Australia Claremont Serial Killer, 1996-1997, Perth, Western Australia - #8 ARREST*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
That is incorrect.

The Kimono was never tested untill just recently in the last few months when they decided to test it for DNA as part of an initiative for testing evidence from old crimes.. the DNA then came up a match for CSK. They then used proper investigative techniques to narrow down the suspect from the old Huntingdale rape file.

---------------------------------------------------
"
Her screams caused him to flee and police believe he dropped the stolen kimono as he ran from the home.

The case was never solved and the robe was put into storage at WA Police’s evidence receival centre, where it sat unnoticed until a few months ago.

In a continuing operation to retest old evidence, State Crime Operations officers ran DNA tests on the kimono.

Police claim the DNA samples came back as a match to samples already on the police database — samples that had been recovered from the body of the third Claremont victim, Ciara Glennon, and from a 17-year-old woman grabbed in a Claremont street in 1995 and then assaulted at the nearby Karrakatta Cemetery"
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.da...t/news-story/7354e965cc2d7d087d7d207ae1d04d20
-----------------------------------------------------

<modsnip>

I stand corrected. As I stated, I wasn't sure of the timing. <modsnip>

Anything further back?

Can see that the Gemini doesn't move for quite awhile probably disposed of in the end.
That tells me the shed/garage is too full to be used for a car as the main access is always blocked

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's all I've got... from this source anyway... others may have something older

So we have two possible scenarios:- 1) They suspected Edwards and went searching for a relative they could test. 2) That relative offended and the DNA turned out to be a close match with the CSK.

Obviously I don't know but gut feeling tells me number 2. I just don't think they had any idea who this guy was until the familial DNA hit. It's hard to know, DNA matches impossible just five years ago are par for the course now in terms of the ability to both get viable DNA profiles from unpromising situations and the accuracy of matches.

It was neither scenario 1 or 2 it was scenario 3. Random D@A test was positive, charged, results put in queue for testing, connect to recently filed info, make plan, search and arrest.

I really want to know how they linked BE to the Huntingdale assault. I'm thinking he wasn't a suspect, because surely any rape suspect from that era would have been on the CSK suspect list? I know WAPOL supposedly had tunnel vision, but surely if they are going to go to the trouble of DNA testing all the taxi drivers, and then all the panel van owners, surely they would have tested all rape suspects too, even in unrelated cases? I could be totally wrong, but I would think the list of potential rape suspects would be shorter than the list of taxi/panel van drivers.

I thnk it's too much of a coincidence that they got the kimono breakthrough a few months ago, then around the same time a family member offends and gets their DNA recorded. So what led them to BE?

Also unlikely that the guy with the rape kit in the boot that was pulled over by the cop was him. The cop must have taken his name, and when LW was ruled out surely he would have been DNA tested? WAPOL can't be that incompetent. Regardless of whether he was CSK, they should have his name on a list somewhere just for being extremely creepy.

Some of my other thoughts and observations (regarding his psyche/personality/relationships, not the actual case):

It has been reported that he has worked for Telstra for 30 years, so straight out of school. Unlikely he is university educated.

Someone commented earlier about the state of his yard which I found unusual too. Who buys a house and puts zero effort into improving the wasteland of a yard for 16 years? Pretty weird IMO, considering from his photos he seems to care about his appearance and keeping in shape. Also weird that his wife wasn't on his arse to tidy it up, or that she didn't bother. Someone said she's a lawyer, so presumably they had two rather good incomes. Why were they both content to live in that shitbox?

<modsnip>

I'm thinking he must have entered into a relationship with her after the murders, or at least didn't live with her when they were taking place. Because otherwise how did he get away with roaming around at night without his wife thinking it odd? Telstra workers don't usually work at night so how did he justify it? Especially with a young child at home. Plus surely she would have noticed the rape kit he would have needed in the car, not to mention his behaviour and appearance when he got home. BE's relationship with her is likely why he stopped (if he stopped). I would love to know if she went away with her daughter any time (holidays etc) and if any similar crimes happened while he had the place to himself.

Thoughts?

I disagree with the theories about phone tapping. I think that theory is overcomplicating things. While I believe the CSK may have used his job to his advantage, I think he would have exploited just the obvious, eg: company car, having a sense of 'authority' as working for this company and the knowledge of the local land gained from driving a lot on the job.
Agreed. The whole phone tapping theory doesn't add up on a number of levels. There is no evidence that CG or JR used that phone.
It has been stated several times in previous CSK threads that BE originally came onto the task force's radar because he had been offering girls lifts in his car.
The Telstra man talked about earlier in the thread was a specific guy and it wasn't BE. This guy was offering lifts. Macro had an operation called Living Witness that tried to identify girls who had been offered lifts on the assumption the CSK wasn't always successful in getting girls to enter his car. I wonder if some of the reports of this were BE and macro assumed it was the other bloke. Interesting is the other Telstra guy also has next to no online footprint.

You can sleuth anyone to your heart's content behind the scenes, but you CANNOT post the information you find about innocent people (wife, daughter, brother, etc) on this board unless the person is the named POI/suspect or the victim. It is a violation of The Rules here at Websleuths and posts will be removed and temporary or permanent loss of posting privileges may occur.

If an innocent person (i.e. neighbour, cousin, etc) is named in MSM, you may discuss what they have to say or what is said about them in MSM, but you cannot sleuth them to the nth degree and bring that information here.

Please review The Rules and specifically: Social Media - Facebook, Twitter, Etc.

Not Allowed

Social media pages that fall in the following categories are OFF LIMITS.

Family members of either a victim or a suspect
Friends of either a victim or a suspect
Most any other individual

Don't link to these pages, nor make reference to information you find on them.

If you see a post which violates this rule, please alert on it immediately to make our jobs easier in removing them.

:tyou:

[video=youtube;hbbg-FVij4c]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbbg-FVij4c[/video]

So all the you tube comments by many say the video has been edited. I concur. Of course it was a multi camera that changed angles but also separately edited in more ways than one. Also this video also was not released until a long long time after it all.... What is the only reason it would not have been released? Did WAPOL release any video footage of crimes in general prior to this? Let alone the 3rd victim in the area and no release!?!? The biggest case in WA history...

can BE be spotted anywhere in footage, now we know what suspect looks like?

My understanding is that MM enters the frame at 18s., from Gugeri St side of pub.

Looks quite similar in build to BE albeit in hindsight

can BE be spotted anywhere in footage, now we know what suspect looks like?

I almost think BE is MM.

Does anyone have pics of BE from 1990-2002ish? Can you post them so we can compare to the CCTV footage?

It was neither scenario 1 or 2 it was scenario 3. Random D@A test was positive, charged, results put in queue for testing, connect to recently filed info, make plan, search and arrest.
Can you please go through this step by step because it's very ambiguous.

I really want to know how they linked BE to the Huntingdale assault. I'm thinking he wasn't a suspect,
I think he was. Media claim Macro got a match and then looked into the file and somehow came up with BE.

because surely any rape suspect from that era would have been on the CSK suspect list? I know WAPOL supposedly had tunnel vision, but surely if they are going to go to the trouble of DNA testing all the taxi drivers, and then all the panel van owners, surely they would have tested all rape suspects too, even in unrelated cases?
quite possibly not. Unlikely actually.

The case was sitting on a shelf for 28 years. It wasn't even a rape, just attempted rape ( Claremont subway anyone?). The would have DNA tested all convicted felons but probably not mere suspects.

I thnk it's too much of a coincidence that they got the kimono breakthrough a few months ago, then around the same time a family member offends and gets their DNA recorded. So what led them to BE?
That does seem unlikely but the link may have been made through ancestry.com or Macro might have just asked for DNA or they went and obtained his DNA discreetly.

I'm thinking he must have entered into a relationship with her after the murders, or at least didn't live with her when they were taking place.
Agreed

Thoughts?
I wonder where he killed them and how he cleaned the vehicles.

I think he was. Media claim Macro got a match and then looked into the file and somehow came up with BE.

quite possibly not. Unlikely actually.

The case was sitting on a shelf for 28 years. It wasn't even a rape, just attempted rape ( Claremont subway anyone?). The would have DNA tested all convicted felons but probably not mere suspects.

That does seem unlikely but the link may have been made through ancestry.com or Macro might have just asked for DNA or they went and obtained his DNA discreetly.

Agreed

I wonder where he killed them and how he cleaned the vehicles.
I too would be very interested to know how he killed them and whether he did it at the rape site or at the dump site, or even an intermediate location. It would mean he either had a relatively clean dump or a messy disposal which makes hiding evidence alot harder had they found his vehicle had he killed them first before transporting them to his dump site. I still think he has killed them at the dump site and due to the length of time the bodies lay in the conditions there was little to no blood or other evidence and plenty of insect activity.

I am very interested in which vehicle the Karrakatta rapist actually drove. This is mainly due to this being my one and only connection to the case indirectly through somebodies i know. But after doing a bit of research they called a Telstra fleet VW T2 and T3 van a panel van and this has made me wonder if they are talking about this horrible looking outdated automobile or the old school panel vans i am accustomed to seeing surfers and bogans drive. One thing for certain my mates owned the traditional "panel van" not the VW T2 panel van but what a coincidence that during the Karrakatta years Telstra just happened to have a "panel van" type of fleet. Here is an attached link showing the VW

http://forums.kombiclub.com/threads/ex-telecom-van.44653/page-2

I almost think BE is MM.

Does anyone have pics of BE from 1990-2002ish? Can you post them so we can compare to the CCTV footage?
I can definitely see simularitys between MysteryMan and Bradley Edwards. It could definitely be him. MysteryMan matches his height, figure, hair colour, and shoulder positions and is definitely a fit for MysteryMan. However it is just as likely MysteryMan is not Bradley Edwards too.. then again seeing MysteryMan apparently never came forward despite the excess media attention does make it very suspicious that there may have been involvement.

I really want to know how they linked BE to the Huntingdale assault. I'm thinking he wasn't a suspect, because surely any rape suspect from that era would have been on the CSK suspect list? I know WAPOL supposedly had tunnel vision, but surely if they are going to go to the trouble of DNA testing all the taxi drivers, and then all the panel van owners, surely they would have tested all rape suspects too, even in unrelated cases? I could be totally wrong, but I would think the list of potential rape suspects would be shorter than the list of taxi/panel van drivers.

Also unlikely that the guy with the rape kit in the boot that was pulled over by the cop was him. The cop must have taken his name, and when LW was ruled out surely he would have been DNA tested? WAPOL can't be that incompetent. Regardless of whether he was CSK, they should have his name on a list somewhere just for being extremely creepy.

Some of my other thoughts and observations (regarding his psyche/personality/relationships, not the actual case):

It has been reported that he has worked for Telstra for 30 years, so straight out of school. Unlikely he is university educated.

Someone commented earlier about the state of his yard which I found unusual too. Who buys a house and puts zero effort into improving the wasteland of a yard for 16 years? Pretty weird IMO, considering from his photos he seems to care about his appearance and keeping in shape. Also weird that his wife wasn't on his arse to tidy it up, or that she didn't bother. Someone said she's a lawyer, so presumably they had two rather good incomes. Why were they both content to live in that shitbox?

<modsnip>

I'm thinking he must have entered into a relationship with her after the murders, or at least didn't live with her when they were taking place. Because otherwise how did he get away with roaming around at night without his wife thinking it odd? Telstra workers don't usually work at night so how did he justify it? Especially with a young child at home. Plus surely she would have noticed the rape kit he would have needed in the car, not to mention his behaviour and appearance when he got home. BE's relationship with her is likely why he stopped (if he stopped). I would love to know if she went away with her daughter any time (holidays etc) and if any similar crimes happened while he had the place to himself.

Thoughts?

Didn't Milat stop killing when he was in a relationship? It seems the same may have happened with Edwards.

I wonder if there was a Telstra presence in the street or parked near the shops on the day that GR went missing?

Didn't LR have some people interfering with the phones in his house?

I can definitely see simularitys between MysteryMan and Bradley Edwards. It could definitely be him. MysteryMan matches his height, figure, hair colour, and shoulder positions and is definitely a fit for MysteryMan. However it is just as likely MysteryMan is not Bradley Edwards too.. then again seeing MysteryMan apparently never came forward despite the excess media attention does make it very suspicious that there may have been involvement.
After the bungle with LW etc, I'm not so sure I'd want to identify myself, even if I was innocent

Could LAURA KATE MUCKERSIE be another victim? 19 minute drive from Kewdale and was last seen talking at a phone box (csk MO)

https://www.crimestopperswa.com.au/open-cases/laura-kate-muckersie/

I don't think so. Her death has all the hallmarks of an accidentally drowning rather than a murder. BE left his victims naked and exposed in bushland, not bodies of water. Doubt very much that it's BE. Unfortunately it's likely she was drunk and drowned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChillThrills