Australia Australia - Claremont SK, 1996-97, Perth, WA - #14

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Many things that #noname mentions are worth investigating further . (well done noname ! )
This is one of them regarding the "south side rapist" .
The more i hear of this name the more certain that this was not robin dyers (soccer rapist)
The "southside guy" was about a decade before robin dyers from what i can make of it . Southside guy has been mentioned a few times previously . correct me if I'm wrong , but this should be investigated.

Quote from noname:"The next interesting article was about another women found murdered in her bedroom in Maddington called Vanessa Devlin, 23, whom they were not ruling out could be linked to the death of Victoria Clarke, and that IF it was all the work of "the Southside rapist" his tally was now 18 rapes and 2 murders in 2 years.(Unquote)

Quote from newspaper article :
KImono clue to a brutal killing
by Cyril Ayris;
"this kimono may be the clue that helps
solve the brutal killing of victoria Heather
clark, 30, in victoria park last september.
It was dropped by a man that walked
into a huntingdale house early on monday
morning and lay on top of a sleeping
18-year-old girl...
The kimono is the first good clue the police
have been given in RECENT Sex ATTACKS In The Area
Det-sgt max kiernan said the man
apparently walked into the house..."
snip..

http://postnewspapers.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/070117.pdf
Womans Clothing riddle post newspaper

Interestingly, Vanessa Devlin's murder occurred on 27th June 1988. (01-03-2017, 04:59 AM#22 papertrail Vanessa devlin murder 27 june 88 @ bicton and lynette robeson murdered 8 feb 71 @ serpentine conviction james tilbury for both. @ is location of their residence not murder location. Put 'interview with james tilbury' into google and open worldcat link.)

This would have kept WAPOL very busy, and possible when they received a phone call;

On Wednesday 29th June, on page 3, the ‘West Australian’ writes that the Fiat is grey and that Julie worked as a barmaid at the hotel. The newspaper says that a woman phoned their offices on Monday 27th and asked to be left alone. They report that Julie’s sister, Nicole says it might have been Julie.

WAPOL might have not considered JC's disappearance to be as important and may have possible though she was alive.

Very convenient, as the mystery on how the Fiat got into the ocean and ended up damaged was left to assumptions, and JC's disappearance left at that.
I see James Tilbury was arrested for Vanessa Devlins murder & mentioned previously. Sadly, I remembered his name as soon as I read it.

Many things that #noname mentions are worth investigating further . (well done noname ! )
The more i hear of this name the more certain that this was not robin dyers (soccer rapist)
The "southside guy" was about a decade before robin dyers from what i can make of it . Southside guy has been mentioned a few times previously . correct me if I'm wrong , but this should be investigated.

Quote from noname:"The next interesting article was about another women found murdered in her bedroom in Maddington called Vanessa Devlin, 23, whom they were not ruling out could be linked to the death of Victoria Clarke, and that IF it was all the work of "the Southside rapist" his tally was now 18 rapes and 2 murders in 2 years.(Unquote)

Yep Southside Rapist was definitely late 1980s, not Robin Dyers.

I have since BRE's arrest wondered on many occasions whether BRE could've been him or at least responsible for some of the attacks, although perhaps forensic evidence has ruled him out?

It's impossible to find anything about the Southside Rapist online - I might try to look at some Southern Gazettes next time I am in the State Library (I have a feeling it covers the area where some of the attacks were - although exactly where they were I can't be sure either - I do seem to think it might have been Vic Park/Cannington/South Perth?)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

An interesting note in this Daily News story from 1986, is that the mandatory two breath tests were made to calculate this police recruit's BAC at time of driving south on Kwinana Freeway during this incident.
Theses tests are made 15 minutes apart BTW.
Just after that the time , the recruit's parents arrived at Fremantle Police Station according to this story.
This would put his parents home address (presumably he was still living with them) within a radius of Huntingdale and Thornlie IMO.

9403b343a8d2232a873955276d35f7f3.jpg

Sent from my HTC 2PQ910 using Tapatalk

Yep Southside Rapist was definitely late 1980s, not Robin Dyers.

I have since BRE's arrest wondered on many occasions whether BRE could've been him or at least responsible for some of the attacks, although perhaps forensic evidence has ruled him out?

It's impossible to find anything about the Southside Rapist online - I might try to look at some Southern Gazettes next time I am in the State Library (I have a feeling it covers the area where some of the attacks were - although exactly where they were I can't be sure either - I do seem to think it might have been Vic Park/Cannington/South Perth?)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Comment News covered the Gosnells local council area too.

I agree on the great work noname. I want to correct my date for death of VC April 1987, not Sept 1987, and attaching news article here on David Troy Masters, convicted of VC's death.

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/wes...l/news-story/caabadc94c068367a745b2fea510be56

The news article quoted below by met was front page news in Feb 1988 and talks of solving the brutal murder of VC because of strong evidence found at the scene of VC's murder and also found on the kimono dropped at the Huntingdale. This is the same strong evidence that has BRE arrested for alleged assault and two murders.

IMO this puts BRE at the scene of VC's death.

Don't know which jail Masters is in, but surely they wouldn't have BRE and Masters in same?

IMO they solved the murders with two separate killers but how many rapists???

Quote from newspaper article :
KImono clue to a brutal killing
by Cyril Ayris;
"this kimono may be the clue that helps
solve the brutal killing of victoria Heather
clark, 30, in victoria park last september.
It was dropped by a man that walked
into a huntingdale house early on monday
morning and lay on top of a sleeping
18-year-old girl...
The kimono is the first good clue the police
have been given in RECENT Sex ATTACKS In The Area
Det-sgt max kiernan said the man
apparently walked into the house..."
snip..

I think it was reported as 1963 in one of the first news reports but this was a typing error, IMO. My copy of the news reports has (sic) after 1963. ‘West Australian’ newspaper, which had been rather quiet about Julie's disappearance, announced on page 8 of its 23rd June edition, that Julie’s 1963 (sic) Fiat sedan had been found early on Wednesday afternoon, in the surf next to the groyne at Cottesloe Beach. They said thatDet. Sgt. Vince Katich, who is in charge of the investigation, is mystified and remained open- minded regarding what might have happened to Julie.

There were three different reports of the make and model of the Fiat in the first week of JC's disappearance, but 1968 Fiat 125 was the last and IMO correct report which gives time for info to be checked at the dealership, or from paperwork to be certain. [FONT=&amp]([/FONT]Daily News 30th June 1988: the car is now a 1968 Fiat 125 sedan. The paper prints a photograph of a poster that Julie’s friends and family are distributing that shows two photos of Julie and a picture of a similar car.[FONT=&amp])

Wiki on 1968 Fiat 125 has same chassi as 1300 or 1500's

[/FONT]
"1963 Fiat". That means it's not a 125, but an earlier model. Fiat 1500 or Fiat 1300.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiat_1300_and_1500

I agree on the great work noname. I want to correct my date for death of VC April 1987, not Sept 1987, and attaching news article here on David Troy Masters, convicted of VC's death.

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/wes...l/news-story/caabadc94c068367a745b2fea510be56

The news article quoted below by met was front page news in Feb 1988 and talks of solving the brutal murder of VC because of strong evidence found at the scene of VC's murder and also found on the kimono dropped at the Huntingdale. This is the same strong evidence that has BRE arrested for alleged assault and two murders.

IMO this puts BRE at the scene of VC's death.

Don't know which jail Masters is in, but surely they wouldn't have BRE and Masters in same?

IMO they solved the murders with two separate killers but how many rapists???
There's an alternative and much simpler possibility for the statement saying that the Kimono was linked.
They never charged Masters with the Huntingdale attack.
They believed at the time that he was.
So the false statement was planted into the story to make him think there was evidence when there wasn't, to get him to confess to the Huntingdale attack.
He obviously didn't fall for it, because in hindsight we now know it wasn't him.

OT: It would be fun just to go down to SLWA just to read the old Deep Throat stories from the Daily News and the West's policeroundmen in the 1980's etc.
I remember they were the best laughs, but sometimes contained some stuff that suspiciously looked like planted information.

Three sides to the Deep Throat story http://thewest2.smedia.com.au/Olive...px?href=WAN/2011/03/11&id=Ar00201&sk=D9F88C95

4874494293b2f42c68ab2ae249cfef73.jpg

I think you helped a lot, well done noname. It may have been the old Daily News that you saw the photo.

Daily News 30th June 1988: the car is now a 1968 Fiat 125 sedan. The paper prints a photograph of a poster that Julie’s friends and family are distributing that shows two photos of Julie and a picture of a similar car. Julie’s 21-year-old sister, Nicole pleads, “For God’s sake let her go!” Nicole, the paper says, is sure that her sister would not have run away without any money or without telling them. There was no way she would have just left her car in the place it was found either- she would have sold it, Nicole says.
Police appeal for anyone who finds a light-brown leather handbag and a plastic bag with a white blouse and black skirt (her hotel uniform) inside it to inform them."

I think the original reports of Fiat having been driven down the access road infront of the clubrooms mean in front of the boatshed (clubrooms on top of the hill) but couldn't explain the final position or damage for police. Next assumption was that it must have been driven off groyne and landed on roof to have caused the damage that is or isn't reported. Or that the damage must have been caused by the car hitting the groyne, and then possibly ending in its final resting place nearer the pylon, against the wave action and coastal drift current.

I have only seen the photo of the Fiat after being retrieved on the beach from a video clip. Although I found the transcript for "he who waits" I still haven't seen any videos and a wider shot or other shots would be useful to see sand and ocean conditions. I still believe that the Fiat is the strongest piece of evidence to get answers about what happened to JC.

The car seat At around 12.30 am the next morning, Monday 20th June, wearing a high-collared black evening dress, with gold buttons on the shoulder, and a pair of black patent leather shoes Julie leaves the nightclub and heads for the staff car park. She is seen by another member of staff unlocking the passenger side door of her car (apparently the driver’s side door could not be opened from the outside). A witness spots Julie sitting in the front of her car in the car park and rummaging through her bag. It is the last known sighting of her.

Later that same day a car’s backseat was retrieved from the sea, near the groyne, at Cottesloe Beach. According to newspaper reports, it wasn’t until the afternoon of Wednesday, the 22nd June that the car the seat belonged to was noticed - upside-down in the surf close to Cottesloe Beach groyne. The car, a Fiat 125 was Julie's.

Years later, report summaries either don't mention the car seat or don't mention that it was found on Monday 20th and the car found on Wednesday 22nd. How do you explain that? Just leave it out.

Differing reports on whether it was upside down or not, how close or far from the groyne it was, only the one mention of damage to roof. The West Australian on Friday 24th June 1988, on page 3, reports that the back seat of Julie’s car was found in the sea, near the groyne, on Monday. The car was discovered 35 metres from the beach and had been left with its ignition and lights on, front driver’s side window open, rear doors locked and both front doors unlocked. Det. Sgt. Katich is appealing for a man and a woman seen exiting the hotel just after Julie to come forward. Police also appeal for anyone who saw Julie’s car parked either on the slip road near the surf club or nearby to contact them.

To the best of my knowledge the man and woman have never come forward and there has never been any witness that saw or heard anything at Cott beach that has come forward.

I've read the article a couple of times but didn't notice what type of car or colour the mystery car was. It says the matter was reported to the police though.......
Yes, I'd love to know what description Julie Cutler gave of the vehicle that followed her on Stirling Hwy.
I wonder if it was a small car like a Gemini or Datsun since Julie apparently out ran it in a Fiat
If so, I wonder if it was blue?

When they published the front page article in Feb 1987, all they knew was they had (strong evidence) DNA? from a person at both crime scenes. At the Huntingdale crime scene the DNA? was on a kimono.
They had no idea who had committed the crimes, only that there was a DNA? link.

IMO they didn't charge Masters with the Huntingtdale attack because it wasn't his DNA. The Huntingdale attack was small fry when you have arrests and convictions for two brutal murders. They had other evidence to convict Masters for VC murder after he was caught in Queensland in June 1971 after the murder of a 21 year old British tourist.

The evidence (DNA?) belonged to BRE, but they did not know that then.

The Huntingdale evidence got forgotten for a very long time until the Post newspaper publicised it again had an FBI profiler to look at evidence. The evidence (DNA?) was linked to other crimes and eventually matched to BRE and he was charged with those crimes.

That's my understanding. I believe BRE was at the scene of the VC crime, left evidence (DNA?) but didn't commit the murder.

There's an alternative and much simpler possibility for the statement saying that the Kimono was linked.
They never charged Masters with the Huntingdale attack.
They believed at the time that he was.
So the false statement was planted into the story to make him think there was evidence when there wasn't, to get him to confess to the Huntingdale attack.
He obviously didn't fall for it, because in hindsight we now know it wasn't him.

The link to this news report has many date error where 1991 was superimposed over 1971, so I've reprinted here if interested.
Double killer David Troy Masters to spend another three years in jail

PHIL HICKEY, PerthNow
March 8, 2015 12:00am

A DOUBLE murderer who killed two women more than 20 years ago will spend at least another three years in a WA jail after being denied parole this week.
David Troy Masters, 49, has spent the past 24 years incarcerated for murders he committed in 1987 and 1971.
Masters raped and murdered 30-year-old Victoria Clarke in her home on Leonard St, Victoria Park, in April 1987.
David Troy Masters. Photo courtesy of Australian Police Journal.
Masters had broken into Ms Clarke’s flat while she was out.
When she came home, he raped and strangled her.
Within a month of her murder, he fled to Queensland, where he was born.
In May 1971, Masters murdered 21-year-old British tourist Fiona Carty in a backpackers’ lodge in Katherine in the Northern Territory.
Masters had also strangled her after attempting to rape her.
He was arrested and charged with Ms Carty’s murder in June 1971.
He was sentenced to life in jail for the murder and attempted rape of Ms Carty.
In 1998, he was extradited to WA and handed a second life imprisonment term for killing Ms Clarke, with a seven-year non-parole period.
The judge who jailed Masters for the murder of Ms Clarke described the killing as “savage and unrelenting”.
“I would not have contemplated that you would ever be released on parole,” the judge said.
This week, the WA Prisoner’s Review Board (PRB) handed a report to Attorney-General Michael Mischin recommending Masters not be released.
The board must compile a report on his suitability for release every three years.
On Tuesday, a spokeswoman for Mr Mischin said: “The Attorney-General has today accepted a recommendation by the PRB not to release Mr Masters to parole.”
WA Police Superintendent John Lindley, who investigated Ms Clarke’s murder in 1971 as a detective with the homicide squad, said he was pleased with the decision.
“It is heartening to know that the parole board members have given due consideration to this man’s past history in relation to the circumstances of the crimes he committed, his rehabilitation and suitability to assimilate within society,” he said.
“They should be recognised for their leadership role and decision in this instance.”
Masters will not be considered for early release again until 2018.

When they published the front page article in Feb 1987, all they knew was they had (strong evidence) DNA? from a person at both crime scenes. At the Huntingdale crime scene the DNA? was on a kimono.
They had no idea who had committed the crimes, only that there was a DNA? link.

IMO they didn't charge Masters with the Huntingtdale attack because it wasn't his DNA. The Huntingdale attack was small fry when you have arrests and convictions for two brutal murders. They had other evidence to convict Masters for VC murder after he was caught in Queensland in June 1971 after the murder of a 21 year old British tourist.

The evidence (DNA?) belonged to BRE, but they did not know that then.

The Huntingdale evidence got forgotten for a very long time until the Post newspaper publicised it again had an FBI profiler to look at evidence. The evidence (DNA?) was linked to other crimes and eventually matched to BRE and he was charged with those crimes.

That's my understanding. I believe BRE was at the scene of the VC crime, left evidence (DNA?) but didn't commit the murder.
Wouldn't the the first, nor the last time "facts" weren't quite as they seemed.
They didn’t give me all Mallard facts, says the ‘Judge’
http://thewest2.smedia.com.au/Olive...px?href=WAN/2007/09/14&id=Ar00103&sk=DEF23B40

Officer told Mallard to hold on to jewellery gift
http://thewest2.smedia.com.au/Olive...px?href=WAN/2007/08/23&id=Ar00900&sk=20ED5FB0

THE CCC REPORT
http://thewest2.smedia.com.au/Olive...px?href=WAN/2008/10/08&id=Ar00403&sk=787D6FBB

I remember there being an incident in Maddington by the river pathway; a man asked a woman to help find his “supposed” missing dog. From memory he rushed from the bush to the path with a dog lead, asking the woman to help find his dog. Regrettably the woman helped and was raped. Could this have been the work of the Southside rapist? The area is fairly close to Huntingdale. It was back in the late eighties or early nineties.

The actual river Southern River has a considerable length of pathway alongside it. It extends through Huntingdale/Gosnells past the Richard Rushton C.C, and spirals past Maddington Plaza, through Ferndale, opposite Carousel and all the way toward Bentley. Parts of the area are very secluded with some footbridges and underpasses. During the mid-1980s a teenager could travel miles, by push-bike seeking out victims. Then as an adult pass the bike riding off as just getting some exercise. It would be very difficult for the police to apprehend someone on a bike. It’s the southern river which separates Gosnells and Huntingdale.

I remember there being an incident in Maddington by the river pathway; a man asked a woman to help find his “supposed” missing dog. From memory he rushed from the bush to the path with a dog lead, asking the woman to help find his dog. Regrettably the woman helped and was raped. Could this have been the work of the Southside rapist? The area is fairly close to Huntingdale. It was back in the late eighties or early nineties.
At least one at Hester Park too.
Sex predator hunt
http://thewest2.smedia.com.au/Olive...px?href=WAN/2012/06/29&id=Ar01403&sk=27F763EF
Couldn't find the one you mentioned in West's digital archive. Must be on microfilm at SLWA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member