Australia Claremont Serial Killer, 1996 - 1997, Perth, Western Australia - #18

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's important to keep in mind that serial killers evolve and adapt, they can change their MO as opportunities present, circumstances change, they're on time constraints or simply because they realise they're getting too hot.

We already know the CSK has shown the ability to adapt.

Brett Christian on the CSK, veteran crime journalist of the Post in an interview. IIRC he was also the first as a journalist to join the dots between the Karrakatta rape and the murders.

"It's more like the Eric Cooke saga than people believe, and I think we'll find out one day that it very closely approximates that dreadful period of serial killings through the same residential area that happened in the 1960's. The women who were killed and injured by Eric Cooke, at the time they happened, the police made public statements saying it was not the work of the same person. Later on it was discovered he was using all sorts of different methods of locating and murdering the women, he was running them down with cars, he was stabbing them, attacking them with axes, ummm and shooting people. So there seems
to be a Hollywood myth that serial killers use only one method, they operate in only one area and that stamps them as that particular killer."

This is relevant to the sixteen murders investigators have been brought in to examine since alleged CSK's arrest and why IMO he could be up for any of them.

Daily News Thursday June 30th For God’s sake let her go , pg 1 and 2.

Sister’s pea for lost Julie. By Norm Aisbett"

It's interesting that Julie's sister might think that there's a possibility that Julie was abducted and being held. Police will never allow publicising a ransom demand or let on if they considered her disappearance being a kidnapping. The only time I've known of kidnappings to be in the press in Australia is when families go against police wishes and tell the press or the abductor communicates via the press. Julie was last sighted at the Hotel carpark, but her car is not found for a number of days. If Innerchild is correct, then the car did not enter the water (at a very public place) until a few hours before it was discovered. (Is that the equivalent to posting a finger in the mail?) Then the family pleads for her release in the Daily News. What's actually going on here?

Sent from my HTC 2PQ910 using Tapatalk

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...-Western-Australia-17&p=13695033#post13695033

Family members are convinced she did not take her own life…and they are adamant that if still alive and not being held captive somewhere, she would not sit by and simply watch such a major effort to find her…

The detectives are still interested in a call to the West Australian newspaper from a woman claiming to be Miss Cutler. The call was made after her father told a press conference he believed she was dead...

Believing Julie was still alive but being held against her will I think is an expression of hope but not likely IMO.

As a young woman it's more probable I think that JC was a victim of a sexually motivated attack. Road rage maybe but why not just leave her body in the car with her personal items?

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...-Western-Australia-17&p=13695033#post13695033

Family members are convinced she did not take her own life…and they are adamant that if still alive and not being held captive somewhere, she would not sit by and simply watch such a major effort to find her…

The detectives are still interested in a call to the West Australian newspaper from a woman claiming to be Miss Cutler. The call was made after her father told a press conference he believed she was dead...

Some info on the car, I've looked at the rear badge on the Fiat and pretty sure it's not a 125S so we can in all probability assume it was either a 4 or 5 speed manual, not an auto.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiat_125

Also, interesting to note is that Fiat 125 rust horror stories abound all over the internet.

"And even by 1975 plenty of 'em were secretly accumulating rust."

https://www.tradeuniquecars.com.au/feature-cars/1308/fiat-125-review

There's why the roof just caved in after rocking about on the ocean floor for two days and dragging it out roof down, as a twenty year old car it was likely full of rust and structurally unsound. Ie. It was starting to fall apart anyway.

That is extremely interesting ,
thanks pandit .
re; rust .

Quote :
"Also, interesting to note is that Fiat 125 rust horror stories abound all over the internet.

"And even by 1975 plenty of 'em were secretly accumulating rust."

https://www.tradeuniquecars.co...ture-cars/1308/fiat-125-review

There's why the roof just caved in after rocking about on the ocean floor for two days and dragging it out roof down, as a twenty year old car it was likely full of rust and structurally unsound. Ie. It was starting to fall apart anyway."

Believing Julie was still alive but being held against her will I think is an expression of hope but not likely IMO.

As a young woman it's more probable I think that JC was a victim of a sexually motivated attack. Road rage maybe but why not just leave her body in the car with her personal items?

"As a young woman it's more probable I think that JC was a victim of a sexually motivated attack."

Pandit,
That's a good point .
Might be the best line of enquiry to choose first regarding the motivations, you think ?

20 June 1988
As JC had worked at the Parmelia Hilton, I assume she had regular shifts. Each time JC would have travelled back and forth between Mill St, Perth and Fremantle. The majority of the journey spent along Mounts Bay Rd and Stirling Hwy.

The early morning JC disappeared was out of routine, whereby she’d been at a work function. Perhaps JC driving the Fiat was followed from the Parmelia by the perpetrator within his own vehicle.

Perhaps the perpetrator was parked at the Mounts Bay Rd, large car park which existed prior to the Convention and Exhibition Centre. JC would have travelled past that car park to get onto Mounts Bay Rd.

Three weeks before JC disappeared the incident at the Sheraton Hotel had occurred. The unnamed female (aged 45) was abducted from the car park of the Sheraton Hotel in Adelaide Tce. It’s only a few blocks from the Sheraton Hotel to the Parmelia.

Perhaps after that abduction, the perpetrator decided to use a different technique – the survivor was able to provide a statement.

End of May 1988 Abduction
45-year-old female abducted from Sheraton Hotel, Adelaide Tce, head bashed against a brick wall, dragged by hair, beaten, tied up and left at bridge in Wilson (cnr Leach Hwy & Centenary Ave). Perpetrator driving a small yellow car (possibly Toyota). Full article Article inset

Late 1989

Yet again, another abduction from a car park. Teenager abducted from car park opposite Cottesloe Hotel – bundled into the back of a station wagon. Attempted rape at Lakeway drive-in Swanbourne. Escaped but was recaptured back in Claremont. He was aged about 30 and hard whiskers (BRE was only 21 then). Post Newsp.

These are only my thoughts and opinion.

You must mean January as he wasnt in court February. The defense is waiting on documents outlining what their case is against him & what evidence they have used to charge him. The recent delay is either because they're awaiting analysis on things they've obtained since his arrest ie his computers etc or anything new thats come to light, or if we are to believe he wasnt on their radar for that long prior to arrest, they need time to put it all together.

No name - yes I meant Jan and thought I had corrected it. Thanks for the info. MOO

snipped for brevity...
Three weeks before JC disappeared the incident at the Sheraton Hotel had occurred. The unnamed female (aged 45) was abducted from the car park of the Sheraton Hotel in Adelaide Tce. It’s only a few blocks from the Sheraton Hotel to the Parmelia.

Perhaps after that abduction, the perpetrator decided to use a different technique – the survivor was able to provide a statement.

End of May 1988 Abduction
45-year-old female abducted from Sheraton Hotel, Adelaide Tce, head bashed against a brick wall, dragged by hair, beaten, tied up and left at bridge in Wilson (cnr Leach Hwy & Centenary Ave). Perpetrator driving a small yellow car (possibly Toyota). Full article Article inset

These are only my thoughts and opinion.

The unnamed 45-year-old had been at Clouds night club within the Sheraton Hotel, Adelaide Tce. About 1am when she left, she got into her car when the perpetrator opened the door and told her to move ??? The article is difficult to read, but she actually got into her car, he then opened the door spoke to her and relocated her to his car. I don't have a date for this incident except it was the end of May (3-weeks prior to JC).

Note: 1am is a similar time-frame to JCs disappearance.

I think it's important to keep in mind that serial killers evolve and adapt, they can change their MO as opportunities present, circumstances change, they're on time constraints or simply because they realise they're getting too hot.

We already know the CSK has shown the ability to adapt.

Brett Christian on the CSK, veteran crime journalist of the Post in an interview. IIRC he was also the first as a journalist to join the dots between the Karrakatta rape and the murders.

"It's more like the Eric Cooke saga than people believe, and I think we'll find out one day that it very closely approximates that dreadful period of serial killings through the same residential area that happened in the 1960's. The women who were killed and injured by Eric Cooke, at the time they happened, the police made public statements saying it was not the work of the same person. Later on it was discovered he was using all sorts of different methods of locating and murdering the women, he was running them down with cars, he was stabbing them, attacking them with axes, ummm and shooting people. So there seems
to be a Hollywood myth that serial killers use only one method, they operate in only one area and that stamps them as that particular killer."

This is relevant to the sixteen murders investigators have been brought in to examine since alleged CSK's arrest and why IMO he could be up for any of them.

Is there a map been posted on WS that shows the perimeter of the 16 murders?

Paraphrased relevant details from article "Midnight Fear Prowls Streets" - Daily News 24Jun88. Original posted previously.

28May88 - The 44 year old women had left Clouds Nightclub at the Sheraton, crossed Adelaide Terrace and got into her car on Hill st when at 1.05am man wearing driving gloves came from nowhere, like lightning and wrenched her out of her car by her hair.
What followed was such a systematic & sadistic bashing that police were to find clumps of her hair the next day amongst blood and pearls from her necklace he'd torn from her neck in his frenzy of pulverizing blows.
She believes he's in his 20's-30's.
He snarled "you stupid ******ing *****, you're going to die, you're going to die" over and over again, the words never changed.
He ground the abrasive palm into her face, Repeatedly punching her in the mouth. He bashed her against a brick wall, dragged her to a span of metal poles and beat her like a doll against them. He dragged her across the street into a courier car park, flung her face down and stepped on the base of her spine. He punched her kidneys and ground her face into the ground. Her bladder and bowels gave way.
He pulled her arms behind her and wrapped them in parcel tape stolen from the couriers. He tied the cummerbund from her dress around her mouth and then taped her ankles.
She thought she was about to be raped, instead he kept running the sticky tape around her until she was wrapped like an egyptian mummy, a cocoon.
He heaved her into the metal bucket seat of a small yellow car, possibly a toyota, when she heard the radio DJ say it was 3.45am.
She was thrown out of the car at Centenary Drive in Wilson where he ground her face into the blue metal, said "right ***** your dead" & threw plastic sheeting over her.
She listened to the car drive off, pulled the tape off and was found by a Swan Taxi driver who took her to Mount St Hospital.

Paraphrased relevant details from article "Midnight Fear Prowls Streets" - Daily News 24Jun88. Original posted previously.

28May88 - The 44 year old women had left Clouds Nightclub at the Sheraton, crossed Adelaide Terrace and got into her car on Hill st when at 1.05am man wearing driving gloves came from nowhere, like lightning and wrenched her out of her car by her hair.
What followed was such a systematic & sadistic bashing that police were to find clumps of her hair the next day amongst blood and pearls from her necklace he'd torn from her neck in his frenzy of pulverizing blows.
He snarled "you stupid ******ing *****, you're going to die, you're going to die" over and over again, the words never changed.
He ground the abrasive palm into her face, Repeatedly punching her in the mouth. He bashed her against a brick wall, dragged her to a span of metal poles and beat her like a doll against them. He dragged her across the street into a courier car park, flung her face down and stepped on the base of her spine. He punched her kidneys and ground her face into the ground. Her bladder and bowels gave way.
He pulled her arms behind her and wrapped them in parcel tape stolen from the couriers. He tied the cummerbund from her dress around her mouth and then taped her ankles.
She thought she was about to be raped, instead he kept running the sticky tape around her until she was wrapped like an egyptian mummy, a cocoon.
He heaved her into the metal bucket seat of a small yellow car, possibly a toyota, when she heard the radio DJ say it was 3.45am.
She was thrown out of the car at Centenary Drive in Wilson where he ground her face into the blue metal, said "right ***** your dead" & threw plastic sheeting over her.
She listened to the car drive off, pulled the tape off and was found by a Swan Taxi driver who took her to Mount St Hospital.
Both the Sheraton attack and disappearance of JC involved ladies leaving 5 star hotels. I have listed some timelines below of incidents around this time and mentions of yellow Toyotas.

28 May 1988
- Brutal Sheraton attack mentioned above - small yellow car, possibly a Toyota
Early June 1988 - 15 year old girl assaulted Mirrabooka Avenue - a woman in yellow Toyota took her to Mirrabooka shopping centre
20 June 1988 - JC, last seen leaving Pamelia Hilton 12:30am
13 July, 1988 - Deceased male (approx 45) found, face down & naked in the vicinity of Cottesloe's small groyne (800m away from BLF).

Of note also is that there was a previous CSK POI who drove a yellow Toyota.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...h-Western-Australia-2&p=12004353#post12004353

That was hard to read, horrifying.

Noted the attacker's car had metal/steel bucket seats, they're racer seats not standard I'm sure. How on earth could the cops not find it?

Noted the attacker's car had metal/steel bucket seats, they're racer seats not standard I'm sure. How on earth could the cops not find it?

Perhaps the metal seats were used as easier to clean away DNA. Fabric seats would retain evidence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like the attacker was a real nutter. He must have been impotent and couldn't rape the lady. I wonder where Donald Morey was around that time. MOO

No name,

Many thanks, very interesting, I've noted the information.

Sounds like the attacker was a real nutter. He must have been impotent and couldn't rape the lady. I wonder where Donald Morey was around that time. MOO
These are some notes I have on Morey.. Ive included some links but what they refer to exactly Im unsure, sorry!! Unless someone can enlighten us, I dont know exactly when he left QLD.

Reason & exact timing unknown, but Morey was in QLD in prison until he escaped custody and fled to Perth where he committed 2x armed robberies in Midland/Guildford on 06Jan89 & 04Apr89.

He returned to the eastern States and was subsequently arrested in Melbourne and extradited to Queensland where he was interviewed in relation to these offences and, upon request by the applicant, was transferred back to Western Australia pursuant to the provisions of the Prisoners (Interstate Transfer) Act 1982 (Qld).
On 4 January 1991, the applicant pleaded guilty before the learned sentencing Judge and was convicted of two counts of armed robbery.
You will therefore be sentenced in respect of each offence to a term of 7 years' imprisonment, the first sentence to run cumulatively with the sentence originally imposed in Queensland which you are now serving here. The second sentence is to run concurrently with the sentence I have just imposed. There will not be an order that you be eligible for parole. You will not be eligible for parole and I can say this: if you come before me again or come before this court again in respect of offences of this nature, then you could expect that there would be an order declaring you an habitual criminal and it would be accompanied then by an order that you be detained indefinitely in a prison during the Governor's pleasure."

The appellant was convicted on 26 May 2005, after trial in the Supreme Court before Miller J and a jury, of four offences. They were attempted murder, assault occasioning bodily harm, unlawful detention and making a threat with intent to prevent a person from doing an act they were lawfully entitled to do, namely, calling for help. Miller J sentenced him to a total term of 13 years 4 months' imprisonment. His Honour refused to order that the appellant be eligible for parole. Due for release 2017-2018.
http://decisions.justice.wa.gov.au/...earchVW=FALSE&searchValue=donald victor morey

Hi janwa

I haven't seen a map but nor have I seen any official list going back thirty years. That figure of sixteen also changed from presser to presser, it got a bit bigger and at one point I heard (I THINK it was the acting Commish) say "over seventeen murders".

Is there a map been posted on WS that shows the perimeter of the 16 murders?

Entrance to Parmelia Hilton Hotel's undercover parking, taken through an alleyway at the New Building at 58 Mounts Bay Rd that sits on the old outdoor carpark. Presumably where Julie Cutler was last seen.
95889f4216c6360862522bf7d3201412.jpg

Entrance to Parmelia Hilton Hotel's undercover parking, taken through an alleyway at the New Building at 58 Mounts Bay Rd that sits on the old outdoor carpark. Presumably where Julie Cutler was last seen.
95889f4216c6360862522bf7d3201412.jpg

Seeing those metal poles reminded me immediately of the woman who was abducted by man in yellow car

"He bashed her against a brick wall, dragged her to a span of metal poles and beat her like a doll against them."

Surely the same poles wouldn't be there twenty years later but could these be the same kind of poles referred to above?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gerardclori