Australia - 3 dead after eating wild mushrooms, Leongatha, Victoria, Aug 2023 #5 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Three people are deceased and a fourth in the hospital.
This happened after they consumed a meal prepared by EP.
What are the odds ?

This is a serious matter and it doesn't look (at this time) that the four were poisoned earlier or elsewhere.
Of course there are going to be questions and an investigation !
The victims deserve that at least.

Hoping for answers, for the grieving people who loved these elderly folks.
Omo.
100% agree. As of today neither LE nor msm has indicated that the relatives had been poisoned anywhere else but at that lunch. It’s well over a month and nothing has been released to suggest the relatives foraged out of season mushrooms to make a communal meal. Nothing to suggest the four stopped for food or drink before or after the lunch.

Certainly we can speculate any scenario within reason but IMO right now there’s no evidence that the four people got sick from anything other EP’s lunch.

Three people are deceased and a fourth in the hospital.
This happened after they consumed a meal prepared by EP.
What are the odds ?

This is a serious matter and it doesn't look (at this time) that the four were poisoned earlier or elsewhere.
Of course there are going to be questions and an investigation !
The victims deserve that at least.

Hoping for answers, for the grieving people who loved these elderly folks.
Omo.
I too hope for answers, and I very much hope that the truth will emerge.

Yes, this is indeed a serious matter - a very serious matter. The lives of Erin Patterson and her children will be forever scarred by this whole episode.

There have been many unfair assumptions made by some posters on this forum.

What makes you think that "it doesn't look (at this time) that the four were poisoned earlier or elsewhere"?
The four were related, and very close. It's entirely possible that dined/had a beverage together later. Additionally, given Australian custom, they likely brought food/beverages to the lunch - the deadly toxin may have been in something which they brought. IMO

I too hope for answers, and I very much hope that the truth will emerge.

Yes, this is indeed a serious matter - a very serious matter. The lives of Erin Patterson and her children will be forever scarred by this whole episode.

There have been many unfair assumptions made by some posters on this forum.

What makes you think that "it doesn't look (at this time) that the four were poisoned earlier or elsewhere"?
The four were related, and very close. It's entirely possible that dined/had a beverage together later. Additionally, given Australian custom, they likely brought food/beverages to the lunch - the deadly toxin may have been in something which they brought. IMO

EP has never once claimed they brought food over. So what makes you believe they did when it’s never even been hinted at?

<modsnip: quoted post was removed as it was a triplicate post> My sympathies lie with the victims who went out for lunch and ended up dead though no fault of their own. Of course not forgetting poor Ian in need of a new Liver.

Last edited by a moderator:
EP has never once claimed they brought food over. So what makes you believe they did when it’s never even been hinted at?
Maybe you're not an Australian, but, as has been discussed a great deal in prior threads, in Australia it goes without saying - the norm is, if invited to a meal, bring food and/or beverages. It would be extraordinarily unusual for this not to occur.

If an invitee, one would usually ask the host(ess) what they would like them to bring. The response is usually something like "don't bring anything - it's all sorted". The invitee would nevertheless bring something, as it would be unthinkable not to do so. There may be rare exceptions to this, but I can't think of ANY.

Maybe you're not an Australian, but, as has been discussed a great deal in prior threads, in Australia it goes without saying - the norm is, if invited to a meal, bring food and/or beverages. It would be extraordinarily unusual for this not to occur.

If an invitee, one would usually ask the host(ess) what they would like them to bring. The response is usually something like "don't bring anything - it's all sorted". The invitee would nevertheless bring something, as it would be unthinkable not to do so. There may be rare exceptions to this, but I can't think of ANY.

EP’s leaked statement never mentioned guests bringing over other food. Which would be highly important if this did actually happen but she has literally never claimed this.

We do know though that she threw away evidence and we also know her ex husband accused her of poisoning his loved ones. Those are actual facts from EP!!

EP’s leaked statement never mentioned guests bringing over other food. Which would be highly important if this did actually happen but she has literally never claimed this.

We do know though that she threw away evidence and we also know her ex husband accused her of poisoning his lover ones. Those are actual facts from EP!!
That’s an important point IMO. Neither EP nor LE has ever stated that the relatives brought food that may have been tainted with death cap mushrooms. It seems like that would be quite a bombshell yet it has never been stated by LE.

The same holds for the relatives consuming death cap tainted mushrooms anywhere else that day. LE has focused only on the Saturday lunch at EP’s house.

If anyone can quote a link where LE suggests the death cap poisoning came from anywhere other than EP’s lunch I’m more than willing to consider an alternative source.
MOO

IMO I suspect most of us would feel upset if "cornered" by bevy of hyena-like reporters baying for blood.

EP had succeeded in separating from Simon Patterson, and moving on to an independent life away from them.

As has been previously discussed, separation had already occurred when EP and her sister received an inheritance. In Australia, that would therefore mean that it would be unlikely that SP would have any claim on that portion of her assets.

"Looming custody issues" - really? AFAIK there has been official information to demonstrate this. Speculation only IMO - speculation does not equal fact.
I disagree regarding SP having any claim on EP’s assets. I don’t believe they were separated until last year (around the time of SP’s hospitalization) and either way, it is my understanding that all the property becomes part of an asset pool in a divorce in Australia.

In my opinion divorce/money and custody are obvious factors in this scenario.

There has never been a any hint of a suggestion that the family ate elsewhere before lunch or after lunch.

If a restaurant or a cafe had served death cap then it would of been all over news that this establishment had been closed down for inspection.

Also important to remember despite EP lies she has never claimed they brought food over or that they ate somewhere else on route.

I mean is it possible that they ate before they arrived and that set EP off into a murderous rage after she had spent hours cooking for them and decided to get revenge?! Seems highly unlikely to me but I hope LE get to the bottom of this mystery.

MOO

Last edited:

We do know though that she threw away evidence and we also know her ex husband accused her of poisoning his loved ones. Those are actual facts from EP!!
Bolding mine.
Amazing, because IF EP had claimed this, it would have given her an 'out', so to speak !

Probably the most foolish action she could have done was to throw out the food processor.
Not thinking clearly, imo.
Omo.

It seems to be an uncontested fact that EP accused SP of not helping with the housework and also of never being around. I'm not disputing this, but I would be interested to hear SP's version.

It seems to be an uncontested fact that EP accused SP of not helping with the housework and also of never being around. I'm not disputing this, but I would be interested to hear SP's version.
She said it in a Facebook group post to people she believed were her friends. I wouldn't put a whole lot of credence in her accusation considering the circumstance. People complain about their spouse to their friends all the time, it doesn't always mean a whole lot.

As far as I'm aware, a wife commenting that her husband didn't help with the housework, and was never around does not prove anything at all. (Certainly not that that person is a murderer.)

Many, many wives (actually many millions of wives) have said, do say, and will say the exact same thing.

I disagree regarding SP having any claim on EP’s assets. I don’t believe they were separated until last year (around the time of SP’s hospitalization) and either way, it is my understanding that all the property becomes part of an asset pool in a divorce in Australia.

In my opinion divorce/money and custody are obvious factors in this scenario.
The separation occurred before SP became ill, which explains why she was reluctant to care for him IMO.

IMO I suspect most of us would feel upset if "cornered" by bevy of hyena-like reporters baying for blood.

EP had succeeded in separating from Simon Patterson, and moving on to an independent life away from them.

As has been previously discussed, separation had already occurred when EP and her sister received an inheritance. In Australia, that would therefore mean that it would be unlikely that SP would have any claim on that portion of her assets.

"Looming custody issues" - really? AFAIK there has been official information to demonstrate this. Speculation only IMO - speculation does not equal fact.
Bbm.
To clarify : The second poster you've quoted (--and I have also quoted below) ; concluded their post with "JMO", i.e., "Just My Opinion".
They were not stating it as fact.
An opinion is also considered theory or speculation.

As far as we know now, the custody and/or property issues may have been a factor.
Or not ?
Her ex is suspicious of her and in the light of his own previous illness and the deaths of his parents, I cannot blame him.

• Her ex-husband suffered a mystery stomach illness last May

And LE seem to be focusing on EP and not elsewhere.
That could change !

I think there are relevant material reasons she might want to erase her ex and his family. They were separated, headed for imminent divorce. They had a few properties that needed to be divided up and that is very stressful. On top of that, there is the looming custody issues.

I really don't think she wanted to have a 50/50 custody arrangement, since she claimed that her partner 'was never home and never helped her.'

And she may have felt pressured by her in-laws, to let SP have more time with the kids. The disparity between EP being a proud atheist and her ex and his family being devoutly religious may have reared its ugly head here as well.

I feel like she maybe wanted the freedom to raise her kids the way she wanted to without the annoying interference from SP and his family. JMO
Bolding mine.

Also wanted to add that LE have cleared no one at this time.
Omo.

Last edited:
What makes you believe that they didn't?

It is customary in Australia to bring food and/or beverages, and very unusual not to.
I and many Australians would never arrive empty handed when invited to a meal.

I was told absolutely that I didn't need to bring anything to a friends Xmas dinner, that was emphatic.

I think it's instilled in us over the years that it's rude not to take something, either food, flowers or some other gift.

Oh and I ignored my friend and followed my conscience and took the biggest box of Ferrero Rocher chocolates I could find.

Victoria Police Detective Inspector for the Homicide Squad, Dean Thomas, confirmed on Monday that Erin was being treated as a
person of interest.

^^^ Red emphasis mine : This would prob. be the reason for reporters trying to ask questions or to record a statement ?

I do not think of the reporters as hyenas, their job is to source a scoop or statement for the readers of their newspapers.
It might have been wise for EP to stick with saying something like, 'no comment'; but we're way past that, now.

I feel for those who loved the victims.

It must have been an excruciating death. :(

From above link :
Death caps are known to cause digestion problems - including nausea, diarrhoea and vomiting - and serious liver damage.

Also from above link : Authorities have urged the public to be wary of consuming any mushrooms not purchased from a supermarket.
red bolded by me: It's as if they are saying, "We know the poisoned mushrooms were not from an Asian market or any other store." ?

Omo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member