Australia - 3 dead after eating wild mushrooms, Leongatha, Victoria, Aug 2023

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The average person here, in Australia generally, would have had it drummed into them about the danger of death cap mushrooms.

There have been all sorts of campaigns by local, state and the federal governments.

Around times of prolonged wet weather is another time when the campaigns emerge.

Quite often it's offline, in printed newspapers, on TV and radio. And the internet of course.

And I've seen posters, around town, in public places.

Seems every three or four years there have been deaths, but the other ones mostly seem to be immigrants.

I think most Aussies know how very deadly the death cap ones are, from being educated about them over many years.
When I was growing up a million years ago, the only mushrooms that were consumed were store bought. There was no such thing has "mushroom hunting". We were told that all wild mushrooms were considered poisonous. Fast forward 55 years...I still don't know how to tell one mushroom apart from the other. That is because unlike plants, they have very different appearances during phases of their growth. About the only mushrooms I would recognize would be a "stinkhorn".(LOL, but even then I don't know if it would have it's unique phallic shape in all phases of growth) and ganoderma (conks).

When I was a master gardener, we would get calls about mushrooms and were told to refer them to the local mycology society. It's that tricky of a subject.

Depends where you live. Mine and my parents have a different process in our different councils, neither involve us getting vouchers to take things to the tip ourselves (Victoria)
Yes I thought it might be different in some places.

Here, in New South Wales, in my council area we get four mixed waste vouchers and four green waste vouchers to use over a 12 month period.
That's apart from the usual weekly rubbish collection.

9News understands the dehydrator was seized by police from a bin on Friday.
Detectives returned to the site today to speak with employees and ask for CCTV footage.
They're also asking neighbours for CCTV as well, according to this article

The Age reported on Tuesday that forensic tests were being undertaken on a food dehydrator found at the transfer station, located about 10 kilometres from Leongatha.

A homicide detective also doorknocked homes in the Leongatha area on Wednesday, asking residents for CCTV footage.

I wish so many articles weren't behind paywalls :mad:
apologies if you already know this but if you copy the link into archive.is then you can read it. can't post information here though of course but it's super useful.

I wish we archived more articles here, we've seen how many articles change dramatically over time and it leads to pages of pages of questions lol

apologies if you already know this but if you copy the link into archive.is then you can read it. can't post information here though of course but it's super useful.

I wish we archived more articles here, we've seen how many articles change dramatically over time and it leads to pages of pages of questions lolT

Thanks for that. I actually can read most of them.

I'm not good at paraphrasing though.

Oh wow I wish I got that many collections!!
With the vouchers, it's not collected. You have to take your stuff to the tip but you don't have to pay the tip fee.

We get a free weekly general waste, and green waste collection, and recycling is collected every fortnight also free,

Last edited:
They're also asking neighbours for CCTV as well, according to this article

The Age reported on Tuesday that forensic tests were being undertaken on a food dehydrator found at the transfer station, located about 10 kilometres from Leongatha.

A homicide detective also doorknocked homes in the Leongatha area on Wednesday, asking residents for CCTV footage.
Interesting. Here's an outside hypothesis, that someone who knew about the lunch but didn't attend found an opportunity to tamper with the food.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper