GUILTY Australia - Jill Meagher, 29, Melbourne, 22 Sep 2012 #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

It is an established legal precedent that an offender is entitled to a substantial sentence discount for admitting guilt and avoiding a protected trial.

However, this decision saves the family further trauma.

BBM - in my own completely unbiased, fair, and equitable opinion - he should not be entitled to ANYTHING!

Except a cell, locked, and with no key! This type of offender has ZERO chance of ever being rehabilitated. Castration would diminish his urges, but not his personality disorders. but of course, he has rights - so the courts can't order him to be castrated! "Chemical" castration only lasts as long as they take the pills!

Lock him in a cell with Hunter (Sarah McCafferkey case) and let them just enjoy each others' company for the next 40 or 50 years!

Why should they have ANY rights at all?

Jill did - but they were well and truly violated!

Agreed Dr Watson - this plea change is so clearly a cynical ploy to see if he can get out of jail before he dies in order to spread more of his evil. One can only hope this self-absorbed pathetic excuse for a lifeform is locked away for whatever remains of his miserable existence... He completely gave up his 'rights' to anything a long long time ago. That he has been free to damage and destroy so many is a travesty - enough and beyond enough. MOO but it is soooo the case!!

This was all done outside of the court process, as a negotiation between the lawyers - so there was no plea and rejection in the sense I think you are referring to.

They have simply agreed to admit guilt to 2 charges (1 of murder and 1 of rape) while dropping other charges.

I'm not sure how this advantages the accused unless the multiple rapes (seems there were other victims) would have been consecutive sentences (rather than concurrent) or there are some benefits to the type of custody he will be in.

It seems:
- the sentence will be dictated by the murder charge (so isnt reduced)
- money cant be the issue as it was all government legal aid
- reputation shouldn't be an issue as it could hardly get worse

Whatever the reason it is great news that there will no court case with all the horrible details that would need to be released. Her family can now put this behind them and start to the long rebuilding process.

BBM
Let's hope sentencing in any other matters that AB is charged with deliver sentences that will run consecutive to this one ... as we all know, a life sentence for rape/murder doesn't really mean a life sentence for rape/murder.

I'm really glad that Jill's family don't have to listen to all of the upsetting details again.

Family warned authorities about Jill Meagher accused Adrian Bayley, by Anthony Dowsley, Herald Sun, April 05, 2013 12:00AM

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/la...ed-adrian-bayley/story-fnat79vb-1226612460505

AUTHORITIES were warned that Adrian Bayley was a risk of attacking a woman before Jill Meagher was raped and killed.
The Herald Sun can reveal that months before the 29-year-old ABC employee was raped and strangled, Bayley's parents met authorities and pleaded with them over their grave concerns about his behaviour.

So have they agreed to drop the two other rape charges in return for a guilty plea? Hopefully that's the only discount he gets.. Surely he must never be released!

Does anyone know of any other cases similar where someone has pleaded guilty but stil got a full life sentence?

I'm so relieved!

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/la...police-interview/story-fnat79vb-1226612848008

Inside Adrian Bayley's police interview
Paul Anderson From: Herald Sun April 05, 2013 12:00AM

ADRIAN Bayley had no idea homicide squad detectives had a mountain of surveillance information linking him to the death of Jill Meagher as he sat in one of their interview rooms about to be questioned on video...

At first, Bayley flatly denied any involvement. ''Man, I don't know anything about it,'' he told Sen-Det Rowe.
''Like you said to me earlier that you have, you know, like CCTV footage and stuff but it might - it could be someone that looks like me, you know what I mean?".

A big thank you to Victoria Police Detectives for apprehending, arresting and charging Adrian Bayley. Well done. Hopefully he can be removed from the community permanently.

So have they agreed to drop the two other rape charges in return for a guilty plea? Hopefully that's the only discount he gets.. Surely he must never be released!

Does anyone know of any other cases similar where someone has pleaded guilty but stil got a full life sentence?

I'm so relieved!

In the following case of the shocking murder of little Trinity Bates, her killer changed his plea to guilty a week before his trial was due to start. He was still sentenced to life.

August 02, 2012

THE man who took eight-year-old Bundaberg schoolgirl Trinity Lee Bates from her room in the dead of night, before choking her and drowning her in a drain culvert, has been jailed for life.
Allyn John Slater, 22, was charged with the child's murder after her body was found in a drain 100m from her Walker St home at 6.15am on February 22, 2010.
Slater, 22, entered a plea of guilty during a pre-trial hearing in the Brisbane Supreme Court on Wednesday

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/na...rl-trinity-bates/story-fndo45r1-1226440523145

August 02, 2012

Allyn John Slater, 22, was to stand trial in Bundaberg next week over the death of eight-year-old Trinity.

However, Slater opted to plead guilty yesterday midway through a pre-trial hearing in the Supreme Court in Brisbane.

His sentence was adjourned until today.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...-jailed-for-life/story-e6frg6nf-1226441513221

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...ed-adrian-bayley/story-e6freon6-1226612460505

AUTHORITIES were warned that Adrian Bayley was a risk of attacking a woman before Jill Meagher was raped and killed.

The Herald Sun can reveal that months before the 29-year-old ABC employee was raped and strangled, Bayley's parents met authorities and pleaded with them over their grave concerns about his behaviour.

The tip-off led to a confrontation between Bayley and his family, with whom he had been living after a court appearance.

Bayley then left the family home early last year, and moved with his girlfriend to Coburg, only a kilometre away from where he attacked Ms Meagher just months later.

Family warned authorities about Jill Meagher accused Adrian Bayley, by Anthony Dowsley, Herald Sun, April 05, 2013 12:00AM

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/la...ed-adrian-bayley/story-fnat79vb-1226612460505

I feel so horrible for his parents too. They tried. Can you imagine reporting our own son? Then to find out he's the monster who killed lovely Jill? They must have been watching the news with bated breath. Their lives are destroyed too. So much unnecessary destruction this man has caused.

For what reason would the OPP refuse his not-guilty plea to murder?
If he pleads guilty today, does that mean the media will start publishing information that had been withheld previously? Particularly about this official that tipped him off?

For what reason would the OPP refuse his not-guilty plea to murder?
If he pleads guilty today, does that mean the media will start publishing information that had been withheld previously? Particularly about this official that tipped him off?

I think there may still be a suppression order involved with some of the info & the judge may decide not to allow its release.

Angeline, I think they refused his plea deal offer because they have an exceptionally solid case and were confident that they could get a murder conviction, and weren't willing to accept anything less. From what we know of the case, I'm pretty sure a jury would find it hard NOT to convict him of murder given the prosecution's case, hence, why they wouldn't accept a manslaughter plea. We all know it wasn't manslaughter. I'm really not sure any more info will come out.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/la...police-interview/story-fnat79vb-1226612848008

Inside Adrian Bayley's police interview
Paul Anderson From: Herald Sun April 05, 2013 12:00AM

ADRIAN Bayley had no idea homicide squad detectives had a mountain of surveillance information linking him to the death of Jill Meagher as he sat in one of their interview rooms about to be questioned on video...

At first, Bayley flatly denied any involvement. ''Man, I don't know anything about it,'' he told Sen-Det Rowe.
''Like you said to me earlier that you have, you know, like CCTV footage and stuff but it might - it could be someone that looks like me, you know what I mean?".

A big thank you to Victoria Police Detectives for apprehending, arresting and charging Adrian Bayley. Well done. Hopefully he can be removed from the community permanently.

Isn't it interesting, he was so remorseful and cried for her, yet his first reaction was to save himself. What a liar.

Also noted that his phone was in Brunswick an hour after he attacked Jill... What was he doing for that hour?

Adrian Bayley has pleaded guilty to the murder of Melbourne woman Jill Meagher #2GBNews

He has another plea hearing on June 11? Is that a typo, or something to do with the rape charges?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atriumproperties