GUILTY Australia - Jill Meagher, 29, Melbourne, 22 Sep 2012 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm no LE expert but confess I'm a little confused about concerns about social media comments contaminating the case. The man confessed. What else needs to be said or proven?

As far as I know pleas haven't been lodged yet? And even then you can still be in contempt of court for publishing prejudicial material right up until the time period for appeals lapses, even after a guilty verdict has been found.

An apology is very acceptable, in fact, honourable.... but understanding this if something like this happens to you is be a big ask. That's like saying that Tom and his family, in spite of Tom's innocence, would think it was okay and understable that he was hammered and insulted with fingers pointing to him as the murderer of his own wife in the way he has been in social media.

..... and still, even after the police had cleared him and said he was not a suspect it did not abate much at all. That's also a negative slurr againts the police by implying they are wrong but you (the generalised rhetoric you), are right and know more than the police.

Best post I have seen :)
I snipped because it was such a long comment but Thank You just wasn't enough.

It should never ever be ok to sit here (online - I am not referring to WS exclusively) and be wrong, own it, learn from it and most importantly never forget it.
It seems so many think that because they were wrong on a website it is all ok, because we never know who is behind the screen.

I'm no LE expert but confess I'm a little confused about concerns about social media comments contaminating the case. The man confessed. What else needs to be said or proven?

I may be wrong, but I am not sure that the Police have commented on exactly what the accused may have confessed to. It's reported he led Police to where Jill was buried and I have no doubt that they have additional evidence that led to him being charged with Jill's murder, rape and abduction. On its own though, that he has been charged does not necessarily mean he has confessed to these particular crimes.

It sounds trite I know and I don't think it's particularly helpful to speculate about what he may have told LE, but it's not uncommon for those accused to say anything in an effort to minimise the extent of their involvement. He may of course full confessed his involvement in the crimes, but the Prosecution still need to prove their case and a Court still needs to convict him.

Paraphrasing somewhat... I notice a number of previously published news pages have been pulled since the arrest and charge. One reason being that the mass social media effect may help defence lawyers contrive a convenient escape hatch for their clients.

Another being about getting a fair trial because of the prejudicial material on social media sites in that the jury may be affected to a degree, where it's not possible for them to evaluate the defendant independently, or on the evidence presented to them in the court process.

Best post I have seen :)
I snipped because it was such a long comment but Thank You just wasn't enough.

It should never ever be ok to sit here (online - I am not referring to WS exclusively) and be wrong, own it, learn from it and most importantly never forget it.
It seems so many think that because they were wrong on a website it is all ok, because we never know who is behind the screen.

Well that renders the whole Ramsay thread on here that has being going for years very wrong then. They were both cleared and still on that thread people are saying that they think it is them. Honestly it has happened quite a few times that even after being cleared, they do end up being the perp. I do not condone the people on here saying that they thought it was the husband at all......it did seem suspicious with the handbag. if they were downright rude about him or nasty, then that is another thing...and maybe if the handbag had not turned up after the police search, but really I dont think it is such a big issue that is being made out............maybe I have been on here too long and seen too many cases. Shall come back later on today....have a good day all

I now no longer care a whit about about privacy in that there should be more CCTV and police should be allowed to run image matching searches of indentikits through Facebook and all pics uploaded to Facebook.

I may be wrong, but I am not sure that the Police have commented on exactly what the accused may have confessed to. It's reported he led Police to where Jill was buried and I have no doubt that they have additional evidence that led to him being charged with Jill's murder, rape and abduction. On its own though, that he has been charged does not necessarily mean he has confessed to these particular crimes.

It sounds trite I know and I don't think it's particularly helpful to speculate about what he may have told LE, but it's not uncommon for those accused to say anything in an effort to minimise the extent of their involvement. He may of course full confessed his involvement in the crimes, but the Prosecution still need to prove their case and a Court still needs to convict him.

It said in an article last night that he had confessed to attacking her (whether this lead to Jill beimg deceased is obviously what they have evidence of?) and was assisting police with leading them to her body. Seems they must have very strong evidence as well.

:welcome: LeoBear, Missjonesxx, Catswhiskers, Missymoo,

And if any one was missed it's because...well... Look at my moniker...

Need I say more?

:seeya:

Is there a connection between steroids and aggressive behaviour, or is that aggressive people are more likely to use steroids (care about having huge muscles etc)?

Definitely a connection between steroid abuse (here I'm referring to the non-sex steroids, such as anabolic steroids used by the body builders and gym junkies) and aggression in males. And the testosterone supplements such as Sustanon and numerous others generally cause greatly increased libido and often - but not always - of the aggressive type.

Ironically, they also damage the liver, and also suppress the pituitary hormones that maintain sperm production, and eventually lead to atrophy (shrinkage) of the testes over the longer term.

But sudden cessation of taking these can leave the body in a very sorry state, as the pituitary drive for NORMAL steroid and hormone secretion has been suppressed by the supplements. Sometimes the withdrawal can be life threatening.

EDIT: removed example of person who may be well known.

Victoria Police asking for social media chat to stop

https://www.facebook.com/victoriapolice?ref=stream

"We ask you to refrain from posting anything on social media ......"

Yep am definitely going to do the housework now........ I saw this happen as well with that young guy in SA (think) that killed the girl he was obsessed with and her parents..... the social media is very very much a part of modern life, so I really dont know what they are going to do to fix this problem with these cases. But I certainly dont want to be responsible for jeopardizing this case

I didn't say on here but did originally think TM seemed off, I will admit I was wrong and I was happy to be wrong and I did hope that maybe she was still alive somewhere, until the CCTV footage came out and it seemed less likely :( I do hope the man charged gets his just desserts but I don't think the hate pages on FB about him are very productive and like many I truly hope they don't prevent the course of justice being done by creating some loophole for his lawyer.

I wish TM and Jill's poor family all the sympathies in the world, this would be truly devastating.

Agree with all. I also asked some questions, but I guess it was mainly because it was almost inconceivable to me that Gillian could have been abducted from such a public and relatively busy street with no witnesses (that we heard about anyway), only one report of a scream which wasn't really made a big deal of, and in such a specific and short timeframe, AND so heartbreakingly close to her home. It is still inconceivable and I, like so many, am in shock and horror that this could happen. My heart goes out to Tom now and can't even imagine what he would be going through. It just isn't fair :(

I think everyone, male and female, should read The Gift of Fear. My girlfriend read it recently and has found herself in a few situations when she's used what she's learned.

The basic premise is that you should listen to your instincts, they're usually right. And if they're wrong, what's the trade-off? Offending someone by moving away from them or asking someone else for help is the worst that can happen if you're wrong. If you're right...well we know what the worst that could happen is.

Please do not read this as blaming Jill for not listening to her instincts. It might have been too late even if she did.

My anger has eased since my earlier anger laden post directed at the man who has been arrested (I refuse to use his name). If you have the means, support the Victorian Police - today is Blue Ribbon Day.

http://www.remember.org.au/

The basic premise is that you should listen to your instincts, they're usually right. And if they're wrong, what's the trade-off? Offending someone by moving away from them or asking someone else for help is the worst that can happen if you're wrong. If you're right...well we know what the worst that could happen is.

I've spoken to men who are offended when women (strangers) don't trust them. Maybe they are both walking down a street at night and the woman crosses the road to avoid him. Or they're alone in a train carriage and she changes carriages.

They have been upset that women were insinuating they are rapists.

So if you want women to act on their instincts - to OVERreact, be safe rather than sorry, please try not to be offended by this behaviour. It isn't personal. It isn't about you.

I think everyone, male and female, should read The Gift of Fear. My girlfriend read it recently and has found herself in a few situations when she's used what she's learned.

Please do not read this as blaming Jill for not listening to her instincts. It might have been too late even if she did.

My anger has eased since my earlier anger laden post directed at the man who has been arrested (I refuse to use his name). If you have the means, support the Victorian Police - today is Blue Ribbon Day.

http://www.remember.org.au/

This is a very good suggestion. That book is gold. Teach your kids it is ok to over react.

I think most of us have stuffed up at times, like already said, we are human and fallible after all.... though for me, it's more what I think to myself rather than what I write on any site publically. I admit that I am super careful nowadays especially after witnessing what happened in the Joanna Yeates where it wasn't just the social media, but mainstream media involved as well.

Murder of Joanna Yeates - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

To be honest, I cringe at the thought if I personally was ever put in the situation where I knew I was innocent but the people 'out there' still carried on as if I was guilty. I don't think I'd be too understanding at all.

But then, I guess, it's difficult to sleuth without considering all aspects of a situation.

Damned if you do and damned if you don't, but at least here on WS, there is a high standard set as to how one sleuths and speculates without all the dergatory name calling and super negative emotive stuff which lowers a person's attitude down to a 'killer's thinking level. I for one appreciate that very much.

I know this is all standard procedure about not jeopardizing the court case, trial etc but I just feel as if we are basically being told to "shut up". I guess we basically are, aren't we? Well there goes the whole point to my post. I do wholeheartedly agree with the refraining from posting anything on social networking about it. Don't know exactly what I am trying to say I think I am too emotional (thanks preggo hormones!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bluestlamb