Australia Claremont Serial Killer, 1996 - 1997, Perth, Western Australia - #21

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why did accused BRE choose that particular clown?

Maybe the clue as to why the cover photo clown pic on the accused FB page was posted and is still there, is in the choice of that particular clown.

Was the accused or someone close to him into making prank calls for a laugh and the clown pic a very personal message?
It's all part of the bigger question, that had been mulling around since before the infamous question posed by journalist Gary Hughes.
Did the perpetrator taunt the KK victim with a phone call, taunt victims familys, taunt witnesses or police. Notes, phone calls, online activities? Even a post on the accused facebook page takes on another subliminal meaning of laughing at the world accordingly in the minds of those pursuing an answer to the bigger question.
It's a bit like trying to find a rational answer to irrational criminal behaviours.

Sent from my HTC 2PQ910 using Tapatalk
05cee50484d0d8857dc45fe2a1163543.jpg

If you go back to the start of the CSK investigation but armed with the knowledge of who BRE is , his employment , his residence etc. ... facts only

The police thought the main suspect in the case would be a taxi driver ... the amount of time , energy and resources spent on looking at the taxi industry says to me that this was based on evidence ... not on someones hunch

With that in mind , how do you place BRE in a taxi

What happens to retired taxis , can you buy one with door logos , light on the roof etc.,,, the plates would be gone

Do taxis from accidents wind up in wreckers yards with roof lights attached

Are the lights stolen from taxis and seen as acts of vandalism

If there is a way to put BRE behind the wheel of a taxi it makes things fall into place a lot easier ... and a fake taxi would not have to be perfect , its nighttime , people are wanting to see a taxi , that the car did not have taxi plates would not be noticed

The investigation into taxis did not find a suspect ... but now there is a suspect ... how was he connected to a taxi

Hi El Gordo,

The taxi angle being raised again is a good idea, like looking again with "fresh eyes" as a new investigative team does, goes back over everything, from the beginning, and based on what we know are the FACTS. Even though my father drove a taxi for 15 years I only know what happened when he finished was he sold his "plates" to someone else, but what happens to old taxis I don't know. I'm intrigued and am doing research on it now, but I think Bunnie would be your expert perhaps on this disposal and the possibility of getting a taxi light (easy for an electrician to hook one up as a dummy light I would expect), from a wrecker's yard? I found this article about the often unreported rapes being carried out by taxi drivers, very frightening, and a perfect disguise for a rapist? This is article is from 2013 and I'm sure the taxi industry has been "cleaned up" a lots since then, but this is terrifying reading. Just another idea perhaps he was borrowing a taxi from a mate (and paying him a "percentage") and saying he needed to earn a few extra bucks doing the dreaded night shifts for him? This way the CSK wouldn't get picked up in the DNA testing as he wasn't a licensed driver or visible unlicensed driver as I doubt the "lender" would fess up to lending his cab out illegally, and perhaps the real taxi driver was afraid of the CSK, or, couldn't believe it would be HIM???

https://www.theage.com.au/national/...he-reality-of-cab-attacks-20130920-2u56s.html

QUOTE:
"One young woman wrote: "I got into the front of a cab drunk after having a fight with a boy I was with.
''It was 2am and raining, the cab driver approached me and asked me if I needed a lift.
"I told him I only had enough money to get me so far and then he could drop me. He agreed. In hindsight it was stupid but I was 19, drunk and alone.
"He proceeded to tell me I wouldn't have to pay, slowing the car and attempting to grab me.

"He didn't lock the door and I escaped after he attempted to force himself on me.
"Almost three years later and last week I had a cab driver try to kiss me when he dropped me off. I'm at a loss at the moment as to what mode of safe transport is available to me as a single female."

Yes, you can buy old taxi lights still today over the internet. Back then, probably at the wreckers. An uncle, who was in demolition and a bit of a collector had one in his offices on the wall.

He could have stolen a taxi light, rigged one up himself for a guy with his skills it wouldn't be hard. Or he had access to a working regulated taxi, which doesn't seem likely as it appears his Telstra vehicle was used in at least two abductions. The white Camry station wagon which I believe was he and Esuiw's family car, a possibility for Sarah Spiers.

This has been discussed but agree, presenting as a taxi seems the easiest way to get the girls into the car. Flick the kiddy locks on and they're gone.

Wow Pandit I had no idea it was THAT easy to get old taxi ID! How scary! And your scenario sounds much more plausible than mine. Did they have kiddy locks back then though? Just asking, totally ignorant of automobiles of any kind. Didn't get my license till I was 30 and can only drive an automatic, well I call it driving anyway!

It's all part of the bigger question, that had been mulling around since before the infamous question posed by journalist Gary Hughes.
Did the perpetrator taunt the KK victim with a phone call, taunt victims familys, taunt witnesses or police. Notes, phone calls, online activities? Even a post on the accused facebook page takes on another subliminal meaning of laughing at the world accordingly in the minds of those pursuing an answer to the bigger question.
It's a bit like trying to find a rational answer to irrational criminal behaviours.

cache.php
IMO BRE could have obtained the KK victim details from the drivers licence which was found near the abduction scene or perhaps he actually knew the victim (hence not speaking during the attack, perhaps voice identifiable).

Potentially the Accused could have looked up the KK victim's phone number from work. There is an early clue re the Telstra connection.

Similarly SS father's phone number could have been looked up at work - would imagine BRE would have had easy access to phone numbers.

If you go back to the start of the CSK investigation but armed with the knowledge of who BRE is , his employment , his residence etc. ... facts only

The police thought the main suspect in the case would be a taxi driver ... the amount of time , energy and resources spent on looking at the taxi industry says to me that this was based on evidence ... not on someones hunch

With that in mind , how do you place BRE in a taxi

What happens to retired taxis , can you buy one with door logos , light on the roof etc.,,, the plates would be gone

Do taxis from accidents wind up in wreckers yards with roof lights attached

Are the lights stolen from taxis and seen as acts of vandalism

If there is a way to put BRE behind the wheel of a taxi it makes things fall into place a lot easier ... and a fake taxi would not have to be perfect , its nighttime , people are wanting to see a taxi , that the car did not have taxi plates would not be noticed

The investigation into taxis did not find a suspect ... but now there is a suspect ... how was he connected to a taxi
Brightshine motor wreckers, Division St Welshpool. Not far from the Telstra Complex on Kewdale Rd. The owner was a sponsor of of a speedway car driven by the owner of Barry Blake Gearboxes which used to be on the corner of Welshpool Rd and Railway Parade Welshpool. If the accused was indeed a speedway fan, he might've preferred to go to a local wreckers yard that was associated with the speedway, in the hope that dropping names or talking about the speedway that he would be privileged with discounts or maybe freebies for any parts that he wanted to procure.

Hi El Gordo,

The taxi angle being raised again is a good idea, like looking again with "fresh eyes" as a new investigative team does, goes back over everything, from the beginning, and based on what we know are the FACTS. Even though my father drove a taxi for 15 years I only know what happened when he finished was he sold his "plates" to someone else, but what happens to old taxis I don't know. I'm intrigued and am doing research on it now, but I think Bunnie would be your expert perhaps on this disposal and the possibility of getting a taxi light (easy for an electrician to hook one up as a dummy light I would expect), from a wrecker's yard? I found this article about the often unreported rapes being carried out by taxi drivers, very frightening, and a perfect disguise for a rapist? This is article is from 2013 and I'm sure the taxi industry has been "cleaned up" a lots since then, but this is terrifying reading. Just another idea perhaps he was borrowing a taxi from a mate (and paying him a "percentage") and saying he needed to earn a few extra bucks doing the dreaded night shifts for him? This way the CSK wouldn't get picked up in the DNA testing as he wasn't a licensed driver or visible unlicensed driver as I doubt the "lender" would fess up to lending his cab out illegally, and perhaps the real taxi driver was afraid of the CSK, or, couldn't believe it would be HIM???

https://www.theage.com.au/national/...he-reality-of-cab-attacks-20130920-2u56s.html

QUOTE:
"One young woman wrote: "I got into the front of a cab drunk after having a fight with a boy I was with.
''It was 2am and raining, the cab driver approached me and asked me if I needed a lift.
"I told him I only had enough money to get me so far and then he could drop me. He agreed. In hindsight it was stupid but I was 19, drunk and alone.
"He proceeded to tell me I wouldn't have to pay, slowing the car and attempting to grab me.

"He didn't lock the door and I escaped after he attempted to force himself on me.
"Almost three years later and last week I had a cab driver try to kiss me when he dropped me off. I'm at a loss at the moment as to what mode of safe transport is available to me as a single female."

Hi , I don't really want to rake over old ground but it is difficult to look at things without returning to things that have been discussed before
I am coming at this looking for a taxi rather than a driver ... I imagine taxis have use by dates , if I knew where to or how to look for a list of defunct taxis from the time I would start with the 1990 commodore that has been mentioned by the police ... was that model a taxi ... what happened to them after use as taxis ... if that got nowhere then expand it

I'm just thinking you cannot find a finish if you do not have a start .... once again this is purely guess work on my part

Hi , I don't really want to rake over old ground but it is difficult to look at things without returning to things that have been discussed before
I am coming at this looking for a taxi rather than a driver ... I imagine taxis have use by dates , if I knew where to or how to look for a list of defunct taxis from the time I would start with the 1990 commodore that has been mentioned by the police ... was that model a taxi ... what happened to them after use as taxis ... if that got nowhere then expand it

I'm just thinking you cannot find a finish if you do not have a start .... once again this is purely guess work on my part

Hi again El Gordo,

Still looking, looking.... but I've found a few things. How about buying a nice new looking Swan Taxi Jacket online, now wouldn't that make a nice "fit" for someone posing as a taxi driver. Amazed someone can sell this online? Here's one I found earlier;

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/armadale/jackets-coats/swan-taxi-jackets/1139538166

I haven't had much luck with the 1990 Commodore angle yet, but if the taxi light could be picked up easily from a wreckers and perhaps a bomber jacket (ex op shop perhaps? I know I've run some large op shops in Perth and we used to get full ex security guard uniforms, bank uniforms, etc. all the time. I wouldn't put them out, just binned them of course, but you'd be very surprised what is donated, and also garage sales. I know this is the "long game" but some of these SKs like to take their time with preparation and planning (some, not all) part of the excitement and their "cleverness"/deception?). And you'd get people coming in and asking for uniforms for "dress up nights"/fancy dress, or whatever they were doing with them and could you please ring them as it was for a special thing they were planning. No, I would NOT ring anyone about any dress-up uniforms, but hey, many staff would think nothing of this. That's about all you'd need really on a dark night, woman alone, getting a bit scared perhaps, having doubts about walking off alone now, blokes driving past maybe wolf whistling (as they did in those days), ah... taxi light, finally, thank heavens! Get in quickly and home to bed. Oh those poor defenceless women.

Interesting article makes you wonder how many crimes are sold by 'policing' as opposed to DNA and dob ins.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/la...d/news-story/749b192ac0af4e867d2f5c0698b58b7e

NEW TECHNOLOGY SPARKS DNA BREAKTHROUGHS

The first use of DNA to solve a crime anywhere in the world was in England in 1986.
Yet four years before that, Victoria Police scientists had the good sense to start freezing and storing things like cigarette butts, hairs, blood, semen, sweat and saliva found at crime scenes.
They did so in the hope that one day those exhibits would be useful clues in solving crimes.
That day has come.
The foresight shown in storing crime scene evidence at minus 70 degrees in a freezer at the Victoria Police forensic services department is now paying huge dividends.
DNA obtained from the freezer full of old exhibits from 582 crime scenes has so far helped the cold case unit at Victoria Police’s sexual crimes squad to solve 35 cases since it was formed in 2012.
Four sex cases relating to DNA from the freezer are currently before the courts and briefs of evidence are almost completed against several other alleged rapists.
Detectives from the cold case sex crimes unit are actively investigating 47 other attacks on women and children as a result of evidence obtained from the frozen exhibits.
Tests on the frozen exhibits have identified a further 193 unsolved sex cases that will be investigated as resources become available.
Victoria Police Deputy Commissioner Graham Ashton yesterday praised the initiative of detectives and scientists in storing the samples long before DNA was a usable tool for police to identify people.

Although not hearing much about whether the Rimmer family had prank calls, I imagine that they did and it seems to be a theme around these crimes going back to the earliest we know of, the KK victim.

IMO we can assume it's likely it was the accused who rang the KK victim, we know he handled and discarded her license (Brett Christian article) so it's highly possible he also was one of those who rang the Spiers and Glennon families (maybe Rimmer).

The police should have had record and trace put on all their phones pretty quick, is there a reason why they couldn't trace all the calls? Could it be that BRE used his tech skills to thwart a successful trace?

Could the fact that he used his tech skills in the commission of his crimes, or to avoid detection, be why the police have said this case is so complicated (aside from the science) and this forms part of the prosecutions case?

IMO BRE could have obtained the KK victim details from the drivers licence which was found near the abduction scene or perhaps he actually knew the victim (hence not speaking during the attack, perhaps voice identifiable).

Potentially the Accused could have looked up the KK victim's phone number from work. There is an early clue re the Telstra connection.

Similarly SS father's phone number could have been looked up at work - would imagine BRE would have had easy access to phone numbers.

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]I[/FONT]Caught by familial DNA

n June 2008, a 19-year-old man from Nottingham was arrested for careless and inconsiderate driving. The police took his photograph, his fingerprints and a swab from the inside of his cheek to get his DNA profile. This is routine procedure whenever someone's arrested for a recordable offence – any that is punishable by imprisonment, along with a few others, including those committed by football hooligans, prostitutes, beggars or poachers. Details of convictions and offenders are recorded on the police national computer. You don't have to be convicted, however, for your DNA profile to be kept on the national crime intelligence DNA database: it's enough just to be arrested for a recordable offence. A few months after the DNA profile of the 19-year-old careless driver was uploaded to the database, it was flagged as a close but not perfect match to the profile of the probable killer of Colette Aram.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Aram, a 16-year-old trainee hairdresser from Keyworth in Nottinghamshire, was abducted, raped and strangled on 30 October 1983 – five years before the careless driver was born. (Her murder was featured in the first ever episode of Crimewatchin 1984.) The police had a few circumstantial leads to go on: a stolen red Ford Fiesta; a handwritten message from the killer saying they'd never catch him; a paper towel recovered from the toilet of a pub, the Generous Briton, where shortly after the murder a man with blood under his fingernails had eaten a ham sandwich, drunk a pint of orange juice and lemonade, and told the landlady an unlikely story about having driven up the M1 to see some friends who weren't in. Twenty thousand people were interviewed in the course of the investigation, but the killer wasn't found.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]In October 2008, on the 25th anniversary of the murder, Nottinghamshire police announced they had new evidence, derived using the latest forensic DNA analysis techniques. (DNA profiling didn't exist when Aram was murdered, and the national DNA database wouldn't come into existence for another 12 years.) They could now "say with certainty" that Aram had been in the red Fiesta, and that her killer had gone to the Generous Briton. They also had his DNA profile. But it didn't match any of the four million profiles on the database. A new tactic was called for.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[FONT=&quot]Advertisement[/FONT]

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The database was searched again, this time for "near misses": profiles similar enough to the killer's that they could belong to a member of his family. The DNA of the 300 closest (male) hits was then re-examined, this time looking at markers on the Y-chromosome: as all the DNA on this is passed from father to son, it's a very good indicator of familial relationships between men (allowing for mutations, my father, uncle, cousin and his son all have the same Y-chromosome as me, inherited from my grandfather). But all 300 near misses came back negative. As more profiles were added to the database, the same checks were carried out.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Eventually, after 600 near misses had been re-tested, the markers on the 19-year-old careless driver's Y-chromosome came up as a match for the killer's. His father and two uncles were arrested in April 2009. Their swabs were flown to the forensics lab by helicopter (the custody clock was ticking) and a positive match to the killer's profile confirmed within nine hours. The careless driver's father, Paul Hutchinson, a 51-year-old newspaper delivery agent, was charged with Colette Aram's murder. He pleaded guilty on 21 December, and on 25 January was sentenced to life imprisonment

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2010/apr/10/dna-analysis-crime-solving[/FONT]

Although not hearing much about whether the Rimmer family had prank calls, I imagine that they did and it seems to be a theme around these crimes going back to the earliest we know of, the KK victim.
IMO we can assume it's likely it was the accused who rang the KK victim, we know he handled and discarded her license (Brett Christian article) so it's highly possible he also was one of those who rang the Spiers and Glennon families (maybe Rimmer).
Where has it been said that the KK victim received phone calls?
The only article I know of that says someone received a call and the police didnt know how they got their number wasnt referring to KK. The snippet posted recently by Petedavo was from the article "Phone Fear in 90's Rape" POST Newspaper by David Cowen.
"A women who was raped in the 90's has had frightening memories revived after a man was charged with the Claremont serial killings.
The women now in her 40's was sexually assaulted before a girl was raped at Karrakatta Cemetary in 1995.
She phoned police after Bradley Robert Edwards (48) was charged last month over the Karrakatta crime and others...
In a horrifying twist the women was telephoned and taunted...."

Some recent comments might be bordering upon being Sub Judice.
No, strike that, are SubJudicial.
I'd discourage posting any opinions about the case being wrapped up or pleas of guilty or anything asserting an opinion of the potential findings of the Court. Please be careful of stating opinions upon how the court process will play out.
The Court will determine if the prosecution has proved beyond reasonable doubt the allegations against the accused.
A fair and unprejudiced trial is the main fulcrum upon which confidence in Rule of Law rests.
Or as Agatha Christie wrote for the main character in her book, "without rule of law, we become nothing, but savages in the street.
https://youtu.be/JQRVJF4u-GE

[FONT=&amp][FONT=&amp]I[/FONT]Caught by familial DNA

n June 2008, a 19-year-old man from Nottingham was arrested for careless and inconsiderate driving. The police took his photograph, his fingerprints and a swab from the inside of his cheek to get his DNA profile. This is routine procedure whenever someone's arrested for a recordable offence – any that is punishable by imprisonment, along with a few others, including those committed by football hooligans, prostitutes, beggars or poachers. Details of convictions and offenders are recorded on the police national computer. You don't have to be convicted, however, for your DNA profile to be kept on the national crime intelligence DNA database: it's enough just to be arrested for a recordable offence. A few months after the DNA profile of the 19-year-old careless driver was uploaded to the database, it was flagged as a close but not perfect match to the profile of the probable killer of Colette Aram.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Aram, a 16-year-old trainee hairdresser from Keyworth in Nottinghamshire, was abducted, raped and strangled on 30 October 1983 – five years before the careless driver was born. (Her murder was featured in the first ever episode of Crimewatchin 1984.) The police had a few circumstantial leads to go on: a stolen red Ford Fiesta; a handwritten message from the killer saying they'd never catch him; a paper towel recovered from the toilet of a pub, the Generous Briton, where shortly after the murder a man with blood under his fingernails had eaten a ham sandwich, drunk a pint of orange juice and lemonade, and told the landlady an unlikely story about having driven up the M1 to see some friends who weren't in. Twenty thousand people were interviewed in the course of the investigation, but the killer wasn't found.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]In October 2008, on the 25th anniversary of the murder, Nottinghamshire police announced they had new evidence, derived using the latest forensic DNA analysis techniques. (DNA profiling didn't exist when Aram was murdered, and the national DNA database wouldn't come into existence for another 12 years.) They could now "say with certainty" that Aram had been in the red Fiesta, and that her killer had gone to the Generous Briton. They also had his DNA profile. But it didn't match any of the four million profiles on the database. A new tactic was called for.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]
[FONT=&amp]Advertisement[/FONT]

[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]The database was searched again, this time for "near misses": profiles similar enough to the killer's that they could belong to a member of his family. The DNA of the 300 closest (male) hits was then re-examined, this time looking at markers on the Y-chromosome: as all the DNA on this is passed from father to son, it's a very good indicator of familial relationships between men (allowing for mutations, my father, uncle, cousin and his son all have the same Y-chromosome as me, inherited from my grandfather). But all 300 near misses came back negative. As more profiles were added to the database, the same checks were carried out.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Eventually, after 600 near misses had been re-tested, the markers on the 19-year-old careless driver's Y-chromosome came up as a match for the killer's. His father and two uncles were arrested in April 2009. Their swabs were flown to the forensics lab by helicopter (the custody clock was ticking) and a positive match to the killer's profile confirmed within nine hours. The careless driver's father, Paul Hutchinson, a 51-year-old newspaper delivery agent, was charged with Colette Aram's murder. He pleaded guilty on 21 December, and on 25 January was sentenced to life imprisonment

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2010/apr/10/dna-analysis-crime-solving[/FONT]

What an incredible story, thank you Janwa for sharing that. Talk about the long arm of the law, it certainly had to stretch back a long way, but they got him. Fabulous determined police work. Reminded me of Churchill's famous words,"Never, never, never give up!" Think that says it all really!

Happy Easter to the people who celebrate in a religious way. Enjoy the break and take care on the roads. Five lovely days to relax. I’m not religious but am partial to a hot crossed bun😛 Maybe there will be time for sleuthing.

Did they ever use a taxi in the Speedway demo derby at all....

Did they ever use a taxi in the Speedway demo derby at all....
Dunno. Probably ex taxis. The easiest way to dispose of a vehicle so that it can't ever be found, is to take it to Sims metal on Welshpool Rd, because they crush them, send them to their foundry in Melbourne and melt them down. I presume that that's what happens to cars after a demo derby. It'd also be what happens to cars after the wreckers have finished selling any parts that they can strip off them. IMO if the Camry that police are looking for still exists, I'd try the wreckers yards first.

An interesting point of view, albeit Catherine Birnie's.
http://thewest2.smedia.com.au/Olive...px?href=WAN/2010/04/24&id=Ar02802&sk=6A355004
cache.php

Who is being quoted here PD?

It's very interesting as Paul Ferguson later went to talk to David Birnie. I don't have the link, but think they talked not long before Birnie died.

Ferguson, who led the Macro taskforce set up to probe the murders, said it was sadistic Birnie, who took his own life in jail in 2005, who suggested an interview, writing from prison: “I can tell you from a serial killer’s perspective what I’d be thinking if it was me.”

http://www.news.com.au/entertainmen...e/news-story/fd170850c677d6e1abdc19261cf01bbb

[FONT=&quot]Ferguson was not fan of Catherine.

Describing Birnie as a "witch", Mr Ferguson said he was convinced Birnie would continue to pose a danger to the community. "Catherine Birnie was a cold, calculating killer," he said. "That woman forfeited any right to her freedom the day she abducted and killed those girls."

[/FONT]
https://thewest.com.au/news/australia/birnie-witch-must-stay-in-jail-ng-ya-225572

Brightshine motor wreckers, Division St Welshpool. Not far from the Telstra Complex on Kewdale Rd. The owner was a sponsor of of a speedway car driven by the owner of Barry Blake Gearboxes which used to be on the corner of Welshpool Rd and Railway Parade Welshpool. If the accused was indeed a speedway fan, he might've preferred to go to a local wreckers yard that was associated with the speedway, in the hope that dropping names or talking about the speedway that he would be privileged with discounts or maybe freebies for any parts that he wanted to procure.

Dunno. Probably ex taxis. The easiest way to dispose of a vehicle so that it can't ever be found, is to take it to Sims metal on Welshpool Rd, because they crush them, send them to their foundry in Melbourne and melt them down. I presume that that's what happens to cars after a demo derby. It'd also be what happens to cars after the wreckers have finished selling any parts that they can strip off them. IMO if the Camry that police are looking for still exists, I'd try the wreckers yards first.

Hmmm ... so maybe a 19 year old speedway fan who may have been involved in an abduction of a young 22 year old from the car park of the Parmilia Hilton Hotel on the 20th June 1988 could have been hooning around in her car. If he did have an accident and dented or made the car undrivable he would have a few contacts then for a tow?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CP95