GUILTY Australia - Jill Meagher, 29, Melbourne, 22 Sep 2012 #1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't find it odd that she rang her brother on the way home at that time. I see people walking down the street all the time with their mobile phones glued to their ear. I can imagine that she was walking home and suddenly thought "*advertiser censored*, I promised to ring my brother and see how dad was." She does a quick calculation of the time difference in her head, thinks her brother would be still up and calls him. She reinforces the fact to her brother that she is worried about Dad and then the battery runs out.

The background noises are from other people in the street, or places that are still open. It's around 1:47 and she is quite close to home.

MOO

The battery didn't run out until later in the morning (around 8am). When the brother tried to call her back immediately it just rung out (as far as I'm aware).

If it's around 1:47 and she's close to home judging by street view she's in a reasonably quiet area (a fair way down hope street) I can't imagine that there would be enough people around/so nearby to her that you would be able to hear them speaking on the other end?

Also probably a moot point but I wonder if she called her brother's mobile or the family home phone? Seems like it must have been the home phone if the brother had to go downstairs to call her back so as not to wake her father?

Things about this disappearance doesn't add up for me. It leaves me with many questions. I find the whole thing odd.

From the video of the husband, it's posted on youtube on the ABC News stream, Sun 23rd Sept. The husband says that the police are doing a scan of Hope Street, yet they don't find the handbag until Monday morning. Strange!

At the 3 min mark he replies to the questioning of "the midlife crisis" with... "She's really happy here in Melbourne, we were discussing that like the day before she left. She left, or whatever happened." Now that strikes me as odd.

I take it that she went out with only a credit card and phone. No purse, no handbag. No ID!! His words exactly are... "that was the only thing that was with her, that and her phone, she left her purse at home". Now we can get into the semantics of what we all call a purse, wallet or handbag. They can be different to what others call a purse, wallet or handbag. But, when someone says all they had with them is a credit card and phone, that pretty much means the same thing no matter what country you're from. Agreed??

Do we know if she went home first before going out with work collegues? I ask this because if this is a straight after work "outing" I find it strange that she wouldn't have a handbag with her, and only a credit card and phone. So, I am assuming she went home, perhaps changed out of her work clothes, and then went out. Thus only taking the credit card and phone. Strange that then her handbag turns up found in an alleyway??

Didn't she go out straight from work? She didn't take a bag to work?

In that sort of accommodation would you use keys or a swipecard??

@Possumheart: Not sure, but she mightn't have needed either, if she expected her husband to let her in.

I don't find it odd that she rang her brother on the way home at that time. I see people walking down the street all the time with their mobile phones glued to their ear. I can imagine that she was walking home and suddenly thought "*advertiser censored*, I promised to ring my brother and see how dad was." She does a quick calculation of the time difference in her head, thinks her brother would be still up and calls him. She reinforces the fact to her brother that she is worried about Dad and then the battery runs out.

The background noises are from other people in the street, or places that are still open. It's around 1:47 and she is quite close to home.

MOO

I think it's already been established that was not the case.

She rang her family - in Perth (about midnight Perth time) and I seem to recall from the interview with her mother that it was the mother who answered the phone. I assume that it was a fixed-line phone - not a cordless, as she said she didn't want to disturb the father, so she'd get her brother up and he then went downstairs - presumably to another fixed line phone - to call Jill back.

Jill's husband Tom - in the interview video above - says that he called her perhaps 100 times between 2am and 8am, and the phone rang out then went to voicemail. About 8am it started going straight to voicemail, so presuambly the battery ran out at around 8am, or the phone was turned off about then - either by Jill or by somebody else.

That's my take on the phone thing, anyway. And yes, I still find it odd that she'd phone home at 2am Melbourne time, midnight Perth time, just to talk about her father, who is home and recovering from a stroke he had TWO WEEKS ago. Not exactly an emergency reason for a phone call in the middle of the night. There's still, to me at least, something odd about the whole phone call situation.

Also, when Tom refers to her going out with just her phone and a credit card, I think he would take it for granted that they would be in her handbag. I doubt she had pockets! She left her purse (what the Americans would call a wallet) at home, and just took the bare essentials.

The apparent planting of the handbag has me intrigued. WHY would somebody do that? Especially leaving the ID in it in the form of her credit card?

There are a lot of unanswered questions, apart from the obvious ones like what happened to Jill and where is she?

Didn't she go out straight from work? She didn't take a bag to work?

I am not sure we know that yet??? (not sure??) I do recall posting a link yesterday that quoted the husband saying he talked to her on the phone while He was still at work at 5pm.

(let me see if I can bump that up)

Yes.... And as someone said earlier. What a coincidence that her phone went to message bank presumably straight after phoning her brother and then she has not been seen since! And what stopped the phone call to her brother.... Did she hang up? Why was he phoning back?

The phone didn't die after speaking to her brother it was approximately 8am the next day according to the husband.

Is one possibility for the handbag that a neighbour found it and took it home, then once it was implicated in a murder case, freaked out and placed it back in the laneway?

I think it's already been established that was not the case.

She rang her family - in Perth (about midnight Perth time) and I seem to recall from the interview with her mother that it was the mother who answered the phone. I assume that it was a fixed-line phone - not a cordless, as she said she didn't want to disturb the father, so she'd get her brother up and he then went downstairs - presumably to another fixed line phone - to call Jill back.

Jill's husband Tom - in the interview video above - says that he called her perhaps 100 times between 2am and 8am, and the phone rang out then went to voicemail. About 8am it started going straight to voicemail, so presuambly the battery ran out at around 8am, or the phone was turned off about then - either by Jill or by somebody else.

That's my take on the phone thing, anyway. And yes, I still find it odd that she'd phone home at 2am Melbourne time, midnight Perth time, just to talk about her father, who is home and recovering from a stroke he had TWO WEEKS ago. Not exactly an emergency reason for a phone call in the middle of the night. There's still, to me at least, something odd about the whole phone call situation.

Also, when Tom refers to her going out with just her phone and a credit card, I think he would take it for granted that they would be in her handbag. I doubt she had pockets! She left her purse (what the Americans would call a wallet) at home, and just took the bare essentials.

The apparent planting of the handbag has me intrigued. WHY would somebody do that? Especially leaving the ID in it in the form of her credit card?

There are a lot of unanswered questions, apart from the obvious ones like what happened to Jill and where is she?

Totally agree with all the above. I also think it's significant she called the fixed line rather than the brothers mobile. There's been a general consensus that it's not a big deal to call a sibling late at night, but by calling the fixed number she ran the risk of waking up her whole family in order to speak to him.

Hi ... my sister works in a lab and does DNA, mRNA protocols .... she said that samples (i.e. hair, fingernails etc.) that will be used in detection procedures in the lab (for testing DNA etc.) are generally kept on ice or in liquid nitrogen until they can be processed ..... I think I understood what she was saying ......

For some reason, in this case in particular I am really hoping it is not the husband .... if you look back through her Facebook pictures it looks like they have known each other for a very long time and have shared lots of laughs together ....

I am praying for dear Jill and all her loved ones, please know you are in my heart!

A body part is all I can think of that needs an esky/ice.....

To be honest the way the handbag was found it was like it was placed there to divert attention from somewhere else. I read in a previous thread I took part in the significant of things of 3's. Where the crime happened is one place, where they get rid of evidence another place and here the body is a completely different place. I believe this may be the case with Jill.

Is one possibility for the handbag that a neighbour found it and took it home, then once it was implicated in a murder case, freaked out and placed it back in the laneway?

I think it’s possible that someone (may be a young punk) found the purse in the bushes elsewhere on Saturday, rifled through it and finding no cash, pitched it the laneway off Hope on Sunday night after realizing it belonged to the missing woman. If this person has, say, a minor record for theft then perhaps they wanted to stay clear of being questioned by the coppers?

I think it’s possible that someone (may be a young punk) found the purse in the bushes elsewhere on Saturday, rifled through it and finding no cash, pitched it the laneway off Hope on Sunday night after realizing it belonged to the missing woman. If this person has, say, a minor record for theft then perhaps they wanted to stay clear of being questioned by the coppers?

If this was the case they would highly likely to leave some sort of DNA such as hair fibers, fingerprints or skin on there. If this was the case I would think the person would just freak out and burn it or destroy the evidence.

More details about her walk home:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/na...479708333?sv=c23b70de8ea139e8a680f5050e8ca289

some interesting quotes:

A time stamp on the footage places Ms Meagher, 29, walking north on Sydney Rd less than 100m before Hope St, where her bag was found just around the corner.

He said Ms Meagher's last phone conversation, with her brother Michael McKeon, began at 1.43am when she was believed to be in Hope St, the conversation about her sick father lasting several minutes.

If she was in Hope St, it would have been just a few minutes walk from home. Insp Potter said that presuming both time stamps were correct, it narrowed her last known movements but the location of her exact disappearance was still a mystery.

"They have a conversation for several minutes about their dad," he said.

"He can hear males in the background.

"There was a presumption she was at the nightclub, but clearly she is not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Child in Time