GUILTY Australia - Aiia Masarwe, 21, Israeli exchange student, murdered, Melbourne, Jan 2019 *ARREST*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Nearly a third of Victorians feel unsafe walking around their neighbourhood or using the state’s public transport system after dark, a new report reveals.

The conversation about public safety has been catapulted to the forefront of the Victorian psyche by the murder of 21-year-old international student, Aya Maasarwe, as she walked home from her local tram stop in Melbourne’s north last Tuesday night.

Last year 22-year-old Eurydice Dixon was just a few hundred metres from her flat in Carlton North when she was raped and murdered in the early hours of June 13.
Victorians feel less safe walking home

It's funny how they perpetuate this African Gangs nonsense when the real reason women are scared are because of the Sean Price, Adrian Bayley, Jaymes Todd and Codey Herrmann's of the world. Not to mention all the lower level stalking, flashing, verbal abuse and frotteurism that occurs in public in broad daylight with witnesses and CCTV.

It's funny how they perpetuate this African Gangs nonsense when the real reason women are scared are because of the Sean Price, Adrian Bayley, Jaymes Todd and Codey Herrmann's of the world. Not to mention all the lower level stalking, flashing, verbal abuse and frotteurism that occurs in public in broad daylight with witnesses and CCTV.

I don't like ANY violence, but you can't pretend there aren't large gangs of youths attacking and robbing people. I don't give a damn what their background is, it's unacceptable.

True. But it's not just women who walk around scared at night. Don't forget men are also targeted, and quite often by these gangs.. try as you might, you can't deny they exist.

Back to the case at hand. What i find most frightening about this is that she was on the phone to her sister and in touch with her fellow student friends via WhatsApp. Something many women do when they're travelling home at night to 'keep safe'. Same with Jill Meagher when she was talking to her brother on the phone.

I think that's a mistake that women make. They believe that because they are talking to someone, no one will bother them because they'll be able to tell the person on the phone what is happening. The reality is that because they are on the phone, they are not aware of their surroundings and they are easier targets.

I think that's a mistake that women make. They believe that because they are talking to someone, no one will bother them because they'll be able to tell the person on the phone what is happening. The reality is that because they are on the phone, they are not aware of their surroundings and they are easier targets.

I agree that it’s a dangerous notion to think someone with bad intent will have the manners to leave you alone if you are on a phone call or to think being on the phone you are with someone.

......she waits behind for a moment, begins to look at her phone, and continues walking.

Ms Meagher's brother in Perth had a two-minute phone call from her at 1.43am, discussing their father's illness.
https://www.smh.com.au/national/search-for-man-who-spoke-to-jill-meagher-20120926-26khr.html

Do you know what's crazy? We are told all the time, in Australia, about how dangerous the world is, not to venture out into it.. don't travel. Don't live overseas. Don't take the risk...

I love Australia, I LOVE it, but the safest I've ever felt? When I lived in London for almost 3 years. I could tell guys to f*#k off when they cat called me, because there were always people around. I had one scary experience, and reported it, and it was followed up straight away (not criticising cops here, who I think are incredible.. the judges, not so much). I regularly walked home late at night, on my own, not even worried.. obviously it is mainly because of the amount of people there, everywhere I walked was high density residential, but come on Australia, you're killing me. Far out. Why am I looking over my shoulder here, and not in London? I know the stats in London for this would be dire, but come on. When you question your children for leaving, think of this. London feels safer.

I think she would have been murdered regardless of if she was on the phone or not, though.

Her mistake here was going out and enjoying life. Very bad mistake to make. I think if she had of stayed home, wrapped in cotton wool with triple dead locked doors, then she might still be alive today.

I don't like ANY violence, but you can't pretend there aren't large gangs of youths attacking and robbing people. I don't give a damn what their background is, it's unacceptable.

They're certainly not as prevalent as what is being made out in the media. You could go your whole life without being robbed by a "gang of youths" but you certainly won't go your whole life without being flashed/sexually harrassed/sexually assaulted in public. Statistically I know which is more likely to happen if you're female. If it hasn't already!

So far no woman i know has been targeted by "gangs of youths" (not saying it hasn't happened to people, not the point i'm trying to make) but almost every woman i know can report at least one incident of public sexual violence or harassment against her. Even as far as anecdotes go that should be pretty alarming to people.

Do you know what's crazy? We are told all the time, in Australia, about how dangerous the world is, not to venture out into it.. don't travel. Don't live overseas. Don't take the risk...

I love Australia, I LOVE it, but the safest I've ever felt? When I lived in London for almost 3 years. I could tell guys to f*#k off when they cat called me, because there were always people around. I had one scary experience, and reported it, and it was followed up straight away (not criticising cops here, who I think are incredible.. the judges, not so much). I regularly walked home late at night, on my own, not even worried.. obviously it is mainly because of the amount of people there, everywhere I walked was high density residential, but come on Australia, you're killing me. Far out. Why am I looking over my shoulder here, and not in London? I know the stats in London for this would be dire, but come on. When you question your children for leaving, think of this. London feels safer.

Australia has a weird, dark vibe about it.

The thing that actually makes me most scared about walking around in Australia? The number of mentally ill people who receive no or inadequate treatment. People who don't get seen in the public system until they're full blown psychotic. That's not okay. As a first world country we need to be treating mental illness seriously. Not when someone is so sick they're a threat to others or themselves.

I think she would have been murdered regardless of if she was on the phone or not, though.

Her mistake here was going out and enjoying life. Very bad mistake to make. I think if she had of stayed home, wrapped in cotton wool with triple dead locked doors, then she might still be alive today.

Opportunistic crimes typically happen because the victim appears vulnerable. A woman talking on the phone is oblivious to sounds and movements that surround her in the same way that talking on the phone while driving leads to accidents. People who are alert to their surroundings have a much better chance of survival than people who are distracted with earbuds or cellphones.

Opportunistic crimes typically happen because the victim appears vulnerable. A woman talking on the phone is oblivious to sounds and movements that surround her in the same way that talking on the phone while driving leads to accidents. People who are alert to their surroundings have a much better chance of survival than people who are distracted with earbuds or cellphones.

So NOT because there's a drugged psycho lurking the streets intent on getting his kicks from murdering and raping an innocent person?

Again, Aiia would have 'appeared vulnerable' to this dweeb regardless of whether or not she was on the phone.

So NOT because there's a drugged psycho lurking the streets intent on getting his kicks from murdering and raping an innocent person?

Again, Aiia would have 'appeared vulnerable' to this dweeb regardless of whether or not she was on the phone.

What I hear you saying is that regardless of what women do to protect themselves and be mindful of their surroundings, they cannot do anything to improve their safety.

Sorry to sound stupid but stats for what in particular?
I have to say, I never felt unsafe when I was travelling around and working in London.
It's been a surprise to me reading on this site about how unsafe people feel in Australia. It's just not how I imagined it to be there and I think it would surprise a lot of people.

They're certainly not as prevalent as what is being made out in the media. You could go your whole life without being robbed by a "gang of youths" but you certainly won't go your whole life without being flashed/sexually harrassed/sexually assaulted in public. Statistically I know which is more likely to happen if you're female. If it hasn't already!

So far no woman i know has been targeted by "gangs of youths" (not saying it hasn't happened to people, not the point i'm trying to make) but almost every woman i know can report at least one incident of public sexual violence or harassment against her. Even as far as anecdotes go that should be pretty alarming to people.

I don't want to get off topic as this thread is about Aiia, but I can show you numerous terrifying videos and interviews and articles from victims of this (and my partner and I had to run for our lives one night when a group of about 20 of them spotted us and began running at us shouting). Look up videos on Youtube and tell me if you think that's fine. It IS a big problem, and it DOES make me feel as unsafe as does hearing about rape and murder of young women. It's not about 'this crime is worse than that crime so let's pretend that crime isn't happening for the sake of being PC'. It's ALL unacceptable. We deserve a free and safe society where all participants get along and be kind to each other regardless of their background.

I don't want to get off topic as this thread is about Aiia, but I can show you numerous terrifying videos and interviews and articles from victims of this (and my partner and I had to run for our lives one night when a group of about 20 of them spotted us and began running at us shouting). Look up videos on Youtube and tell me if you think that's fine. It IS a big problem, and it DOES make me feel as unsafe as does hearing about rape and murder of young women. It's not about 'this crime is worse than that crime so let's pretend that crime isn't happening for the sake of being PC'. It's ALL unacceptable. We deserve a free and safe society where all participants get along and be kind to each other regardless of their background.

One is statistically more likely to occur than the other. It's just fact.

Terrorist attacks are also scary and devastating but they're rare. Doesn't mean there aren't victims of them and their experiences don't matter.

I'd say for most women out and about in Melbourne it's not group violence that is on top of their list of things to be fearful of. Doesn't mean you personally aren't fearful.

One is statistically more likely to occur than the other. It's just fact.

Terrorist attacks are also scary and devastating but they're rare. Doesn't mean there aren't victims of them and their experiences don't matter.

I'd say for most women out and about in Melbourne it's not group violence that is on top of their list of things to be fearful of. Doesn't mean you personally aren't fearful.

Statistically there has only been 3 rape/murder crimes in Vic in the past 6 or so years, and 3 terror related incidents. African gang related crime has been almost a weekly occurrence, sometimes they will hit many houses in a single night. But yes, let's pretend it's insignificant until it happens to you and your family. I'm done with this convo, can we please get back on topic?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alicat3
Back