Australia Claremont Serial Killer, 1996 - 1997, Perth, Western Australia - #16

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
So who else was doing heroin?

rsbm

or laundering money from heroin ... or trafficking heroin into WA? This could be a relevant question, especially as Vanessa Devlin and her boyfriend were caught trafficking it into WA. VD had just come from visiting her boyfriend on remand at Canningvale prison when picked up taken back to her house brutally sexually assaulted and murdered. Suggestion in the papers was that federal police were involved and she may have been about to talk.

Former police officer Brian has made statements on involvement of corrupt cops in association with Mr Asia gang member and heroin and money laundering. His information on SF and consent to testifying was what got the Shirley Finn inquiry.

attachment.php
attachment.php

Short summary of articles on Vanessa Devlin
The West Australian June 18[SUP]th,[/SUP] 1988, page 1. By Steve Lague. New Southside murder hunt.

Police find partially clothed body of Vanessa Roberta Devlin 23 years old.
Certain similarities to other attacks by south side rapist.
Found on floor of a sleepout at the rear of an Albany Highway house. House is 100m from highway and no close neighbours with a railway line running alongside.
South side rapist may be responsible for more than 16 attacks on women in the past 2 years. They include the murder of Victoria Clark aged 30.
Suspect is mid 20’s 175 cm tall medium build, dark curly hair and brown eyes.
Police unwilling to say just one man was responsible. Maybe shift worker.

Sunday Times Perth June 19[SUP]th[/SUP] 1988 Page 1 Is a sexfiend on the loose?
Murder Hunt Car Clue
Dead in bedroom
Page 2 Have you seen a car like this?
Picture of a Datsun 260C (side on) Detailed description of car.

Police hunt sex killer.
Sunday Times Perth, June 26[SUP]th[/SUP] 1988.

Pg 26 Police silent on girl’s heroin running”
Federal Police allege Victoria Devlin was involved in a heroin ring.
Victoria Devlin (23) was charged with heroin possession several days before being killed, under the customs act.
Denis Michael Herbert (26) was charged the day before and is in Canningvale Remand Centre. He had a visit from VD on the day she was murdered. It was alleged she was a courier bringing heroin in from the Eastern States.

Pg 30 Arrest, but rapist search still on by Andrew Masterson.

James Alexander Tilbury (46) was arrested for the VD murder.
A man is still sought for the southside rapes and the Victoria Clark (30) murder. There had been nine rapes in 1986, five in 1987 and one so far this year.

Attachments

• Brian_pg18.jpg
    Brian_pg18.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 106
  • Brian_pg19.JPG
    Brian_pg19.JPG
    93.7 KB · Views: 105
The area within Gay St, Huntingdale contains patches of coffee rock, which is extremely hard. During 1987/88, I worked in Bullfinch St (now Bronzewing St). Over many months, explosives were used during the excavation process. Gay St was excavated a few years later. If you can imagine the area had open sewerage pits for a lengthy time, and solid rock. Rock is very stable which doesn’t fall inward, like sand. Between the bottom of the pipework and ground is a void, and there’s enough room to place a body.

Seems to me like the ideal place to put a body. Would police have to be given a lead about a body in a septic tank? There are so many I don't think they would routinely check. In all the above cases were the bodies found accidentally or were cops involved in looking there? I wonder would the public have been told if something was found relating to CSK case or would the information be hidden until trial? MOO
Annalise,

Whilst at the WC I learned that, once the property connects to the minister's sewer, the septic tank is disconnected. Most times the septic tank is emptied, but left in the ground. The plumbers probably pierce holes in the bottom of the tank, for future drainage.
There would have been a decommissioned septic tank at Acton Av, but Fountain Way would have been built with the minister's sewer.
In another post, I've answered the question about Gay St.

Spooks, you asked about the septic tanks....

With regard to the Gay St property and Telstra exchange nearby (5 houses south).

Earlier this year I notified CSs advising there would be ‘disconnected’ septic tanks at those two sites. The septic tank on the Gay St property, which has since been subdivided, would probably be located in the rear neighbours property. The Telstra exchange has probably been connected to the sewer scheme but possibly once had a septic tank. There’s usually a toilet and small sink in the exchanges. I can see the Gay St building has a small flue for the WC.

I sent CSs the information, including the address where to apply for a flimsy and typed-up the email requesting the information they needed.
When developers, develop property they usually leave existing pipework in the ground. I also asked CS to contact the WC and check the spatial maps for ‘dead main’. I gave them the name and phone number of the WCs new works inspector who would have overseen the subdivision. Again I typed-up an email urging them to request an e-plan detailing what pipework is in the ground and the depths (i.e. dead main).

I heard back from a Macro administration officer who agreed to look into the matter.

Hi Canning Vale - what a great post. I sincerely hope Crime Stoppers did look into it. You pretty much handed to them on a plate where they should investigate. Thanks for all your hard work in specifying where old sewerage tanks are on the properties that I believe they already searched. Not sure if they would even known where to look for the old st's. They should have offered you a job to organise the dig. Well done and I hope all your hard work pays off and that they took your advice! MOO

Ill find it in Devils Garden. Jenny Rimmer made mention of a flat (Page 54)

Janes father was in finance/insurance and they lived in Shenton park where Jenny worked at the local pub. *TBC

Who said Sarahs flat was in Wembley a few pages back? *Sarah shared a flat with her sister, Amanda.

The problem is, I have read about a flat in Mosman park. So it was one or the other. or someone else had a flat in Mosman Park, or it is a reporting error.

Sarah had reportedly rang a taxi to go to Mosman park on the night she disappeared.

Initially her siblings thought she had just had a big night but their parents, Jenny and Trevor, spent that evening searching Jane’s Wembley flat and calling her friends.
https://thewest.com.au/news/crime/s...-jane-rimmers-sister-speaks-out-ng-b88363434z

In a hauntingly familiar story, she told her friends she felt tired around midnight and left to catch a taxi near Stirling Highway home to her parents' house in Mosman Park.
http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/h...ndscape-of-perth-forever-20161222-gth190.html

Jane Rimmer heading to Mosman Park?
Source or evidence of this please.

Do you have information on where Jane Rimmer was living at that time?
Because if you do, it would be great if you could share it with this forum.
Jane's parents were reported as living in Wembley.
Jane's earlier family home was reported as being in Shenton Park.

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/wes...s/news-story/c08351e74533beea0264c21813eb9bf6

http://www.communitynews.com.au/wes...llings-victim-jane-rimmers-sister-speaks-out/

The Fountain way property looked post septic tank. Gay st was parents house. Excavating a septic tank is pretty darn obvious with other people living in the residence aka parents. Usually the tanks are buried under grass. To get to the tank, one would typically have to dig up a couple of square metres of grass or garden to get in.

Many of these properties have been connected to deep sewerage. The tanks would have been collapsed in that case and filled in. Collapsing the tank is done usually for a number of reasons.

You could look to see when deep sewerage went though at Gay St

Burying a body in a septic tank not good idea, as Mr Pennington found out when demolishin crews discovered Slaters body. Although reporting of the 'tank' appeared to have disappeared.

In late May or early June, Julie rang her father to report an shocking occurrence in which she had been pushing home in her Fiat sedan from work along the Stirling Highway.
Julie told her father, Roger, that a automobile had followed her closely for several kilometres along Stirling Highway, almost touching her back fender at times and seemed to be trying to force her off the road.
As she approached a turn-off in the beachside suburb of Cottesloe, the automobile pulled alongside and then unexpected veered in front of her.
Ms Cutler swerved around it and sped away, after stating the occurrence to police.
As her stepsister related, years later, she called “extremely upset. She suspicion whoever was in the automobile wanted to run her off the highway or force her to pull over.” http://myexpress.com.au/natipnal/courts-law/mystery-of-the-girls-who-vanished/

Making Julie's disappearance more eerie were reports that someone had attempted to "drive her off the road" in the weeks before she vanished.
In late May or early June, Julie rang her father and said a car had followed her so closely it was almost touching her rear bumper for several kilometres as she drove home from work.
She said the car appeared to be trying to force her off the road or force her to pull over. When the car suddenly veered in front of her, Julie was able to swerve around it and speed away to safety.
She reported the incident to police. http://www.************.au/missing-australian-women/
attachment.php
[FONT=&amp]She said Ms Cutler had rung her parents just weeks before she disappeared and told them that she had been driving home after a shift at the hotel when a car had begun to tailgate her in an apparent attempt to run her off the road.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]The car had followed her closely for several kilometres along Stirling Highway, almost touching her rear bumper at times. Then as Ms Cutler’s car approached the turn-off for Eric Street in Cottesloe, the mystery car pulled alongside her car before suddenly veering in front of it.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]The mystery vehicle then slowed almost to a standstill, before Ms Cutler swerved around it and sped away. The incident was reported to police but the driver was never found.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]“She called her parents extremely upset afterwards and was genuinely concerned that this person wanted to get to her,” Ms Cutler’s stepsister said.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]“It wasn’t a road rage incident, it was just random. She thought whoever was in the car wanted to run her off the road or force her to pull over. She was very worried about who this person was and why they wanted to do that. It really shook her up.”[/FONT]
https://archive.fo/RUFFJ

I saw a media report that said the car turned off at Eric Street.
Has anybody got that, and can confirm?

So Mr Spiers has flown to Southern Cross on the premise a psychic said she was there. Interesting. Be interested to hear who the psychic might have been. How did they establish that? Pulling a few tips of an internet forum maybe?

He said Mr Spiers tried to find houses in Wembley with white picket fences for sale, which was supposedly where his daughter's body was buried, and flew as far as the Southern Cross to meet with people.
http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/d...y-lulled-into-false-story-20110816-1iwa9.html

In late May or early June, Julie rang her father to report an shocking occurrence in which she had been pushing home in her Fiat sedan from work along the Stirling Highway.
Julie told her father, Roger, that a automobile had followed her closely for several kilometres along Stirling Highway, almost touching her back fender at times and seemed to be trying to force her off the road.
As she approached a turn-off in the beachside suburb of Cottesloe, the automobile pulled alongside and then unexpected veered in front of her.
Ms Cutler swerved around it and sped away, after stating the occurrence to police.
As her stepsister related, years later, she called “extremely upset. She suspicion whoever was in the automobile wanted to run her off the highway or force her to pull over.” http://myexpress.com.au/natipnal/courts-law/mystery-of-the-girls-who-vanished/

Making Julie's disappearance more eerie were reports that someone had attempted to "drive her off the road" in the weeks before she vanished.
In late May or early June, Julie rang her father and said a car had followed her so closely it was almost touching her rear bumper for several kilometres as she drove home from work.
She said the car appeared to be trying to force her off the road or force her to pull over. When the car suddenly veered in front of her, Julie was able to swerve around it and speed away to safety.
She reported the incident to police. http://www.************.au/missing-australian-women/
attachment.php
[FONT=&amp]She said Ms Cutler had rung her parents just weeks before she disappeared and told them that she had been driving home after a shift at the hotel when a car had begun to tailgate her in an apparent attempt to run her off the road.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]The car had followed her closely for several kilometres along Stirling Highway, almost touching her rear bumper at times. Then as Ms Cutler’s car approached the turn-off for Eric Street in Cottesloe, the mystery car pulled alongside her car before suddenly veering in front of it.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]The mystery vehicle then slowed almost to a standstill, before Ms Cutler swerved around it and sped away. The incident was reported to police but the driver was never found.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]“She called her parents extremely upset afterwards and was genuinely concerned that this person wanted to get to her,” Ms Cutler’s stepsister said.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]“It wasn’t a road rage incident, it was just random. She thought whoever was in the car wanted to run her off the road or force her to pull over. She was very worried about who this person was and why they wanted to do that. It really shook her up.”[/FONT]

It's probably pure luck that the local Police and Detectives weren't passing when Julie was being harassed.
attachment.php

Attachments

• routes Claremont CIB to Cottesloe CIB.jpg
    routes Claremont CIB to Cottesloe CIB.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 91
Ill find it in Devils Garden. Jenny Rimmer made mention of a flat

The Devil's Garden book mention's Jane Rimmer's flat (her own flat - not her parents or friends), a number of time's.
It does not make mention or state which suburb her flat was located in.
Or make any reference in any way to Jane Rimmer being on her way to Mosman Park.

https://thewest.com.au/news/australia/jane-rimmer-questions-remain-about-mystery-man-ng-ya-135695
Her parents Jenny and Trevor Rimmer would spend that afternoon and evening searching their daughter’s flat in Wembley and calling all her friends before reporting her missing just after midnight.

See above for the media (rightly or wrongly) referring to Jane Rimmer's flat as being in Wembley.

I haven't made mention of socio-economic status. Merely that Kewdale and Gosnells were close together. That there was a possibility that they had known each other years prior. Perth very small place in 1988 -1994. The possibility CG went Gosnells high school.

So which catholic school did CGEs sister go to in Fremantle? Without sleuthing of course. Seeing as Cutler was in Freo and Freo is very close to Mosman park geographically. Another neighbouring suburb. Is there a St Patricks Catholic school in Freo? Is this the police psych? Not implying anything. Objective comment.

St Patricks primary school, 8 Ellen st, Fremantle.

Kewdale (where Geneste's lived) and Huntingdale (Edwards) and not adjacent suburbs or neighboring suburbs. CGE's sister went to a Catholic school in Fremantle an she may have as well. BRE went to Gosnells HS, seemingly no connection at all in geographic location or socioeconomic status there.

Regarding the spreadsheet I've been working on. It's too big to upload. Within a spreadsheet form it makes the information very clear and we can see a pattern. Unless I email it to people. Any suggestions?

It contains the following information...

Year, Day, Date, Name, Age, Description, Build, Height, Moon, Other details (pub), Nearest holiday, Details, Link

Regarding the spreadsheet I've been working on. It's too big to upload. Within a spreadsheet form it makes the information very clear and we can see a pattern. Unless I email it to people. Any suggestions?

It contains the following information...

Year, Day, Date, Name, Age, Description, Build, Height, Moon, Other details (pub), Nearest holiday, Details, Link

Many ways. 1.0 Hit [printscreen] in top right keyboard. paste into MS Paint. Save as JPEG.. 2.0 File > Print to PDF. 3.0 File > Save as XHTML

Sunday Times Perth June 19th 1988 Page 1 Is a sexfiend on the loose?
Murder Hunt Car Clue
Dead in bedroom
Page 2 Have you seen a car like this?
Picture of a Datsun 260C (side on) Detailed description of car.

Police hunt sex killer. Sunday Times Perth, June 26th 1988.

Pg 26 Police silent on girl’s heroin running”
Federal Police allege Victoria Devlin was involved in a heroin ring.
Victoria Devlin (23) was charged with heroin possession several days before being killed, under the customs act.
Denis Michael Herbert (26) was charged the day before and is in Canningvale Remand Centre. He had a visit from VD on the day she was murdered. It was alleged she was a courier bringing heroin in from the Eastern States.

Wrongful convictions, stagnated murder investigations. Victims with connections to politics. Its almost like organised crime had it over some investigators.

Glyde st, Mosman Park, full of horse and pick. Train stations.

Is the Datsun 260C the same car as the Kerry Turner case?
She was stranded and alone with no way to get home. Minutes later, she was walking across Shepperton Road when a car sped up and stopped behind her.

“The person in the car called out and Kerry turned around and walked back to the car, spoke to the person, and then got in the car and left and that was the last time she was seen alive that we know of,” John Turner, Kerry’s father, told Radio 6PR.
Police hunted for the vehicle, described by witnesses as a dark blue car, similar to a Datsun 260C, which had spoked wheels, but came up empty-handed.
http://www.news.com.au/national/cri...d/news-story/5fc90319ac3f97ce0eeb3127df726998

Heroin, the confidence drug

Intersection Millar and Shepperton

You could make a lot of money tapping phones on the side for organised crime.

Here's a copy of the spreadsheet I've been working on. It's not correct and needs to be checked again. Could you please have a look and provide constructive comment. Many thanks. Ctrl + (enlarge) The second page is missing.
attachment.php

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 114
I haven't made mention of socio-economic status. Merely that Kewdale and Gosnells were close together. That there was a possibility that they had known each other years prior. Perth very small place in 1988 -1994. The possibility CG went Gosnells high school.

So which catholic school did CGEs sister go to in Fremantle? Without sleuthing of course. Seeing as Cutler was in Freo and Freo is very close to Mosman park geographically. Another neighbouring suburb. Is there a St Patricks Catholic school in Freo? Is this the police psych? Not implying anything. Objective comment.

St Patricks primary school, 8 Ellen st, Fremantle.

I posted this back a few pages, CGE's sister (police psyc) went to De Vialar College.

Thanks PeteDavo, you might have discovered where the second wife went to secondary school. Her sister at De Vialar College, looks to have graduated in 1986. Assume maybe CGE went there as well. Not sleuthing but for possible links to when CGE and BRE may have met. De Vialar now Seton Catholic College.

Seton Catholic College is a co-educational Catholic College of around 1100 students in Years 7 to 12. It was founded in 1990 as the amalgamation of two pre-existing schools: St Brendan’s College, established in 1964 by the Society of African Missions; and De Vialar College, established by the Sisters of St Joseph of the Apparition in 1968 from their previously existing St Joseph’s School in Fremantle, established in 1855.

De Vicatname=About&schoolid=2900

Hi petedavo - you would think with the police station being on Stirling Highway the police would be on the lookout for someone harassing drivers late at night. The poor girl must have been terrified. Then her flat broken into. How would someone know where she lived? It's too coincidental for it not to be connected to her abduction and murder. Someone had it in for her. Obviously someone a bit crazy to have terrorised her on the road. I'm sure if it had been someone she knew she would have said. Where are the police when you need them. MOO

The Devil's Garden book mention's Jane Rimmer's flat (her own flat - not her parents or friends), a number of time's.
It does not make mention or state which suburb her flat was located in.
Or make any reference in any way to Jane Rimmer being on her way to Mosman Park.

https://thewest.com.au/news/australia/jane-rimmer-questions-remain-about-mystery-man-ng-ya-135695

See above for the media (rightly or wrongly) referring to Jane Rimmer's flat as being in Wembley.[/FONT][/COLOR]

I think the media are correct in referring to Jane's flat being in Wembley. I've heard this from another source. Her parents and family home in Shenton Park.

SS told her friends at 1.30am she was getting a taxi home. Her and her sister lived in a South Perth flat owned by their parents. You could assume she meant South Perth. However, documentary (CI: Hunt for a serial killer) said SS rang for a taxi to Mosman Park. A member here has asked Bunnie if this is correct?

There was a suggestion that SS's sister was staying with friends in Mosman Park that night and SS was going to stay with her. There is another suggestion from Bartholomew that she had met a man recently who lived in Mosman Park. SS's sister didn't discover her missing immediately (not until Monday morning 28th Jan) if I remember correctly because her sister wasn't at their flat for the weekend.

Jane Rimmer had not called a taxi anywhere, and I don't think had any links to Mosman Park. JR is supposed to have turned down a taxi ride home with her friends according to CI Hunt for a Serial Killer documentary. She was standing on a disabled bay parking spot nowhere near taxi's and seemed to be waiting for a ride from the person who ended up abducting her IMO.

What was the hint? Havent watched the Claremont Ghost vids. I think they are just someone rambling.
Any maybe this is the route of the Claremont Ghost hint dude?

Maybe bump the font sizeupto14 or 16?
Here's a copy of the spreadsheet I've been working on. It's not correct and needs to be checked again. Could you please have a look and provide constructive comment. Many thanks. Ctrl + (enlarge) The second page is missing.

Police must have a vehicle description and suspect in their database after the police report. Is this why they wanted LW? Why havent we heard a description of this vehicle?

Hi petedavo - you would think with the police station being on Stirling Highway the police would be on the lookout for someone harassing drivers late at night. The poor girl must have been terrified. Then her flat broken into. How would someone know where she lived? It's too coincidental for it not to be connected to her abduction and murder. Someone had it in for her. Obviously someone a bit crazy to have terrorised her on the road. I'm sure if it had been someone she knew she would have said. Where are the police when you need them. MOO

When you watch the vids. I get the impression these girls did not go with friends, was that the victims were tired with a focus of going home rather than continuing with friends. I thought the victims may have felt that a ride with friends would not get them home.
Sources say the girls were inebriated, but I think we need to see what the court says.

A taxi ride with friends, may not have been where the girls houses were. Sarah had reportedly shared a cab the night before according Ross the cab driver.
Sarah rang a cab. Jane stood outside the pub in front the bouncers where she could hale a taxi? Ciara had a hair appointment next morning for sisters wedding. Jane appears the only one that may have possibly organised a rendezvous? Even then, her flat in Wembley. Would a cab full of friends head that direction?

If heroin was rife in Glyde st, what other drugs were floating around? PW had complained about drugs in Bay View tce. Look where that got him.

I think the media are correct in referring to Jane's flat being in Wembley. I've heard this from another source. Her parents and family home in Shenton Park.

SS told her friends at 1.30am she was getting a taxi home. Her and her sister lived in a South Perth flat owned by their parents. You could assume she meant South Perth. However, documentary (CI: Hunt for a serial killer) said SS rang for a taxi to Mosman Park. A member here has asked Bunnie if this is correct?

There was a suggestion that SS's sister was staying with friends in Mosman Park that night and SS was going to stay with her. There is another suggestion from Bartholomew that she had met a man recently who lived in Mosman Park. SS's sister didn't discover her missing immediately (not until Monday morning 28th Jan) if I remember correctly because her sister wasn't at their flat for the weekend.

Jane Rimmer had not called a taxi anywhere, and I don't think had any links to Mosman Park. JR is supposed to have turned down a taxi ride home with her friends according to CI Hunt for a Serial Killer documentary. She was standing on a disabled bay parking spot nowhere near taxi's and seemed to be waiting for a ride from the person who ended up abducting her IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member