

“And the media is making it impossible for me to live in this town. I can’t have friends over.

“The media is at the house where my children are at. The media are at my sister’s house, so I can’t go there. This is unfair.

She said she did not leak her police statement. “I didn’t put any statement out,” she told the Australian.

“I have no idea how it got out. I made a statement to the police.”

The pressure is obviously getting to her. But it does seem like she is playing the victim a bit. Not a good look, IMO.

Might have served her better to focus on the victims and their grieving loved ones, instead of herself, at this point?

"It's so unfair, I can't have friends over." ...that is not good PR....

How would you warn them it wasn't safe to eat there without giving away what you had done?
If you didn't admit it, would they believe your warning?
Since he supposedly had bouts of gastric issues, which he has publicly accused EP of causing, he could have warned them not to eat her Beef wellington.

These were his parents and Aunt and Uncle. I'd think he'd try everything to warn them if he knew they'd be in possible mortal danger.

And what about the children? Wouldn't he be worried about them? Even if they didnt eat the mushrooms and picked them out, like kids often do, I'm sure the gravy would still be toxic.
Another possibility could be you tampered with food at one house (perhaps if there was a greater chance of EP being the only target at that location) and thought the meal at another house would not be affected by it, but there was a different reason you declined to attend.

If SP had felt that EP was involved in his unfortunate health issues and suspected she tried to poison him.

Maybe he was retaliating by secretly planting dried tainted mushrooms for her consumption only - not thinking that EP would unsuspectingly use them in the dish to serve his parents and relatives. MOO
But what about his kids?

I'm seeing the construction "prior to" a lot.

Contrary to initial reports from police, who said Ms Patterson's children were present but did not eat the meal, Ms Patterson said the children had actually gone to the movies prior to lunch.
. . .
Ms Patterson said her estranged husband intended joining the fatal lunch but told her "prior to the day" that he would not be attending.

Why so vague? It might have been a 10:15am movie start and the kids were back before lunch.
Saw at the Stadium Cinema the Sat movie began at 10:55am but that time may vary.

From your link:

As her guests fell critically ill, Ms Patterson said she was contacted by the Department of Health and asked what might have caused the violent reaction to the meal.

She said she preserved what was left of the lunch and gave it to hospital toxicologists for examination. She said she told investigators from the department where she had bought the mushrooms – although was unable to identify the specific shop in Melbourne where she bought the dried fungi.

Ms Patterson said officials from the Department later sent her photographs of packs of mushrooms with hand-written labels, similar to those she described to them.

Why would you send your kids to the movies when their grandparents and great Aunt were coming to their home for lunch?

That makes no sense to me. I know my in-laws came to our house to see their grandkids, not really about visiting me. I can't imagine sending the kids to the movies right before their grandparents came over for lunch. It's very strange.

It was reported early on that the lunch was a mediation. That EP wanted to get back with her husband, but her husband didn't want that.

It was also reported in the Under Investigation show (by the PI) that ..... "There’s problems in the family. A lot of people (members of the Baptist church) said that Simon’s parents weren’t happy about a reconciliation"

The Pattersons apparently were concerned about EP's mental health. Wanted to make sure she was okay. The Wilkinsons (with Ian Wilkinson being a pastor) also attended to mediate.

The articles about it say that this info comes from a friend of Simon's.

It is possible that no-one wanted the children there for that. (Although the police say that the kids were there.)

But since then we have read that the Pattersons and Wilkinsons (but not EP) have engaged a PR person to deal with the media, so (imo) Simon's friend may be the PR person.
(Intrawork business services director Jessica O’Donnell was named as the PR person in the 3rd link below.)

Mystery swirls around mushroom chef, Erin Patterson

Erin Patterson: Breakdown of events leading up to suspected mushroom poisoning by mum of two

Details of mushroom victims’ memorial service revealed

Last edited:
She said she did not leak her police statement. “I didn’t put any statement out,” she told the Australian.

“I have no idea how it got out. I made a statement to the police.”
Oh well that’s a straight out lie on Erin’s behalf. Moo

It’s so interesting how she’s whinging about not being able to have friends over. Surely in the greater scheme of things the real tragedy is that her relatives have died and another just got by with his life after an awful ordeal.

Shouldn’t she be more outraged about that and less outraged about the unfairness of not being able to have mates over?

It’s just my opinion.

Oh, so Erin said that she drove all the way to Melbourne to purchase dried mushrooms?

That’s a long way to go for a fungus. IMO
She owns a villa there.

Ms Patterson also owns a million dollar villa she bought in the eastern Melbourne suburb of Mount Waverley with money she inherited from her mother.

Edited to add that she lost her mom 4 yrs ago. She's likely still saddened over it. Her parents died from cancer.

Last edited:
It was reported early on that the lunch was a mediation. That EP wanted to get back with her husband, but her husband didn't want that.

Very interesting. So early in this articles it says:

"Although separated from her former husband, Simon, the two maintain a relationship for the sake of their children, who have not been named.

At first, therefore, there seemed to be nothing unusual in Ms Patterson inviting Simon’s parents, Gail and Don Patterson, both 70, over for a convivial Saturday lunch with their grandchildren.

Thus, on July 29, Gail and Don drove round to Patterson’s home to see their two grandchildren and enjoy a hearty beef wellington — garnished with mushrooms.

They were joined by Gail’s sister and her husband, Heather and Ian Wilkinson, 66 and 68 respectively.

It appeared to be a social Saturday like any other, and after lunch the four elderly guests headed home."

But later in the same article, it says it was really a mediation. So it does make sense why the kids wouldn't be at the lunch.

Why didn't her ex husband go if it was a mediation? Maybe when he cancelled, she was angry and threw the mushrooms into the simmering gravy?
It was also reported in the Under Investigation show (by the PI) that ..... "There’s problems in the family. A lot of people (members of the Baptist church) said that Simon’s parents weren’t happy about a reconciliation"
That BBM ^^^ could be a motive right there?
The Pattersons apparently were concerned about EP's mental health. Wanted to make sure she was okay. The Wilkinsons (with Ian Wilkinson being a pastor) also attended to mediate.

The articles about it say that this info comes from a friend of Simon's.

It is possible that no-one wanted the children there for that.
That makes sense

(Although the police say that the kids were there.)
Is that because EP said so?
But since then we have read that the Pattersons and Wilkinsons (but not EP) have engaged a PR person to deal with the media, so (imo) the friend may be the PR person.
(Intrawork business services director Jessica O’Donnell was named as the PR person in the 3rd link below.)

Ok, if this is coming from a PR person, have to take it with large grains of salt. Maybe EP just thought they were coming for lunch, to try and get along better. But maybe they were doing kind of an intervention, planning to break the news to her that Simon wasn't interested?

Since he supposedly had bouts of gastric issues, which he has publicly accused EP of causing, he could have warned them not to eat her Beef wellington.

These were his parents and Aunt and Uncle. I'd think he'd try everything to warn them if he knew they'd be in possible mortal danger.
Yes, but, if (all of this is JMO obviously) you tell someone they can't eat at another person's house because you have planted poison in their kitchen with the intention of harming that person, you cannot assume they will cover for you and lie about why they are not attending. They would warn your target to throw out their ingredients at the very least. Your target may involve the police and if your poison is discovered, you then have a lot of questions to answer.

So you obviously can't tell them the real reason why you don't want them to go. You can tell them you don't think the target's cooking is safe, but they may not take that seriously. After all, you're divorcing, you don't like her, we get it, but she feeds the children every day.

If it was him then MOO he didn't realise the ingredients were to be used in that meal and not attending is a coincidence.

RSBM

Is that because EP said so?

No, EP says the kids weren't there ... "had left prior to go to the movies".

The police say the kids were there.

Maybe both are true. That the kids saw their grandparents before or after the movie.
That could have been arranged, if the grandparents and EP wanted to talk privately but also wanted the kids to see the grandparents.

Why would you send your kids to the movies when their grandparents and great Aunt were coming to their home for lunch?

That makes no sense to me. I know my in-laws came to our house to see their grandkids, not really about visiting me. I can't imagine sending the kids to the movies right before their grandparents came over for lunch. It's very strange.
But it is not you and it is not your grandkids. Plenty of families do stuff like that.
It's a really odd argument that someone elses family in another country with, mind you, divorced parents and unclear reason for the meeting must function like your family dinner at home.
But what about his kids? People use chopped mushrooms in all kinds of kid friendly foods---cheese omelettes, spaghetti sauce, etc etc...How could he know she wouldn't sneak some mushrooms into the dinner soup or casserole and kill the children?

That would be a very big risk, if you loved your kids.
Many people take big risks, many people don't love their kids and most people who don't eat mushrooms do not get random mushrooms sneaked into their dish anyways (I'd hope at least).

The mainstream idea about what happened is quite likely. However, for now I am keeping my mind open for two reasons:
1) All theories, even the most popular one, do not make sense. Whatever story is correct is going to be illogical anyways.
2) If there is someone else involved (and even if it was an accident), I would not want to participate in stoning this woman. For example, I know of victims of domestic abuse who get painted as the real problem by their partners. These cases are not all like Gabby, where they are young, hot, likeable and easy to sympathize with - in most cases these victims are somewhat of a mess themselves and past the age of looking like an Insta model.

No, EP says the kids weren't there ... "had left prior to go to the movies".

The police say the kids were there.

Maybe both are true. That the kids saw their grandparents before or after the movie.
That could have been arranged, if the grandparents and EP wanted to talk privately but also wanted the kids to see the grandparents.
True. If it was a 10:30 am movie, the kids would probably be ready to be picked up after the adults finished lunch.

Maybe they had a quick visit after lunch.

I wonder why the ex pulled out of the lunch invitation, if it was supposed to be a mediation? I guess he had no interest, so it was going to be more of an intervention than a mediation?

Maybe that triggered her to go ahead and drop in the extra mushroom stash?

But it is not you and it is not your grandkids. Plenty of families do stuff like that.
It's a really odd argument that someone elses family in another country with, mind you, divorced parents and unclear reason for the meeting must function like your family dinner at home.

I don't think it is that unusual, no matter what country you are in, that visiting grandparents would want to see their young grandchildren if they are visiting the home. Divorced or not.

If it was a mediation, that answers the question. I was questioning it because it made no sense that if it was supposed to be a family lunch visit, that the kids would be excluded. But a mediation/intervention makes sense.
Many people take big risks,
True...
many people don't love their kids
I don't think there are that many people who don't love their kids...
and most people who don't eat mushrooms do not get random mushrooms sneaked into their dish anyways (I'd hope at least).
People, yes, but children, IDK. Sneaking them foods they don't know they might like is a pretty regular way to teach them new tastes. I don't see it as a problem.
The mainstream idea about what happened is quite likely. However, for now I am keeping my mind open for two reasons:
1) All theories, even the most popular one, do not make sense. Whatever story is correct is going to be illogical anyways.
2) If there is someone else involved (and even if it was an accident), I would not want to participate in stoning this woman. For example, I know of victims of domestic abuse who get painted as the real problem by their partners. These cases are not all like Gabby, where they are young, hot, likeable and easy to sympathize with - in most cases these victims are somewhat of a mess themselves and past the age of looking like an Insta model.
I don't think anyone is stoning her. This is a true crime discussion forum ---this is a high profile case being discussed all over the world because it is baffling.
I am not sure why the discussion about her looks at this point though.

Mediation lunch regarding marriage/separation - kids should not be there. Smart to send to cinema.
Husband should be there unless his view is: it’s over, I want divorce. And, because he is so tired of EP and talking about divorce that he refuses to go the lunch couple of days before. He has no interest in seeing her at all.
He leaves it to his his parents and Pastor to “be there” for EP and maybe reassure her.
EP on the other hand, now understands it’s not a reconciliation lunch she is preparing which will help her win back husband and help the others see that he should get back with her because she has nice new house, makes nice lunch and of course marriage is forever.
Now it’s sympathy lunch with her in-laws, and SP won’t attend. Big insult and very upsetting to realise it’s over and she still expected to be nice and make this meal when she just wants to explode with anger at the rejection.
Rage feelings and she gathers a few extra special mushrooms and dries them to reduce their size and make easier to handle puts a heavy dose of rage and spite into the sauce/gravy.
She will let the guests choose and serve themselves, so they are making the life /death decision themselves. Choose gravy, you have sealed your own fate. Not EP choice or action, they did it themselves, it’s in God’s hands. Etc.
Further,
I have noticed that she is 49, and quite possibly suffering from hormone related mental health symptoms at this age. Some very few women suffer from severe symptoms of rage, depression & psychosis. I lost a dear friend at 50 taking her own life after some months of very dark moods and odd behavior. It not an excuse, but could be a factor.

Big insult and very upsetting to realise it’s over and she still expected to be nice and make this meal when she just wants to explode with anger at the rejection.
Rage feelings and she gathers a few extra special mushrooms and dries them to reduce their size and make easier to handle puts a heavy dose of rage and spite into the sauce/gravy.
She will let the guests choose and serve themselves, so they are making the life /death decision themselves. Choose gravy, you have sealed your own fate. Not EP choice or action, they did it themselves, it’s in God’s hands. Etc.
Your hypothesis is really well articulated.

Well done. Great read.

“Veteran crime writer John Silvester, who has authored a number of best-selling books on crime in Melbourne, said he found one key element of the tragedy “slightly curious”.
“We’ve got the dehydrator from the house that was apparently found in the tip,” he told 3AW radio.

“It’s been reported the dehydrator was disposed of the day after the luncheon, which is slightly curious because the people had just presented to hospital with gastro-like symptoms.”

This timing is not necessary a known fact, at this point, but would call into question the reliability of EP’s version of events that she disposed of it after SP supposedly asked her about using it to poison his parents.
Absolutely. When is the time for EP, SP and the children to be together? When EP was getting hydrated (IRONIC) in hospital? SP's family members were gravely ill at that point; isn't it more likely he'd be with them? If the dehydrator was thrown out the day after the luncheon, that would have to be after she'd been treated and sent home, if the convo with SP in front of the children happened in hospital. It really is difficult to follow and yes, I very much question EP's reliability on everything she's said.

The unknown framer was primarily targeting Erin, but may have known that the children don't eat mushrooms and would be spared. If he or she knew that Erin is a loner then other victims wouldn't be expected, just collateral damage.

If the unknown framer was someone close to the family, then he or she would decline any invitation to eat in Erin's house.

I imagine EP could have told her guests she was intending to make Beef Wellington well in advance. Someone could have tampered with her ingredients. It's a possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GonzoToxic