GUILTY Australia - Jill Meagher, 29, Melbourne, 22 Sep 2012 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't find it odd that she rang her brother on the way home at that time. I see people walking down the street all the time with their mobile phones glued to their ear. I can imagine that she was walking home and suddenly thought "*advertiser censored*, I promised to ring my brother and see how dad was." She does a quick calculation of the time difference in her head, thinks her brother would be still up and calls him. She reinforces the fact to her brother that she is worried about Dad and then the battery runs out.

The background noises are from other people in the street, or places that are still open. It's around 1:47 and she is quite close to home.

MOO

It sounds as if the call was terminated and Michael (brother) tried to call her back straightaway a few times but to no avail. May be he called Tom (thinking that Jill’s battery died and knowing she was en route home) in order to continue the update about Dad and that’s what spurred Tom into action to go and look for Jill.

It seems as if she was very close to home at that stage. There appears to be at least 3 underground parking garages without doors on Lux Way that I could see on Google maps… possibly a good spot to hide and ambush someone?

"He can hear males in the background.

"There was a presumption she was at the nightclub, but clearly she is not.

I hope she wasn't attacked/abducted by a group of guys. :(

Homicide squad detectives and forensics experts were yesterday invited by Mr Meagher to scour their apartment and car, taking away six bags of personal items.

But the video is shaping as a crucial lead to her last known movements.

Ms Meagher was captured from a camera pointed at the street from within a Sydney Rd boutique.

Duchess Boutique owner Patricia said she installed the cameras for her own safety and never imagined they might capture something so important.

"I just hope it helps. For the sake of Jill being found, I want to do the right thing," she said.

Patricia said the colour video showed Ms Meagher strolling past her shopfront on the side of the road closest to Hope St. She said Ms Meagher had her hair down, and was wearing a black jacket and high-heel shoes.

"I was confident it was her," Patricia said. "She looked different from the photos that have been released," she said. Patricia said Ms Meagher was not using her mobile phone and did not appear to have been followed.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/na...ker-jill-meagher/story-fndo3ewo-1226479708333

Anyway I'm off to sleep have an exam tomorrow need to be refreshed otherwise id hang around and sleuth with you all:)

They might not have thought too much about dna in their panic to get rid of it.
Or maybe they just wiped the bag down to get rid of fingerprints and thought that was enough to remove any link to them.

If this was the case they would highly likely to leave some sort of DNA such as hair fibers, fingerprints or skin on there. If this was the case I would think the person would just freak out and burn it or destroy the evidence.

This might be stating the obvious, but if we assume that the reason Jill did not call her brother back was because she was abducted at the time she hung up the phone, and her brother could hear male voices in the background at the time he was talking to her, then that means if the men in the background weren't the ones to do it, they would have been close enough to watch the whole thing unfold?

This might be stating the obvious, but if we assume that the reason Jill did not call her brother back was because she was abducted at the time she hung up the phone, and her brother could hear male voices in the background at the time he was talking to her, then that means if the men in the background weren't the ones to do it, they would have been close enough to watch the whole thing unfold?

I wonder if the noisy ones in the background were a gaggle of party-goers who had just gotten off the commuter train at either Brunswick or Anstey Station and were making their way home via the bike path that runs adjacent to the rail tracks?

I wonder if the noisy ones in the background were a gaggle of party-goers who had just gotten off the commuter train at either Brunswick or Anstey Station and were making their way home via the bike path that runs adjacent to the rail tracks?

Interesting idea, looking at the timetable the last train stopped at those stations at 1.18am and 1.20am respectively, so it's possible depending on their speed? (I'm not a local so just guessing!)

Interesting idea, looking at the timetable the last train stopped at those stations at 1.18am and 1.20am respectively, so it's possible depending on their speed? (I'm not a local so just guessing!)

Or perhaps they’d been out at a local pub and were using the bike path as a short cut? I’m glad you were able to figure out the train schedule!

I think its more likely they were at or near Alasya, a turkish restaurant and takeaway thats open until 3am, it apparantly attracts a rowdy crowd. one video interview with locals said that a woman at the turkish store heard screams that night.

Is one possibility for the handbag that a neighbour found it and took it home, then once it was implicated in a murder case, freaked out and placed it back in the laneway?

That was my thinking too WAG. It could have been a case of "Oh Shyte, I don't want to be implicated in this woman's disappearance. Best to get rid of it." I just have a feeling that the bag was last handled by an unknown female. When I first saw the video of how it was found, my immediate reaction was that it had been placed there, not dropped or thrown as I mentioned when I posted the screencap. Perhaps the bag was found near where Jill was last seen on the CCTV footage and taken home. The finder didn't want to return to where they'd found it and decided to place it in the laneway. It is interesting to note that the woman who lives in the apartment near the lane stated that only a local would know of the lane's existence as it was so obscure.

There is of course the other side of the coin whereby the police in fact did not search that particular laneway at all. It may turn out that bums are going to be kicked big time in regard to this.

MOO.

She could easily have been followed from the bar by someone in an automobile. If someone overheard her tell her work colleague (as he was getting into a cab) that she was fine with walking home, the perp. might have seen an opportunity and seized upon it. You’re not going to grab someone on Sydney Road, and Hope Street might have have had car and foot traffic including the group of guys whose voices were overheard in the background by her brother.

If you look at the Google Map street view of Hope Street at the rail tracks, you have to step off the sidewalk (walking westbound on the south side) and onto the road to get around the gates by the bike path. A perfect spot to cut off a pedestrian and lift them into a car…

Like what please, not in my lexicon of this area of forensic homicide knowledge?

I've just started reading the year one book list for a degree in forensic science, I'm about to start.

I've read that a cooler bag with re-usable ice packs are used for storing living insect samples - one of the items often taken to a potential crime scene.

LE has added the Fadgallery to the timeline as a place Jill went to before she went to the other bars.

I wonder if there is a reason for this?

are they trying to get the public to offer info regarding seeing her e, seeing any interactions that stand out?

I wonder who the party was for?

did a group of her work colleagues attend too?

did she go by herself?

I am going to reread the article(s) to see if I can answer some of my own questions!

I reread an article... And found the b-day party was for a colleague, and a group of friends went by taxi to the Brunswick Green bar... So I guess she had colleagues with her at the Fad Gallery.

but I am still curious why this information was relayed recently, and not with the original reporting of occurrences.

Great information that the CCTV footage of Jill came from the Duchess Boutique on Sydney Road and that Jill was actually seen walking on that side of the road directly in front of the boutique. It's interesting to note that according to police the CCTV footage capturing Jill was time stamped at 1:41am. Secondly her phone call to her brother commenced at 1:43am. So it would seem that she made that call just two minutes after passing the Duchess Boutique. If she was walking while talking on the phone she would have reached, or almost reached the intersection of Sydney Road and Hope Street where there is a chemist on one corner and a shoe shop on the opposite corner and next-door is the Alasya Turkish Restaurant, which operates until 3:00am. The shoe shop may no longer be there now. I sourced this info from Google Maps (captured in 2009) and the shoe shop did have a 'closing down sale' sign in the window. Are any of the locals able to enlighten us as to what is there now?

So now we are left with a lot of speculative scenarios. It's quite possible that the background voices her brother heard on the phone came from patrons of the Alasya Restaurant. Did Jill decide to venture inside to grab something to eat? Did she meet up with someone she knew and decided to join them for a while? Was she hassled and accosted by someone or a group near the restaurant? Did someone decide to follow and attack her when she was even closer to her home. The fact that the owner of the restaurant said she heard screams may indicate that something happened to Jill very near the restaurant. I wonder if the restaurant owner bothered to investigate where the screams came from?

Then there is the alternative. Jill did make it home.

Below are some screencaps I grabbed from Google Maps to satisfy my own curiousity about the area. I've driven through Brunswick quite a few times over the years when I've visited Melbourne but I needed to get my bearings in relation to where Jill was last seen. From where she was seen on the CCTV footage outside the Duchess Boutique, there is nothing but shops and business houses on either side of Sydney Road. There are no dark alleys or parks that she could have been dragged into.

That's my two bobs worth and MOO except for the pics which are real, albeit three years old.

The Duchess Boutique Sydney Rd. Brunswick.
Duchess-Boutique1.jpg

Looking along Sydney Rd. from the Duchess Boutique towards Hope St.
From-Duchess-Boutique.jpg

Intersection of Hope St. and Sydney Rd. (Bloody truck!!) You can see the Alaysa Restaurant in the right of the pic.
Hope-St-and-Sydney-Road.jpg

A closer view looking down Hope St. with the Alaysa Restaurant on the right hand side of the pic on Sydney Road.
Hope-Street-and-Sydney-Road2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members