Australia - 3 dead after eating wild mushrooms, Leongatha, Victoria, Aug 2023 #6 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Even with the cursive, that looks more like children's handwriting than adult handwriting to me. Is it weird and creepy? Yeah. But a lot of kids can be weird and creepy. I know a family who are warm and loving, and their sweet baby boy is the most darling little child in the world, adores his papa and his mama and his baby sisters..... and he also loves spookies. Asks to visit graveyards because that's where skeletons live and boy does he love skeletons. He wants to BE a skeleton some day, and doesn't understand when people say we hope he's not a skeleton for a long, long, LONG time.

And all of this during/post-COVID. I can't imagine what it would be like to be a school aged child during all of that. Their maternal grandmother had also died in 2019, pre-pandemic. If I was a child, young teenager or even an older teenager, I think I'd be feeling some pretty strong feelings about death, mortality and morbidity as well!! Jmo :0)
I don't even think it's a "kids these days" phenomenon, or anything that's particularly new. I grew up in the 80s and death symbolism was omnipresent.
  • Slasher flicks were huge business: Friday the 13th, Nightmare on Elm Street, Halloween...
  • Heavy metal was rife with that kind of imagery. Check out any Iron Maiden album cover.
  • Goth music and the subculture probably reached its apex in the late 80s / early 90s. I remember kids spending hours hanging out in graveyards, dressed in black and listening to the Cure.
  • Skater brands almost all had some kind of skull and crossbones or skeleton in their logos.
  • Garbage Pail Kids trading cards were hugely popular and featured very violent images of young children who were dead or dying.
I could probably list a dozen more items, but this stuff has been around forever. And we all turned out okay. (More or less.)

Seasons Greetings fellow sleuthers!

This yarn dropped today, it features Erin Patterson’s Christmas meal plan for today.

Credit/ DMA

Even with the cursive, that looks more like children's handwriting than adult handwriting to me. Is it weird and creepy? Yeah. But a lot of kids can be weird and creepy. I know a family who are warm and loving, and their sweet baby boy is the most darling little child in the world, adores his papa and his mama and his baby sisters..... and he also loves spookies. Asks to visit graveyards because that's where skeletons live and boy does he love skeletons. He wants to BE a skeleton some day, and doesn't understand when people say we hope he's not a skeleton for a long, long, LONG time.

We all sometimes use black humor to deal with awkward situations. (My family once rented a convenient Airbnb, only to realize that the windows were overlooking a nearby graveyard. Our response was, “shouldn’t the owner add “quiet neighborhood” to the description?”). I view the painting as something similar, kids trying to use humor, perhaps, to cope with grandma’s death? Nothing wrong per se.
MOO - the kids were uninvolved in the dinner, their current situation is not easy. The tabloid overstepped the boundaries. It also slightly reeks of privacy violation, so by all means the name of the person who, without owner’s permission, took the photo of the wall, should be known to public.

I think the Daily Mail story about what will be served in prison on Christmas Day is in pretty bad taste.

Like heaping on the punishment on a person who hasn't even been found guilty of anything.

It would still be in bad taste if a person was guilty.

Gloating over someone's downfall is not the kind of character trait I would like to have.

MOO - the kids were uninvolved in the dinner, their current situation is not easy. The tabloid overstepped the boundaries.
It was originally published by news.com. They are owned by News Corp, are they a tabloid? I don’t think so? IMO. And yes it was essentially re-published by so many outlets.
It also slightly reeks of privacy violation, so by all means the name of the person who, without owner’s permission, took the photo of the wall, should be known to public.
Well he may have used the photo as part of his quote, or a before and after for his business, he was a painter or tradesperson wasn’t he?

I’ve no doubt he would have had permission to take the photograph. Moo.

Should he have attempted to sell it to the media? That’s the question.

I think if any privacy violation has occurred, imho it’s to do with the fact that all of the publications that have published the image have done so without redacting the names of the children.

To my mind, that is a really major privacy violation.

I think the Daily Mail story about what will be served in prison on Christmas Day is in pretty bad taste.

Like heaping on the punishment on a person who hasn't even been found guilty of anything.

It would still be in bad taste if a person was guilty.

Gloating over someone's downfall is not the kind of character trait I would like to have.
People are fascinated by her story. I don’t know why, but they are.

I just checked and the article has had 1.8 thousand shares so far, which (at my best guess) indicates a readership (I think) of 10s of thousands of consumers. Imo.

The article pointed out that Ms. Patterson is on remand, she’s not been convicted of any crime and that she’s not yet entered a plea for any of the charges. I think that’s very fair, and there seems to be no issue with sub judice whatsoever.

She’s also not applied for bail, and that’s been re-stated in this article. Also factual and fair. And I think it’s a story that’s worth telling. Moo.

And: Whilst I concede it’s not pleasant to think of any of our friends or acquaintances (or anyone) being on remand for Christmas, I also turn my heart to the people whom Victoria police allege are ‘victims’ of murder and also the victims, they allege, of attempted murder, connected with this case….and my heart goes out to the family who are having to endure their first Christmas without some of their dear loved ones, and I suppose that’s what I feel most sad about; I feel sad for them and for all they have lost in this tragedy.

And of course it may all be just a tragic accident or another circumstance - they’re just charges, not criminal convictions, and Erin may be completely innocent, but I still feel for Simon and his family and all of the loved ones left behind.

IMO

Original Story re Eerie Hand Painted Wall?
It was originally published by news.com. They are owned by News Corp, are they a tabloid? I don’t think so? IMO. And yes it was essentially re-published by so many outlets....
snipped for focus @Ellery84 Thanks for your post.

Tabloid? If you or anyone wants to try sorting this, these ref's may help. (Or not, IDK)

"Holdings
"News Corp Australia operates 170 newspaper and magazine titles in Australia [when?], including the following:....
"Websites
"News.com.au publishes stories and multimedia created by a team of about 51 reporters."

Yes, pic of handpainted wall got lots of play.

Original Story re Eerie Hand Painted Wall?

snipped for focus @Ellery84 Thanks for your post.

Tabloid? If you or anyone wants to try sorting this, these ref's may help. (Or not, IDK)

"Holdings
"News Corp Australia operates 170 newspaper and magazine titles in Australia [when?], including the following:....
"Websites
"News.com.au publishes stories and multimedia created by a team of about 51 reporters."

Yes, pic of handpainted wall got lots of play.
Thank you for your help! I don’t consider News Corp publications to be tabloids, but that’s just my opinion. I suppose. I also realise that the word “tabloid” is used as a bit of a slur sometimes, but as a consumer, I’ve found some of the richest and most factual pieces come from what some term “tabloid” outlets. IMHO

IMHO: It all depends who’s writing the pieces, more than the Masthead from which they originate.

I think all of the approved sources in WS have merit, and I also think the Eerie Wall has merit and interest for publication, in the case of the mushroom deaths of Leongatha.

Thank you for your help! I don’t consider News Corp publications to be tabloids, but that’s just my opinion. I suppose. I also realise that the word “tabloid” is used as a bit of a slur sometimes, but as a consumer, I’ve found some of the richest and most factual pieces come from what some term “tabloid” outlets. IMHO

IMHO: It all depends who’s writing the pieces, more than the Masthead from which they originate.

I think all of the approved sources in WS have merit, and I also think the Eerie Wall has merit and interest for publication, in the case of the mushroom deaths of Leongatha.

Funny people are discussing whether News Corp is a tabloid or not. In my post, I didn't use "tabloid" as a slur, rather, like a publication with huge exposure. Daily Mail is a tabloid. People, for sure. It doesn't mean that what they write has no value. Maybe what I mean is, "written in an easy, captivating but not-too-intellectual-way; hence, lots of people would read it". (But: The Atlantic is not a tabloid, although it has a decent circulation).

Funny people are discussing whether News Corp is a tabloid or not. In my post, I didn't use "tabloid" as a slur, rather, like a publication with huge exposure.

No, I know. I was actually thinking of the way Lisa Wilkinson recently used the word tabloid as a slur in the BL Defamation trial, saying something like “I’m not a cheap tabloid journalist.”

Daily Mail is a tabloid. People, for sure. It doesn't mean that what they write has no value.
Yes, agreed!

Maybe what I mean is, "written in an easy, captivating but not-too-intellectual-way; hence, lots of people would read it". (But: The Atlantic is not a tabloid, although it has a decent circulation).

Also, the Erin Christmas Lunch story has had 2.4 thousand shares now, it’s literally flying off the pages. Wow.

No, I know. I was actually thinking of the way Lisa Wilkinson recently used the word tabloid as a slur in the BL Defamation trial, saying something like “I’m not a cheap tabloid journalist.”

Yes, agreed!

Also, the Erin Christmas Lunch story has had 2.4 thousand shares now, it’s literally flying off the pages. Wow.

About EP. While the case is very suspicious, she has been neither found guilty nor convicted yet. For sure it is probably her worst Christmas. This gloating about her fate by the newspaper is in bad taste. JMO.

About EP. While the case is very suspicious, she has been neither found guilty nor convicted yet. For sure it is probably her worst Christmas. This gloating about her fate by the newspaper is in bad taste. JMO.

Especially when the journalist has lumped EP into an article that covers what eight convicted murderers were eating for their Christmas meal.

Just chuck the little disclaimer "Daily Mail Australia does not suggest she is guilty" in there to CYA, but associate her (either prematurely or incorrectly, DM doesn't care which) with convicted murderers anyway. :rolleyes:

imo

Especially when the journalist has lumped EP into an article that covers what eight convicted murderers were eating for their Christmas meal.

Where was that? I missed that in the piece. I’ve just re-read it again and I still can’t find this.
Just chuck the little disclaimer "Daily Mail Australia does not suggest she is guilty" in there to CYA, but associate her (either prematurely or incorrectly, DM doesn't care which) with convicted murderers anyway. :rolleyes:

imo
DMA have been very careful to state accurately that she is on remand.

I think the only things that Erin has in common with other prisoners are (a) location, (b) meals and (c) clothing. Imo

Apart from that, her situation is so different from other inmates, as she is on remand.

Wouldn’t it be great if there was another, nicer and more comfortable prison for those inmates who hadn’t yet been convicted of any crime?

Moo

What I find most distasteful is the constant reporting re EP's children. They are young children and should be mentioned at the absolute barest minimum imo. <modsnip: no source>

Last edited by a moderator:

What I find most distasteful is the constant reporting re EP's children. They are young children and should be mentioned at the absolute barest minimum imo. She doesn't even have their ages right!
Yes it’s always sad when there’s a person accused of murder and the person is a parent. Of course children should be off limits. 100 percent.

<modsnip: quoted post was snipped>

Last edited by a moderator:

Funny people are discussing whether News Corp is a tabloid or not. In my post, I didn't use "tabloid" as a slur, rather, like a publication with huge exposure. Daily Mail is a tabloid. People, for sure. It doesn't mean that what they write has no value. Maybe what I mean is, "written in an easy, captivating but not-too-intellectual-way; hence, lots of people would read it". (But: The Atlantic is not a tabloid, although it has a decent circulation).

Mainstream media news publications such as the Daily Mail has a global readership several million times higher than other publications, so although we may mock it for being sensational and possibly moronic etc, it's worth bearing in mind that this has the greatest influence on people. Publishers can and do get prosecuted for making errors and they have been held to account for their unethical behaviour many times in the last 20 years to the point they're very careful nowadays.

I've noticed in crime cases the DM gives very full and detailed information and also tends to strongly 'hint' at details from from the off which come out later or are proven to be evidenced in court (as opposed to hinting at things that are unfounded) so they obviously have reliable inside sources in many instances.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay