Australia Claremont Serial Killer, 1996 - 1997, Perth, Western Australia - #16

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
According to the CIA video Don Spiers mentioned that Sarah was staying with her sister in a flat at South Perth.

Hi petedavo - you would think with the police station being on Stirling Highway the police would be on the lookout for someone harassing drivers late at night. The poor girl must have been terrified. Then her flat broken into. How would someone know where she lived? It's too coincidental for it not to be connected to her abduction and murder. Someone had it in for her. Obviously someone a bit crazy to have terrorised her on the road. I'm sure if it had been someone she knew she would have said. Where are the police when you need them. MOO
Very good point, since where this incident occurred was on the shortest distance route between two police stations.
Claremont and Cottesloe.

Sent from my HTC 2PQ910 using Tapatalk

I haven't made mention of socio-economic status. Merely that Kewdale and Gosnells were close together. That there was a possibility that they had known each other years prior. Perth very small place in 1988 -1994. The possibility CG went Gosnells high school.

So which catholic school did CGEs sister go to in Fremantle? Without sleuthing of course. Seeing as Cutler was in Freo and Freo is very close to Mosman park geographically. Another neighbouring suburb. Is there a St Patricks Catholic school in Freo? Is this the police psych? Not implying anything. Objective comment.

St Patricks primary school, 8 Ellen st, Fremantle.

I grew up in Kewdale, but knew no-one from Gosnells. Just saying. It was a fair hike down Leach Hwy or Welshpool Road then Albany Hwy with no real reason or draw card to head out that way. People I knew ventured either to Carousel or into the city for cinemas and shopping. Not discounting your theory, just that it wasn't common in my experience.

rsbm

Wrongful convictions, stagnated murder investigations. Victims with connections to politics. Its almost like organised crime had it over some investigators.

Glyde st, Mosman Park, full of horse and pick. Train stations.

Is the Datsun 260C the same car as the Kerry Turner case?
She was stranded and alone with no way to get home. Minutes later, she was walking across Shepperton Road when a car sped up and stopped behind her.

“The person in the car called out and Kerry turned around and walked back to the car, spoke to the person, and then got in the car and left and that was the last time she was seen alive that we know of,” John Turner, Kerry’s father, told Radio 6PR. Police hunted for the vehicle, described by witnesses as a dark blue car, similar to a Datsun 260C, which had spoked wheels, but came up empty-handed.
http://www.news.com.au/national/crim...eb3127df726998

Heroin, the confidence drugsection Millarnd Shepperton

Please don't make the assumption that KT an 18 year old girl trying to get home, was on heroin and got into this car! It's been sluethed here that her sister worked in a Gosnells pharmacy and she probably came from Gosnells Huntindale area. Her father was quoted in another report saying he thought she wouldn't have got into the car unless she knew the person, or of the person.

I suspect this was an opportunistic abduction for BRE, but can't figure out how unlucky she was (or lucky the SK was) that this car came alone the minute she was dropped of by taxi.

Cops at this time still looking for exact make of car in Vanessa Devlin's case that they'd linked to southside rapist and Victoria Clarke's murder. BRE has been charged with the Huntingdale attack of 18 year old which would be considered one of the south side rapist's attacks. They did say they could be looking for more than one person as the rapist in VD's reports.

Depends who owned the car with detailed description given by Katich in VD case. It wasn't Tilbury who "confessed" to VD although had no motive or reason why he did it. Was it BRE, PeteDavos mad police recruit, or someone else? Just my opinion only.

I think the Yobbo house where Vanessa Devlin had been living for 7 weeks and was killed has just as many links to crimes and drugs. It is adjacent to Gosnells suburb.

The Sunday Times June 19[SUP]th[/SUP] 1988 Page 1 Murder Hunt Car Clue Dead in bedroom by Andrew Masterson and Maxine Brown

Police investigating the brutal sex murder of Vanessa Roberta Devlin, 23, have appealed to the public to help in the search for a man who gave her a lift to her Maddington house just before she was murdered. The man was seen arriving in a metallic green Datsun 260 C ? sedan and is believed to be the last person to see her alive.

Senior Detective Sergeant Max Kiernan the man heading the hunt for the notorious “Southside rapist” said yesterday the 1976 ? or 1977 model car had been parked at Miss Devlin’s house at 1995? Albany Highway. It had mag wheels, stickers on the rear windscreen and black and yellow registration plates.

Urgent
The urgent hunt for the driver of the vehicle may help to resolve the disturbing question haunting police this weekend. Was the murder the work of the “southside rapist” or is there now a second sex fiend stalking the southern suburb? Sergeant K said police believed the driver of the car had given Miss Devlin a lift to her home when she was hitch hiking from a friend’s house on Friday morning.

It is believed she was picked up near Nicholson Rd Canning Vale. Senior D-S Vince Katich said the murder had occurred between 11.30 am and 2.00pm on Friday (17[SUP]th[/SUP] June 1988). Her body was discovered about 3 pm by the other occupant of the house, Mr Max Carroll. She was lying in a rear bedroom naked from the waist down and had been strangled with an electrical cord.

Mr Carroll was yesterday being interviewed by police but was not suspected of any involvement in the crime. Miss Devlin, unemployed had been living at the house for only seven weeks before her death. The house is an old rambling bungalow set back from the road on a large block next to Stockerly railway station. It is surrounded by trees and tall bamboo plants and has no near neighbours. Police sources said it appeared Miss Devlin had been strangled while she was being raped. The sources said there were marked differences between her killing and that of Victoria Clarke – but a link between them had not been discounted.

“There is every chance it is the same person involved, but we just can’t say” said S Kiernan. “There are indications and some evidence to support a connection.”

Copycat crime
He said the daylight timing of the killing was “out of character” for the southside rapist who is thought to have so far struck at night. He said it was possible it was s copycat crime. “But I think we are one step closer to catching the southside rapist” he said. Sarg Katch said they are “extremely confident” the man seen driving the Datson could explain what had happened on Friday. Continued Pg 2.

The real estate agent who leased the house, Mr Kinsley Moore said Miss Devlin didn’t seem to fit in with the house – which he said was rundown – or its numerous visitors. He said the house was for sale. “Miss Devlin was sort of Italian looking and classy” he said. “From some of the yobbos that used to go in there, she shouldn’t be there.” Mr Moore said groups of young men and woman drifted in and out of the house all the time.

Have you seen a car like this?
Picture of Datsun

Police hunt sex killer pg 2 The back yard?... If Miss Devlin was the victim of the southside rapist, it takes his count to 16 in the past two years. ...
Lease
The real estate agent who leased the house, Mr Kinsley Moore said Miss Devlin didn’t seem to fit in with the house – which he said was rundown – or its numerous visitors. He said the house was for sale. “Miss Devlin was sort of Italian looking and classy” he said. “From some of the yobbos that used to go in there, she shouldn’t be there.” Mr Moore said groups of young men and woman drifted in and out of the house all the time.

He often saw several cars parked on the front lawn. “Ï don’t know what the set up was; there were people there all the time. Mr Moore said the lessee, Mr Carroll had lived in the house about eight years.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Murder hunt car clue_VD_pg1.jpg
    Murder hunt car clue_VD_pg1.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 112
Had anyone else heard the rumour that allegedly a business card or some sort of card of CG's was found behind the audio system or air con system of the station wagon and that's what was able to link BRE to the crimes? That could be how he was linked if it wasnt familial dna.

No one is making an assumption anyone is on drugs. There will be not assumption.

I have defended the victims in the past in having alleged drug habits by some users.

KT got in a car trying to get home after leaving Pinnochios night club, aka Magnet House, ironically a very early electronics division that made and sold electrics like telephone parts. General Electric were into phones. Not sure they involved in the popular Sterling phones.

Please don't make the assumption that KT an 18 year old girl trying to get home, was on heroin and got into this car! It's been sluethed here that her sister worked in a Gosnells pharmacy and she probably came from Gosnells Huntindale area. Her father was quoted in another report saying he thought she wouldn't have got into the car unless she knew the person, or of the person.

I suspect this was an opportunistic abduction for BRE, but can't figure out how unlucky she was (or lucky the SK was) that this car came alone the minute she was dropped of by taxi.

Cops at this time still looking for exact make of car in Vanessa Devlin's case that they'd linked to southside rapist and Victoria Clarke's murder. BRE has been charged with the Huntingdale attack of 18 year old which would be considered one of the south side rapist's attacks. They did say they could be looking for more than one person as the rapist in VD's reports.

Depends who owned the car with detailed description given by Katich in VD case. It wasn't Tilbury who "confessed" to VD although had no motive or reason why he did it. Was it BRE, PeteDavos mad police recruit, or someone else? Just my opinion only.

I think the Yobbo house where Vanessa Devlin had been living for 7 weeks and was killed has just as many links to crimes and drugs. It is adjacent to Gosnells suburb.

Im just drawing on highschool experiences, such as Sarah Spiers living in South Perth, attending Iona in Mosman Park. People go to highschools further a field for different reasons. eg:music. Did Gosnells have a cadet program or anything?

I grew up in Kewdale, but knew no-one from Gosnells. Just saying. It was a fair hike down Leach Hwy or Welshpool Road then Albany Hwy with no real reason or draw card to head out that way. People I knew ventured either to Carousel or into the city for cinemas and shopping. Not discounting your theory, just that it wasn't common in my experience.

The Sterling Telephone & Electric Company of Britain
SterlingLogo.jpg

http://www.telephonecollecting.org/Bobs phones/Pages/Sterling/Intro.htm

The March 31st 1910 annual report for GEC states "switchgear, arc lamps, fans and small motors departments have been moved from Salford to Witton. Peel Works is now entirely devoted to telephone and telegraphic apparatus.

It sold the Australian PMG Department 8000 lines for new exchanges in the Adelaide area, comprising six exchanges at Central, Prospect, Glenelg, Brighton, Henley and Woodfield. By about 1914 GEC had added rebadged Sterling telephones and intercoms to their ever-expanding range. They had also moved into PABXs and CB switchboards.
http://www.telephonecollecting.org/Bobs phones/Pages/GEC/History.htm

After the retirement of (now Lord) Weinstock in 1996 the company started to rationalise its wide range of companies in a series of selloffs and mergers. In 1999 it renamed itself Marconi plc and went back to communications, internet and electronics

The formal opening of the .British General Electric Co. Ltd.'s new. premises In Perth,Magnet House. 393 Murray-street
[Monday 14th September 1936]
*PMG - [Postmaster General] latter to become Telecom then Telstra, privatisation occurring around 1997

How is a business card in his own car going to incriminate him? Oh, you mean Ciara Glennon? Too many CGs for acronyms.

Had anyone else heard the rumour that allegedly a business card or some sort of card of CG's was found behind the audio system or air con system of the station wagon and that's what was able to link BRE to the crimes? That could be how he was linked if it wasnt familial dna.

Im going to take a wild guess that Government road is called government road because that's where many government compounds were years ago for government departments, like utilities such as water, electricity, phone, etc

Can anyone confirm the history of government road? The below image was found on government road but something typical that would exist in Magnet House aka Pinnochios Night Club.
BF-_Magnet.jpg

I know BRE is 48 (Born Dec 1968). I haven't seen the age of CGE but thought she was a fair bit younger. If CGE went to Gosnells High School with BRE she might be mentioned on the friends list of the GHS reunion pages. They've got a FB page too. Shortly after the arrest, the reunion page was the first place I went to for information. I see they don't mention BREs name anymore.

How is a business card in his own car going to incriminate him? Oh, you mean Ciara Glennon? Too many CGs for acronyms.

Yes I meant Ciara. It's probably not a credible rumour at all but if that was what kicked off the chain of events that resulted in his arrest then that is like a message beyond the grave imo. Maybe she put it there herself to alert someone she was in that car.

Monash Avenue was once called Government road also. Monash Avenue was perpendicular to the Karrakatta cemetery. Just trying to establish the name convention for Government road. Someone from Main Roads department might know. or local council.

*Government road backs onto Karrakatta cemetery where an alleged sexual assault occurred and also the place of Jane Rimmers employment, a daycare centre. Its is also the place where an abandoned warehouse owner discovered a wire diagram as above.

zoom_Karrakatta_Cemetery_-_MAP_-_sections_Page_1.jpg

Source:https://rslvirtualwarmemorial.org.au/explore/cemeteries/101

Yeah that one was posted following the arrest in December. Unfortunately there's been so much 'stuff' posted that it's impossible to sort the wheat from the chaff.

stirling-highway-clare.jpg

Google Earth
Any maybe this is the route of the Claremont Ghost hint dude?
attachment.php
What was the hint? Havent watched the Claremont Ghost vids. I think they are just someone rambling.

Maybe bump the font sizeupto14 or 16?

Police must have a vehicle description and suspect in their database after the police report. Is this why they wanted LW? Why havent we heard a description of this vehicle?

When you watch the vids. I get the impression these girls did not go with friends, was that the victims were tired with a focus of going home rather than continuing with friends. I thought the victims may have felt that a ride with friends would not get them home.
Sources say the girls were inebriated, but I think we need to see what the court says.

A taxi ride with friends, may not have been where the girls houses were. Sarah had reportedly shared a cab the night before according Ross the cab driver.
Sarah rang a cab. Jane stood outside the pub in front the bouncers where she could hale a taxi? Ciara had a hair appointment next morning for sisters wedding. Jane appears the only one that may have possibly organised a rendezvous? Even then, her flat in Wembley. Would a cab full of friends head that direction?

If heroin was rife in Glyde st, what other drugs were floating around? PW had complained about drugs in Bay View tce. Look where that got him.
Claremont Ghost Hints apparently had video around Claremont, something about a taxi, something about a police car, a picture of a old style house, pictures taken around the Rottnest Ferry terminal in East Fremantle, before moving on towards Naval Base. (All common along that route and in the vicinity of that route)

No one is making an assumption anyone is on drugs. There will be not assumption.

I have defended the victims in the past in having alleged drug habits by some users.

KT got in a car trying to get home after leaving Pinnochios night club, aka Magnet House, ironically a very early electronics division that made and sold electrics like telephone parts. General Electric were into phones. Not sure they involved in the popular Sterling phones.

Im just drawing on highschool experiences, such as Sarah Spiers living in South Perth, attending Iona in Mosman Park. People go to highschools further a field for different reasons. eg:music. Did Gosnells have a cadet program or anything?

The Sterling Telephone & Electric Company of Britain
SterlingLogo.jpg

http://www.telephonecollecting.org/Bobs phones/Pages/Sterling/Intro.htm

The March 31st 1910 annual report for GEC states "switchgear, arc lamps, fans and small motors departments have been moved from Salford to Witton. Peel Works is now entirely devoted to telephone and telegraphic apparatus.

It sold the Australian PMG Department 8000 lines for new exchanges in the Adelaide area, comprising six exchanges at Central, Prospect, Glenelg, Brighton, Henley and Woodfield. By about 1914 GEC had added rebadged Sterling telephones and intercoms to their ever-expanding range. They had also moved into PABXs and CB switchboards.
http://www.telephonecollecting.org/Bobs phones/Pages/GEC/History.htm

After the retirement of (now Lord) Weinstock in 1996 the company started to rationalise its wide range of companies in a series of selloffs and mergers. In 1999 it renamed itself Marconi plc and went back to communications, internet and electronics

The formal opening of the .British General Electric Co. Ltd.'s new. premises In Perth,Magnet House. 393 Murray-street
[Monday 14th September 1936]
*PMG - [Postmaster General] latter to become Telecom then Telstra, privatisation occurring around 1997
Iona, St Hilda's, PLC etc, were boarding schools as well, yes? Maybe SS was a boarder? Friends of mine were boarders at schools because they were either from the country or the parents wanted them to have a total experience.

Ill do a search. But remember the media said that the accused was charged using familial DNA. That means that someone else in the family probably turned up in the criminal database which lead police to the accused.

A familial DNA evidence room audit that hadn't been used before turned someone else up on the database related to the current accused.

There is a lot of focus on this. I don't know why people are discounting the simple answer, familial DNA lead police to the accused as stated by media more than likely told by police sources. This has been done to death with multlple links. Why cant people accept multiple media reports?

Do note that Rochfords evidence turned up in an evidence room 'audit'. DNA technology has improved. What police could not detect in regards DNA 20 years ago, they can DNA test today with new technique. DNA audits with new technique have resulted in arrests around Australia from decades ago.

Yeah that one was posted following the arrest in December. Unfortunately there's been so much 'stuff' posted that it's impossible to sort the wheat from the chaff.

First search return. Talk about a load of stuff.
#1188 said:
SS licence in the car was an urban myth that circulated at least 3 times over many years. At least, thats the amount of times I heard it. Strangely, all 3 times I heard it from people I would usually have believed & who spoke of it being very close to them. Ie. My brother was the tow truck driver that picked up the car. My boyfriend was the mechanic that found it etc. The last occasion I heard it was about 2 years ago from a friend of my mothers, again, by someone very close to herI heard a variation of that urban myth - this time it was Ciara's business card found lodged in car console that was later found when the air conditioner was getting serviced on the car!
Urban myths and rumours sometimes start in truth and get twisted like Chinese Whispers!
It will be interesting if upcoming court case reveals something similar. I hope the public gets to hear details of a trial.
However I'm surprised I haven't heard more rumours circulating about the alleged CSK now he's charged and awaiting his trial.
#1192 said:
I heard a variation of that urban myth - this time it was Ciara's business card found lodged in car console that was later found when the air conditioner was getting serviced on the car!

Urban myths and rumours sometimes start in truth and get twisted like Chinese Whispers!

It will be interesting if upcoming court case reveals something similar. I hope the public gets to hear details of a trial.

However I'm surprised I haven't heard more rumours circulating about the alleged CSK now he's charged and awaiting his trial.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...ralia-Claremont-SK-1996-97-Perth-WA-14/page80

The quiet techie life of Claremont murder accused - The Australian
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...d/news-story/f34913420ecf0edf1a4b991994f8254d

Claremont murders: Stolen silk gown key to police making arrest
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...t/news-story/7354e965cc2d7d087d7d207ae1d04d20

Claremont serial killings: stolen kimono helped lead police to arrest
http://www.news.com.au/national/cla...t/news-story/cdad7c5a6b825958b6d46cb11eb44c75

In 1988, didn't Telecom employees have to physically go inside premises to hook up phones?

Iona, St Hilda's, PLC etc, we're boarding schools as well, yes? Maybe SS was a boarder? Friends of mine were boarders at schools because they were either from the country or the parents wanted them to have a total experience.

Pretty sure it's been mentioned here many times SS was a boarder at Iona. She may have even left after Yr 10 to attend a business school instead of Yr 11 and 12. Family were from country WA.

Hey Annaliese, Have you had a chance to check out the abc Trace Maria James murder podcasts. You can download and listen when you're doing other things. PeteDavo mentioned the article that found a police DNA bungle 20 years later that may have protected a priest from being identified as the murderer.

http://www.abc.net.au/radio/programs/trace/

Very interesting and could have some relevance in these murders. I'd like to know if others have listened?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-07-...r-dna-bungle-in-maria-james-cold-case/8694870

Family want Father Bongiorno and [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Father Thomas O'Keeffe investigated further. I did say Father Kevin in a previous post, that's incorrect, I wonder if that was a Freudian slip??[/FONT]

Just out of curiosity how long do people on this thread estimate the police watched BRE prior to making the arrest? I know the media have mentioned familial dna however it's natural to be skeptical after the misinformation that has been floating around for 20yrs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BlackDiamond