GUILTY Australia - Jill Meagher, 29, Melbourne, 22 Sep 2012 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am curious about the spaces above the businesses along the street. Do they function as part of the business or are they rented out for living spaces?
If they are rented out, perhaps a canvassing of those residents to ask if anyone saw or heard anything, might be worthwhile.

I am curious about the spaces above the businesses along the street. Do they function as part of the business or are they rented out for living spaces?
If they are rented out, perhaps a canvassing of those residents to ask if anyone saw or heard anything, might be worthwhile.

Some of the spaces you mention could very well be part of the business at street level, eg storage, or maybe a leased apartment or they could be entirely empty. I'm sure that the police would be checking everything and everyone in the vicinity and hopefully more CCTV footage will come to light from that area.

I wonder if the Alaysa Restaurant has a take out section, and Jill was in the habit of picking up a coffee there, or maybe something for breakfast. If she called her brother from there, the timing would have been about right, as would the background noise. Thanks to the Duchess Boutique camera, we at least have a more accurate timeline of where Jill was that night.

Great information that the CCTV footage of Jill came from the Duchess Boutique on Sydney Road and that Jill was actually seen walking on that side of the road directly in front of the boutique. It's interesting to note that according to police the CCTV footage capturing Jill was time stamped at 1:41am. Secondly her phone call to her brother commenced at 1:43am. So it would seem that she made that call just two minutes after passing the Duchess Boutique. If she was walking while talking on the phone she would have reached, or almost reached the intersection of Sydney Road and Hope Street where there is a chemist on one corner and a shoe shop on the opposite corner and next-door is the Alasya Turkish Restaurant, which operates until 3:00am. The shoe shop may no longer be there now. I sourced this info from Google Maps (captured in 2009) and the shoe shop did have a 'closing down sale' sign in the window. Are any of the locals able to enlighten us as to what is there now?

So now we are left with a lot of speculative scenarios. It's quite possible that the background voices her brother heard on the phone came from patrons of the Alasya Restaurant. Did Jill decide to venture inside to grab something to eat? Did she meet up with someone she knew and decided to join them for a while? Was she hassled and accosted by someone or a group near the restaurant? Did someone decide to follow and attack her when she was even closer to her home. The fact that the owner of the restaurant said she heard screams may indicate that something happened to Jill very near the restaurant. I wonder if the restaurant owner bothered to investigate where the screams came from?

Then there is the alternative. Jill did make it home.

Below are some screencaps I grabbed from Google Maps to satisfy my own curiousity about the area. I've driven through Brunswick quite a few times over the years when I've visited Melbourne but I needed to get my bearings in relation to where Jill was last seen. From where she was seen on the CCTV footage outside the Duchess Boutique, there is nothing but shops and business houses on either side of Sydney Road. There are no dark alleys or parks that she could have been dragged into.

That's my two bobs worth and MOO except for the pics which are real, albeit three years old.

The Duchess Boutique Sydney Rd. Brunswick.
View attachment 26907

Looking along Sydney Rd. from the Duchess Boutique towards Hope St.
View attachment 26908

Intersection of Hope St. and Sydney Rd. (Bloody truck!!) You can see the Alaysa Restaurant in the right of the pic.
View attachment 26909

A closer view looking down Hope St. with the Alaysa Restaurant on the right hand side of the pic on Sydney Road.
View attachment 26910

Must admit, that is a line of thought I've been having - especially in relation to the placing of the handbag in that alleyway. If a person has got to within 400 metres of their home, then they are very unlucky to get abducted before completing their journey.

As there is cctv, phone records and people's testemonies so far all backing up what her friends and family have said - then there is a very tiny window between the phone call to her brother and her reaching her apartment (maybe just a couple of minutes). The phone call appears to rule out anyone one of her friends being with her at that time, meaning that the friend who offered to walk her home, had gone off in a taxi by that point.

Hyperthetically speaking, if a person did get home, and something happened to them there, then the best story to concoct would be that they didn't make it home ..... then make sure evidence "proves" that story, for instance, placing a handbag at a point where that person would have walked. And start making worried phone calls straight afterwards.

However, the fact that someone heard a scream around the time the phone call ended, does also point to an abduction in that tiny window of opportunity.

All MOO obviously.

To be honest the way the handbag was found it was like it was placed there to divert attention from somewhere else. I read in a previous thread I took part in the significant of things of 3's. Where the crime happened is one place, where they get rid of evidence another place and here the body is a completely different place. I believe this may be the case with Jill.

Is it possible that the placing of the handbag in the lane (assuming that it wasn’t overlooked during the initial foot searches on the weekend) was a taunt after it was reported to the media that Jill was without her purse? Perp. thinking - “oh so you think she was without her pocketbook… well I know she did have it on her person and here it is lads…”

If so then it might indicate a bold-faced abductor. :moo:

Great information that the CCTV footage of Jill came from the Duchess Boutique on Sydney Road and that Jill was actually seen walking on that side of the road directly in front of the boutique. It's interesting to note that according to police the CCTV footage capturing Jill was time stamped at 1:41am. Secondly her phone call to her brother commenced at 1:43am. So it would seem that she made that call just two minutes after passing the Duchess Boutique. If she was walking while talking on the phone she would have reached, or almost reached the intersection of Sydney Road and Hope Street where there is a chemist on one corner and a shoe shop on the opposite corner and next-door is the Alasya Turkish Restaurant, which operates until 3:00am. The shoe shop may no longer be there now. I sourced this info from Google Maps (captured in 2009) and the shoe shop did have a 'closing down sale' sign in the window. Are any of the locals able to enlighten us as to what is there now?

So now we are left with a lot of speculative scenarios. It's quite possible that the background voices her brother heard on the phone came from patrons of the Alasya Restaurant. Did Jill decide to venture inside to grab something to eat? Did she meet up with someone she knew and decided to join them for a while? Was she hassled and accosted by someone or a group near the restaurant? Did someone decide to follow and attack her when she was even closer to her home. The fact that the owner of the restaurant said she heard screams may indicate that something happened to Jill very near the restaurant. I wonder if the restaurant owner bothered to investigate where the screams came from?

Below are some screencaps I grabbed from Google Maps to satisfy my own curiousity about the area. I've driven through Brunswick quite a few times over the years when I've visited Melbourne but I needed to get my bearings in relation to where Jill was last seen. From where she was seen on the CCTV footage outside the Duchess Boutique, there is nothing but shops and business houses on either side of Sydney Road. There are no dark alleys or parks that she could have been dragged into.

That's my two bobs worth and MOO except for the pics which are real, albeit three years old.

View attachment 26907

View attachment 26908

Intersection of Hope St. and Sydney Rd. (Bloody truck!!) You can see the Alaysa Restaurant in the right of the pic.
View attachment 26909

A closer view looking down Hope St. with the Alaysa Restaurant on the right hand side of the pic on Sydney Road.
View attachment 26910

That bolded bit gave me goosebumps. Things are certainly getting tight as the cctv narrows it down a bit.

You said there are no dark alleys etc, but what about down Hope Street or even Lux way?

That bolded bit gave me goosebumps. Things are certainly getting tight as the cctv narrows it down a bit.
You said there are no dark alleys etc, but what about down Hope Street or even Lux way?

I wonder if she took the shortcut to Nardella Way and the back of her building complex? With all the restoration and new construction at Hope and Lux there surely must be private security cameras with with an external street view.

This is a good MSM link.

http://www.news.com.au/national/pol...ker-jill-meagher/story-fndo4eg9-1226479708333

Re the footage -

Duchess Boutique owner Patricia said she installed the cameras for her own safety and never imagined they might capture something so important.

"I just hope it helps. For the sake of Jill being found, I want to do the right thing," she said.

Patricia said the colour video showed Ms Meagher strolling past her shopfront on the side of the road closest to Hope St. She said Ms Meagher had her hair down, and was wearing a black jacket and high-heel shoes.

"I was confident it was her," Patricia said. "She looked different from the photos that have been released," she said. Patricia said Ms Meagher was not using her mobile phone and did not appear to have been followed.

View attachment 26907

View attachment 26908

View attachment 26909

View attachment 26910

Great pix!

Thanks!

Is it possible that the placing of the handbag in the lane (assuming that it wasn’t overlooked during the initial foot searches on the weekend) was a taunt after it was reported to the media that Jill was without her purse? Perp. thinking - “oh so you think she was without her pocketbook… well I know she did have it on her person and here it is lads…”

If so then it might indicate a bold-faced abductor. :moo:

Please explain "pocketbook" ???

Is that a purse or handbag or ......

Must admit, that is a line of thought I've been having - especially in relation to the placing of the handbag in that alleyway. If a person has got to within 400 metres of their home, then they are very unlucky to get abducted before completing their journey.

As there is cctv, phone records and people's testemonies so far all backing up what her friends and family have said - then there is a very tiny window between the phone call to her brother and her reaching her apartment (maybe just a couple of minutes). The phone call appears to rule out anyone one of her friends being with her at that time, meaning that the friend who offered to walk her home, had gone off in a taxi by that point.

Hyperthetically speaking, if a person did get home, and something happened to them there, then the best story to concoct would be that they didn't make it home ..... then make sure evidence "proves" that story, for instance, placing a handbag at a point where that person would have walked. And start making worried phone calls straight afterwards.

However, the fact that someone heard a scream around the time the phone call ended, does also point to an abduction in that tiny window of opportunity.

All MOO obviously.

Totally agree, how unlucky would you have to be, to be killed in that tiny window of opportunity, a few hundred metres from home and only fifteen minutes before your husband started phoning hundreds of times.
Do we know what time Jill phoned/texted husband asking him to join them, presumably she told him which bar they were at, think if I was frantic with worry, I'd go out and look for her if I knew she was supposedly nearby rather than ring "hundreds" of time.
Do we know if husband owns a car?

Please explain "pocketbook" ???

Is that a purse or handbag or ......

I think they were avoiding the use of those terms due to all of the off topic bickering of what they are called and where. When honestly I don't think it matters. There is a beautiful woman missing and the subject of purse/handbag/wallet has taken center stage when it shouldn't have. :moo:

Totally agree, how unlucky would you have to be, to be killed in that tiny window of opportunity, a few hundred metres from home and only fifteen minutes before your husband started phoning hundreds of times.
Do we know what time Jill phoned/texted husband asking him to join them, presumably she told him which bar they were at, think if I was frantic with worry, I'd go out and look for her if I knew she was supposedly nearby rather than ring "hundreds" of time.
Do we know if husband owns a car?

I thought about that too. But then I thought about all of the kids that are kidnapped/abducted from their own front yard. This case is so weird....

I think they were avoiding the use of those terms due to all of the off topic bickering of what they are called and where. When honestly I don't think it matters. There is a beautiful woman missing and the subject of purse/handbag/wallet has taken center stage when it shouldn't have. :moo:

I might be wrong.... But I think this poster was just bringing some much needed levity to a very solemn and scary case.

JMO

To be fair we left the subject of the purse/bag/wallet pages ago. I dont think we need to revisit again but didnt feel it was bickering as such, just a whole lot of confusion. Anyway, pocketbook=irrelevant!

The way they keep stressing how routine everything is, is ringing alarm bells for me.

To be fair we left the subject of the purse/bag/wallet pages ago. I dont think we need to revisit again but didnt feel it was bickering as such, just a whole lot of confusion. Anyway, pocketbook=irrelevant!

Sorry for inserting :moo:. Back to lurking and praying Jill's family receives the answers they are looking for. I will leave it to the professionals in this case. :fence:

Is one possibility for the handbag that a neighbour found it and took it home, then once it was implicated in a murder case, freaked out and placed it back in the laneway?
If this is the case, then the person who found the bag should come forward and speak with VPolice about where they found the bag etc. IMO.

Makara your skills are amazing. The screencaps are so helpful as they enable us to see the area in question. Thank you again for the skills you contribute to Websleuths. By the way good sleuthing. Both possible scenarios at this stage. :takeabow:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member