Australia Claremont Serial Killer, 1996-1997, Perth, Western Australia - #8 ARREST*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
What I want to know is this:- Somewhere there was a reference to the use of 'familial DNA' in one of the news articles. If so, which of his blood relatives got busted and DNA tested?
It was thrown in an article in the Australian but it did not say it was used but mentioned it .
Having said that though it could merely be a case of the police getting DNA from a relative of his and testing it to confirm they were on the right path or a complete red herring but it was odd how it was dropped in the article.

I was unaware familial DNA testing was done by police in Australia.

We can see from FB likes that BE is into goth culture and androgynous artists like The Cure and Marilyn Manson. This and the whole women's clothing thing, and the cops asking I think a suspects brother if he liked dressing up in women's clothes.... what does this mean for the nature of the crimes committed and what does it say about BE?
These are pretty mainstream artists though. If he was really into goth he'd be liking artists most of us would not have heard of. The oddest one wss skunkandnansie (spelling?) but I think I have heard of them on Triple J in the 90s.

I think the Fb profile is just part of him maintaining a relatively normal image with a slight hint of his sense of humour. His true desires/persona would be more carefully protected and/or only exposed in much more private and anonymous areas of the Internet.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

I've always found that moving away from something quickly makes you want to move away from that thing faster. When I was a kid when I started running away from something that was when it got really scary. Must have something to do with activating the flight part of the fight or flight response.
See the old character storylines in Home Alone 1 and 2

<modsnip>, could she have attended Iona? Is she the link between BE and his vics (didn't all 3 attend Iona)?

Doesn't make sense to me that a poor Huntingdale/Gosnells kid with limited social skills and a modest income could lure a worldly older young woman from the Western suburbs, so maybe not.

But maybe they met online? Ie 90s chat forums could have bridged the social/distance divide and maybe she shares same sense of humour/interests etc. She may also have been vulnerable as a young single mum in a Catholic community.

Just my thoughts

Yes this is plausible, i have come across some very religious females that are incredibly poor judges of men. Can be very naive, indeed I suspect some men may pray on these church group women who always see the best in everyone.

So we have two possible scenarios:- 1) They suspected Edwards and went searching for a relative they could test. 2) That relative offended and the DNA turned out to be a close match with the CSK.

It comes down to what was in the file for the 1988 case once they realised it was linked. If BE was already a suspect in that case, scenario 1 would have played out. Otherwise, it was probably 2.

[video=youtube;hbbg-FVij4c]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbbg-FVij4c[/video]

So all the you tube comments by many say the video has been edited. I concur. Of course it was a multi camera that changed angles but also separately edited in more ways than one. Also this video also was not released until a long long time after it all.... What is the only reason it would not have been released? Did WAPOL release any video footage of crimes in general prior to this? Let alone the 3rd victim in the area and no release!?!? The biggest case in WA history...

These are pretty mainstream artists though. If he was really into goth he'd be liking artists most of us would not have heard of. The oddest one wss skunkandnansie (spelling?) but I think I have heard of them on Triple J in the 90s.

I think the Fb profile is just part of him maintaining a relatively normal image with a slight hint of his sense of humour. His true desires/persona would be more carefully protected and/or only exposed in much more private and anonymous areas of the Internet.

Doesn't he also like Simply Red on that FB page? None of it strikes me as particularly eclectic.

It comes down to what was in the file for the 1988 case once they realised it was linked. If BE was already a suspect in that case, scenario 1 would have played out. Otherwise, it was probably 2.

Agreed. My thoughts precisely.

[video=youtube;hbbg-FVij4c]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbbg-FVij4c[/video]

So all the you tube comments by many say the video has been edited. I concur. Of course it was a multi camera that changed angles but also separately edited in more ways than one. Also this video also was not released until a long long time after it all.... What is the only reason it would not have been released? Did WAPOL release any video footage of crimes in general prior to this? Let alone the 3rd victim in the area and no release!?!? The biggest case in WA history...
Multiple arguments for this
1. they had been burnt releasing info before i.e. been overwhelmed with unhelpful info
2. they believed they already had the guy LW
3. they didn't want people to narrow their scope of who may be involved like has been done in other cases with car colours or make/model

I haven't spoken to anyone who believes it was the correct decision to not release the tape.

Doesn't he also like Simply Red on that FB page? None of it strikes me as particularly eclectic.
Inxs I remember also. Very mainstream. Eagles member since 98 and also seen wearing Eagles caps in LAC photos.

As someone said earlier we like to think serial killers sit around all day plotting their crimes but it's entirely possible that they spend 99% of their time as the rest of us do and that their interests are completely genuine.

<modsnip> Did anyone see in BE's school yearbook that his life ambition was to be a life member of A.A.? Because he liked (or hated) a drink, or was just taking the piss?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So we have two possible scenarios:- 1) They suspected Edwards and went searching for a relative they could test. 2) That relative offended and the DNA turned out to be a close match with the CSK.
That doesn't fit in with the kimono case.
Unless WAPOL have digitised their files from pre 90's and did a search on Edwards, he may have been a suspect in the hutingdale incident, but it is such a common name.

The reference to it in the article is bizarre, it was the last sentence to the article, so odd.

[FONT=&amp]"Next came the technique sometimes called &#8220;familial DNA&#8221; where police look for people who are closely related to a suspected offender."
[/FONT]
https://t.co/xhsJn7hvv6

Someone should ask @[FONT=&amp]paigeataylor[/FONT] exactly what she wanted to say that was redacted by her legal department me thinks.

That doesn't fit in with the kimono case.
Unless WAPOL have digitised their files from pre 90's and did a search on Edwards, he may have been a suspect in the hutingdale incident, but it is such a common name.

The reference to it in the article is bizarre, it was the last sentence to the article, so odd.

[FONT=&amp]"Next came the technique sometimes called &#8220;familial DNA&#8221; where police look for people who are closely related to a suspected offender."
[/FONT]
https://t.co/xhsJn7hvv6

Someone should ask @[FONT=&amp]paigeataylor[/FONT] exactly what she wanted to say that was redacted by her legal department me thinks.

Likely the DNA match with the Kimono led the Police to review everything they knew about incidents around that time in the area, including any problematic kids. Most serial killers have long histories of low level anti social behaviour. Perhaps when they matched Kimono man to the CSK he came onto their radar as a local delinquent. Maybe they couldn't get DNA from him just because he'd been mean to a cat or been suspected of graffitiing the local school 30 years before?

Before the Kimono match they'd probably never made any connection to Huntingdale and had focused more on the coastal suburbs. IDK, it's all surmise.

Likely the DNA match with the Kimono led the Police to review everything they knew about incidents around that time in the area, including any problematic kids. Most serial killers have long histories of low level anti social behaviour. Perhaps when they matched Kimono man to the CSK he came onto their radar as a local delinquent. Maybe they couldn't get DNA from him just because he'd been mean to a cat or been suspected of graffitiing the local school 30 years before?

Before the Kimono match they'd probably never made any connection to Huntingdale and had focused more on the coastal suburbs. IDK, it's all surmise.

I understand what you are trying to say but it doesn't add up.

You don't need a warrant to obtain DNA indirectly but they may have found it easier to simply get a swab from a relative once they could not get a sample from him via whatever means rather than potentially spook BE. They may have gone through POIs in the kimono case and he refused to provide swab, which he is allowed to, then they need to obtain DNA via another link.

WAPOL are known to set up a breath test along known time/route of an offender and use mouthpieces to get DNA.

I would love to think BE had no idea this was coming but knowing WAPOL I'm not confident.

I understand what you are trying to say but it doesn't add up.

You don't need a warrant to obtain DNA indirectly but they may have found it easier to simply get a swab from a relative once they could not get a sample from him via whatever means rather than potentially spook BE. They may have gone through POIs in the kimono case and he refused to provide swab, which he is allowed to, then they need to obtain DNA via another link.

WAPOL are known to set up a breath test along known time/route of an offender and use mouthpieces to get DNA.

I would love to think BE had no idea this was coming but knowing WAPOL I'm not confident.

I'm not attached to any of the ideas I've floated, just thinking out load. It's just that the Kimono match was made some time ago. I can't remember exactly but a year or two wasn't it? That match would have seemed like manna from heaven for the investigators after so long. Make the match, throw the resources of the Macro Task Force behind the Huntingdale investigation......but still it took quite a while to get to where we are now. I can't help but wonder what has happened in the intervening time.

As I said, I'm not really attached to any theories I may propose, I'm just glad that they seem to have their man. Everything else is immaterial

I'm not attached to any of the ideas I've floated, just thinking out load. It's just that the Kimono match was made some time ago. I can't remember exactly but a year or two wasn't it? That match would have seemed like manna from heaven for the investigators after so long. Make the match, throw the resources of the Macro Task Force behind the Huntingdale investigation......but still it took quite a while to get to where we are now. I can't help but wonder what has happened in the intervening time.

As I said, I'm not really attached to any theories I may propose, I'm just glad that they seem to have their man. Everything else is immaterial
That is incorrect.

The Kimono was never tested untill just recently in the last few months when they decided to test it for DNA as part of an initiative for testing evidence from old crimes.. the DNA then came up a match for CSK. They then used proper investigative techniques to narrow down the suspect from the old Huntingdale rape file.

---------------------------------------------------
"
Her screams caused him to flee and police believe he dropped the stolen kimono as he ran from the home.

The case was never solved and the robe was put into storage at WA Police’s evidence receival centre, where it sat unnoticed until a few months ago.

In a continuing operation to retest old evidence, State Crime Operations officers ran DNA tests on the kimono.

Police claim the DNA samples came back as a match to samples already on the police database — samples that had been recovered from the body of the third Claremont victim, Ciara Glennon, and from a 17-year-old woman grabbed in a Claremont street in 1995 and then assaulted at the nearby Karrakatta Cemetery"
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.da...t/news-story/7354e965cc2d7d087d7d207ae1d04d20
-----------------------------------------------------

Can we please stick to the facts please. Alot of this is documented in the media so no reason for infactual info to be posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeDee214