Australia - 3 dead after eating wild mushrooms, Leongatha, Victoria, Aug 2023 #5 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not inclined to predict case outcomes with any degree of certainty. So called water-tight cases can fail on legal technicalities.

As the saying goes: the opera ain't over til the fat lady sings.

I am confident because they have laid so many charges they must have evidence of the other attempted poisonings.

I am confident because they have laid so many charges they must have evidence of the other attempted poisonings.

I'm not sure how they would have evidence of the Simon Patterson alleged poisonings, given the elapsed time and also AFAIK no reports of any police involvement in relation to those events at the times.

Police often lay numerous charges at the outset and by the time a case hits court they will sometimes drop/downgrade some charges -- sometimes as the result of a deal to plead guilty on the remaining charges.

On ABC now. All the others relate to SIMoN. The one a few years ago that ended him in hospital and another 2 where he became I’ll after eating her food
I wonder if that’s why he broke up with her? On account of her cooking and his subsequent repeated illnesses? Perhaps he felt his life was in danger if he stayed in a relationship with her… jmo

To me that seems like allegedly something like a DV situation, as they were in a relationship and she, allegedly, repeatedly attempted to murder him.

IMHO.

I'm not sure how they would have evidence of the Simon Patterson alleged poisonings, given the elapsed time and also AFAIK no reports of any police involvement in relation to those events at the times.

Police often lay numerous charges at the outset and by the time a case hits court they will sometimes drop some charges -- sometimes as the result of a deal to plead guilty on the remaining charges.
You might be surprised by how long pathology samples are retained in case they need retesting.

Also some poisons remain detectable in bodily tissues, hair follicles and hair itself for a very long time.

Police certainly do sometimes press charges for a large number of charges in the hopes of a negotiated settlement/plea deal for some of them, but they usually offer to drop the most serious charges in return for guilty pleas to lesser charges. Bulking murder charges with lesser attempted murder charges that may be more difficult to prove doesn’t fit this model very well.

Police often lay numerous charges at the outset and by the time a case hits court they will sometimes drop/downgrade some charges -- sometimes as the result of a deal to plead guilty on the remaining charges.
If he has presented to a GP or hospital, then it is possible that detailed medical records exist. Given the additional attempts took place after the one that hospitalised him, he may have had suspicions already and been smart about presenting to a doctor/hospital to have it investigated.

Actually charging could probably scare some people into revealing themselves, but some people get scared into making a false confession.

Tough luck if it turns out she didn't set out to kill anyone.

So it is kind of fishing.
Presumably the DPP would have examined the police brief before charges were laid.

IMO

Just because you are not sure , that doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist. Considering one time he nearly died there would be samples and so on.

She has been charged multiple times here and obviously had multiple attempts it doesn’t get more serious than that.

Moo

Are you still hopeful she's innocent?

I've always kept an open mind.

My thinking all along was that I am open to all possibilities.

I've always hoped the truth would come out, either way.

I wasn't hoping she would be either innocent or guilty. All I'm hoping for is the truth about what happened.
The real truth and not one where an innocent person might go to jail, or one where the guilty person gets away with it.

If she is guilty, it's enough that she is punished by prison. I'm not going to pile on to attacking her or wishing inhumane treatment of her.

If she's found not guilty, I hope the public can accept it, but I don't think things have evolved much since Lindy Chamberlain.

You might be surprised by how long pathology samples are retained in case they need retesting.

I'm not at all surprised (nor am I surprised at how often they "go missing" in the interim, especially when in police custody).

It's never been stated that any official pathology was done in Simon's case and IMO, given the scrutiny of this case, I think by now we would have heard about that.

In time, the Crown's case will make it clear what evidence they have.

If he has presented to a GP or hospital, then it is possible that detailed medical records exist. Given the additional attempts took place after the one that hospitalised him, he may have had suspicions already and been smart about presenting to a doctor/hospital to have it investigated.
I want to float a hypothesis, in light of police charges of alleged murder in relation to a 48 year old man…

Maybe when or after ex-partner Simon got sick, he wanted to flee interstate or somewhere where he could be safe; but felt he couldn’t on account of not being able to take the children with him. Presumably, he wouldn’t have permission to take the children away with him, and he may not have wanted to leave the kids with their mother without him around town, for safety reasons.

Moo

Either way: What a horrible, protracted situation.

I feel quite angry and sad that she was allegedly able to execute five attempted murders and three murders. That should never have been allowed to occur.

All imho

Last edited:
Just because you are not sure , that doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist. Considering one time he nearly died there would be samples and so on.

IMO had there been any pathology samples relating to Simon, we would have heard about them before now, and I believe that charges in that matter would have been laid earlier than today.

Let's see what the Crown puts forward as evidence for those charges.

I feel quite angry and sad that she was allegedly able to execute five attempted murders and three murders. That should never have been allowed to occur.

As we know, in small towns tongues can tend to wag about a series of strange occurrences. Seems to me that SP must have not discussed his suspicions very widely, if at all.

I
I'm not at all surprised (nor am I surprised at how often they "go missing" in the interim, especially when in police custody).

It's never been stated that any official pathology was done in Simon's case and IMO, given the scrutiny of this case, I think by now we would have heard about that.

I agree with most of what you said but I would be surprised if no pathology/lab work was done given Simon ended up on death’s door in the ICU, and I’m not so sure we would’ve heard any details of this in the media.

The crown case will indeed shine light where we can only speculate.

Also some poisons remain detectable in bodily tissues, hair follicles and hair itself for a very long time. Oh wow. I feel like Simon would have cut his hair a few times since then. It’s quite short. This is really fascinating.

Police certainly do sometimes press charges for a large number of charges in the hopes of a negotiated settlement/plea deal for some of them, but they usually offer to drop the most serious charges in return for guilty pleas to lesser charges. Bulking murder charges with lesser attempted murder charges that may be more difficult to prove doesn’t fit this model very well. I don’t feel like police will plan on dropping any of these charges. What do you think?
All BBM.

IMO I would predict that Simon's previous three illnesses have been re-examined and evidence has been found that his three previous illnesses were the result of an attempt by Erin to murder him.

As we know, in small towns tongues can tend to wag about a series of strange occurrences. Seems to me that SP must have not discussed his suspicions very widely, if at all.
As I recall it was some of Simon’s mates who told the media about previous potential poisoning attempts. Something along the lines of him becoming unwell a few times after eating meals she prepared, plus the ICU episode.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timbo1966