GUILTY Australia - Depraved secrets in a country town ..

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
*bumps Isis off her soapbox* :giggle:

Well, when you look at the case of little Tanilla Warwick-Deaves, the horrific and obvious to all abuse going on there, the ---33--- reports to that effect made to DOCS during her two years of life.. and nothing was done about that...so poor little Tanilla died. :( How many other child deaths have there been in recent years, which could have been prevented if their urgent cases got the appropriate level of attention?

NSW has been heavily in the spotlight for concerns regarding its child welfare cases. and for good reason. I think the entire system needs overhauling on a national scale, both for the sake of the kids -and- the workers...

*deep breath*

Anyway, I am not surprised that ONLY seven reports resulted in those kids being left as-is for so long. Not surprised, at all.

I'd dearly love to think that this case would be the catalyst for removing children the likes of little Tanilla & all the others in similar situations right across Aus. Although I don't think we should hold our breath waiting for that to happen.

Me again! (hard to be quiet about this case).

I just wanted to say that the CaseLaw document is likely to traumatise people reading it. The detail of sexualised behaviours and sexual abuse is overt and I'm surprised they've released this to the general public. Information like that is usually only shared amongst trained professionals - and even then it can still be traumatic. We would typically debrief in supervision to allow us to process this kind of information. Read it with care, if you read it at all :seeya:

I'm so glad you said this Isis.

I no longer practice law because of the exposure to traumatic material with no opportunity to debrief whatsoever. It was never offered. I now have PTSD and depression.

Systematic exposure to traumatic material isn't recognised in the legal profession. Nor is "second hand shock syndrome" ie vicarious traumatisation, compassion fatigue and burnout. Noone wants to talk about it. Its all very neatly swept under the carpet and everybody wonders why the legal profession has the highest suicide rate?!

I ignored my own professional advice to myself and read the judgment. Yep, proceed with caution. Its heavy heavy stuff.

I just don't understand how the adults got away with this for so long??!! One of the articles says two of the teenagers attended school and were made to shower before class because of their lack of hygiene - surely that should have triggered intervention??

I know DOCS/DOHS are seriously overworked (my first job as a psych was with DOCS) but this is such an extreme case. It's not like nobody had any contact at all with the family - the whole town was talking about it. That's seriously alarming to me. These children could probably have been helped far earlier......

Yes it's staggering to think it took such a length of time before they were discovered. They would have to have been in the "system" as the case file mentions one of the youngest girls had been taken to hospital...that would have required Medicare details. Surely some of the older kids had also been taken to doctors/hospitals at some stage throughout their lives.

Then there's the question of, where were they getting money from to survive ...dole or pensions?? At least one of the adults had a car...how did they pay for petrol etc.

Family benefits, the low household income scheme .. they would have been doing quite well out of government payments, especially since I think they bought that place (didn't a local say you could get a plot of land up there for $20,000 but without water) .. even if they did pay rent it wouldn't be much for a shed and caravans.

So how many adults were there again? I think unemployment benefits is quite a bit .. hang on, here: http://www.humanservices.gov.au/cus...llowance/payment-rates-for-newstart-allowance So that's like $542 per parent a fortnight, then on top of that they'd get the Family Tax Benefit and the Parenting Payment: http://www.humanservices.gov.au/customer/subjects/payments-for-families. There might even be some more they could pick up, what about the the NDIS?

They'd be doing well enough between them all to live up there with plenty of money, no problem.

"Duke (one of the Colts) used to shower at school in the morning before he mixed with the other students," he says.

"The teachers used to let him because of the BO.

"He used to smoke in the toilets and looked kind of slouched ... at recess and lunch he'd stick together with his brother Zeb.

"They only used to talk to one other boy.

"They didn't care what anyone thought."

It is understood that Duke died earlier this year after fathering a child with his sister.

What the? How did Duke die?

I wonder if Duke's death was autopsied and was registered or was he buried on the property.

Family benefits, the low household income scheme .. they would have been doing quite well out of government payments, especially since I think they bought that place (didn't a local say you could get a plot of land up there for $20,000 but without water) .. even if they did pay rent it wouldn't be much for a shed and caravans.

So how many adults were there again? I think unemployment benefits is quite a bit .. hang on, here: http://www.humanservices.gov.au/cus...llowance/payment-rates-for-newstart-allowance So that's like $542 per parent a fortnight, then on top of that they'd get the Family Tax Benefit and the Parenting Payment: http://www.humanservices.gov.au/customer/subjects/payments-for-families. There might even be some more they could pick up, what about the the NDIS?

They'd be doing well enough between them all to live up there with plenty of money, no problem.

Okay so this is the part I'm really confused about. I don't have the stomach to read the case file so if the answer is in there then I'm missing it. I would have assumed the family were not welfare recipients and that's how it went undetected for so long. If all the children were registered births, registered with centerlink and thei parents were claiming payments - how on earth did they get away with not Putting the kids in school. Enrolling isn't optional and I would have thought centerlink would no they aren't enrolled and penalised them. Can anyone shed some light on that?

This whole thing is truly sickening. As ignorant as it sounds I like to think this type of thing doesn't happen in beautiful aus. I can only briefly remember 1 similar case in Moe, country Vic. But I believe in that case information wasn't made public like it has been here. I hope DOCS can find someone suitable and highly qualified to rehabilitate these kids. I feel very ashamed that as a country we didn't rescue them earlier...

If I could ask...what was the main obstacle when it came to having the children removed??

This could possibly be contentious, because it may well offend social workers....but here goes. In the welfare system, the social workers are the caseworkers (and their workload really is ridiculous!) whilst the psychologists do the therapeutic work. The battles I, and every other psychologist I knew, were fighting were actually with the social workers training and ideology. When I worked in the system they had a philosophy of keeping the children with the biological mother as much as possible - no matter what.

For example, in one of my cases three children from 6 to 9 years old were removed (after a huge battle by me and a court case) as they were being sexually abused by the mother, father and grandparents. The children disclosed the abuse to me in therapy sessions. The social workers assigned to the case wanted to leave the 6 month old baby in the home, because it 'should be with it's mother'. It was outrageous! Of course they would abuse the baby as well. The baby was removed but most of the social workers thought I was way too harsh on the parents and should have given them a go.

I think they lose perspective doing the work - it's easy for the horrendous stuff to become mundane. I personally think they need training in psychology though, to understand systemic abuse to a deeper level. Six anger-management classes or positive parenting classes don't even begin to effect change in these cases (which is what the parents are always made to do, like it will solve the problems).JMO, of course!

I'm so glad you said this Isis.

I no longer practice law because of the exposure to traumatic material with no opportunity to debrief whatsoever. It was never offered. I now have PTSD and depression.

Systematic exposure to traumatic material isn't recognised in the legal profession. Nor is "second hand shock syndrome" ie vicarious traumatisation, compassion fatigue and burnout. Noone wants to talk about it. Its all very neatly swept under the carpet and everybody wonders why the legal profession has the highest suicide rate?!

I ignored my own professional advice to myself and read the judgment. Yep, proceed with caution. Its heavy heavy stuff.

I'm so sorry to hear that, madameh. It's bad enough with professional support but to not have any is horrendous! Vicarious traumatisation is huge - like I'm sure you do, I still have scenes flash into my head of what I've read or been told. It never really goes away. Glad you got out though - it's terrible to be expected to 'just deal with it'!!:seeya:

Oh.My.God. Those poor children. It will be years for recovery, if recovery is possible. I know some of them have mental and physiological disabilities that will not be overcome no matter what. These MoFos, the adults... when will the criminal cases begin? This is enraging.

It's sad. Those adults are victims too. It's all any of them Know. Yes it is criminal and very wrong, but all they know going back several generations. Unfortunately, they can be cleaned up, educated within their abilities, counseled and regardless, they better be watched or they will all even down to young Cindy, continue to find new victims.

The link to the decision doesn't work. I tried searching that site, with no luck. Can anyone post an updated link?

rsbm
The social workers assigned to the case wanted to leave the 6 month old baby in the home, because it 'should be with it's mother'. It was outrageous! Of course they would abuse the baby as well. The baby was removed but most of the social workers thought I was way too harsh on the parents and should have given them a go.

Isis, it just gutted me, reading that - this is the exact thinking that had me, as a young girl, left in my abusive home when all the other kids were removed. They left me there alone to continue being abused, because the social workers felt my mother 'had to have something' (I actually overheard one -saying- that, like I was just a something).. and I was -it- apparently.

I cannot believe that more than 30 years later, this is still happening. :(

I harbour a great deal of rage toward the DHS, and probably always will until fat parasites like Pru Goward and her wife-beating underlings are replaced by people who give a damn about children, and this ingrained policy of leaving kids with abusive parents out of misguided sympathy BS ends.

/cough. Sorry, a bit OT. But you can see in that report how they are --still allowing-- these parents regular access to these kids whom they have raped repeatedly and taught to rape others.

How is that even something to consider???? WHY are NONE of the adults in question presently in prison???? They knew damn well what they were doing was illegal and unacceptable. Why don't they get the same treatment as any other pedo?

For goodness sake. I just want to slap the lot of them. I do not envy the people dealing with this case, who do not have their heads up their backsides. The implications of ongoing contact within this family are horrific.

This link does not work for me...says it has moved. When I click on the new link, it doesn't work either. Any thoughts?

The link is still working for me. Try typing the case citation into Google:

DFaCS (NSW) and the Colt Children [2013] NSWChC 5

rsbm

Isis, it just gutted me, reading that - this is the exact thinking that had me, as a young girl, left in my abusive home when all the other kids were removed. They left me there alone to continue being abused, because the social workers felt my mother 'had to have something' (I actually overheard one -saying- that, like I was just a something).. and I was -it- apparently.

I harbour a great deal of rage toward the DHS, and probably always will until fat parasites like Pru Goward and her wife-beating underlings are replaced by people who give a damn about children, and this ingrained policy of leaving kids with abusive parents out of misguided sympathy BS ends.

/cough. Sorry, a bit OT. But you can see in that report how they are --still allowing-- these parents regular access to these kids whom they have raped repeatedly and taught to rape others.

How is that even something to consider???? WHY are NONE of the adults in question presently in prison???? They knew damn well what they were doing was illegal and unacceptable. Why don't they get the same treatment as any other pedo?

For goodness sake. I just want to slap the lot of them. I do not envy the people dealing with this case, who do not have their heads up their backsides. The implications of ongoing contact within this family are horrific.

Oh Ausgirl - I am SO sorry to hear that is what happened to you as a little one. It's absolutely terrible that you were treated like that and remained in danger. Blessings to you for surviving that childhood. You, like all of the children I worked with, must have a strong and beautiful spirit to come through those experiences.

And yes, sadly it continues on today. In the end I left the job because of that very reason - it was so stressful battling the caseworkers over what I thought were very obvious child protection issues - and sadly there is only so much the psych can do in that system - it's run by the social workers really. So hard not to grow disillusioned! The only saving grace was when it got to court the judge listens to the psych as an Expert Witness.....I was able to effect change there a bit but to get to that point was a nightmare!!

And absolutely, why on earth are the adults in this case not in prison??! What is up with that? Contact is absolutely ridiculous - those children won't feel safe on a deep level when they still have contact with the abusers. Grrrr:tantrum:

rsbm

Oh honey, I am sending you all the love and hugs I have.

As for the adults on this case, I wonder the same thing. Where are they? What is the coverage in Australia about this? Can;t find much anywhere.

Ausgirl so sorry to hear of your horrible childhood. I think the saying is " what hurts us makes us stronger" and in your case I would say it certainly has. Your posts show you to be a very caring person looking out for the underdog . I commend you on putting your past behind you and living a fulfilled life.

I see today in the Melbourne Herald Sun there is a report about this family. First time I have seen any mention of it here and yet they lived here in Victoria for part of the time and were known to D.H.S
I don't think there is much follow up. If no reports, they don't seem to check. Plus there doesn't seem to be communication between the various states. If it gets too hot just pack up and move interstate .

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timbo1966
Back