GUILTY Australia - Jill Meagher, 29, Melbourne, 22 Sep 2012 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Purse and handbag are two very different and distinct items. A purse is what you carry your money and cards in, also called a wallet. A handbag is a carry all for everything, including a purse, makeup, phone, cigarettes and any other junk us women carry.
The statement by her husband that she left her purse home suggests that she returned home from work before venturing out. (Her husband was still at his work). She then took her credit card out of her purse, leaving the purse and put the card in her handbag, together with phone etc. Not unusual to do, as having 3 daughters, I know they do the same, taking minimal cash with them, as one credit card is sufficient. It was the handbag which was found, together with the credit card inside it.
The confusion re this is to do with terminology, and I think it is very unfair to impute anything other than profound concern and devastation to the husband's demeanour. Just my opinion.

Not down here.

Especially not for a man.

In Australia, purse and handbag are interchangeable.

If I was heading out with a female friend, I would say "have you got your purse" rather than "have you got your handbag", simply because purse is a shorter word and we are lazy speakers.

In Australia, most women would carry their cash and cards in a wallet, especially young working women.

We would then say "have you got your wallet" not, "have you got your purse".

Purses are EITHER handbags OR those little fiddly things that you keep coinage only in.

If a husband said "she left her purse at home" it would mean "handbag". If he said "she left her wallet at home" it would mean money-holder.

As Jill was a professional woman I would imagine she carried a wallet IN her purse, as I do.

Her husband would have been speaking of her "handbag" when he said purse. Otherwise he would have used the word "wallet". Only old ladies and little girls have those fiddly sort of change purses.

:cow:

I think it's strange that Jill's bag was found but not the phone. Think about it. The phone may contain incriminating information - i.e. texts to her husband about someone making her uncomfortable at the pub (or similar).

If it were a random attack, I'm sure the phone would be in her bag or found within the vicinity of the bag. What does an unknown perp have to hide in relation to the phone. Someone known to Jill however ............:twocents:

Unless she had the phone in a pocket or hidden somewhere. She may have had the presence of mind to take it out of her bag as she was being grabbed. Or maybe she had it in her hand as she was walking, so only dropped the bag in any struggle?

Not down here.

If I was heading out with a female friend, I would say "have you got your purse" rather than "have you got your handbag", simply because purse is a shorter word and we are lazy speakers.

In Australia, most women would carry their cash and cards in a wallet, especially young working women.

Purses are EITHER handbags OR those little fiddly things that you keep coinage only in.

If a husband said "she left her purse at home" it would mean "handbag". If he said "she left her wallet at home" it would mean money-holder.

As Jill was a professional woman I would imagine she carried a wallet IN her purse, as I do.

Her husband would have been speaking of her "handbag" when he said purse. Otherwise he would have used the word "wallet". Only old ladies and little girls have those fiddly sort of change purses.

I disagree with you.

Unless she had the phone in a pocket or hidden somewhere. She may have had the presence of mind to take it out of her bag as she was being grabbed. Or maybe she had it in her hand as she was walking, so only dropped the bag in any struggle?

Even the dimmest criminal now knows that mobile phones can be used to pinpoint whereabouts.

The phone would've been turned off and dumped.

I find it interesting that her brother tried to call her back but the phone went straight to voice mail - implying to me at least, that whatever happened, happened almost immediately after he spoke to her.

I disagree with you.

If you read this carefully, it supports what I have said -

SAMANTHA DONOVAN: There are conflicting reports about what Jill Meagher had with her on Friday night. Tom Meagher told reporters this morning his wife had left her purse at home and only had a bank card and her phone with her.

But Detective Inspector Potter says Ms Meagher's handbag was found in a laneway by a passerby this morning.

JOHN POTTER: The handbag is found in the laneway off Hope Street and we're making the assumption that she had that handbag with her during the evening. But again we have to clarify that with witnesses.

The word "purse" and "handbag" are referring to the same item...over which there is confusion. The reporter uses the shorter word, purse, the detective uses the more formal word, handbag.

If however, the reporter had said "she left her WALLET at home" then yes, no money carrier at all.

Not down here.

They are an Irish couple, I wonder what the vernacular is in Ireland re purse v handbag.

MOO

Hi Makara : ) :greetings:

Interesting to note that Tim no longer appears to be Facebook friends with Jill anymore as he was not listed when I looked. There are alot of men with this name too unfortunatley.

I thought it was Tom Wright? If so, they are still friends on FB.

MOO

Not down here.

You have to remember that both Jill and her hubby moved to Australia from Drogheda in Ireland just three years ago. It is not beyond the realms of possibility that he would still be using the terminology he was brought up with, so when he said 'purse' he would be speaking about something to keep notes, coins and credit cards in.

Not sure if this link has been posted yet, but it's from the Irish Sun and highlights the fact he said she would not have ID as she left her purse at home.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/irishsun/irishsunnews/4553437/Hubbys-terror-for-missing-girl-Im-freaking-out.html

MOO

Purse and handbag are two very different and distinct items. A purse is what you carry your money and cards in, also called a wallet. A handbag is a carry all for everything, including a purse, makeup, phone, cigarettes and any other junk us women carry.
The statement by her husband that she left her purse home suggests that she returned home from work before venturing out. (Her husband was still at his work). She then took her credit card out of her purse, leaving the purse and put the card in her handbag, together with phone etc. Not unusual to do, as having 3 daughters, I know they do the same, taking minimal cash with them, as one credit card is sufficient. It was the handbag which was found, together with the credit card inside it.
The confusion re this is to do with terminology, and I think it is very unfair to impute anything other than profound concern and devastation to the husband's demeanour. Just my opinion.

100% agree with you

I think it's strange that Jill's bag was found but not the phone. Think about it. The phone may contain incriminating information - i.e. texts to her husband about someone making her uncomfortable at the pub (or similar).

If it were a random attack, I'm sure the phone would be in her bag or found within the vicinity of the bag. What does an unknown perp have to hide in relation to the phone. Someone known to Jill however ............:twocents:

I'm not as sure ... if it is an expensive smart phone the perp could have kept it or someone coming by could have spotted it. Maybe found a dropped bag, took it into an alley to riffle through and took it. Hopefully they are too dumb to realise the phone identifies itself with more than it's sim card and if it gets changed and turned on it might be traced. It might end up at cash convertors, hope they are on the ball.

The text messages and call data will be accessible without the phone either way, so that's good if the phone would offer any useful info.

They are an Irish couple, I wonder what the vernacular is in Ireland re purse v handbag.

MOO

We use purse for the thing we carry our cash and cards in and a handbag is something we carry all our bits in including our purse. :twocents:

MOO

Interesting point and it made me watch the video to see if the husband is Australian or Irish.

He's Irish.

He said "she only had her bankcard and phone, she left her purse at home".

I suspect he meant "handbag", but he could easily have meant "wallet". In context, it doesn't really matter, as the question is, why was a handbag found, if she went out without one?

Was it definitely her handbag?

:dunno:

We use purse for the thing we carry our cash and cards in and a handbag is something we carry all our bits in including our purse. :twocents:

Do you not have ladies wallets, or do you just call them purses regardless?

I love the interesting tid bits you learn on here...

I'm not as sure ... if it is an expensive smart phone the perp could have kept it or someone coming by could have spotted it. Maybe found a dropped bag, took it into an alley to riffle through and took it. Hopefully they are too dumb to realise the phone identifies itself with more than it's sim card and if it gets changed and turned on it might be traced. It might end up at cash convertors, hope they are on the ball.

The text messages and call data will be accessible without the phone either way, so that's good if the phone would offer any useful info.

Alternatively she may have had her phone in her hand if she was calling/texting/facebooking...she may have dropped her handbag or had it taken from her but had a grip on the phone?

Or it's been taken to sell later?

I know at times I slip mine into my jacket pocket when I'm walking about...

MOO

Apologies for not posting a link - at work on my phone

Police now saying they believe the handbag was not there on Sunday and was planted

I thought it was odd noone had noticed it earlier...

Below is a screencap of the handbag beside the car. IMO this is how it was found because the police are still in the process of photographing it.

View attachment 26875

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/8537433/abc-radio-employee-missing-in-melbourne

Work keeps interrupting my sleuthing and I am having trouble keeping up with the thread, so I am not sure if anyone has mentioned this already, but the overhead shot of the bag, posted by Makara (see the attachment above), looks very different to the one in the more recent photos.

ds_meagher25a_20120925065909440203-620x414.jpg

I think here "purse" and "handbag" mean the same thing. The thing we keep our money and cards in is a "wallet" or some still call it a "billfold" which is an old-timey country expression.
Some women carry large tote bags.

I wonder if the terminology is different state to state here. I have never called my purse a wallet. I've never heard my friends refer to their wallets either. I would always refer to the male equivalent as a wallet though.

In any case, I wonder how much this terminology really is relevant to the case...

Hopefully today brings some answers, I hope good ones.

MOO

Apologies for not posting a link - at work on my phone

Police now saying they believe the handbag was not there on Sunday and was planted

I thought it was odd noone had noticed it earlier...

Thanks for all the Irish who tuned it, it seems certain her husband meant her wallet, if he spoke about her ID.

Either way...WOW. Planted?????????

I didn't see that coming.

It could mean the perp is a local.

ETA: if you go to ebay Australia, search for Ladies purses, guess what comes up? Handbags.

Nope, wallets are generally the male domain, whilst ladies tend to have purses. Of course, there are always exceptions :)

This is a well known department store with branches throughout the UK and Ireland

Search for purse.... http://www.debenhams.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Navigate?ps=&storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&x=0&y=0&txt=purse

Search for wallet....
http://www.debenhams.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Navigate?ps=&storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&x=16&y=11&txt=wallet

Under wallet, select women....
http://www.debenhams.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Navigate?ps=&storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&x=16&y=11&txt=wallet#catalogId=10001&lid=//productsuniverse/en_GB/product_online%3DY/insearch%3D1/%24s%3Dwallet/categories%3C%7Bproductsuniverse_18661%7D&ps=default&sfn=CATEGORIES&sfv=Women&storeId=10001

I rest my case :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member