Australia Australia Claremont Serial Killer, 1996 - 1997, Perth, Western Australia - #10

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you enjoy reading what "The Devil's Garden" book had to say about the actual, potential and perceived threats of retrospectively revisiting historical convictions and unsolved crimes, using newer DNA matching techniques?
Do you think the DNA evidence is flawed?

Do you think we should not use DNA just in case it is wrong somehow?

Could you or someone else please provide a link to where WAPOL has issued a formal statement saying that BRE's DNA is on each of the victims he has been charged over.

All I could find was media reports of what they claim the Police had allegedly told someone/the media, or leaked to someone or the media (via someone else).

I'm not saying that we should discount or ignore any deliberate, selective and officially sanctioned Police leaks to the media.

Just issuing a reader or viewer beware warning, not to unquestioningly believe what is written in media reports, without (as a minimum) the information being verified by an official and named source, who also goes on the record to personally verify what he/she has reportedly said/leaked.

Clearly you are very cautious about anything in the media and keen to make a clear distinction between information released by the media and police. Honestly, fair enough I say. We all know the media often take liberties with the truth. However, if we restrict our conversation to the information released by the police we wouldn't be having one. I think most people are aware not to take media reports as gospel but it does provide something to theorise over. I'd say whoever is the source talking to the post has proven to be at least on the ball if not totally accurate.

Could you or someone else please provide a link to where WAPOL has issued a formal statement saying that BRE's DNA is on each of the victims he has been charged over.

All I could find was media reports of what they claim the Police had allegedly told someone/the media, or leaked to someone or the media (via someone else).

I'm not saying that we should discount or ignore any deliberate, selective and officially sanctioned Police leaks to the media.

Just issuing a reader or viewer beware warning, not to unquestioningly believe what is written in media reports, without (as a minimum) the information being verified by an official and named source, who also goes on the record to personally verify what he/she has reportedly said/leaked.
Can you suggest a reasonable reason as to why BRE was not charged until after the DNA results had come back from his formal DNA test. According to multiple sources indeed WAPOL indicated initially a man had been taken into custody regarding the Macro case but had not been charged.

Can you explain to me why they would not charge him immediately unless they had DNA evidence to check his DNA against?
Then bang 12 hours later he is charged. What happened in that 12 hours?

This is from NewsCorp, if this is not correct I fully hope BRE takes NewsCorp to court immediately, he can use some of the money he wins to defend himself in court.

[FONT=&amp]Reportedly, in 1988 (8 years before Sarah Spiers was abducted), a white kimono was dropped by an intruder, who had broken into the home of a 18-year-old Huntingdale woman. The intruder had attempted to rape her, but her screams caused him to flee, and he dropped the kimono on his way out of the house. [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]This case was never solved, and the kimono was placed into evidence, where it's been sitting for the past 20 years. [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]The WA Police team, still working on the case after 20 years, tested all the old evidence with new technology, including the kimono.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]The DNA sample that came back matched with samples on the police database. It matched a sample that was found on Ciara Glennon's body, and another sample on a 17-year-old woman who was assaulted at the Karrakatta Cemetery in 1995.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Although the sample didn't give police a name, News Corp says the breakthrough resulted in the arrest of Kewdale man Bradley Robert Edwards in a matter of weeks. [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]He gave a DNA sample immediately after his arrest, and positive results came back within 12 hours, at which point he was formally charged. [/FONT]

Does anyone on here believe BRE is 100% guilty?

I don't, because obviously, we have not seen all the evidence.
Most important thing is that all killers and rapists are off the streets, whoever they are, I am sure all reasonable Western Australians would agree.

can anyone please point in the direction of which thread the link was put up that showed where BRE purchased a gps unit in the UK. Can't seem to locate it now. thanks in advance

Does anyone on here believe BRE is 100% guilty?

I don't, because obviously, we have not seen all the evidence.
Most important thing is that all killers and rapists are off the streets, whoever they are, I am sure all reasonable Western Australians would agree.

high probability. hoping there are no technical hitches that can throw out a conviction.

New article new name dropped-a neighbour who coincidentally seem to be an IT expert it seems.

http://postnewspapers.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/070117.pdf

Coincidentally, the Floreat IT expert fully named on today's Post Newspaper front page in relation to the 1988 theft ofwomen’s clothing from hiswashing line when he lived in Huntingdale, appears to have a current job of
[h=4]
Computer Expert Witness
[/h]Expert Witness services in criminal cases under State and Federal prosecutions.

- Analyse the prosecution brief and prosecution evidence, check it for completeness and accuracy, and write an expert report for Prosecution and Defence counsel
- Perform computer forensic analysis of computers, phones, and cameras
- Attend court, listen to prosecution evidence, and advise counsel of any issues. Suggest cross-examination points
- Give evidence

ABN 60 811 745 272
Main Business Location: WA 6014 (Floreat)

This is from NewsCorp, if this is not correct I fully hope BRE takes NewsCorp to court immediately, he can use some of the money he wins to defend himself in court.

I understand the DNA sample taken at time of arrest was a due course process required relative to certain types of crimes. I suppose we will find out soon enough what the defense team will be basing their defence on.

http://postnewspapers.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/070117.pdf

Coincidentally, the Floreat IT expert fully named on today's Post Newspaper front page in relation to the 1988 theft ofwomen’s clothing from hiswashing line when he lived in Huntingdale, appears to have a current job of

Computer Expert Witness

Expert Witness services in criminal cases under State and Federal prosecutions.

- Analyse the prosecution brief and prosecution evidence, check it for completeness and accuracy, and write an expert report for Prosecution and Defence counsel
- Perform computer forensic analysis of computers, phones, and cameras
- Attend court, listen to prosecution evidence, and advise counsel of any issues. Suggest cross-examination points
- Give evidence

ABN 60 811 745 272
Main Business Location: WA 6014 (Floreat)

that now crosses him off the list of potential expert witness does it not !

Someone posted an excerpt from DM book. She claims CSK took KK victim's clothes and left her on the ground in the cemetery. At this stage there's no reason to believe this is inaccurate.

So;

He took a kimino just prior to Huntingdale
He took KK's clothes
He took some souvenirs from both JR and CG

What does he do with them? Has he kept them?

I wonder if the search of Madora was more about souvenirs rather than SS body?

You'd have to think police are searching for those items. Anyone know if Acton Rd has been taken apart yet? Ceiling space, wall cavities, crawl space etc? Anyone seen any of the search teams with a metal detector in the back yard?

I wonder if police have checked for a storage facility. If he was taking souvenirs he might need somwhere to keep them. The ultimate compartmentalisation - keep his family life and his secrets separate.

Clearly you are very cautious about anything in the media and keen to make a clear distinction between information released by the media and police. Honestly, fair enough I say. We all know the media often take liberties with the truth. However, if we restrict our conversation to the information released by the police we wouldn't be having one. I think most people are aware not to take media reports as gospel but it does provide something to theorise over. I'd say whoever is the source talking to the post has proven to be at least on the ball if not totally accurate.
allegedly
I do believe there has been no mention of a DNA link between BRE and JR. The only know link publicly are the upholstery fibres connected to a VS Series 1 Commodore found on the remains of JR.

Makes me consider they have traced BRE connection to said vehicle or could it be injuries inflicted upon CG tie in with those inflicted upon JR ?

allegedly
I do believe there has been no mention of a DNA link between BRE and JR. The only know link publicly are the upholstery fibres connected to a VS Series 1 Commodore found on the remains of JR.

Makes me consider they have traced BRE connection to said vehicle or could it be injuries inflicted upon CG tie in with those inflicted upon JR ?

I have been wondering the same thing. I've heard nothing about DNA on JR either. Perhaps there was a particular signature that was withheld by police that linked those two crimes. Otherwise it opens up the defence of copping to the 88 and 95 assaults but claiming something consensual with CG.

Very Keen to see any / all of those you tube videos.....I am intrigued

- did BRE upload
- Did a family member upload
- Did someone with knowledge other than BRE upload
- Was it uploaded by a "partner in crime" as a warning
- Was it a deliberate upload by WAPOL
- Was it uploaded by a yet to named suspect (i.e not BRE)
- Was it uploaded by just a troll

Intriguing.

Given the amount of development in Perth, and the time frame since SS, I find that hard to believe.

Places that were once bush, now have houses and parks etc.

I think he went to a lot of effort hiding the first one, and then got complacent.

I don't think he got complacent, I think he got a lot bolder, part of the thrill, and also feel part of him wanted the girls to be found. The power and control thing, "look what I did, and right under your noses, coppers!" And everyone was looking at someone else for it LW, so who's going to blame him? Also there has to be at least 3 victims, or so I understand, to "qualify" as a serial killer? WAPOL started saying CSK after Ciara was discovered, if my memory serves me well. How can you have that pride/power if nobody knows what you've done? Maybe SS wasn't buried, maybe she was left in the same discarded way, he didn't try to cover KK whom it would seem he thought he'd killed?
Twisted logic, but we are dealing with a very twisted mind here. Wonder how he developed this way. And yes his family are also victims in all this. Let's pray they get some wonderful on-going counselling, particularly his loyal step daughter.

Oops, thank you was meant to be to the person who sent BF username.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No problem Hillsgirl, I don't know if it is BRE but it had been mentioned earlier on this forum as well as BF forum that it was him. It would have been interesting if it had been the individual who sent you pics.

that now crosses him off the list of potential expert witness does it not !
5c12165f2e7919d2235aea341ef59b55.jpg
It certainly gives the defence an avenue to object to him giving expert testimony. Bias. My guess it that the Defence will attack on chain of custody issues previously reported in this same newspaper.

Sent from my HTC 2PQ910 using Tapatalk

allegedly

one poster here said he was fussy with cable ties, maybe used the same technique to restrain his victims

Do you think the DNA evidence is flawed?

Do you think we should not use DNA just in case it is wrong somehow?

No DNA evidence has yet been presented to Judge or Jury in a Court of Law.
I have nothing concrete more to say about the DNA in this case , except that any useable DNA will greatly assist in ensuring that justice is served in these and many other crimes.

My other point about the DNA is that there is reportedly some resistance to the use of DNA for historical cases. Resistant that could hinder criminal investigations, prosecutions, and the freeing of innocent victims, convicted for crimes they did not commit.

Personally, I would rather see innocent victims of false convictions freed, and criminals who got away with murder, convicted, even if it means the taxpayers have to fund massive compensation payouts, and legal and police professional reputations at ruined, and any uncovered along the way corrupt or criminal behaviour, is harshly dealt with as a both a punishment and a deterrent.

Clearly you are very cautious about anything in the media
Yes

and keen to make a clear distinction between information released by the media and police. Honestly, fair enough I say.
Oui

We all know the media often take liberties with the truth.

However, if we restrict our conversation to the information released by the police we wouldn't be having one. I think most people are aware not to take media reports as gospel but it does provide something to theorise over. I'd say whoever is the source talking to the post has proven to be at least on the ball if not totally accurate.
Agreed.
Just proposing that conversation be qualified a little more at times. (Myself included).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CP95