Australia Australia Claremont Serial Killer, 1996 - 1997, Perth, Western Australia - #12

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Esets - thanks for sharing. Do we know what type of remains?[/QUOTE]

No idea I'm afraid - there's at least 3 degrees of separation between me and the sibling-in-law if the information is even slightly true, so it could all just be chinese whispers.

[/QUOTE] Thanks again for sharing, certainly something to think about.

attachment.php
attachment.php

I uploaded a paint type programme and spent a few hours trying to learn how to do it (without instructions, I am a bear of little brain) then I uploaded BRE familiar photo and messed around with it putting more hair on him, slimming his face of course, and taking out his wrinkles. My husband came in and was watching me and said "Why are you making that bloke look like a film star?" LOL. I think he looks like Liberace (even before my time but I think everyone knows him, camp as a row of tents as my Dad used to say!) May just give a bit of an impression how he might have looked way back when, could have presented quite well from the driver's seat with a nice quiet demeanor and gentle smile. (Pause as flesh crawls).

I just had a close look at your pictures lamp. Thanks for the effort but I'm totally gutted after all these years to find out the CSK was my nanna.

IN January 28 2016 an interesting article appeared in the West Australian Newspaper over the Australia Day weekend, entitled "Forensic Science helps Police close in on killer ".
The article mentions extra resources being swung over to the Macro investigation ,and advancements in famial DNA, before ending with the ominous warning "police may be reluctant to say it, but the net does appear to be closing around the Claremont Serial Killer.
It seems likely WAPOL had BRE firmly in their sights at this time, and that the West Australian was working in with police re the timing, and content of this milestone article.
I think this close level of co- operation has continued between WAPOL and the States only newspaper to the extent that the newspaper has agreed to not publish in depth background research on BREs history, part time jobs, and old photographs detailing his appearance in the 90s. until given the go ahead.
The payoff for the newspaper in future will no doubt be an " exclusive " story regarding hitherto unknown aspects of the case .

I don't believe WAPOL have any special relationship with The West any more than they do with any other news media.

The West's article was really catching up with what the Post newspaper had already reported back in October 2015.

The Post newspaper has really been on top of the Claremont Serial Killing matter and The West has simply played catch-up, in many articles actually reporting what the Post newspaper has claimed.

The Post's articles were probably well meaning and designed to inform, but they may have been counter-productive IF they have led to evidence being destroyed.

Up until 2015, the alleged CSK would have believed they were teflon, until they read the Post.

The Post appears to have an "on the job" source.

If the information was deliberately leaked, it would as you know, only have happened if WAPOL already had the alleged CSK under observation as far back as October 2015, which appears unlikely.

If not, I suspect WAPOL have been really annoyed by the articles (as they could have compromised the investigation) and professional standards is probably taking an interest in the Post's sources.

I just had a close look at your pictures lamp. Thanks for the effort but I'm totally gutted after all these years to find out the CSK was my nanna.

You Ratbag! LOL, I'm sure your nanna is much prettier!:happydance:

I don't believe WAPOL have any special relationship with The West any more than they do with any other news media.

The West's article was really catching up with what the Post newspaper had already reported back in October 2015.

The Post newspaper has really been on top of the Claremont Serial Killing matter and The West has simply played catch-up, in many articles actually reporting what the Post newspaper has claimed.

The Post's articles were probably well meaning and designed to inform, but they may have been counter-productive IF they have led to evidence being destroyed.

Up until 2015, the alleged CSK would have believed they were teflon, until they read the Post.

The Post appears to have an "on the job" source.

If the information was deliberately leaked, it would as you know, only have happened if WAPOL already had the alleged CSK under observation as far back as October 2015, which appears unlikely.

If not, I suspect WAPOL have been really annoyed by the articles (as they could have compromised the investigation) and professional standards is probably taking an interest in the Post's sources.

I agree. The post have been all over this case. Far more information has come from them than any other media outlet. I'd love to know who their source is. Being a smaller publication I started to wonder if the police had developed some kind of reciprocal arrangement with them to publish things they wanted published. I dropped that idea when I looked back through the posts stories on the case. A number of them are actually quite scathing on the police. Whoever the source is seems to have both inside knowledge and an axe to grind.

Going off track - but here's some pics of Ciara's d-site that I took early in 2016. Not really adding any extra info, just thought out-of-towners may appreciate seeing the area and scrub bush up close.

e0e1e95bde1c29a7c84838cd182e834d.jpg

4be3796cefaf1357126e4fa81e8d0925.jpg

a74a77cdadc49f1fd476868df44fa5be.jpg

a30bf789a2b94e805f9f25d04c330196.jpg

ab781cbf2dc592229edb04e32f21efba.jpg

Thanks for the pics Spook. Definitely gives a much better feel for the area than the aerial or google shots do. I see you took them in early 2016 so you have at least a relatively long term interest in the case. Don't take this the wrong way, I'm not trying to sleuth a sleuth here but I noticed you joined WS less than a month back. Were you posting on another site previously or under a previous name on WS? If so I'd like to read back on your posts. I might find another gem like the arnott's saga!

More of my pics from early 2016 of Ciara's d-site....

492778303a1989af8495d6dea3ea1b67.jpg

045a0fb0e3d3b788ee16a09b55e1b87d.jpg

2dd3722ed915c8a777847349edbb2c3d.jpg

50b1c0bc0c616561f17900bb0549e7d6.jpg

28eb0052f205a684afeea252140cda59.jpg

Note: last pic showing (possibly) kangaroo bones.....

RIP Ciara
Hi Spooks do you have any other photos or short videos that maybe you could edit together and put them to music. I suggest maybe the One Eyed Dolls might help show the isolation and eeriness of that site.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Originally Posted by Spooks-R-Us More of my pics from early 2016 of Ciara's d-site....
Thanks for the photos showing where CG was found. It looks like pretty heavy duty scub, would not only be difficult to transport a body here but also pretty difficult to find one too. This is very typical of Australian bush areas. Maybe this is why SS has not been found. It may not be that he took more care to hide her.
Also I initially thought there was some coincidence with some of the missing girls attending Iona, now I'm not so sure. Reason being if he was hunting in a certain area, then the girls he took would most likely have attended the most local school. Although, Iona seems to have had quite few girls over the years who have disappeared, where as the high school I attended I don't remember not even one person going missing.

More of my pics from early 2016 of Ciara's d-site....

492778303a1989af8495d6dea3ea1b67.jpg

045a0fb0e3d3b788ee16a09b55e1b87d.jpg

2dd3722ed915c8a777847349edbb2c3d.jpg

50b1c0bc0c616561f17900bb0549e7d6.jpg

28eb0052f205a684afeea252140cda59.jpg

Note: last pic showing (possibly) kangaroo bones.....

RIP Ciara
Is this hard to find? Have you been to JR site? And have you any places where you have thought SS may be and been to?

RETPI
user-offline.png
... Up until 2015, the alleged CSK would have believed they were teflon, until they read the Post....

Spinnaker
Agree that the Post really has been ahead of the game in relation to information released to the public (regardless of source). I really do hope that it did not affect the investigation.

I would however like to make a general comment in relation to WAPOL's media strategy - my view is that WAPOL have been misguided in the untimely manner in which they have released information to the public - particularly in the release of the MM video.

See at 40:30 of below link whereby the Officer states that the reason they did not release the MM video is that they did not want to focus the attention of the public just on MM.

I seriously believe that WAPOL got it wrong in this instance and IMO MM is indeed the CSK - they effectively held back crucial information which could have assisted the public in identifying the CSK.

It really is time now for WAPOL to trust the public and release further information - as they really did get it wrong with the MM video.

IMO, it would be very helpful if some photos or info could now be released in relation to the accused (around the time of the murders and disappearances) - this would help the public identify with memories and come forward with information. For example one of my family members thinks the accused looks familiar from her uni days (Curtin & UWA) - would be good to see some photos.

I say this as someone who really respects the police force and their very difficult job at hand, however feel they have been misguided in media/pr decisions in relation to the public - poor media advise.

I think the post have published information in relation to the case because they have really cared about this issue (effectively in their back yard) as do we all - particularly those who live and have grown up in the area. We have all waited a long time to get to this point where there has been an arrest. I can only imagine how hard it is for the families.

[video=youtube;4UzlYaa2D4w]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UzlYaa2D4w[/video]

He asked to be referred to as the red emperor a few days back. He said it was in honour of a botched police investigation. Not sure if he meant the CSK or Julie Cutler case.

Sure was botched culminated in the Past Misconduct Inquiry into WA Police. Red Emporer ended with the death of a protected witness found naked in a very strange position but didn't warrant a coroners inquiry. Just more of the same old same old.

10) Between 25 May 1995 and 28 May 1995, Sergeant Allen Kitchener Thompson from the WPU obtained, using a different chassis and engine number to that of 9BZ30531, a further set of Western Australian vehicle registration plates being 9CG937. These were registered in a different name, address and date of birth to
28 Indemnity from Prosecution for Mr Petrelis dated 10 February 1995, signed by Mr Petrelis on 11 February 1995, ACC Barcode 68111 29 The cannabis had, at that time, been substituted for grass clippings as part of a joint National Crime Authority, Australian Federal Police and WAPS operation 30 Memorandum of Understanding between WAPS and Mr Petrelis dated 25 May 1995. (Not included as attachment due to sensitivity of documentation) 31 9BZ305, and the name Andrew Parker remained on the police computer system. These details were never entered onto the Western Australia Police computer system.

11) Mr Petrelis was also under the WPP relocated from Perth to Queensland until such time as he was required to provide evidence at trial concerning the conspiracy charges against Mr Kizon and Mr Rippingale. Mr Petrelis' vehicle was transported by road on a carrier truck from Perth to Queensland on 22 May 1995 and on 28 May 1995 he took a commercial flight to Queensland accompanied by Sergeant Thompson. The Sergeant arranged temporary accommodation for Mr Petrelis who shortly after established himself permanently at Unit 6 Windrider Units, Leichardt Street, Golden Beach, Caloundra.

12) On arrival of the vehicle 9BZ305 in Queensland, Sergeant Thompson changed the registration plates to 9CG937. The registration details of 9BZ305 and the name Andrew Parker were not changed or deleted however, on the Western Australia police computer. The vehicle was to be re-registered in Queensland however did not comply with that state’s transport guidelines33.

13) On 11 September 1995, Mr Petrelis’ deceased body was discovered at his home address by Queensland Police. The cause of death was adjudged to be opiate toxicity34. On 27 November 1996, the Director-General, Department of Justice, Brisbane, decided, upon the recommendation of the Coroner, that the holding of an inquest into the death of Mr Petrelis was unnecessary35.

14) In November 1999, Mr Kizon and Mr Rippingale appeared in the District Court on the charge of conspiracy to possess 20 kilograms of cannabis with intent to supply or sell. The charge was not substantiated and both Mr Rippingale and Mr Kizon were acquitted

the reason they did not release the MM video is that they did not want to focus the attention of the public just on MM.

My theory on this, is that like now, with WAPOL not YET providing the public and media with photos of BRE in his younger days,
they do not want to focus the attention of the public just on BRE.

This is IMO, on the basis that there are many other unsolved murders, disappearances, rapes, assaults, stalkers
and many other potential murderers, rapists and stalkers out there that might be likely to be reported, charged, convicted or just stopped in their tracks,
if victims or victims friends & families, are willing to come forward to WAPOL to report what happened or what they saw or experienced.

Maybe, (pure speculation) since the arrest of BRE, WAPOL have had a number of reports of someone that looked like BRE, offering them lifts (somewhere in WA) in a car like one he had access to, and consider that from this, they have more than enough evidence or star witnesses, for their case, at this point in time.

Some photos of him from the mid 90s might certainly trigger some memories. If they exist I find it hard to believe we haven't seen them already for exactly that reason. If police want the further info they've requested and they had such a photo I'm sure we'd have seen it somehow. While I realise that the 90s weren't a time with today's curse of people pouting into their own phones and posting the results on Facebook as if anyone gives a toss, there were still enough people taking photos at birthdays and weddings etc. If there's a complete lack of photos from this period it'd be unusual. A deliberate attempt to avoid them for some reason you'd think. If that reason is related the criminal activity then there's either witnesses who've seen something he's worried about or he's ultra cautious or paranoid.

For the WA police to release a photo of him from that time, they would have to obtain them from friends and family who agreed to having them published in the media. Copyright law applies even in this circumstance. Relatives and friends might be cajoled into handing them over so police can use them in their investigations (with other witnesses etc) but that doesn't mean they would grant permission to the media to display them. Facebook images are public domain and the media can display these without permission as they are for editorial purposes. Seems like family are keeping things close to their chest, but I'm surprised acquaintances haven't released images to the media. But maybe he didn't have many friends...?

I agree. The post have been all over this case. Far more information has come from them than any other media outlet. I'd love to know who their source is. Being a smaller publication I started to wonder if the police had developed some kind of reciprocal arrangement with them to publish things they wanted published. I dropped that idea when I looked back through the posts stories on the case. A number of them are actually quite scathing on the police. Whoever the source is seems to have both inside knowledge and an axe to grind.

I've just finished reading 'The Devil's Garden', Debi Marshall's book about this case.

And in there, she quotes police as saying that they share alot more info with the WA media regarding this case than they do with the public. But that the understanding is that the media then only publishes the elements of it that are 'okayed' for public consumption by WAPOL.

A police source she speaks to implies that The Post 'betrayed' this agreement and has revealed more than WAPOL would have liked them too.

Consequently, The Post sounds like no friend of WAPOL. But it also seems like what The Post has published may indeed all be credible.

Yes, but there is one other factor that makes me wonder this was planned more than we might like to think. All the girls looked alike, which would indicate that he had selected and stalked them earlier in the night and then played the knight in shining armour when he followed them as they left the hotel/club alone? I'm not saying he necessarily had a conversation with all of them,(maybe he deliberately caught their eye at the bar and just gave them a wink or a smile) perhaps he did blitz attack one of them, but he had "selected" these young women and waited and waited for the time to approach or strike. This process could have taken hours of wandering around in pubs and clubs and scoping out possible victims with "the look" and many nights of going home, as said before, without a "catch" as the right vulnerable blonde wasn't out there. 3 women taken randomly that all look so alike doesn't look so "random" to me. JMO of course.

TBH aside from being around the same age and having blonde/dyed blonde highlights the girls didn't look anything alike.

IN January 28 2016 an interesting article appeared in the West Australian Newspaper over the Australia Day weekend, entitled "Forensic Science helps Police close in on killer ".
The article mentions extra resources being swung over to the Macro investigation ,and advancements in famial DNA, before ending with the ominous warning "police may be reluctant to say it, but the net does appear to be closing around the Claremont Serial Killer.
It seems likely WAPOL had BRE firmly in their sights at this time, and that the West Australian was working in with police re the timing, and content of this milestone article.
I think this close level of co- operation has continued between WAPOL and the States only newspaper to the extent that the newspaper has agreed to not publish in depth background research on BREs history, part time jobs, and old photographs detailing his appearance in the 90s. until given the go ahead.
The payoff for the newspaper in future will no doubt be an " exclusive " story regarding hitherto unknown aspects of the case .

I was thinking more along the lines of exclusive interviews with detectives on one of the affiliate current affairs shows or a book deal by someone high up in the investigation.
There could also be a suppression order keeping things under wrap. Isn't there a rule about influencing future jurors? With so much riding on a conviction they wouldn't want anything to go wrong.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Your nanna played RSLs with Jade Hurley tribute bands?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

attachment.php
attachment.php

I uploaded a paint type programme and spent a few hours trying to learn how to do it (without instructions, I am a bear of little brain) then I uploaded BRE familiar photo and messed around with it putting more hair on him, slimming his face of course, and taking out his wrinkles. My husband came in and was watching me and said "Why are you making that bloke look like a film star?" LOL. I think he looks like Liberace (even before my time but I think everyone knows him, camp as a row of tents as my Dad used to say!) May just give a bit of an impression how he might have looked way back when, could have presented quite well from the driver's seat with a nice quiet demeanor and gentle smile. (Pause as flesh crawls).

Do you know how to do one of those photos that blend two together? His high school photo could maybe be blended with the one with his ex?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member