GUILTY Australia - Jill Meagher, 29, Melbourne, 22 Sep 2012 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think this an appropriate time to post the below information, given an arrest has been made and formal charges are expected very soon.

As always in cases on WebSleuths that are Australian, the subject of subjudice and case justice will come up. Below is what the co-owner of WebSleuths has said, and is good common sense to apply in all cases.

Best regards,
~Summer_Breeze

Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - Threadiquette- Questions about rules welcome here
If that is the case, why cant we delete our posts???

11.03pm: ABC reporters have confirmed that Jill Meagher is dead. Body is yet to be found.

http://www.reddit.com/r/melbourne/comments/10k0q7/man_arrested_in_jill_meagher_case/c6e4kmz

I'm guessing evidence found at his house. Perhaps the blue hoodie, with bloodstains?

Reading confirmation that she is dead has literally made me feel sick and devastated. I hope he tells them what happened (as bad as that might be) so Jill's husband, family & friends don't have to spend every moment agonizing over it all. Most of all, I hope he tells them where she is so she can have a proper burial/funeral service as she and her family so much deserve :(

alert the post if you have concerns.

(little red triangle, upper right hand corner)

you also can delete your post: click edit.. delete button is on the far right (but there is a time limit that you can go back and delete: if you want to delete after this time hit the alert button)

hth

You can with-in a certain time frame. And, after that has elapsed you can alert a mod to your own post and ask them to delete it.

how strange they tell the media everything off the record! Aren't they afraid there will be leaks????

No, you get in an awful lot of trouble if you leak a story , especially involving a crime as serious as this one.

The media will not be allowed to discuss this until it goes to court. No discussions like CNN and Nancy Grace would have at all.

We (the media) are often given stories at 5pm which have a midnight embargo on them. So until midnight you can't do anything or say anything. Papers can do the story (because they won't be out before midnight), radio can have the story in their midnight news bulletin and TV usually has to wait until morning (the 24 hour news stations can run it after midnight)

This is the part that scares me with social media. What happens if WE discuss it here (in America) - if I were in Australia I would get sued but what happens when you are in America? As users of social networks are we supposed to follow the law of Australia from America?

I also find the words 'media' and 'off the record' in the same sentence to be contradictory. After all, their job is to report news. Hmmmmm. Odd.

Maybe telling them off the record prevents them from trying to find it out on their own, in sneaky ways, that they could then report

Anything said was said before he was charged (which he hasn't been yet).
There are also issues about jurisdiction, i.e. where web server is based.

But to be sensible you wouldn't say anything after he's charged that could jeopardise the trial.
Other than that, it's hard to imagine what could be said that's worse than what he may be charged for and therefore damage his character.

I've been lurking a while. First time post. I'm soo sad this has taken this twist. I really hoped she would be okay... I hope her family will be okay. It's tragic.

I wanted to mention that i'm pretty sure some of those previous reports about similar attacks mentioned a tattoo. I think it was the mako (?) identikit, but I've had trouble finding it.

No, you get in an awful lot of trouble if you leak a story , especially involving a crime as serious as this one.

The media will not be allowed to discuss this until it goes to court. No discussions like CNN and Nancy Grace would have at all.

We (the media) are often given stories at 5pm which have a midnight embargo on them. So until midnight you can't do anything or say anything. Papers can do the story (because they won't be out before midnight), radio can have the story in their midnight news bulletin and TV usually has to wait until morning (the 24 hour news stations can run it after midnight)

This is the part that scares me with social media. What happens if WE discuss it here (in America) - if I were in Australia I would get sued but what happens when you are in America? As users of social networks are we supposed to follow the law of Australia from America?
thanks Gut!

Yes, we all know in America if they were given anything it would be tweeted out in a nanosecond and spread around the universe.

Oh Jeez... Is that a wedding ring on his finger?

this shot makes him look like a tuffy,with gold chain, tatts, neat hair when compared to the cctv images, hope he wasnt part of some sort of gangster gang IYKWIM

Just horrific isn't it? I almost don't want to hear the details the media heard tonight. Both @AndrewJaffrey and @AhronYoung commented on how horrible it was.

One of the skynews tweets was "oh no" ..... that was it. It must be just awful.

welcome divertido and all other new members and guests. I would normally throw some fireworks in there.. but considering the grave news will just say welcome and we are glad you are here.

It usually goes to jurisdiction, i.e. where the web server is based. So, if you in USA logged onto an Australian based server and committed an offence under Australian law you could be charged. Same for us in reverse. That's why our Federal Police couldn't do much over Facebook trolls because the server isn't in Australia.

and I know they have said he acted alone....but anyone else who has been on here all day remember that a witness said that there was a second guy further up????? has that disappeared as well?? something definitely going on as they have been reporting that the guy in the red sweater (with THE moustache) said that he didnt see her go past the kebab shop and that BH was normal looking.(or was it him who mentioned about the second guy?).........

BBM: he didn't see it doesn't mean she didn't. He said the Hoodie guy looked normal - he was just answering the questions asked as honestly as he could, doesn't mean he is right though.

Police need doors to knock on: places to visit and people to see.
Names and addresses - and the databases that hold them - are the nuts and bolts in the investigators' tool box.
And security footage, like telephone intercepts and DNA, give modern crime fighters the edge in a manhunt.
Last night's arrest of a 41-year-old northern suburbs man follows the most gruelling investigation in Melbourne since the "Mr Cruel" abductions of the late 1980s and early 1990s

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/vi...-meagher-mystery/story-e6frf7kx-1226482914166

I'm less worried about getting sued and more worried about damaging the case against alleged murderer.
Yep... same here.

Legal experts say the mass media effect of social networks and armchair detectives could backfire and may help defence lawyers contrive a convenient escape hatch for clients.

And while the law may not yet be able to prosecute individuals using Twitter or Facebook who comment on criminal cases, the cumulative effect of trial by social media could interfere with justice.

'It is contempt to talk about someone's innocence or guilt before it is presented in court,' David Rolph, an associate professor of law at Sydney University, told news.com.au.

'The problem for social media is an individual may have a lot of followers or be retweeted, but what happens when there's a groundswell of prejudicial material? The harm is done by the cumulative effect of people talking on social media sites rather than one individual being responsible.'

The issue with something like adverse comments on social media - it may reach a point where it's not possible for the jury to evaluate the defendant independently, or on the evidence presented to them in the court process.

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/technology/t...ce/story-e6frfro0-1226482373605#ixzz27g2rfUuD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robbya