Australia - 3 dead after eating wild mushrooms, Leongatha, Victoria, Aug 2023 #6 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here. Having thought about it, I realized that it was not taking a photo in a client's house that made me cringe. It was keeping that photo for a year. A year ago, no one could foresee that the owner of the house to be painted and sold would end up in the epicenter of a major murder mystery. EP was just another mom from a small town. So, maybe someone with poor boundaries takes the photo of an odd wall to share with wife and friends. But why keep it for a year and make public after that? Now i want to know more about that person - did he do any painting work in her new house, too? Could he have left the dried poisonous mushrooms? Besides SP and his family, he is the only person I know to have visited EP's house, and his behavior looks strange to me.
He may be like me and just never delete old photos. You could go back a year and find all sorts of random pics on my phone: receipts, parking signs, merchandise tags, etc. Basically, anything I need to preserve or to help my memory at that moment.

And as for why the painter took the photo...I think it's becoming pretty common for tradesmen to take before-and-after pics to document their work. When I got my car repaired, the body shop did that so there wouldn't be a dispute later. Similarly, when I rent a car, I always take photos all over when I pick it up and again when I bring it back. These days, even delivery people will snap a photo to prove that they actually dropped off the item.

None of that however, excuses the painter from selling the pics to the Daily Mail. If you're going to take pics of people's private stuff you need to have integrity (or their needs to be laws in place) to prevent you from sharing it beyond what is required for your job.

IIRC, the painter didn't have permission to take the photo, peddled it around to various media, and sold it.
If this is correct (and it may not be), he should be held to account.

The Master Painters Association of Australia (Victoria) Code of Ethics "Obligation to the Client" appears to be an area where this particular painter falls very short.
IMO he has not satisfied the obligation "To conduct our business to the highest professional standards", or "To present a favourable image of our industry to the public
CODE OF ETHICS – Master Painters Association of Victoria
The Master Painters Association of Australia - Victoria Code of Ethics

The painter has been pretty horrible IMO

However, in such a (small) job it would be usual for the worker to take photos of before and after to prove to the client - or small claims court if the client doesn't pay - exactly what was achieved.

In his defence, most people don't take time out to go through and delete photos any longer. So it's not so much he 'kept it' as he didn't delete it probably

IIRC, the painter didn't have permission to take the photo, peddled it around to various media, and sold it.

The Master Painters Association of Australia (Victoria) Code of Ethics "Obligation to the Client" appears to be an area where this particular painter falls very short.
IMO he has not satisfied the obligation "To conduct our business to the highest professional standards", or "To present a favourable image of our industry to the public
Oh he should definitely be in trouble with the Master Painters Association. No doubt about it. Take his brushes away too, I say. It was a low act.

Iirc homicide wanted to speak with him after his photo was published.

I bet they had a strong word to him about shopping around potential evidence instead of taking it straight to the police to assist their investigation.

All imho.

The painter has been pretty horrible IMO

However, in such a (small) job it would be usual for the worker to take photos of before and after to prove to the client - or small claims court if the client doesn't pay - exactly what was achieved.

In his defence, most people don't take time out to go through and delete photos any longer. So it's not so much he 'kept it' as he didn't delete it probably
The small business/painting company may have a company database of quote photos, which they delete every year or so, and maybe it was still in a file somewhere.

Or maybe it creeped him out so much he just kept it on his phone for a rainy day, or as you said, it may have just been complacency in not regularly deleting pictures.

Or maybe he was an Air Tasker and the photos remain on the application for a long period of time?

IMO

Last edited:
None of that however, excuses the painter from selling the pics to the Daily Mail.

I think he sold it to News Corp. iirc

They published the “Scoop” / “Exclusive” on the creepy wall.

If you're going to take pics of people's private stuff you need to have integrity (or their needs to be laws in place) to prevent you from sharing it beyond what is required for your job.
How much integrity does News Corp have?

Last edited:
Yes, I think that could be the case Ellery84. If she were to be released on bail, IMO her life woud not be improved significantly from her current situation. It may be that she has anticipated that there could be some restrictions to spending time with her children. Prior to her remand her children were removed from her care, IIRC until such time as the investigation into the "mushroom" deaths was finalised with a satisfactory outcome in relation to Erin.
She has no other family living locally. Her only blood relative (from what I can gather - ICBW) is her sister who resides in Melbourne. There has really been no information regarding her closeness (or otherwise) to her sister.
IMO, given the above, her only source of comfort and solace may be her lovely black labrador.
She may gain solace from her religious beliefs, but I imagine that any such solace would be the same whether she is on remand, or released on bail. JMO
Plus she now doesn’t have a TV, a vacuum cleaner or a car….

Not much to come back to at this point, is there….
Imo

Unfortunately, being a member of MPA is not a requirement. It is a choice.
A painter/painting company can decide to be a member and pay the annual membership fees, or not.

The person has been described as a tradesman (link) so could just be an all-around handyman who attends to repairs for a real estate agency.
He said it took 6 coats of paint to cover the graffiti. A professional painter would likely use the correct methods and products which cover graffiti in 2 or 3 coats.

imo

A painter/painting company can decide to be a member and pay the annual membership fees, or not.

The person has been described as a tradesman (link) so could just be an all-around handyman who attends to repairs for a real estate agency.
He said it took 6 coats of paint to cover the graffiti. A professional painter would likely use the correct methods and products which cover graffiti in 2 or 3 coats.

imo

I said this too. It speaks to having not used the correct products to needing six coats, although he could have been exaggerating for dramatic effect - I do sense that hyperbole was involved and I know that publications will pay more and more if you are prepared to be photographed, interviewed, video interviewed as well as tell the dramatic story in your own words (then the newspaper can't be blamed for saying it). Painter tradie pushed it to the limits and will have been well paid, take a couple of years off work sort of money.

I said this too. It speaks to having not used the correct products to needing six coats, although he could have been exaggerating for dramatic effect - I do sense that hyperbole was involved and I know that publications will pay more and more if you are prepared to be photographed, interviewed, video interviewed as well as tell the dramatic story in your own words (then the newspaper can't be blamed for saying it). Painter tradie pushed it to the limits and

No I don’t think he would have been well payed at all.

News got the exclusive and they don’t even engage in check-book journalism, at all. IMO

They have a policy on it afaik.

So, he may have wanted to get paid but I don’t think he would have been paid.
Not the sharpest paint brush in the packet, when you think about it.

Moo
will have been well paid, take a couple of years off work sort of money.

He may be like me and just never delete old photos. You could go back a year and find all sorts of random pics on my phone: receipts, parking signs, merchandise tags, etc. Basically, anything I need to preserve or to help my memory at that moment.

And as for why the painter took the photo...I think it's becoming pretty common for tradesmen to take before-and-after pics to document their work. When I got my car repaired, the body shop did that so there wouldn't be a dispute later. Similarly, when I rent a car, I always take photos all over when I pick it up and again when I bring it back. These days, even delivery people will snap a photo to prove that they actually dropped off the item.

None of that however, excuses the painter from selling the pics to the Daily Mail. If you're going to take pics of people's private stuff you need to have integrity (or their needs to be laws in place) to prevent you from sharing it beyond what is required for your job.

I am not stating that he brought poison to her house IRL. I am just trying to show how it all might be used today. Personally, EP is my suspect, but...any court case has to be immaculate. In person, I think that one has to ask the permission to take photos. And surely, selling them to a newspaper, for the whole world to see, is despicable. This is why, since owing to this man, we know the names and details of the lives of two young kids, I think DM needs to share the painter's name.

No I don’t think he would have been well payed at all.

News got the exclusive and they don’t even engage in check-book journalism, at all. IMO

They have a policy on it afaik.

So, he may have wanted to get paid but I don’t think he would have been paid.
Not the sharpest paint brush in the packet, when you think about it.

Moo

Well he would be a fool indeed not to have negotiated selling that photo to the highest bidder. The story was huge, global news, and that photo was worth at the very least tens of thousands.

If he didn't run his mouth for money then why!?

I am not stating that he brought poison to her house IRL. I am just trying to show how it all might be used today. Personally, EP is my suspect, but...any court case has to be immaculate. In person, I think that one has to ask the permission to take photos. And surely, selling them to a newspaper, for the whole world to see, is despicable. This is why, since owing to this man, we know the names and details of the lives of two young kids, I think DM needs to share the painter's name.

I'm sure everyone in the local area knows exactly who it is as his voice and clumsy fingers and hands were included in the video embedded into the news story.

I'm sure everyone in the local area knows exactly who it is as his voice and clumsy fingers and hands were included in the video embedded into the news story.

DBM (about the man's business name, if he has a business name).

Wrong info ... just googled a little further and found the company name on one of the photos is a real estate agent.

imo

Last edited:
Well he would be a fool indeed not to have negotiated selling that photo to the highest bidder. The story was huge, global news, and that photo was worth at the very least tens of thousands.

Oh, imo, money was definitely his motivation!

But I don’t think it quite worked out the way he planned. I think he asked for too much and was knocked back from some outlets.

afaik

What an idiot.

imo
Good point South Aussie. Have wondered how much work he's getting these days. I had the impression when I first read about him taking the photo that he was a sole operator, and not employed by any painting business per se. If he was engaged to do the painting by a real estate agency, it reflects very poorly on them as well. JMO

Not to mention the rear view pic of him in the local news.

Because he is a judgmental moron who already labeled the wall "the death wall".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay