GUILTY Australia - Jill Meagher, 29, Melbourne, 22 Sep 2012 #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
And to top it off he was not even registered on the national sex offenders list.
*as was reported on 3aw talk back radio this morning.

And to top it off he was not even registered on the national sex offenders list.
*as was reported on 3aw talk back radio this morning.

Good point Scoobysnack! How are convicted criminals of sex attacks become 'eligible' to be registered?

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/
Secret Report into Parole Failings Revealed After Court Battle.

Secret government report into Victoria's parole system failures revealed after court ruling
ELISSA HUNT, HERALD SUN, AUGUST 22, 2013 3:55PM.

A REPORT the government tried to keep secret reveals a litany of catastrophic failures in the cases of nine parolees who killed when set free.

Thanks for the work of Journos who pursued this information through FOI for the benefit of informing the interested public.

Have Kevin Rudd and Tony Abbott forgotten about cases like Jill Meagher's?

August 23, 2013

SARAH Langston was having a good day until a man brutally smashed her to the ground just a few hundred metres from her home.

And then about 8pm a man assaulted her. Just as Jill Meagher was two months later and Sharon Siermans - a mother of a four-year-old boy - was in May.

Now she has issued a public call-to-arms. She wants whoever is elected Prime Minister to call a meeting of the Attorneys-General from every state to urgently discuss strengthening rape laws

Attorney-General Mark Dreyfus has placed the matter on the table for the next meeting of the Standing Council on Law and Justice in October.

http://www.news.com.au/national-new...7s/story-fncynjr2-1226702920731#ixzz2cmIrSRC8

August 23, 2013

SARAH Langston was having a good day until a man brutally smashed her to the ground just a few hundred metres from her home.

And then about 8pm a man assaulted her. Just as Jill Meagher was two months later and Sharon Siermans - a mother of a four-year-old boy - was in May.

Now she has issued a public call-to-arms. She wants whoever is elected Prime Minister to call a meeting of the Attorneys-General from every state to urgently discuss strengthening rape laws

Attorney-General Mark Dreyfus has placed the matter on the table for the next meeting of the Standing Council on Law and Justice in October.

http://www.news.com.au/national-new...7s/story-fncynjr2-1226702920731#ixzz2cmIrSRC8

They have never forgotten because they have NEVER remembered.

If anyone in government publishes or produces an article about why men are scared of a prostate check. This is a non violent probe of an oriface by a medical practitioner.

They won't strengthen rape laws until they understand that a unauthorised prostate check, while not violent is humiliating.

Moo

August 23, 2013

This is kind of what I was getting at with my question, why is this not spoken about in a Federal sense.... with the election coming up.

This is kind of what I was getting at with my question, why is this not spoken about in a Federal sense.... with the election coming up.

Scoobysnack, I think that States have control over the criminal justice system and so it is not the responsibility of the Federal government. That is why it isn't a Federal election issue.

Scoobysnack, I think that States have control over the criminal justice system and so it is not the responsibility of the Federal government. That is why it isn't a Federal election issue.

Ahhh many thanks for answering and clearing that up.
I really believe this SHOULD be a federal matter, it would make such a difference.

The point made above regarding five sex workers saying they did not take action against Bayley because of their concerns re: the police brings to mind general rape reporting statistics, and how infrequently the crime is reported.

Seeing the astronomical amount of charges that Bayley has already served time for, and will hopefully be taken to task for in 2014... the guy has committed over 20 rapes that we know of. I'm horrified to think of the incredible likelihood that other victims of his have not come forward over the decades that he has actively hurt women. There will never be a way of knowing the full extent of his crimes.

This being said, I'm new here - the usual long time lurker deal - and Jill Meagher has haunted me since it first happened. I wish peace to her family and friends.

Jill haunts me too. She worked at the ABC and I think she mixed with people who could 'project their voice'. I was taught in high school health class that no one wants to intervene in a rape. We were taught to scream 'Fire!' It causes people to be involved in loss of property and not a burly man...

There is a new rape reported in MSM today in Vic.

7 News Melbourne. 9yrs 3mths jail for lonely man who raped a woman at Lalor & molested 9 others on nthn suburbs bike paths. "Every woman's fear," said judge.

Kate Osborn (@_kate_osborn)
11/09/13 10:39 AM

This article is truly staggering:
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/la...ht-other-attacks/story-fni0fee2-1226700959496

This quote speaks directly about a case we have mentioned here in websleuths:

Bayley was not considered a suspect by police following complaints by two women in mid-2012 of being sexually assaulted in the St Kilda area despite police issuing a face-fit image with characteristics similar to Bayley.
A Dutch backpacker, who was raped on July 15 last year, told the media of being driven into a laneway and attacked.
Ms Meagher was raped and killed in a Brunswick laneway two months later on September 22.

There was even speculation right here on websleuths regarding the Meagher case and whether Bayley had used the ‘someone is after you, I’ll give you a lift to safety’ ruse- as he had used on the Dutch backpacker. We now know that was not the case.
1) Another case we speculated about here was the bike-path flasher who was wearing the purple hoodie. He looked suspiciously like bayley and lived in a nearby area. I wonder where that case went
2) also, the 'nunchakas' weirdo in that case with the girl walking late at night with her friends, where the assailant boasted he would choke her with his black gloves. This case is truly worrying because it sounded alarmingly like bayley.

Another quote:

The 41-year-old has been charged with further counts of rape from 2012 and another from 2000, which he is contesting.

We aren’t told much about those other two rapes, other than the Dutch backpacker story.

Another quote:

Following a major internal review, police have even investigated an information report linking Bayley with the Claremont killings, having lived in Perth, but he was eliminated as a suspect.

In the very early days of the Meagher case, the Claremont killings were expressly mentioned on this forum as possibly having been committed by Bayley. As it states, he lived in Perth at the time. Although his involvement has been discounted apparently, I wouldn’t be too sure. The police seem to screw things up. If there is any doubt of that, just read one last quote from the article, which attests to this:

At least five sex workers who identified Bayley as their attacker refused to go to court to testify against him the following year (2002) because they did not trust police.

Now, i am not sure what is going on here, though i recall that he was charged with raping 5 sex workers. So, if 5 rejected going ahead with charges, does that mean he potentially raped 10? And he was not on a database of registered sex offenders and had no DNA on file. That's despicable!!!!!

To say I am flabbergasted regarding the contents of that article is an understatement. I am absolutely appalled at how the judicial, legal, policing systems fail our citizens. It’s just unforgivable.

Depressing article Paulie11. That Bayley wasn't on a sex offender register is just about one of the most absurd things I've ever heard!!!!

For a start, creatures like that repulsive troll should have a big "R" for Rapist branded on their forehead and numerous other locations across their bodies, (not to mention surgically implanted GPS devices which can't be switched off or removed, and which automatically enter 'auto-taser mode' at the sound of close proximity screaming).

If nothing else, people have a right to some kind of clear warning indicator when negligent bureaucrats make the naive, trusting and dangerous call to let people like Bayley roam the streets.

And if that means a lonely life, ostracised by the community, so be it. These people should be infinitely grateful the law doesn't permit 'stoning' anymore, though to be totally blunt and to the point (like a stone hurled squarely at Bayley's temple), sadistic creatures like that really deserve no more consideration than a rock to the head in my opinion.

End of rant.

On page 58 of the "Marie Claire Australia" October Issue there is a 5 page article on Jill.

"How one woman changed our lives"
A year on, marie claire spoke to four people touched by Jill Meagher.

It includes Jill's manager, peace march organiser, her close friend, the guy who constructed a stone memorial (later moved by the council), and the woman from the clothing shop that provided the police with the CCTV footage.
whats-in-the-mag-the-mag-october-2013

I wonder, what has changed in a year, if anything?

I can't believe it's almost a year.. I will never forget waking up and hearing they had found her :(

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/la...gher8217s-legacy/story-fni0ffnk-1226723990567
PAROLE REFORM IS JILL MEAGHER'S LEGACY
AUSTRALIA'S toughest parole laws and a fierce community spirit are part of Jill Meagher's legacy.
In August, former High Court judge Ian Callinan delivered damning findings of a government-commissioned review of the parole system.
The State Government recently made breaching parole a crime.
Recent legal changes include automatic cancellation of parole for offenders who commit further crimes.
Justice Ian Callinan recommended major reforms, which include releasing dangerous offenders on parole only when the risk of further offending was "negligible".
He suggested public safety could be better served by keeping high-risk offenders locked up.

September 20, 2013

A year after Jill Meagher's death, police say street crime in the inner north is down and relations with the community are stronger, with a senior officer backing a street march to mark the anniversary of one of the most shocking crimes in the city's recent history.

"I think the innocence of everyone within Moreland was shattered a year ago and we will live with that for a very long time,” said local area commander Inspector Dean McGowan.

“We play a very big role in trying to protect the community [but] it just reminds us that we're only human as well.”

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/s...ghers-death-20130920-2u4nr.html#ixzz2fQzErd56

Jill's gone, but we live and learn from the horror

September 21, 2013

Twelve months ago today, Jill Meagher spent a final evening with friends, and then vanished. We remember what it was like, vividly, because the heartbreaking fullness of her fate is now known. She was abducted, raped and murdered

Look no further for proof that Jill Meagher will not go away than the 30,000 people who marched down Sydney Road, who would not let her slip into obscurity. Philip Werner, the Brunswick man who organised that peace rally and is doing so again next weekend, said her fate - her very life and death - meant too much to too many to simply move on.

A peace march down Sydney Road, from Moreland Road to Brunswick Road, is being held on Sunday, September 29, starting at noon.

Sexual Assault Crisis Line: 1800 806 292

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/j...-the-horror-20130920-2u5jr.html#ixzz2fRPyRcrM

Thinking of Jill�� a year ago tonight she was in the bar with mates probably giggling away, a few hrs later gone��

Never forgotten xx

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gretyr
Back