Australia - 3 dead after eating wild mushrooms, Leongatha, Victoria, Aug 2023 #5 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
IDK, imho some of the comments as written in Tita’s DMA Article were pretty spicy:

1. “Erin branded contributors to Korumburra newsletter The Burra Flyer 'illiterate motherf**kers' during a rant to an old friend.”

2. “In another message, Erin seemingly took aim at Simon himself, attacking the engineer for failing to do enough housework.”

'My husband has no idea we have a cleaner come. I love it,' Erin allegedly posted while the couple were still together.

'Now I don't resent the fact that he never helps me with anything because I'm not doing the big jobs either... now all I have to resent him over are the nightly dishes.'

3. “She's an atheist as far as I know ... She was very unhappy in her marriage and felt like a single parent. At the time I thought it was normal 'my husband isn't pulling his weight ' type commentary,' the friend stated.

'We didn't hear much about Simon other than he was never at home. Never helping her. She was very closed about this ... She left him. She didn't want to get back with him.'”

Note - I’ve not listed these comments in order of “spiciness”….

I agree with you though, it was nice to know about her interest in Lego.

To be honest, in one of her answers to the journalists on the video, she used another profanity. So, EP has a potty mouth. The trend appears on the rise, anyhow.

She is irritated with her husband. He, too, tends to criticize her online.

The fact that she is an atheist might explain the marital tension, but not the reason to be a murderess. The way secular people think, it's rather the opposite, who can take away the person's only life?

One should look for a material reason, why killing one's in-laws and maybe husband could make one's life better? Or else, EP seems to get angry when cornered, perhaps she felt the family was pressuring her too much?

Dumping the dehydrator may have been an impulsive act.

But the revelation about getting mushrooms at the Asian market wasn't. In the aftermath of the lunch she had initially told the police 'no comment'. It was a couple of weeks later in the statement she submitted through her lawyer that she claimed the mushrooms were store-bought.

IMO, whether or not she's guilty, she should have waited and seen what the forensic analysis turns up before committing herself to a particular telling of events. Submitting the statement just gives the police more opportunities to trip her up on any inconsistencies.

I think EP must have committed to her mushroom story when she was contacted by the Dept of Health, which she said was as her guests fell ill. If what she said in her written statement is true.
(I do think the Dept of Health would have been notified quickly, by the hospital, of a 'mass' poisoning.)

This is from ABC's article about their exclusive obtaining of the statement.

As her guests fell critically ill, Ms Patterson said she was contacted by the Department of Health and asked what might have caused the violent reaction to the meal.

She said she told investigators from the department where she had bought the mushrooms – although was unable to identify the specific shop in Melbourne where she bought the dried fungi.

Ms Patterson said officials from the Department later sent her photographs of packs of mushrooms with hand-written labels, similar to those she described to them.

The ABC has contacted the Department of Health.

To be honest, in one of her answers to the journalists on the video, she used another profanity. So, EP has a potty mouth. The trend appears on the rise, anyhow.

The fact that she is an atheist might explain the marital tension, but not the reason to be a murderess. The way secular people think, it's rather the opposite, who can take away the person's only life?

One should look for a material reason, why killing one's in-laws and maybe husband could make one's life better? Or else, EP seems to get angry when cornered, perhaps she felt the family was pressuring her too much?
If there was a crime and there was a motive, my guess is it was rage and it was directed at Simon.

The others were just collateral damage.

IMO
Jmo

I think there are relevant material reasons she might want to erase her ex and his family. They were separated, headed for imminent divorce. They had a few properties that needed to be divided up and that is very stressful. On top of that, there is the looming custody issues.

I really don't think she wanted to have a 50/50 custody arrangement, since she claimed that her partner 'was never home and never helped her.'

And she may have felt pressured by her in-laws, to let SP have more time with the kids. The disparity between EP being a proud atheist and her ex and his family being devoutly religious may have reared its ugly head here as well.

I feel like she maybe wanted the freedom to raise her kids the way she wanted to without the annoying interference from SP and his family. JMO

feel like she maybe wanted the freedom to raise her kids the way she wanted to without the annoying interference from SP and his family.
This makes sense to me.

But now look at the result, her kids are in care and the whole town of Leongatha seems like they kinda hate her.

I guess the moral of the story is…. Violence is never the answer, crime is never the answer, and I think some people lack the life skills to adequately problem-solve their life issues, I really do.

All moo

This makes sense to me.

But now look at the result, her kids are in care and the whole town of Leongatha seems like they kinda hate her.

I guess the moral of the story is…. Violence is never the answer, crime is never the answer, and I think some people lack the life skills to adequately problem-solve their life issues, I really do.

All moo
Yes, to that last sentence especially: " Violence is never the answer, crime is never the answer, and I think some people lack the life skills to adequately problem-solve their life issues, I really do."

So true---how many times do we scratch our heads here in this forum, trying to understand how someone could make such stupid, horrible decisions. Why not just get a divorce instead of trying to get away with murder?

Yes, to that last sentence especially: " Violence is never the answer, crime is never the answer, and I think some people lack the life skills to adequately problem-solve their life issues, I really do."

So true---how many times do we scratch our heads here in this forum, trying to understand how someone could make such stupid, horrible decisions. Why not just get a divorce instead of trying to get away with murder?
I absolutely agree!

I think there are relevant material reasons she might want to erase her ex and his family. They were separated, headed for imminent divorce. They had a few properties that needed to be divided up and that is very stressful. On top of that, there is the looming custody issues.

I really don't think she wanted to have a 50/50 custody arrangement, since she claimed that her partner 'was never home and never helped her.'

And she may have felt pressured by her in-laws, to let SP have more time with the kids. The disparity between EP being a proud atheist and her ex and his family being devoutly religious may have reared its ugly head here as well.

I feel like she maybe wanted the freedom to raise her kids the way she wanted to without the annoying interference from SP and his family. JMO
AFAIK there has been no official whatsoever, stating toxicology results definitively state that the deaths were caused by contents of the meal prepared by Erin Patterson.

It is patently obvious that the four victims had ample opportunities to eat/drink together away from EP's home, and/or also that they would have provided a contribution in the form of food or beverage for the meal in question.

Maybe EP had nothng at all to do with the victims' illnesses and deaths. That is a distinct possibility which appears to have been completely overlooked by many IMO.

JMO I can easily see conflict over the religious/non religious education of the children. Especially with SP and his family being devoutly religious.

Heck, people even argue over denominations so I can only imagine potential trouble with two strong values. I wonder if SP and EP had an arrangement in place when deciding to have kids or if EP’s views changed over the years?

EP was annoyed by the locals, she was annoyed by her husband’s lack of helping around the house: what else annoyed her I wonder?
All MOO

ETA to add link:

Last edited:
This makes sense to me.

All moo
Why do you think "the whole town of Leongatha seems like they kinda hate her".

JMO I can easily see conflict over the religious/non religious education of the children. Especially with SP and his family being devoutly religious.

Heck, people even argue over denominations so I can only imagine potential trouble with two strong values. I wonder if SP and EP had an arrangement in place when deciding to have kids or if EP’s views changed over the years?

EP was annoyed by the locals, she was annoyed by her husband’s lack of helping around the house: what else annoyed her I wonder?
All MOO

I read an older article yesterday where three residents of Korumburra told The Australian that EP and SP were at odds over their high school aged children.

One child would be in high school. The other child would be about to enter high school. (High school in Vic starts in Year 6.)

Though it would seem strange if their education was a reason for murder. Religious education is not a big thing here. My nephews attended Catholic high school (they are non-Catholic, non-religious) because the quality of education in their particular area was better at the Catholic school. They didn't whinge about it.

It may be more pricey. But I don't think it would be outside the scope of SP's salary and EP's bank account. imo

Did mushroom cook’s marriage break-up leave a bitter taste?

I read an older article yesterday where three residents of Korumburra told The Australian that EP and SP were at odds over their high school aged children.

One child would be in high school. The other child would be about to enter high school. (High school in Vic starts in Year 6.)

Though it would seem strange if their education was a reason for murder. Religious education is not a big thing here. My nephews attended Catholic high school (they are non-Catholic, non-religious) because the quality of education in their particular area was better at the Catholic school. They didn't whinge about it.

It may be more pricey. But I don't think it would be outside the scope of SP's salary and EP's bank account. imo

Did mushroom cook’s marriage break-up leave a bitter taste?
Sorry, I should have been clearer- I was thinking more along the lines of SP and his parents wanting the kids to attend church or Sunday school as opposed to actual school attendance.

Sorry, I should have been clearer- I was thinking more along the lines of SP and his parents wanting the kids to attend church or Sunday school as opposed to actual school attendance.

I had read an article some time ago (looked for the link yesterday, but I think the comment is buried in a paywalled article and I couldn't find it again) that while EP may have been not particularly religious, she didn't seem opposed to their religion. I think it was said by a parishioner.

I will keep looking for the article when I have time, to grab the exact context of the comment.

imo

Three people are deceased and a fourth in the hospital.
This happened after they consumed a meal prepared by EP.
What are the odds ?

This is a serious matter and it doesn't look (at this time) that the four were poisoned earlier or elsewhere.
Of course there are going to be questions and an investigation !
The victims deserve that at least.

Hoping for answers, for the grieving people who loved these elderly folks.
Omo.

I had read an article some time ago (looked for the link yesterday, but I think the comment is buried in a paywalled article and I couldn't find it again) that while EP may have been not particularly religious, she didn't seem opposed to their religion. I think it was said by a parishioner.

I will keep looking for the article when I have time, to grab the exact context of the comment.

imo
Thanks Aussie! My personal opinion is that conflict over custody may have been the overriding issue, based on EP saying she ditched the dehydrator because of fears of losing her kids but as we’ve seen in other cases here just about anything can set someone off.

IMO I suspect most of us would feel upset if "cornered" by bevy of hyena-like reporters baying for blood.

EP had succeeded in separating from Simon Patterson, and moving on to an independent life away from them.

As has been previously discussed, separation had already occurred when EP and her sister received an inheritance. In Australia, that would therefore mean that it would be unlikely that SP would have any claim on that portion of her assets.

"Looming custody issues" - really? AFAIK there has been official information to demonstrate this. Speculation only IMO - speculation does not equal fact.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member