Australia Claremont Serial Killer, 1996 - 1997, Perth, Western Australia - #18

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi janwa

I haven't seen a map but nor have I seen any official list going back thirty years. That figure of sixteen also changed from presser to presser, it got a bit bigger and at one point I heard (I THINK it was the acting Commish) say "over seventeen murders".

Thanks for that Pandit the numbers seem to be a moveable feast.

These links might be useful

http://www.aic.gov.au/statistics/homicide.html

https://www.police.wa.gov.au/Crime/Homicide/Homicide-investigation

http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au...s/news-story/4660796762fa08830aeaabe1a56d55fc

A bit quiet today? Lindsay Rose's daughter was on 720 6WF this morning.
[video=twitter;924808862607163392]https://twitter.com/abcperth/status/924808862607163392[/video]
http://www.abc.net.au/radio/perth/programs/mornings/mornings/9078708

[video=twitter;924546358601646081]https://twitter.com/AustralianStory/status/924546358601646081[/video]
http://www.abc.net.au/austory/balancing-the-scales/9092258

Background: How a former drinking mate was unmasked as serial murderer
http://www.abc.net.au/radio/programs/conversations/conversations-campbell-mcconachie/8836926

Sent from my HTC 2PQ910 using Tapatalk

Paraphrased relevant details from article "Midnight Fear Prowls Streets" - Daily News 24Jun88. Original posted previously.

28May88 - The 44 year old women had left Clouds Nightclub at the Sheraton, crossed Adelaide Terrace and got into her car on Hill st when at 1.05am man wearing driving gloves came from nowhere, like lightning and wrenched her out of her car by her hair.
What followed was such a systematic & sadistic bashing that police were to find clumps of her hair the next day amongst blood and pearls from her necklace he'd torn from her neck in his frenzy of pulverizing blows.
She believes he's in his 20's-30's.
He snarled "you stupid ******ing *****, you're going to die, you're going to die" over and over again, the words never changed.
He ground the abrasive palm into her face, Repeatedly punching her in the mouth. He bashed her against a brick wall, dragged her to a span of metal poles and beat her like a doll against them. He dragged her across the street into a courier car park, flung her face down and stepped on the base of her spine. He punched her kidneys and ground her face into the ground. Her bladder and bowels gave way.
He pulled her arms behind her and wrapped them in parcel tape stolen from the couriers. He tied the cummerbund from her dress around her mouth and then taped her ankles.
She thought she was about to be raped, instead he kept running the sticky tape around her until she was wrapped like an egyptian mummy, a cocoon.
He heaved her into the metal bucket seat of a small yellow car, possibly a toyota, when she heard the radio DJ say it was 3.45am.
She was thrown out of the car at Centenary Drive in Wilson where he ground her face into the blue metal, said "right ***** your dead" & threw plastic sheeting over her.
She listened to the car drive off, pulled the tape off and was found by a Swan Taxi driver who took her to Mount St Hospital.

How absolutely horrific. That poor woman.

I've wondered at times about reports of the KK attack which often report the victim was 'left for dead' and wondered what happened for it to be described as such. This 1988 attack certainly brings that description to mind (although the KK attacker was reportedly silent).

These are some notes I have on Morey.. Ive included some links but what they refer to exactly Im unsure, sorry!! Unless someone can enlighten us, I dont know exactly when he left QLD.

Reason & exact timing unknown, but Morey was in QLD in prison until he escaped custody and fled to Perth where he committed 2x armed robberies in Midland/Guildford on 06Jan89 & 04Apr89.

He returned to the eastern States and was subsequently arrested in Melbourne and extradited to Queensland where he was interviewed in relation to these offences and, upon request by the applicant, was transferred back to Western Australia pursuant to the provisions of the Prisoners (Interstate Transfer) Act 1982 (Qld).
On 4 January 1991, the applicant pleaded guilty before the learned sentencing Judge and was convicted of two counts of armed robbery.
You will therefore be sentenced in respect of each offence to a term of 7 years' imprisonment, the first sentence to run cumulatively with the sentence originally imposed in Queensland which you are now serving here. The second sentence is to run concurrently with the sentence I have just imposed. There will not be an order that you be eligible for parole. You will not be eligible for parole and I can say this: if you come before me again or come before this court again in respect of offences of this nature, then you could expect that there would be an order declaring you an habitual criminal and it would be accompanied then by an order that you be detained indefinitely in a prison during the Governor's pleasure."

The appellant was convicted on 26 May 2005, after trial in the Supreme Court before Miller J and a jury, of four offences. They were attempted murder, assault occasioning bodily harm, unlawful detention and making a threat with intent to prevent a person from doing an act they were lawfully entitled to do, namely, calling for help. Miller J sentenced him to a total term of 13 years 4 months' imprisonment. His Honour refused to order that the appellant be eligible for parole. Due for release 2017-2018.
http://decisions.justice.wa.gov.au/...earchVW=FALSE&searchValue=donald victor morey

No name - thanks heaps for the Donald Morey information. Looks like he was in jail in Qld at the time that lady was attacked. MOO

Seeing those metal poles reminded me immediately of the woman who was abducted by man in yellow car

"He bashed her against a brick wall, dragged her to a span of metal poles and beat her like a doll against them."

Surely the same poles wouldn't be there twenty years later but could these be the same kind of poles referred to above?
Pandit,
Good question, it sounds as if it was an underground car park. It was probably an open car park back in 1988, without security.

No name - thanks heaps for the Donald Morey information. Looks like he was in jail in Qld at the time that lady was attacked. MOO
Hi Annalise,

After reading the post, DM may have been in Perth when the 45-year-old was attacked and JC went missing. Because DM was charged with committing the two robberies the following year.

Quote, ‘Reason & exact timing unknown, but Morey was in QLD in prison until he escaped custody and fled to Perth where he committed 2x armed robberies in Midland/Guildford on 06Jan89 & 04Apr89.

He returned to the eastern States and was subsequently arrested in Melbourne and extradited to Queensland where he was interviewed in relation to these offences and, upon request by the applicant, was transferred back to Western Australia pursuant to the provisions of the Prisoners (Interstate Transfer) Act 1982 (Qld).

On 4 January 1991, the applicant pleaded guilty before the learned sentencing Judge and was convicted of two counts of armed robbery’.

Hi Annalise,

After reading the post, DM may have been in Perth when the 45-year-old was attacked and JC went missing. Because DM was charged with committing the two robberies the following year.

Quote, ‘Reason & exact timing unknown, but Morey was in QLD in prison until he escaped custody and fled to Perth where he committed 2x armed robberies in Midland/Guildford on 06Jan89 & 04Apr89.

On 4 January 1991, the applicant pleaded guilty before the learned sentencing Judge and was convicted of two counts of armed robbery’.

From memory it was papertrail that had worked out the dates of Donald Morey's Queensland dates and dates in regard to CSK. As paperchase seems to be posting again perhaps you could enlighten us.

Thanks in advance.

Do we know if any of our suspects may have been back in the day, rally car drivers? Even try hard amateur.

I'm a bit stuck on this metal/steel bucket racing seat. And the gloves the victim (I assume) described as being abrasive, they could be drivers gloves standard used for grip on the steering wheel. There's also the manner in which JC's car was ditched (only three weeks after the Sheraton abduction) into the sea that could smack of adrenaline charged over the top hoon driving, if it wasn't just pushed in.

Hi Annalise,

Evidently Lorrin Whitehead (early 40s) who disappeared in Bannockburn Vic , was originally from Cottesloe. Lorrin had attended Iona College.

The news article advises she was a mother of 5 and didn't have any mental health issues. Lorrin had recently changed her surname, and possibly that could be connected to her disappearance. Thinking that means, that when she'd reverted back to her maiden name she was able to be located.

There's mention that it may be the work of the CSK.

CCTV shows her at the local shop Feb 2013 - Victoria.

One of the article's advises there was a break-in at the time of her disappearance, whereby her door was found unlocked.

Quote, 'After Ms Whitehead vanished, her home was searched where authorities found the front door unlocked, something her family said she never did.

Her laptop and iPad were also missing, however everything else was left untouched, including insulin used to treat her diabetes'

http://www.9news.com.au/national/20...sing-mum-to-come-back-in-time-for-her-wedding

As an old Ionian who knew CG and JC, I would have attended school at the same time as Lorrin. I do not recognise her name, her face looks somewhat familiar, but she was a couple of years younger than me nonetheless. I have never given much credence to the Iona linkages and have always thought it was a coincidence.

There has been some incorrect information posted here about Iona to add weight to the theories... such as it being on Glyde Street, which it is not. It is on Palmerston St, Lochee Street and Bay View Terrace. It is St Hilda's which is on Glyde St (and Palmerston and Bay View Terrace). Perhaps there is more to the Iona linkages, who knows, but I'm not buying into it at this stage.... and if I was to buy into it, where does JR fit into it?

Telstra Rally WA.

The first Rally Australia was held in 1988 and at that time relatively few people in Western Australia followed the sport of rallying. Since then the event has become so popular that Langley Park Superstage has sold out on a number of occasions.

https://www.mediastatements.wa.gov.au/Pages/Court/1996/01/Telstra-Rally-Australia-wins-1995-Rally-of-the-Year-Award.aspx

Do we know if any of our suspects may have been back in the day, rally car drivers? Even try hard amateur.

I'm a bit stuck on this metal/steel bucket racing seat. And the gloves the victim (I assume) described as being abrasive, they could be drivers gloves standard used for grip on the steering wheel. There's also the manner in which JC's car was ditched (only three weeks after the Sheraton abduction) into the sea that could smack of adrenaline charged over the top hoon driving, if it wasn't just pushed in.

As an old Ionian who knew CG and JC, I would have attended school at the same time as Lorrin. I do not recognise her name, her face looks somewhat familiar, but she was a couple of years younger than me nonetheless. I have never given much credence to the Iona linkages and have always thought it was a coincidence.

There has been some incorrect information posted here about Iona to add weight to the theories... such as it being on Glyde Street, which it is not. It is on Palmerston St, Lochee Street and Bay View Terrace. It is St Hilda's which is on Glyde St (and Palmerston and Bay View Terrace). Perhaps there is more to the Iona linkages, who knows, but I'm not buying into it at this stage.... and if I was to buy into it, where does JR fit into it?

Hi Ewood, there was a poster on here who was adamant Jane's manager or the owner of Nedlands Childcare in Government Rd opposite Karrakatta Cemetary where JR worked went to Iona. She would have been around the same age as GC from what I gathered. I will have to look for the series of posts. Do you recall any of your classmates managing or owning a childcare business?

1. With regard to the Huntingdale attack 17 Feb 1988. I’ve read beforehand that the perpetrator, walked in through the back door which was unlocked. news.com
What are the odds of leaving your door unlocked and someone enters?
Other than stalking, how did the perp. know a young female lived there?

Four months later….

2. Shortly before JCs disappearance her Fremantle house had a break-in. Does anyone know what was taken? https://thewest.com.au/news/wa/julies-father-wants-an-end-to-familys-pain-ng-b88342268z

Were those two places rentals? If they were rentals who was the managing agent. JMO

Ewood66,

Thank you for the feedback. The information about the name change was vague. It looks as though her married name was Kaiser. Lorrin Whitehead married a Kaiser.

Some info on the car, I've looked at the rear badge on the Fiat and pretty sure it's not a 125S so we can in all probability assume it was either a 4 or 5 speed manual, not an auto.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiat_125

Also, interesting to note is that Fiat 125 rust horror stories abound all over the internet.

"And even by 1975 plenty of 'em were secretly accumulating rust."

https://www.tradeuniquecars.com.au/feature-cars/1308/fiat-125-review

There's why the roof just caved in after rocking about on the ocean floor for two days and dragging it out roof down, as a twenty year old car it was likely full of rust and structurally unsound. Ie. It was starting to fall apart anyway.

Rust certainly could be a concern Pandit. The 1980 American Department of Transport tests that tested 12 year old cars, including the 1968 Fiat passed it while failing 10 other makes and models of 12 year old sedans, however. The simulated crash tests in 1980 showed a remarkable strength in the Fiat's car body. Calculated forces using these tests, and a 1968 Fiat 125 being hit by a train, as controls indicated similar forces to create the damage would include being dropped on its roof 30 times from a 1 m height onto a hard surface, or a one ton force being applied directly down on the roof for 30 seconds for example. I allowed a 30 % variation for inaccuracies and / or rust but I'm suggesting it would need to be a 300% difference to explain the damage that occurred. Just my own opinions.

Hi Ewood, there was a poster on here who was adamant Jane's manager or the owner of Nedlands Childcare in Government Rd opposite Karrakatta Cemetary where JR worked went to Iona. She would have been around the same age as GC from what I gathered. I will have to look for the series of posts. Do you recall any of your classmates managing or owning a childcare business?
No, I don't.... but a large number of my old classmates still live and work in the area... so even if the owner was an old Ionian, I would still see that as a coincidence. JMO

Both the Sheraton attack and disappearance of JC involved ladies leaving 5 star hotels. I have listed some timelines below of incidents around this time and mentions of yellow Toyotas.

28 May 1988
- Brutal Sheraton attack mentioned above - small yellow car, possibly a Toyota
Early June 1988 - 15 year old girl assaulted Mirrabooka Avenue - a woman in yellow Toyota took her to Mirrabooka shopping centre
20 June 1988 - JC, last seen leaving Pamelia Hilton 12:30am
13 July, 1988 - Deceased male (approx 45) found, face down & naked in the vicinity of Cottesloe's small groyne (800m away from BLF).

Of note also is that there was a previous CSK POI who drove a yellow Toyota.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...h-Western-Australia-2&p=12004353#post12004353

attachment.php

Source Perth newspaper early June 1988.

Does that description remind anyone of Moray? Who is the woman? Seems she didn't turn up again, to answer questions. Is it just a co-incidence that a yellow car is involved or could she have been around at the other incident when the woman was based for 3 hours?

Attachments

• Girl_15escapes_attacker_May_Jun_1988.JPG
    Girl_15escapes_attacker_May_Jun_1988.JPG
    46.4 KB · Views: 115
Ewood66,

Thank you for the feedback. The information about the name change was vague. It looks as though her married name was Kaiser. Lorrin Whitehead married a Kaiser.

Yes, the Whitehead name seemed familiar, which is why I went hunting on google for an image of her... there is something vaguely familiar about her face, but shows her as an adult and I can't quite place her.

These are some notes I have on Morey.. Ive included some links but what they refer to exactly Im unsure, sorry!! Unless someone can enlighten us, I dont know exactly when he left QLD.

Reason & exact timing unknown, but Morey was in QLD in prison until he escaped custody and fled to Perth where he committed 2x armed robberies in Midland/Guildford on 06Jan89 & 04Apr89.

On 4 January 1991, the applicant pleaded guilty before the learned sentencing Judge and was convicted of two counts of armed robbery.
You will therefore be sentenced in respect of each offence to a term of 7 years' imprisonment, the first sentence to run cumulatively with the sentence originally imposed in Queensland which you are now serving here. The second sentence is to run concurrently with the sentence I have just imposed. There will not be an order that you be eligible for parole. You will not be eligible for parole and I can say this: if you come before me again or come before this court again in respect of offences of this nature, then you could expect that there would be an order declaring you an habitual criminal and it would be accompanied then by an order that you be detained indefinitely in a prison during the Governor's pleasure."

The appellant was convicted on 26 May 2005, after trial in the Supreme Court before Miller J and a jury, of four offences. They were attempted murder, assault occasioning bodily harm, unlawful detention and making a threat with intent to prevent a person from doing an act they were lawfully entitled to do, namely, calling for help. Miller J sentenced him to a total term of 13 years 4 months' imprisonment. His Honour refused to order that the appellant be eligible for parole. Due for release 2017-2018.
http://decisions.justice.wa.gov.au/...earchVW=FALSE&searchValue=donald victor morey

The attack was in December 2003, and his trial must have been 2005. Does that mean the 13 years and 4 months without parole has been served and he is out of prison?

If so, is there any sex register that he may be on?

https://thewest.com.au/news/wa/violent-attacker-is-suspect-in-murders-ng-ya-141907

No, I don't.... but a large number of my old classmates still live and work in the area... so even if the owner was an old Ionian, I would still see that as a coincidence. JMO

Ewood, if you don't mind answering a few questions, how many students were in the graduating Yr 12 year? Did you keep in contact with Ciara or Julie after they finished school? Were all three of you in the same year? How close was the contact with Corpus Cristi church? Did the girls attend mass there during the day at all or were the priest involved at all in any religious teachings?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vinzstel