Australia - 3 dead after eating wild mushrooms, Leongatha, Victoria, Aug 2023 #6 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
She went onto work at Tullamarine Airport before leaving the job in 2002, a former colleague said.

'She was rated in the field and was actually responsible for running airspace for a while,' he said.

'She's very bright and much brighter than people might think. She managed to get guys wrapped around her little finger although she was very unkempt,' he added

Airservices Australia confirmed Patterson worked for them between February 2001 and November 2002.

eta: This woman is very deliberate. Her intelligence does not surprise me. She implemented a career and personal strategy that worked well for her. Until lately… imo

Last edited:
A court sketch of Erin Patterson in Latrobe Valley Magistrates Court. Picture: Anita Lester

A court sketch of Erin Patterson in Latrobe Valley Magistrates Court

Asked whether Ms Patterson was applying for bail, Mr Doogue said, “unfortunately, no”.

No supporters of the accused murderer could be seen in the packed country courtroom, as dozens of other observers watched the ten-minute proceeding on the video link.

Last edited:
Perhaps she prepared a “plate” to be sent home for SP since he missed the lunch and possibly had special dietary requirements after operations and prior illness. EP wouldn’t think the other 4 would touch it because it was Special food for SP, but they instead incorporated it into an evening meal shared between the 4. Like they combined his plate with some other leftovers in a fry-up or bubble & squeak.
The timing of the ingestion of amatoxins and subsequent onset of symptoms is quite consistent and well understood.

Given when the victims presented to hospital, any special portion for Simon would need to have been eaten almost immediately after the meal they already ate at Erin’s house.

This leads me to believe that the meals they ate with Erin contained the death cap mushrooms.

The 7 News video linked below is an update which mainly covers Erin’s court appearance today.

It was reported that some of the computer equipment seized during the raid on Erin’s house yesterday were found hidden across the property.

If they contain anything incriminating, I find it incredible that Erin thought she could successfully hide the equipment such that a police search wouldn’t find it.

Charlie Bezzina (an experienced Victorian ex homicide detective) was quoted earlier today as saying that the use of technology dogs was highly unusual.

This leads me to believe that the police had intelligence that indicated that Erin may have incriminating material on electronic devices and that she was concealing them.

In the absence of such intelligence I feel they would still seize and examine her devices as happens in many serious criminal investigations - the use of the technology detection dogs seems indicative of them having foreknowledge.

If they contain anything incriminating, I find it incredible that Erin thought she could successfully hide the equipment such that a police search wouldn’t find it.

She's said and done a number of dumb things. I'm having trouble reconciling that with claims from a former colleague that she's "very bright and much brighter than people might think".

She's said and done a number of dumb things. I'm having trouble reconciling that with claims from a former colleague that she's "very bright and much brighter than people might think".
Me too. Some of the dumb stuff might be explained by acting in the heat of the moment, before thinking things through, but other stuff like this is harder to reconcile with being very bright.

Wow - that's an incredibly difficult job to apply for and train up and do. It shows a certain strength of thinking.

Now I'm finding it even harder to believe she was stupid enough to poison all her guests and think she could get away with it.

There is one word that comes to mind with her though - 'orchestrated' - if she *has* done this then she was trying to orchestrate something and that would align nicely with being air traffic control in thinking style.

Suspected mushroom poisoning: Erin Patterson faces Australian court on murder charges​

An Australian woman charged with murdering three people in a suspected mushroom poisoning case is also accused of trying to murder her ex-partner on four occasions, court documents say.

Erin Patterson, 49, was charged with three counts of murder and five of attempted murder on Thursday.

[…]

Ms Patterson continues to maintain her innocence.

She appeared briefly in court on Friday, where her case was adjourned until 3 May to give prosecutors time to analyse computer equipment seized from her home during a police search. She did not apply for bail.

About half a dozen TV crews were lined up outside the hearing in the small town of Morwell, about 60km (37 miles) from Leongatha.

But for the cameras and curious locals there was no glimpse of Ms Patterson, who was moved from her overnight police cell into the court building via a connecting tunnel.

In court documents released to local media on Friday, police allege Ms Patterson attempted to kill her estranged husband Simon Patterson three times between November 2021 and September 2022.

The alleged fourth attempt was on the day she served a beef Wellington lunch to his parents Gail and Don Patterson, aunt Heather Wilkinson and her husband Ian Wilkinson. Simon Patterson did not attend the meal.

[…]

Wow - that's an incredibly difficult job to apply for and train up and do. It shows a certain strength of thinking.

Now I'm finding it even harder to believe she was stupid enough to poison all her guests and think she could get away with it.

There is one word that comes to mind with her though - 'orchestrated' - if she *has* done this then she was trying to orchestrate something and that would align nicely with being air traffic control in thinking style.
I think if a crime occurred at the family lunch, it was a crime of passion. Of anger. Not logical at all.

IMO

I’m not saying Erin murdered anyone, she may be innocent, but if she did per chance murder Simon’s parents and his Aunt, I don’t think she would have any reason to kill Simon’s family. Not a logical reason anyway.

I really think there’s a chance that she “acted out” when she found out he cancelled on the lunch and she dished out a disproportionate amount of revenge.

I think maybe he stood her up for his own murder lunch, and it made her see red.

Decided that instead of allegedly killing Simon she would make do with his family members.

It’s important of course to presume she may be innocent, and she may be.

My heart breaks for all of Simon’s loved ones who have passed away. And for the community of Leongatha and beyond.

Last edited:
If anything, the fact the accused used to be an air traffic controller seems even scarier. It is a position of power and I wonder if she is guilty that she enjoyed having a feeling of power over her guests. It is a chilling thought.

Me too. Some of the dumb stuff might be explained by acting in the heat of the moment, before thinking things through, but other stuff like this is harder to reconcile with being very bright.

I have wondered if she's a drinker / stoner. A lot of people who drink heavily to ease the tension or wind down of an evening end up full blown alcohol dependent by middle age and don't really know that they are.

Also I'm sensing any intelligence she has is 'academic' as opposed to 'emotional intelligence' or being good with people, <modsnip - off topic>

Also, if she'd gone through every scenario of outcomes of divorce in her mind and knew they all end up with her screwed for half her money and property, maybe she just took control (in her mind) as there's no amount of conversation or discussion or legal negotiation that's going to be favourable, far from it, and she went kamikaze meltdown. Maybe she didn't have a plan or an outcome so much as like oh wow I'm gonna screw you all !!

JMO MOO pure speculations

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, you have to be bright, organised and methodical to do that work. The consequences if you aren't can be catastrophic.

MOO

I once did the testing for Military ATC training. There was lots of IQ test style questions - spacial awareness, visual symbols, patterns, codes, logic, etc. Also much of it was using hand held controls to play a sort of video game where you couldn't allow the dot to stray from the position it was meant to be in .. erm that's not a very good explanation but you were supposed to have lightning quick reaction time to correct the dot in whatever direction as soon as it had deviated. This was many many years ago and it's probably way more sophisticated now (they probably scan your neural pathways too or something!) Suffice to say I have never worked in ATC

Perhaps she prepared a “plate” to be sent home for SP since he missed the lunch and possibly had special dietary requirements after operations and prior illness. EP wouldn’t think the other 4 would touch it because it was Special food for SP, but they instead incorporated it into an evening meal shared between the 4. Like they combined his plate with some other leftovers in a fry-up or bubble & squeak.

I've been thinking this too. They somehow ate his portion or his portion got mixed up in their meals and when I say portion it could be anything.

I once did the testing for Military ATC training. There was lots of IQ test style questions - spacial awareness, visual symbols, patterns, codes, logic, etc. Also much of it was using hand held controls to play a sort of video game where you couldn't allow the dot to stray from the position it was meant to be in .. erm that's not a very good explanation but you were supposed to have lightning quick reaction time to correct the dot in whatever direction as soon as it had deviated. This was many many years ago and it's probably way more sophisticated now (they probably scan your neural pathways too or something!) Suffice to say I have never worked in ATC
Erin doesn’t strike me as the type to do anything lightning quick, but maybe she was a little more spritely back then?

It was reported that some of the computer equipment seized during the raid on Erin’s house yesterday were found hidden across the property.

I'd like to know how they know it was hidden.

I have stuff packed away in all kinds of places, all kinds of technology, old phones, laptops, drives etc.
Just because they're not out on a desk or shelf doesn't automatically mean they are hidden.
Some of my old stuff even used to be in a shed, and an old house.

The police stayed in her Leongatha home for six hours before taking her to the police station at nearby Wonthaggi.

Patterson did not sign the statement she gave to police and which was released to the media in August. Investigators will have to corroborate its contents nevertheless.
The township of Korumburra southeast of Melbourne. Picture: Ian Currie

The township of Korumburra southeast of Melbourne.

Poisonings hold a ghastly fascination that date back to Ancient Greece.

Deliciously diabolical, they command a unique gallows humour that can seem so at odds with their murderous intent.

Victims boast no clues to the doom that they themselves, unwittingly, propel by the most automatic of functions. Sipping a cup of tea. Nibbling on a biscuit.

Many observers are poised to add beef wellington, a darling go-to concoction of the 1970s, to the list of lethal weapons. For this case, if prosecuted, invites the mystery of Azaria Chamberlain and the bald claims of innocence from Mary Mallon, known for posterity as Typhoid Mary.

I'd like to know how they know it was hidden.

I have stuff packed away in all kinds of places, all kinds of technology, old phones, laptops, drives etc.
Just because they're not out on a desk or shelf doesn't automatically mean they are hidden.
Some of my old stuff even used to be in a shed, and an old house.
They’d have a field day with you! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member