GUILTY Australia - Jill Meagher, 29, Melbourne, 22 Sep 2012 #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Adrian Ernest Bayley lodged an appeal with the Supreme Court on Wednesday, a court spokeswoman said on Thursday.

<snipped>

Justice Nettle said he had decided to impose a non-parole period of 35 years to give Bayley some incentive to try to rehabilitate himself in jail, and because he considered the guilty plea reflected some small degree of remorse.

http://m.theage.com.au/victoria/adr...jill-meaghers-rape-murder-20130718-2q5x1.html

Ugh! Just when you think this creep couldn't get any lower. Still facing three rape charges and now appealing a murder sentence. Yeah, really remorseful....not :mad:

What a hide!!! IMO it shows ZERO remorse! Which is no surprise at all...

Adrian Ernest Bayley lodged an appeal with the Supreme Court on Wednesday, a court spokeswoman said on Thursday.

<snipped>

Justice Nettle said he had decided to impose a non-parole period of 35 years to give Bayley some incentive to try to rehabilitate himself in jail, and because he considered the guilty plea reflected some small degree of remorse.

http://m.theage.com.au/victoria/adr...jill-meaghers-rape-murder-20130718-2q5x1.html

Justice Nettle needs a swift kick in the pants, IMO.

He cannot, just cannot be serious. Rehabilitate? Remorse? It's just an insane POV in light of what is known about Bayley, let alone this being a consideration in sentencing.

I totally understand a judge -having- to apply this sentence according to legal restraints. But to do so as incentive to rehabilitate - who now? a serious, violent, habitual sex crimes multiple re-offender????

Wtf. Just wtf.

Legal Aid woes for the tax payer.

Quote....

A Legal Aid spokeswoman said she could not confirm the appeal. Legal Aid barrister Saul Holt had represented Bayley during the trial.
It is unclear under what grounds Bayley will appeal his sentence. It could not be confirmed that he would argue the sentence was &#8216;&#8216;manifestly excessive,&#8217;&#8217; as has been reported.Bayley had 28 days from the date of sentencing to lodge the appeal, a deadline that passed on Thursday.

Jill's family were advised of the appeal and some news outlets report they will not comment.

Grrr .. these sick creeps wasting our tax dollars on appeals.

Honestly, if life were fair he would be raped and murdered as he did to Jill.

But as we are too civilised for that, 35 years being housed, clothed, fed, watered, educated, exercised, entertained by the taxpayer is a walk in the park.

Clearly utterly sociopathic BS from Bayley in court about him supposedly "agreeing a life sentence would be appropriate". And his written letter about how sorry he was for all the suffering caused... yep, just tell 'em what they want to hear Adrian, it's worked for you in the past, hey.

So the "I'll never harm another person ever again... life is so fragile..." crock didn't give him the result he was after, and now his deeply remorseful sensibility is to drag the family through ongoing anguish.

Agree totally that this appeal indicates absolutely NO remorse in the hairy knuckled throwback whatsoever. Hopefully the appeal judges see it that way and readjust his sentence accordingly - ie. increase the length of the sentence to reflect that lack of remorse. Correct me if I'm mistaken, but as I understand it the risk with appealing a sentence is it may also be increased?

Off topic but I was talking to a family member who worked extensively within the prison system. He thinks Bayley will be given an alias and secretly moved to an interstate prison. I wasn't aware this happened and was quite shocked! His face has been splashed everywhere though so I'd imagine its hard to maintain his anonymity.

Agreed he has no business appealing a sentence that was more than fair given the crime he commited and his criminal background. Grub.

Clearly utterly sociopathic BS from Bayley in court about him supposedly "agreeing a life sentence would be appropriate". And his written letter about how sorry he was for all the suffering caused... yep, just tell 'em what they want to hear Adrian, it's worked for you in the past, hey.

So the "I'll never harm another person ever again... life is so fragile..." crock didn't give him the result he was after, and now his deeply remorseful sensibility is to drag the family through ongoing anguish.

Agree totally that this appeal indicates absolutely NO remorse in the hairy knuckled throwback whatsoever. Hopefully the appeal judges see it that way and readjust his sentence accordingly - ie. increase the length of the sentence to reflect that lack of remorse. Correct me if I'm mistaken, but as I understand it the risk with appealing a sentence is it may also be increased?

BBM

Yes that's correct. There's been a few cases over the years where sentences have been increased on appeal...not often enough though.

One case that comes to mind, a child rapist in Northern Territory...

Feb 6, 2013

The Northern Territory Court of Criminal Appeal has increased the jail sentence of a man convicted of sexually assaulting a child

The Director of Public Prosecutions appealed the sentence, saying it was manifestly inadequate.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-02-06/child-rapist-sentence-increased/4504626

Totally agree - 'tell em what they wanna hear' by god he is a cretin. What about his deep sorrow, and believing there should be a death penalty for people like him? How dare he think his sentence is too excessive. I'll tell you what's too excessive AEB, no longer having a life. Family members losing their wife/daughter/sister - life long trauma that's too excessive. Jill's life was taken cause of this swines actions, why in hell, should he get out at all to live his? What about all the sorrow for the family?

While my blood boils, I now wish this is an opportunity for him to get the MAX or at least, an increase in his rape sentence of 15 of a possible 25. Wouldn't it be a small mercy for his sentence to be increased as a result of this appeal. I cannot see any judge reducing the one he has. I'm so angry. :banghead::stormingmad:

I'm pretty confident that with 35 years plus whatever convictions he hopefully has coming, he won't ever be getting out. I guess he figures he has nothing to lose by appealing. I wouldn't be surprised if Adrian Bayley becomes a litigious inmate just to gain some sense of control. I would be very happy if his sentence was increased just to take him down a notch. I feel for Jill's family. This is the last thing they need. I hope they were warned that he would probably appeal.

I honestly don't care if he has a comfortable life in prison. I just want him out of society and forgotten about. Making him suffer is not going to bring back Jill or help any of his other victims.

July 19, 2013

UPDATE: TOM Meagher has used Facebook to call for his wife’s killer Adrian Ernest Bayley to face a lengthier jail term after his shock appeal.

Mr Meagher wants more years added to his wife&#8217;s killer&#8217;s 35-year minimum sentence, after Bayley's appeal this week.

Jill Meagher&#8217;s relatives and friends are already dealing with more uncertainty and pain after learning her killer has lodged an appeal against the length of his jail term.

http://www.news.com.au/breaking-new...is-life-sentence/story-e6frfkp9-1226681302981

Hal, the Attorney General after the sentence can appeal that the sentence was too light and put forth their own appeal disregarding the Prosecutor. In Queensland a guy got off for raping his daughter and 2 friends and gave them drugs during the assault. I am guessing the Judge said because the accused gave HIS DAUGHTER and 2 friends drugs, they did not know they were being raped on a back yard trampoline. In this case, the AG appeals against a light or non custodial sentence. However, this isn't the case here. An appeal will only give a lighter sentence.

From what I can gather, looking at the Max Sica case in Qld, he appealed in a court of 3 judges. Their decision was held over for 3 months. I have researched that they did not make a verdict on the day but will hand down their verdict with in 3 months. They have till the end of July to have their judgement. He is appealing for a lower sentence.

Bayley had until Thursday to Lodge an appeal. He lodged it on Wednesday. I believe the Jill's family were advised of any appeal date before hand therefore may their feelings known on the day. There will be no new trial. He can put his case to 3 judges. No way will they have a finding of a lesser sentence.

I can't believe he is doing this. Wasn't he the one who said he should be locked up for good (or something to that effect). Oh, how his mind works. I hope they don't let him drag everyone through the courts over and over - heaven forbid he appeals every conviction he gets.

I can't believe he is doing this. Wasn't he the one who said he should be locked up for good (or something to that effect). Oh, how his mind works. I hope they don't let him drag everyone through the courts over and over - heaven forbid he appeals every conviction he gets.

This is how he works remember? It appears this is his style to deceive the authorities. He was released into the public before because the clowns believed he was rehabilitated. God forbid, they'd better not fall for this again. I'D LOVE TO SEE HIS SENTENCE EXTENDED.
I'm so sorry that Tom and family has had to go through this horror because of our foolish judicial system. It's pathetic, embarrassing and a bloody crime within itself.
no 240 volts cause I needed to say that.

I have a suspicion the whole judicial system in a way wants crims like Bayley to just 'tell them what they want to hear' and 'go through the motions' of remorse.

This way judges can justify to themselves dishing out lesser sentences and ultimately relieving pressure on the prison system. And defence lawyers can justify to themselves aiding vile individuals in their quest to evade punishment.

When people like Bayley offend yet again they can all then say "well, we weren't to know- he said he was deeply sorry for his actions... cried during his police interview... wrote an apology...promised to be good etc"

I agree Bayley has been play acting remorse from the moment he realised the game was up. Taking police to where he buried her, not out of any sense of decency like he was suggesting, but knowing his phone would have lead police to the site anyway and that it would 'look better' if he cooperated. I think he tried to make himself 'appear' remorseful and cooperative during his confession with the sole purpose of how this would all look later in court. It wouldn't surprise me at all if his half-arsed suicide attempt was part of his campaign- "Hey everybody, I'm so broken up and ashamed by this- look- I just cut my wrists, please don't lock me up for life as I'm hurting enough as it is can't you see.."

Funny isn't it how any sense of personal accountability and remorse just vanished in a puff of smoke once he'd had a chance, while sitting around on remand, to come up with a version of events to try to wriggle out of it /try to 'get a better deal' through the absurd manslaughter plea bargain effort.

Now he thinks HE's been given a raw deal "But I only killed that one woman - why am I being punished like I'm some kind of serial killer? It's just not fair! I thought I'd be out in twenty, twenty-five max!" Poor Adrian, life's so tough for some- especially those who use 'manifestly excessive' measures to take whatever they want regardless of the consequences.

Jill Meagher's killer, Adrian Bayley, has had $12,559 in fines converted into 87 days jail. To be served concurrently, i.e. no extra time.

Kate Osborn (@_kate_osborn)
23/07/13 2:23 PM

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atriumproperties