Australia - Allison Baden-Clay, 43, Brisbane QLD, 19 April 2012 - #10

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sim card starter kits are very cheap in Australia. People involved in drugs and other crime use multiple sim cards. All one has to do is purchase a starter kit for $2 or $3, which already has a mobile number attached to the sim card in the starter kit. Then all one needs to do is telephone the given provider on a specific number provided to activate the card. Then it is only a matter of 'topping up' that mobile number with extra credit, available from phone shop agencies or even some ATMs. Once all the credit is used, unless topped up, the sim and the phone won't work. Someone random likely did not want this sim and threw it away as it had no more credit or it was lost. Info would be abe to accessed but putting the sim through a telco process or copying it to (again by telco process) onto another phone.
Even so, going by Aussie standards, you can be traced I would image. Or at least the 'owner' of the sim can. I thought you still had to provide ID a name and address even with a starter kit or a prepaid.

Since 1997, the Determination has provided for a point-of-sale process that requires CSPs to collect information about purchasers of pre-paid services at the time the service is purchased, prior to its activation. CSPs are then required, for all purchases made other than by credit or debit card, to verify the person’s identity by viewing identifying documents such as passports or birth certificates.

http://www.acma.gov.au/WEB/STANDARD..PC/pc=PC_100565

Hi everyone, last night I had dinner with a friend who I only see once a year. She told me one of her good friends spoke to Allison B-C at the school on the Thursday 19th April, during the cross country. That night she drove past the B-C house and looked up the driveway and saw 2 people putting something into the back of the white Prado. She did wonder what they were doing at 11 pm at night. When she heard the reports on the Friday morning of Allison going missing she contacted the police straight away. I know this is second-hand info but I was pretty shocked! Wonder if it is true?
Also spoke to the person who told me the lawyer was there on the Friday morning when the police arrived, asked him how the lawyer would get there from the gold coast as such a long way. Turns out it was a local lawyer, a friend of GB-C, the gold coast lawyer was hired later in the day.
GB-C normally wears his sunnies when he is at the school and puts his head down and texts/reads his mobile, Thursday and Friday he had no sunnies on, didn't see his phone and he was chatting and smiling. I guess it is better for the girls if GB-C starts acting "normally". The Brookie Show has lifted the communities spirit, the kids are all so excited. It doesn't mean anyone is forgetting about Allison, it is just good to not have so much tension around for a few days.
Is it definite that it was around 11pm and not earlier, if it was earlier would it not be possible that 2 people (meaning ABC and GBC) were taking something *out* of the car instead of putting something in...Also was the lady a passenger in the car when she looked up the driveway as I feel it is not something one would normally do driving alone late at night...Just wondering...

I don't know what sort of weather you had back in late April...but what if everything was covered in early morning dew...EXCEPT FOR THE CARS??? that would certainly worry any cop with a sharp eye

Even so, going by Aussie standards, you can be traced I would image. Or at least the 'owner' of the sim can. I thought you still had to provide ID a name and address even with a starter kit or a prepaid.

Since 1997, the Determination has provided for a point-of-sale process that requires CSPs to collect information about purchasers of pre-paid services at the time the service is purchased, prior to its activation. CSPs are then required, for all purchases made other than by credit or debit card, to verify the person’s identity by viewing identifying documents such as passports or birth certificates.

http://www.acma.gov.au/WEB/STANDARD..PC/pc=PC_100565

Yes, you do have to provide all identity details when activating a pre paid sim card, including a date of birth, with the telco. At least here one has to with Telstra.

I still don't understand why the funeral was broadcast. I don't begrudge it, I just thought it was unusual.

Not sure how to post a link but I googled the cool down time for a car and it said an hour.....any experts wanting to add to this?

perhaps the cooling down of the engine and ANY other part under the bonnet is well and trully done in an hour or so. im no expert and im sure the police who attended the initial call wouldn't be either but it was an excellent 'outside the square' point.
however it did lead me to think that wasn't that coolant that people have noticed dripping from the captiva (or whatever it was) from those photos fresh??

im no expert on mechanics but if a car had not been used for say 12+ hours would it not have stopped leaking several hours before and had time to dry as such??
havent quite a few people on this forum commented that these leaks were fresh??

I thought the majority of leakage of anything from a car generally happened as soon as the car had been turned off and stopped soon after or certainly within a reasonably short time after the car is stationary.

Wonder when those photos were taken by the QPS??

I honestly believe the police would have been way ahead of us on this one !

I will guarantee you that the police are way ahead of everyone on here on everything.
Believe it or not, detectives are not stupid people.

We drive a Prado and my husband got home at 3.30 and the bonnet is still a teeny bit warm (that's an hour and a half). It is really cold out this way at night though - so that might be a factor too.

He had been driving for around an hour.

Also possible that, the Prado had been driven later than 4.30 am. on that morning......one never knows 'GBC may have been driving around looking for Allison'. IMO.

Fair call on the arrest timing and respect all opinions. The point I raised earlier which had been raised with me earlier and I thought was an interesting one, as I know for a fact the welfare of the children's mental state will be a huge priority right now for the authorites, if indeed their father is on the 'radar'.
However the other point to the post was simply to ask the likes of hawkins or dark shadow "even if the QPS wanted to delay an arrest, CAN THEY"?
is this even possible in our legal or legislative system??

An arrest is neither here nor there. The charge and indictment are what counts. Both can be done without arrest. An arrest is to place someone in custody. For more serious offences a person is detained in a watchouse and must be brought before a court as soon as reasonably possible so that they can apply for bail, as is their right. Bail is sometimes given in homicide cases, it depends on the extent to which the accused is considered a flight risk or a danger to others. It also depends on the strength of the prosecution evidence and how ready the prosecution is for court. If the evidence is not that strong then bail is more likely. Bail for accused person's in this matter would be an emotive issue.

So the decision to arrest a person depends on the decision to indict. That decision is made by the DPP, no the QPS, as the DPP manage the prosecution for these more serious offences. The QPS team will need to collate all the relevant evidence then send it to the DPP, where senior staff will determine whether an indictment should be drawn. That decision will be informed by the likelihood of success (given that they have only one chance) and the public interest (meaning not how interested the public are but in the need to bring the matter to trial to protect the community and to have a legal resoltuion). There can also be significant communication between the DPP and defence lawyers. If intention is proving hard to establish then the negotiations about a plea of guilty to manslaughter can be protracted. If there are multiple accused then that becomes even more complex as each lawyer tries to achieve the best outcome for their respective client.

If a bail application is unsuccessful then the charged person will be taken to the remand and reception centre where they may well remain until trial. Where there are multiple accused, some may be granted bail and others not.

As to the welfare of children and timing of an arrest. The QPS cannot really structure people's lives and movements to suit them. Neither is it best practice to telegraph timing execpt is some exceptional circumstances. If the DPP agrees that there is sufficient evidence to indict then an arrest is made when it suits the QPS. Many individual QPS members are profoundly sympathetic and heloful to families but systemically it's about law enforcement and not welfare. That is the job of other agencies who have that mission and training.

I don't know what sort of weather you had back in late April...but what if everything was covered in early morning dew...EXCEPT FOR THE CARS??? that would certainly worry any cop with a sharp eye

By 7:30-8:00 in the morning it will have mostly evaporated.
If police arrived at 6am maybe.

Also possible that, despite being denied, the Prado had been driven later than 4.30 am.

If I was claiming my wife had gone for a walk and not returned, my first step (after calling local family/friends) would be to drive her regular circuit to see if she was out talking to someone or involved in an accident.

I still don't understand why the funeral was broadcast. I don't begrudge it, I just thought it was unusual.

I think it was purely due to the high public interest in the case. I would assume that GBC and her parents would have had to approve it (?)

Hi everyone, last night I had dinner with a friend who I only see once a year. She told me one of her good friends spoke to Allison B-C at the school on the Thursday 19th April, during the cross country. That night she drove past the B-C house and looked up the driveway and saw 2 people putting something into the back of the white Prado. She did wonder what they were doing at 11 pm at night. When she heard the reports on the Friday morning of Allison going missing she contacted the police straight away. I know this is second-hand info but I was pretty shocked! Wonder if it is true?
Also spoke to the person who told me the lawyer was there on the Friday morning when the police arrived, asked him how the lawyer would get there from the gold coast as such a long way. Turns out it was a local lawyer, a friend of GB-C, the gold coast lawyer was hired later in the day.
GB-C normally wears his sunnies when he is at the school and puts his head down and texts/reads his mobile, Thursday and Friday he had no sunnies on, didn't see his phone and he was chatting and smiling. I guess it is better for the girls if GB-C starts acting "normally". The Brookie Show has lifted the communities spirit, the kids are all so excited. It doesn't mean anyone is forgetting about Allison, it is just good to not have so much tension around for a few days.
The first media reference I can find says he hired a lawyer on the 25th/26th April, he spoke for himself prior to that, he hired the Barrister (2nd lawyer) the day the body was found. Is there anything that shows otherwise?

Lots of shade from shrubery would prevent that. The condensation would have still been on the car closer to 9 - from my experience at this time of year.

I must have missed that post. Was this sighting different to the one that was stated in the media?

Strangeworld, I have actually read two different stories from the Media. One was that the cars were seen parked closely, outside the Anstead Shops (which would be the General store) on Mt Crosby Rd, and another where they were travelling closely and slowly near Kholo Bridge. I'm hoping that atleast two separate witnesses, have given these two separate accounts.The more the better.

Also just in addition to that...dew is not a given...sometimes when I leave my car out it will be half covered in dew, but cars on the street not at all...or the opposite.

I will guarantee you that the police are way ahead of everyone on here on everything.
Believe it or not, detectives are not stupid people.

Like in any profession, some detectives are better than others and some are stupid. Some are corrupt and some are incompetent. Mosty are people of integrity, hard working and highly comptetent. The most limiting factor in police investigation and problem solving is the highly structured nature of the processes. Investigation methods are quite rigid and prescribed. In the majority of cases that produces results in the most efficient way. Sometimes it results in a failure to solve a crime or to successfully prosecute. Sometimes it results in an innocent person being wrongly convicted. There is usually a strong social proscription against criticising police. The same applies, to a lesser degree, to nurses. It used to apply to teachers in past decades.

Having said that, the chances of this matter miscarrying due to inadequate police work or resourcing is probably low in my assessment. The current commissioner is one of the best in the business. It is true that detectives have probably covered almost all relevant angles and fields of inquiry, but they are not infallible and all knowing.

Yes, you do have to provide all identity details when activating a pre paid sim card, including a date of birth, with the telco. At least here one has to with Telstra.
I found that one out the hard way. Drove over my phone end of last year when backing out in a car park and the sim was okay, just the phone was bunk. Needed a mobile urgently to stay in touch with someone..... saw a prepaid $20 phone and sim special in one of those so called $2 shops which was for my service provider and because I paid cash, had to provide ID so used my drivers licence.

I didn't want the sim (chucked it in the shopping centre bin) or a new number, only wanted the el cheapo phone so I chucked the non activated sim away and put the sim in from the mobile I had driven over. (I keep telling myself I must buy a decent phone one of these days.)

Now it has me thinking. If someone found that non activated sim (under my name and address) and they activated it (with the provider the sim was for) that would then be listed as under my name and address eh...

Use it for a crime and then chuck it away and if there was nothing obviously incriminating upon investigation, noone would have a clue that it was actually used by some other person. As in, it would show that I was at certain locations but not the person who used it. It's all too far fetched... Still... geez... makes me think...

There's some sort of rule that you can only register 5 repaid sims (don't quote me) under your name. ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atriumproperties