Australia - 3 dead after eating wild mushrooms, Leongatha, Victoria, Aug 2023

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
In a statement released on Sunday night, the family of Ian Wilkinson said they wanted to thank the Austin Hospital staff for their unwavering care and support, as well as members of the public who’ve sent cards and letters.

“We are deeply moved by the outpouring of kindness, prayers, and support from friends, family, and the broader community,” it read.

“Your thoughts and well-wishes have been a source of strength and comfort to us all.

“As we navigate this difficult journey, we kindly request that our privacy be respected. We need space to grieve, support one another, and care for Ian without public intrusion.”

I'm still keeping my mind open to all possibilities.

Same. I'm not a detective and I don't know what they may know..
To me, there are 57 things pointing at her having done something wrong. But I've been wrong before.
Joanne Lees I believe she was called? The dad whose daughter was murdered by stepson, I accused him on here and never felt so horrible in my life when I found out he did nothing.
I could go on. Shouting guilty! or not guilty! just sits wrong with me.
(There are exceptions, but in this case I don't think we know enough).

I wonder how her parents died. I also wonder if any other elderly paritioners have died unexpectedly and happened to have nobody but EP to leave their estates to??? For a woman reported to have been a ""surburban mum" she has certainly managed to accumulate a good amount of wealth. Did it really all come from her mother? Here is a link where the husband says he thinks she may have poisoned him with nightshade and recalls being unwell when he spent time with her.. Apparently he was sus about her poisoning him before this incident....(sorry if this link already posted)

In terms of motive, what would E stand to gain? Also why would she need to gain anything, she's already got a lot!

Wouldn't there be someone else involved in all this who will stand to gain and could have benefited even more if E herself had been poisoned too?

This has been a question of mine, since we did hear that she was in relatively strong financial shape.

She certainly has the opportunity and the means.
However, I am not totally convinced of motive.

I'm not saying she is innocent, just that its not 100% for me, as it appears to be with many.

Last edited:
This has been a question of mine, since we did hear that she was in relatively strong financial shape.

She certainly has the opportunity and the means.
However, I am not totally convinced of motive.

I'm not saying she is innocent, just that its not 100% for me, as it appears to be with many.
Does logic need to be applied as to why someone chooses to kill? Why did that guy in Rockhampton murder his wife and newborn baby a few days ago? Most killers are psychopaths and are mentally unstable. This case isn't like the Lindy Chamberlain case or the Peter Falconio case. We know that 4 people went to Erin Patterson's home for lunch and now 3 of them are dead and one critical. Neither Erin or her kids ate the meal. She lied to police about buying the mushrooms at the local store. She is considered a suspect by the police.

Quite a number of distinguishing characteristics shown there.

As for the bit at the end about scientists still trying to work out why the death cap is so poisonous, I believe there's plenty of conclusive research on how it kills. Here's just one:

α-Amanitin (α-AMA) plays a major role in A. phalloides poisoning, showing toxic effects on multi-organs, particularly the liver and kidneys. The main molecular mechanism responsible for intoxication signs was found to be the inhibition of ribonucleic acid (RNA) polymerase II in eukaryotic cells.

If they mean why it's so lethal, then they might as well ask why snake, spider and some fish toxins can be so lethal, too.

Last edited:
I wonder how her parents died. I also wonder if any other elderly paritioners have died unexpectedly and happened to have nobody but EP to leave their estates to??? For a woman reported to have been a ""surburban mum" she has certainly managed to accumulate a good amount of wealth. Did it really all come from her mother? Here is a link where the husband says he thinks she may have poisoned him with nightshade and recalls being unwell when he spent time with her.. Apparently he was sus about her poisoning him before this incident....(sorry if this link already posted)

I also wonder what made the husband suspect nightshade poisoning specifically?

Nightshades contain solanines, which in high doses cause gastrointestinal symptoms as well as slow pulse, headaches, and fever. Now, if I experienced those symptoms, my first thought wouldn’t be nightshades. But if for some reason I suspected that I’d been poisoned, my first thought (until now) would be prescription medication or elicit drugs - not a poisonous plant. Therefore, SP’s mind jumping straight to nightshade poisoning suggests to me that perhaps EP has a known interest in or knowledge of plant poisons…?

If the victims had also eaten elsewhere together, I assume that information will come out soon. I think it's unlikely, since it hasn't, and since she was named a POI.

If it turns out she did dispose of her dehydrator, that's possibly a crime in itself.

This case has many puzzle pieces and I think in time they will all fit to the same puzzle. All JMO.
Why would it be a crime if she disposed of a hydrator? Hydrators can’t be sent to the dump?

Why would it be a crime if she disposed of a hydrator? Hydrators can’t be sent to the dump?
Right.
From my perspective, If she disposed of it, it would indicate possible guilt.
And if she is guilty, then she obstructed justice by disposing of evidence.
If they caught her doing so on cctv, that may be why she’s been named a suspect, and the children removed.

I also wonder what made the husband suspect nightshade poisoning specifically?

Nightshades contain solanines, which in high doses cause gastrointestinal symptoms as well as slow pulse, headaches, and fever. Now, if I experienced those symptoms, my first thought wouldn’t be nightshades. But if for some reason I suspected that I’d been poisoned, my first thought (until now) would be prescription medication or elicit drugs - not a poisonous plant. Therefore, SP’s mind jumping straight to nightshade poisoning suggests to me that perhaps EP has a known interest in or knowledge of plant poisons…?
I like the “elicit drugs” concept. ;) Definition: “ Truth serum that you didn’t plan on.”

IME nightshade might not ring a bell so much to folks in the US, but “deadly nightshade” and “toadstools” are burned into the brains of children, e.g. in the UK. They’re the subject of a lot of fairy tales, too. I dunno about Aussies in that area, but maybe they have similar childhood brain burn.

But…I wouldn’t jump to deliberate poisoning, either.

I see no mention of pot pies. All I see is the usual version of Beef Wellington baked as a roll.
Meaty-ish thing with pastry on top. For some reason, I thought it was a casserole with pastry on top, but you’re right, rolling it up seems to be correct. IMO I was mixing it up with steak and kidney pie.

Mmmmm….my mouth is watering….oh….mushrooms….show-stopping mushrooms…

Strangely, I’ve never had Beef Wellington. Never seen one in my life. What have I been missing all these years?

Last edited:
Does logic need to be applied as to why someone chooses to kill? Why did that guy in Rockhampton murder his wife and newborn baby a few days ago? Most killers are psychopaths and are mentally unstable. This case isn't like the Lindy Chamberlain case or the Peter Falconio case. We know that 4 people went to Erin Patterson's home for lunch and now 3 of them are dead and one critical. Neither Erin or her kids ate the meal. She lied to police about buying the mushrooms at the local store. She is considered a suspect by the police.
This case keeps reminding me of the woman who gathered castor beans in the garden of her retirement home, created some kind of concoction, and fed the mixture to fellow residents. She even tried it out first on some residents to see if it would work. There was never any reason that to me sounded like a viable motive.

But I keep thinking something like that went on here: she tried various ways and this one (either deliberately or by accident) ended up with fatalities. Perhaps we’re even looking at ricin, and not mushrooms or nightshade.

The castor bean case is here:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member